Favorite Elvis 70's studio albums...

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

MoodyBlue1963
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Favorite Elvis 70's studio albums...

Post by MoodyBlue1963 »

My five favourites are

Promised Land
Elvis Country
TTWII
Moody Blue
From E.P. Boulevard

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

Elvis (Fool)

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

midnightx wrote:Elvis (Fool)
U a damn lie ....

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
Mike in New Jersey
Registered for: 20 years 10 months
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

Post by Mike in New Jersey »

I knew it :-)

Matt Helm
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Matt Helm »

Hi Friends;
Promised Land/Raised On Rock...for me a perfect double feature in this order :D
Elvis Country
TODAY

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

fn2drive wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:I find it surprising that so many of you like the "He Touched Me" album.
To me these recordings from early 1971 is the beginning of the end ......
"There goes my everything" has great vocal but approx 10 month later "He is my everything" is just the opposite :(
You hit the nail on the head. Because it is Gospel and Elvis recorded it, it must be considered outstanding. There are a few fantastic performances but mostly Elvis was merely going through the motions with weakmsong choices. He is my everything is everything wrong with Elvis and the Elvis system.
I respect your opinion of the "He Touched Me" album and your thoughts regarding the quality of the material. However, your statement IS NOT why I selected it as a favorite. I simply enjoy the album and Elvis' reading of the material. I especially enjoy Elvis and The Imperials whenever they are together! The original album is a good quality album, and if I remember correctly, it earned Elvis a Grammy. I also enjoy the FTD treatment of this album.

rlj

jerrynodak

Post by jerrynodak »

Moody Blue
That's The Way It Is
Elvis Country
Love Letters
From EP Blvd

If the thread was titled Favorite '70's albums inclusive, my list would be different.
Last edited by jerrynodak on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fabbe
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Fabbe »

country
ttwiis
promised land
he touched me
world of christmas
moody blue

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 9 years

Post by Davelee »

Elvis Country is definitely the best studio album of the 70s, no doubt about it. Its not an album i play very often because the songs are not the sort of songs i gor for.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

rlj4ep wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:I find it surprising that so many of you like the "He Touched Me" album.
"There goes my everything" has great vocal but approx 10 month later "He is my everything" is just the opposite :(
You hit the nail on the head. Because it is Gospel and Elvis recorded it, it must be considered outstanding. There are a few fantastic performances but mostly Elvis was merely going through the motions with weakmsong choices. He is my everything is everything wrong with Elvis and the Elvis system.
I respect your opinion of the "He Touched Me" album and your thoughts regarding the quality of the material. However, your statement IS NOT why I selected it as a favorite. I simply enjoy the album and Elvis' reading of the material. I especially enjoy Elvis and The Imperials whenever they are together! The original album is a good quality album, and if I remember correctly, it earned Elvis a Grammy. I also enjoy the FTD treatment of this album.

rlj
Is it so He touched me won the Grammy Award: Best Inspirational Performance, 1972?

jerrynodak

Post by jerrynodak »

Yes, it is so.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

jerrynodak wrote:Yes, it is so.
thanks! He didn't receive many for his LPs

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Davelee wrote:Elvis Country is definitely the best studio album of the 70s, no doubt about it. Its not an album i play very often because the songs are not the sort of songs i gor for.
That's exactly how I feel about it. A great Lp, but not one that I play often.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

r&b

Post by r&b »

And while nice, I also say big deal, 3 Grammys all for gospel. It would have been nice if he had competed in the pop field a little more on his albums for a Grammy. FEIM should have been up for one. After that no album was worthy of a nomination. You see the awards show, and Stevie Woner has a ton, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, so many artists have multiple wins. They are always mentioned. 3, none for secular music. Again, nice, but big deal, Who really knows his gospel work except his fan base? So He Touched Me wins, Who was he really competing against. If Stevie had put one out, he may have lost!

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

rlj4ep wrote:
fn2drive wrote:

rlj
Compared to much of the post 1970 material i understand why someone would highly rate it. The few excellent performances are well excellent. As an example the alternate of Amazing Grace on the 70s box is one of the best 70s performances. But HTM is not even in the same league as his previous 3 gospel outings. He seemed as disinterested in this as he did the Xmas album. And most of the material is weak. Then the Now tracks- Put your hand in the hand? Thankfully it didnt make the cut. And for me at least Miracle of the Rosary is a great vocal performance on a track that was properly omitted-but he conveys lots of emotion.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

r&b wrote:
And while nice, I also say big deal, 3 Grammys all for gospel. It would have been nice if he had competed in the pop field a little more on his albums for a Grammy. FEIM should have been up for one. After that no album was worthy of a nomination. You see the awards show, and Stevie Woner has a ton, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, so many artists have multiple wins. They are always mentioned. 3, none for secular music. Again, nice, but big deal, Who really knows his gospel work except his fan base? So He Touched Me wins, Who was he really competing against. If Stevie had put one out, he may have lost!

Then go and become a Stevie fan.

Surely I'm not the only one thinking it?

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

r&b wrote:
I don't know what was the competition - but against all the others, that year, Elvis won the race. And receiving an award is an artistic achievement.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by drjohncarpenter »

I must admit, that cover photo is awesome!

r&b wrote:
And while nice, I also say big deal, 3 Grammys all for gospel. It would have been nice if he had competed in the pop field a little more on his albums for a Grammy. FEIM should have been up for one. After that no album was worthy of a nomination. You see the awards show, and Stevie Wonder has a ton, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, so many artists have multiple wins. They are always mentioned. 3, none for secular music. Again, nice, but big deal, Who really knows his gospel work except his fan base? So He Touched Me wins, Who was he really competing against. If Stevie had put one out, he may have lost!
It's certainly without question that there is a validation to Grammy success on the pop level, and the fact that Elvis was invisible remains the fault of his substandard movie year work and lackluster efforts in the 1970s. That said, the Beatles dominated the 1960s pop marketplace, yet Grammy victories mostly eluded them. So the Grammys are suspect on some level, too.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/celebrity/elvis_presley/awards.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_the_Beatles#Grammy_Awards

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Grammys, like Oscars are a "thank you" note for making the industry a lot of money (in general).

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I must admit, that cover photo is awesome!

r&b wrote:
And while nice, I also say big deal, 3 Grammys all for gospel. It would have been nice if he had competed in the pop field a little more on his albums for a Grammy. FEIM should have been up for one. After that no album was worthy of a nomination. You see the awards show, and Stevie Wonder has a ton, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, so many artists have multiple wins. They are always mentioned. 3, none for secular music. Again, nice, but big deal, Who really knows his gospel work except his fan base? So He Touched Me wins, Who was he really competing against. If Stevie had put one out, he may have lost!
It's certainly without question that there is a validation to Grammy success on the pop level, and the fact that Elvis was invisible remains the fault of his substandard movie year work and lackluster efforts in the 1970s. That said, the Beatles dominated the 1960s pop marketplace, yet Grammy victories mostly eluded them. So the Grammys are suspect on some level, too.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/celebrity/elvis_presley/awards.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_the_Beatles#Grammy_Awards
They are suspect. Elvis had some fine movie songs, several worthy of an award, That is why I don't get too excited about his gospel Grammies. It's nice, but nothing I think too much about when I think about what he accomplished in his career and what he meant to pop culture in general. Your statement about The Beatles is true and pop/rock music in general, It was music that was almost ignored for Grammies until really about 1970.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Stevie Woner ? I like him too.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Hard Rocker wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: It's certainly without question that there is a validation to Grammy success on the pop level, and the fact that Elvis was invisible remains the fault of his substandard movie year work and lackluster efforts in the 1970s. That said, the Beatles dominated the 1960s pop marketplace, yet Grammy victories mostly eluded them. So the Grammys are suspect on some level, too.
So when Elvis fails to get a Grammy it's his own fault, but when The Beatles fail to get a Grammy it's the Grammy's fault?!

Great, thanks for sorting that one out. :wink:

Read with care, that was one reason for your most recent forum suspension, misreading posts and flying off the handle.

There is a huge difference between secular and non-secular releases in the marketplace. See enlarged text.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Suspecting you were unable to take the original post with the intended humor, I decided to delete it rather than upset you. Evidently, that was a good call on my part. :wink:

Lohmax
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Lohmax »

In order of release date:

That's The Way It Is
Now
Raised On Rock
Good Times
Promised Land
Today

Image Image Image

Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Chucky99 »

Elvis Country by far