Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Squire Smart
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

For audiophiles - Elvis on your headphones

Post by Squire Smart »

I have recently started listening to music more on headphones recently through my hifi. However whilst the majority of my cds sound good going through the headphones (AKG-550s), some of Elvis' FTD or Legacy albums sound a bit 'busy' and thin (Elvis Country in particular).

Have others found this or is there a conflict between the amp and CD player? CD player is newish after my Denon DCD-820 packed up. When played through my speakers, Mission 720e, the sound is full.

Amp: Denon PMA-720 (first generation, not the new version)
CD: Marantz CD5005
Headphones: AKG 550

Probably no easy answer but I welcome your thoughts on the matter.

Squire Smart

skatterbrane

Re: For audiophiles - Elvis on your headphones

Post by skatterbrane »

Most serious audiophiles do not listen through headphones, even though there are some very highend headphones out there, such as Stax and so on. But I have never heard headphones that can live up to the potential of very good speakers.

mrbthebarber
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by mrbthebarber »

Squire Smart wrote:I have recently started listening to music more on headphones recently through my hifi. However whilst the majority of my cds sound good going through the headphones (AKG-550s), some of Elvis' FTD or Legacy albums sound a bit 'busy' and thin (Elvis Country in particular).

Have others found this or is there a conflict between the amp and CD player? CD player is newish after my Denon DCD-820 packed up. When played through my speakers, Mission 720e, the sound is full.

Amp: Denon PMA-720 (first generation, not the new version)
CD: Marantz CD5005
Headphones: AKG 550

Probably no easy answer but I welcome your thoughts on the matter.

It's not the FTDs that's the problem it's those headphones ... I bought a pair, SERIOUSLY lacking in bottom end, had them a week & sold them & returned to my amazing Grado 80s. Throw those AKGs away, most all internet reviews on them say how lacking in depth and bass they are. Probably the nicest asthetically & most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, yet probably the lousiest sound! If you know anyone with some Grado 80s or above, borrow them & compare ...

"Growing old is mandatory...........growing up is optional ;-) "

nicod98
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by nicod98 »

I love my AKG headphones. I use lower grade ones for recording, and high end AKG's for mastering and just listening to music.

I can relate to the OP, some releases sound great on headphones, others need some nice speakers...

When recording stuff for radio I always do the car stereo test. Sometimes if it sounds great on headphones or on studio monitors it's just crap on car stereo's, but since a lot of people listen to the radio in the car, that can be a reference as well... ;-)

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

I mainly listen through headphones these days (Sennheisser HDR185) as its usually late in the evening when I listen and my 19 yr old daughter gave me a row for playing my music too loud -there's a role reversal for you !- but no, I've not heard any sound problems with any Elvis material through my headphones.Elvis Country sounds great to me on the 'phones.

norrie

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

I used AKG K240s throughout my entire career in radio (25+ years). I've never listened to anything that comes close. Problem is, you need a preamp. Smartphones, CD players, etc. don't have them, and you just can't get any volume.

I still have my Mackie 1202 console, and run the cans through it.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Eggrert »

I'm no audiophile, though I've been at the homes of several friends who had pretty fantastic speaker systems. With that caveat, I'll say that music has never sounded better to me than it has through my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. The only possible exceptions are brickwalled releases, where speakers are least don't lead to ear fatigue quite as quickly. But even there, headphones tend to give a more fulfilling listening experience.

Mister Mike
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Mister Mike »

I've been listening to music almost exclusively through headphones for the past 43 years. Guess I'm not a serious audiophile....

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

Rob
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Rob »

I never listen to Elvis as background music unless it's XM Radio when I'm driving. Otherwise, I sit with the headphones on to enjoy the Presley magic.

And I love the sound I get.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

janti
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by janti »

skatterbrane wrote:Most serious audiophiles do not listen through headphones, even though there are some very highend headphones out there, such as Stax and so on. But I have never heard headphones that can live up to the potential of very good speakers.

First time I've heard that! The reality is the opposite. Serious audiophiles (like me) listen through good headphones. :)

JAn

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

I'll let you boys fight over who has the best equipment, meanwhile I'll enjoy the music.

mike edwards66
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by mike edwards66 »

Never use headphones.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

mike edwards66 wrote:Never use headphones.
I hardly ever.

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

Whenever I listen to music through headphones, it's just the earbuds that came with my iPod a year or so ago. They work perfectly fine for me.

trouble_jw
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by trouble_jw »

I always listen to Elvis on headphones. I use bowers & wilkins P5 series 2 and the sound is breathtaking, with a warm balance of high and low end sounds. Not over kill on bass like many more commercial headphones. I hear things using these headphones that I never knew were there when listening to Elvis CDs I've had for years. Love them.

"If you're looking for trouble_jw......you came to the right place"

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 4 months

Post by Scoobie »

I love my headphones, Grado SR 80's, 90% of my listening is done this way.
Nothing beats it for intamacy and soundstage.

mrbthebarber
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by mrbthebarber »

Scoobie wrote:I love my headphones, Grado SR 80's, 90% of my listening is done this way.
Yep, killer phones the Grado 80's ( tho I prefer listening to my Focal Aria speakers ) apart from personally finding them uncomfortable, hence trying the AKGs that "SquireSmart" mentions at the top of the post ... Super comfy phones & look amazing but sound cr*p compared to the Grados, so I sold them after a week & the few times I use phones I suffer the discomfort the Grados give me!
SquireSmart says his FTDs sound great thru his Mission speakers ( they were my last speakers & nice they were too ) but not through his AKGs, where they sound "busy & thin" which is exactly how I found them to be with SO little bottom end to them. I've had better cheap in ear phones ... BUT it's all subjective & down to personal taste I guess. I do think if he had some Grados to compare with he'd be somewhat surprised tho ...

"Growing old is mandatory...........growing up is optional ;-) "

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by emjel »

I'm using Bose QuietComfort 25 - great sound and super on the comfort part too. Re speakers, thinking of buying a pair of Dynaudio Excite x14's they are quite compact but seem to have a decent but tight base sound for bookshelf speakers. Anyone out there got them.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 4 months

Post by Scoobie »

SteamrollerBlues wrote:Whenever I listen to music through headphones, it's just the earbuds that came with my iPod a year or so ago. They work perfectly fine for me.
Apple Earbuds! oh my, you are really missing out, I would suggest upgrading to..... anything else! these are quite poor really, you are not getting the best from your music.
Just my opinion of course, it is up to you, as they say "pay your money, take your choice!"

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Scoobie wrote:
SteamrollerBlues wrote:Whenever I listen to music through headphones, it's just the earbuds that came with my iPod a year or so ago. They work perfectly fine for me.
Apple Earbuds! oh my, you are really missing out, I would suggest upgrading to..... anything else!
Don't do it!!!!

The biggest mistake anyone ever makes is listening to people who tell them that "for a few pounds/dollars/euros you can get a better sounding pair of earbuds/headphones/CD player/amplifier/speakers." If you're happy with what you have, then stick with them. Because if you don't, here's what will happen.

You'll buy a pair of earbuds for a tenner, and you'll immediately convince yourself that they sound miles better. You'll use them, and love them, and then one day you'll be sat with nothing to do and your mind will drift and you'll think... "Hmmm. I only paid £10 for these, and they sound great. But look here, there's a pair of earbuds, the next model up, and they're only £15. If £10 earbuds sound great, then £15 earbuds must sound excellent..." And they do! Or you tell yourself they do. But the happiness doesn't last, because look, there's a pair here for £30 and they get five star reviews...

And so on. At one time I could have shown you a box with a couple of dozen sets of earbuds, alongside a dozen pairs of headphones, all sat unused. Many hundreds of pounds spent, and yet I was never unhappy with the ones that came free with my iPod.

JamieAKelley
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by JamieAKelley »

For working out, I use TTPOD t1-enhanced bass headphones. Pretty awesome, really.

For my main listening it's my studio speakers, KRK Rokit 8's (not the new versions, the bigger older ones). My studio headphones are no slouch, though - EX-29 Extreme Isolation headphones. Not a bad price, and amazing sound. Comfortable, too.

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I recommend my kids (not that they listen) to avoid earbuds,headphones, as much as they can. Especially with music of the last decade and beyond. One word. LOUD. Damage to one's hearing takes decades to manifest itself.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Could you repeat that, I didn't hear you.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

skatterbrane wrote:Could you repeat that, I didn't hear you.
Too Late! :lol:

Topic author
Squire Smart
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Squire Smart »

mrbthebarber wrote:
Scoobie wrote:I love my headphones, Grado SR 80's, 90% of my listening is done this way.
Yep, killer phones the Grado 80's ( tho I prefer listening to my Focal Aria speakers ) apart from personally finding them uncomfortable, hence trying the AKGs that "SquireSmart" mentions at the top of the post ... Super comfy phones & look amazing but sound cr*p compared to the Grados, so I sold them after a week & the few times I use phones I suffer the discomfort the Grados give me!
SquireSmart says his FTDs sound great thru his Mission speakers ( they were my last speakers & nice they were too ) but not through his AKGs, where they sound "busy & thin" which is exactly how I found them to be with SO little bottom end to them. I've had better cheap in ear phones ... BUT it's all subjective & down to personal taste I guess. I do think if he had some Grados to compare with he'd be somewhat surprised tho ...
Well I may well check out some Grado SR 80s, they are 'relatively' affordable, although I note that they are on-ear rather than over ear. Do they leak alot? Also, what's the head band like?

Squire Smart