Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Topic author
andy0049
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Never Been to Spain

Post by andy0049 »

Never Been to Spain is one of my favorite tunes from the 70s. The composition suited Elvis perfectly. He could really utilize his vocal abilities and the TCB band and JG orchestra helped create a rich and powerful in-your-face concert number for Elvis.

That said, I've always been struck by how none of the recordings of the songs captured the above raw power. To me the far superior version was captured On Tour in April '72. Both Elvis and the backing is displayed in full force and it represents one of the highlights of the On Tour documentary.

Even the versions recorded at MSG are not up to standard. Especially the JG orchestra sounds kind of flimsy and unable to create that wall of sound.

Others feel the same? And if so was there something magical that happened that night in San Antonio or are the subsequent versions just substandard because of poor recording?

Juan Luis

Re: Never Been to Spain

Post by Juan Luis »

I like very much the version that James Burton does an "on fire" solo from 1972 Vegas. That's the one (including mix and mastering) that came out in the compilation "Burning Love" that I prefer as of today.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

andy0049 wrote:Never Been to Spain is one of my favorite tunes from the 70s. The composition suited Elvis perfectly. He could really utilize his vocal abilities and the TCB band and JG orchestra helped create a rich and powerful in-your-face concert number for Elvis.

That said, I've always been struck by how none of the recordings of the songs captured the above raw power. To me the far superior version was captured On Tour in April '72. Both Elvis and the backing is displayed in full force and it represents one of the highlights of the On Tour documentary.

Even the versions recorded at MSG are not up to standard. Especially the JG orchestra sounds kind of flimsy and unable to create that wall of sound.

Others feel the same? And if so was there something magical that happened that night in San Antonio or are the subsequent versions just substandard because of poor recording?
Do you think Elvis should have covered more Three Dog Night hits?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
andy0049

Post by andy0049 »

Off topic Doctor!

drjohncarpenter

andy0049 wrote:Off topic Doctor!
"Never Been to Spain" was a hit single for Three Dog Night. The topic clearly reads "Never Been to Spain." Elvis had to have heard their single in order to get the idea to add it to his set.

How in the world is my post "Off topic"?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by fn2drive »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
"Never Been to Spain" was a hit single for Three Dog Night. The topic clearly reads "Never Been to Spain." Elvis had to have heard their single in order to get the idea to add it to his set.

How in the world is my post "Off topic"?
Seems like a totally reasonable question to me. Then again 3 Dog Night had access to top songwriters so maybe that why it would be off topic. In any event always wondered whether it wss the connection to the song, writer Hoyt Axton or both. I,m sure my post will be off topic too.

Edit. Always though he should have covered their cover of Leo Sayers The Show Must Go On which would have benn biographical to the extreme.
Last edited by fn2drive on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

By asking if Elvis should have recorded more hits by said group, would lead to the same old beating of the dead horse of Elvis doing covers. The start of a derailment keenly observed by the OP.

"Never Been To Spain" from ON TOUR is my second favourite version.

Topic author
andy0049

Post by andy0049 »

Always looking to get in to a fight aren't you, Doc? I enjoy your posts and won't take the bait.

My inquiry was really about why Elvis' version in San Antinio is so much better than any of his other attempts. But if you want to expand on the topic please don't hesitate - not looking for a fight with anyone!

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by fn2drive »

andy0049 wrote:Never Been to Spain is one of my favorite tunes from the 70s. The composition suited Elvis perfectly. He could really utilize his vocal abilities and the TCB band and JG orchestra helped create a rich and powerful in-your-face concert number for Elvis.

The evening MSG performance is tops. I do not believe the JG orchestra played at any MSG performance though he did conduct-listen to Elvis band introductions.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Davelee »

I've never been there either.
Last edited by Davelee on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frus75
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by frus75 »

fn2drive wrote:

The evening MSG performance is tops. I do not believe the JG orchestra played at any MSG performance though he did conduct-listen to Elvis band introductions.

In this great article, it explains all about the orchestra in the MSG shows

http://www.jazzwax.com/2012/11/elvis-and-al-june-1972.html

Iván

La voz del Rey

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Afternoon MSG ain't bad either.

drjohncarpenter

andy0049 wrote:Always looking to get in to a fight aren't you, Doc? I enjoy your posts and won't take the bait.

My inquiry was really about why Elvis' version in San Antinio is so much better than any of his other attempts. But if you want to expand on the topic please don't hesitate - not looking for a fight with anyone!
There was no bait, just an on-topic question. But it seems you just want to wave pom-poms, and not allow an open chat.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
andy0049

Post by andy0049 »

Dude, I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with you (maybe others can weigh in?) but I'm pretty sure I specifically said that I would welcome any thought you may have on this or any pertaining subject.

You should try yoga or something.

drjohncarpenter

andy0049 wrote:Dude, I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with you (maybe others can weigh in?) but I'm pretty sure I specifically said that I would welcome any thought you may have on this or any pertaining subject.

You should try yoga or something.

Who posted this, minutes after my first comment?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
andy0049

Post by andy0049 »

My dear friend Doc, although you're clearly not okay today I still enjoy your posts, both in terms of substance and eloquence, and refuse to get into any beef with you (no matter how hard you try)!

Why do you think the San Antonio version is so much better, at least the backing?