Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind

Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 pm

The story is known: Neil Diamond had a recording session planned at American Sound Studios, but had to postpone this for Elvis was allowed to go first. When Diamond could record there in January 1969, one of his recordings was his self penned "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" for his fourth studio album "Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show". It wasn't Chips Moman who produced this particular song, it was Neil Diamond himself (according to: https://www.discogs.com/Neil-Diamond-Brother-Loves-Travelling-Salvation-ShowSweet-Caroline/release/1477203 )

When Elvis recorded his version in the same studio on February 17/18, Diamond's (original) version wasn't released yet.

Neil Diamond's version:

Elvis' version was over-dubbed on May 7, 1969. Here's the un-dubbed version as posted on YouTube by rjm:

Another beautiful and well known version is this one, by Mark Lindsay in 1970:

From 1971. Billy J Kramer (William Howard Ashton):

In 1972 Gloria Loring released a version on her album "Sing A Song For The Mountain". Unfortunately this version is not to be found on YouTube and the like.

And in 2015 this version was released:

Which one do you like the most?

Re: And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind

Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Elvis' original 69 recording, followed by Diamond's own version.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:07 pm

One of my favorite Elvis-songs. Also like Mark Lindsays version. Can someone confirm if Elvis did a complete vocal overdub on the song 9/26-69?

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:19 pm

egilj wrote:One of my favorite Elvis-songs. Also like Mark Lindsays version. Can someone confirm if Elvis did a complete vocal overdub on the song 9/26-69?

According to Keith Flynn's site there were no overdubs for this song on September 26, 1969.

http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/60_index_03.html

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:47 pm

The only version I've heard beside Elvis' is Neil Diamond. And I must say Elvis did a very good job on this. I've always liked Elvis' version the better. And I think the RPO version also came off very well. I was surprised that the song was included and impressed how well they had arranged it. :smt020

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:54 pm

bajo wrote:The only version I've heard beside Elvis' is Neil Diamond. And I must say Elvis did a very good job on this. I've always liked Elvis' version the better. And I think the RPO version also came off very well. I was surprised that the song was included and impressed how well they had arranged it. :smt020

I agree. Was a nice surprise and very pleasant to listen to.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:00 pm

I've never been much of a Neil Diamond fan except for a couple of tracks, "I Am, I Said" and "Sweet Caroline" (even though my all-time favorite drummer, Ronnie Tutt, has worked with Neil for over thirty-five years (which I didn't find out until Neil released the CD, "Tennessee Moon" sometime in the 1990s and had a TNN television special regarding the show).

However, I love Elvis's version of "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" and always have - it's delivery is delicate and punchy (in the verses and chorus, respectively) and Elvis pulls it off very well.

BTW, I listened to some tracks from the new "Elvis & The RPO" CD and, even though I seriously had my doubts about the CD, I must admit that I'm blown away by a lot of the tracks!! It's amazing what they did with some of the material!!

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I've never been much of a Neil Diamond fan except for a couple of tracks, "I Am, I Said" and "Sweet Caroline" (even though my all-time favorite drummer, Ronnie Tutt, has worked with Neil for over thirty-five years (which I didn't find out until Neil released the CD, "Tennessee Moon" sometime in the 1990s and had a TNN television special regarding the show).

However, I love Elvis's version of "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" and always have - it's delivery is delicate and punchy (in the verses and chorus, respectively) and Elvis pulls it off very well.

BTW, I listened to some tracks from the new "Elvis & The RPO" CD and, even though I seriously had my doubts about the CD, I must admit that I'm blown away by a lot of the tracks!! It's amazing what they did with some of the material!!

Hi, Tony. Is the new RPO CD out? I was pleasantly surprised by the first one. Despite some minor flaws, it's quite enjoyable. I hope the new one is on par.

As for "And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind", I love Elvis's original version as well as the delicately executed RPO version. The song is a definitive career highlight for me.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Tony Trout wrote:However, I love Elvis's version of "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" and always have - it's delivery is delicate and punchy (in the verses and chorus, respectively) and Elvis pulls it off very well.

Couldn't have said it better Tony - I absolutely love this song.

One of my faves from the Memphis sessions.

Andy

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:13 pm

This was the one RPO version I liked

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:18 pm

The official master by Elvis.

Such a beauty...

Brooklyn Roads is one of my favorites of Neil Diamond, by the way. Together with Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:25 pm

The final overdubs done in Nashville on May 7, 1969. Beautiful! The RPO version was exquisitely done, in my opinion.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Juan Luis wrote:The final overdubs done in Nashville on May 7, 1969. Beautiful! The RPO version was exquisitely done, in my opinion.

It certainly was Juan.

HMV in Newcastle upon Tyne were playing the 'If I Can Dream' CD a lot at time of release.

It certainly was a highlight for me when walking in and hearing this playing very loud.

Andy

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:48 pm

Love both Elvis' and Neil's versions of this song equally. I've always wondered, though, why Diamond's recordings at American Sound sound so much better (cleaner) than Elvis'.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:01 pm

There are a number of examples where Elvis' cover of a song does not surpass the original or other readings, however, in this case, Elvis' version cannot be beat.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Absolutely agree.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:33 pm

midnightx wrote:There are a number of examples where Elvis' cover of a song does not surpass the original or other readings, however, in this case, Elvis' version cannot be beat.

Most of those examples came late in his career when he considered recording a hobby and a chore to get through. When he cared and was at his best, he invariably did the best versions.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks Mike. This is one of the greats from American Sound Studio, in my opinion. Elvis' voice is perfect in delivery. The arrangement is perfect. He is so convincing in this song. Elvis' version surpasses all of the others including that of Neil Diamond. A real gem from Elvis!

rlj

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Elvis's version is superb and one of the best SOUNDING tracks from the American sessions.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Elvis_Presley___The_Royal_Philharmonic_Orchestra_And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind

http://www112.zippyshare.com/v/5ptsPft3/file.html

Hello Everybody ; this version is really beautiful :smt006

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Elvis' cover of the Neil Diamond song is indeed a lovely, remarkable piece of work. Everything about it is note-perfect, from arrangement to production to the masterful vocal leading the way. This is an artist in full control of his powers, while still being totally relaxed.

Elvis sings: Listen easy ... (band pauses) … you can hear Chips calling.

Chips: Still rolling.

- before elegant master take 6 of "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind"

The Diamond version shows a co-production credit with Tom Catalano:

700425_Uni 55224.jpg
Neil Diamond "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" (Uni 55424, April 25, 1970)
1969 album cut reissued as B-side a year later.

Neil's first American Sound single, "Brother Love’s Travelling Salvation Show," was issued in February 1969, reaching US #22 Pop on Billboard, his first Top 40 hit in almost two years. Coming next would be "Sweet Caroline," which would propel him to superstardom. Mark Lindsay's sunshine pop version of "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" (Columbia 4-45229, September 5, 1970) would bounce around the top 40 as an A-side (Billboard "Hot 100" #44, November 14, 1970, Cash Box "Top 100" #37, November 14, 1970).

Read more here:

Mark vs. Elvis --> Whose Grass Is Better?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86337
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:17 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Absolutely agree.

Me too.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis' cover of the Neil Diamond song is indeed a lovely, remarkable piece of work. Everything about it is note-perfect, from arrangement to production to the masterful vocal leading the way. This is an artist in full control of his powers, while still being totally relaxed.

Elvis sings: Listen easy ... (band pauses) … you can hear Chips calling.

Chips: Still rolling.

- before elegant master take 6 of "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind"

The Diamond version shows a co-production credit with Tom Catalano:

700425_Uni 55224.jpg
Neil Diamond "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" (Uni 55424, April 25, 1970)
1969 album cut reissued as B-side a year later.

Neil's first American Sound single, "Brother Love’s Travelling Salvation Show," was issued in February 1969, reaching US #22 Pop on Billboard, his first Top 40 hit in almost two years. Coming next would be "Sweet Caroline," which would propel him to superstardom. Mark Lindsay's sunshine pop version of "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" (Columbia 4-45229, September 5, 1970) would bounce around the top 40 as an A-side (Billboard "Hot 100" #44, November 14, 1970, Cash Box "Top 100" #37, November 14, 1970).

Read more here:

Mark vs. Elvis --> Whose Grass Is Better?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86337

Very informative. Thanks!

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:13 pm

I enjoy this song very much....

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Chucky99 wrote:I enjoy this song very much....

What Neil Had to say about this song: "This song was pure stream of consciousness, written more to capture amoment in time than to tell a story. I still like the way it feels to sing this song."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWctTMg1l4