Favorite Elvis 70's studio albums...

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Re: Favorite Elvis 70's studio albums...

Post by fn2drive »

Lonely Summer wrote:6 quality albums for for the years 1970-77 i'd say is very good or excellent. How many other acts could match that? Certainly none of Elvis' 50's contemporaries.
I think you mean one studio album and 2 live recordings and one that was half and half.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

fn2drive wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:6 quality albums for for the years 1970-77 i'd say is very good or excellent. How many other acts could match that? Certainly none of Elvis' 50's contemporaries.
I think you mean one studio album and 2 live recordings and one that was half and half.
It has to be that low for some to save face with all the criticism of the 70's. That's the thing with being dishonest. It takes a lot of work to have all those loose ends covered.

Topic author
Mike in New Jersey
Registered for: 20 years 10 months
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

Post by Mike in New Jersey »

Regarding the number of quality studio albums that could have been culled from the entirety of his 70s studio sessions... that's why I think the 70s box works so well. Other than some mediocre singles that had to be included due to the format of the box, it does remove his studio output from the context of the too often poorly constructed original albums and generally present the cream of his 70s studio output.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Elvis Country, TTWII + 4 = 6.

No problem, 6 at least. Then there's the live stuff. Plenty of quality Presley in the 70's.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by brian »

Band on the Run 1973

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

Lonely Summer wrote:
King Volcano wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:6 quality albums for for the years 1970-77 i'd say is very good or excellent. How many other acts could match that?

For starters, but there's many more..

Lou Reed
Shirley Bassey
Paul McCartney
Carpenters

I agree though that Presley was prolific compared to many, and people seem to sometimes forget that, whatever their opinion of the 70s albums is.
I don't know the catalogs of Lou Reed and Shirley Bassey, the Carpenters had a couple of strong albums - the self titled 1971 release and A Song For You, but IMO were primarly a singles act. McCartney had a charming solo debut in 1970 and an album with some wonderful moments along with some shite - Ram - in 1971. He didn't do another solo album until 1980, McCartney 2, which is one of the weakest things he ever did. Didn't really rebound as a solo artist until Tug of War in 1982.
You (rightly IMO) didn't mention anything about being solo, which isn't really relevant or irrelevant, in the context of this, music is music, albums are albums, and there was tons of stuff 1970-77 that was liked, or has become liked, by various acts' fans :)

As for McCartney, the debate about Wings isn't solo ended years ago. The Wings albums have even been officially credited to Paul McCartney for 22 years now ever since the 1993 Paul McCartney Collection reissues did so on their outer packaging. Of course there's occasional songs with reduced Macca input, but they're Macca albums. Same as Bowie's notorious 1989 Tin Machine "band" / album has been credited on its artwork as a David Bowie album since its 1999 reissue, and Bowie himself made fun of his old lie that it was a democratic band during a 2003 TV appearance.

As for Ram, it's widely regarded by fans, as far as I can tell, as one of the best things Paul's ever done, Beatles included. Wings Wild Life, the debut and others, are a bit more controversial (tho I love them both!), but Ram is regarded as a 70s classic.

Sorry to go off topic, but your words made me think about a few things !

It's difficult to compare Elvis to anyone really anyway, as his situation in the music world in the 1970s was pretty unique I think it's fair to say? , both when things were going well and not so well.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Which album would I choose from 1973 ???

"Raised on Rock" or "Dark Side of the Moon" ?

"RAISED ON ROCK" dammit !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by c. Richer »

1 Elvis Country.
2 He Touched Me.
3 Good Times.
4 Love Letters From Elvis.
5 Promised Land.
6 Elvis. ( Fool )
7 From Elvis Presley Boulevard.
8 Moody Blue.
9 That's The Way It Is.
10 Raised On Rock.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-eye Member banned for life.fa-eye
fa-exclamation-triangle

Fabbe
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Fabbe »

Promised land

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

I was going to start a new thread on this, but might as well here.

Does anyone remember the 1978 release of "From Elvis with Love" ?

It was a double album and obviously had all the tracks with the songs Love in it, real inventive. Anyway while checking for the LP, I found my cassette version, played it and I could swear, there were some tracks on this release that had either been remixed or tampered with in some fashion, and I was actually surprised at how good it sounded

The version of "I Can't stop Loving You" was from the afternoon, MSG concert and the "Next Step Is Love" sounded phenomenal, like the drums are centered and prominent, just sounded completely different than the album version from 1970.

Any thoughts and/or opinions on this one ?

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

rockinrebel
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by rockinrebel »

Elvis Country
TTWII
Standing Room Only
He Touched Me
Promised Land
Today
Moody Blue

There really should have been a 1971 studio collection too, so I will give an honourable mention to Exodus.

Buddy
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by Buddy »

1.Thats The Way It Is
2.Today
3 From Elvis Presley Boulevard
4.Moody Blue
5.Elvis Country
6.Almost In Love
7.Promised Land
8.Love Letters
9. Wonderful World Of Christmas
10.Welcome To My World

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Welcome to My World was not a studio LP, but a compilation one.

Buddy
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by Buddy »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:26 pm
Mmmhhh the topic does not say "classic" studio LP releases.
To me LPs like TTWII, Almost In Love or even Welcome To My World belong to his (non-live) studio album releases of the 70s.

rockinrebel
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by rockinrebel »

:smt006
jurasic1968 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:26 pm
Depending on how and when you discovered Elvis, it could well have been seen as a 'new' album for many fans, and the studio / live mix was no different from some of the other albums already mentioned in this thread.

For me personally it's also a more enjoyable listen than some of the more hapazhardly compiled '70's collections such as Now & Fool, which include some nice performances, but don't really have the coherence required for a decent album project.

Deleted User 13750

Post by Deleted User 13750 »

As much as I love the usual 'suspects' of "On Stage", "That's The Way It Is" and "Elvis Country", I really do have sensitive soft-spots for "Good Times", "Today" and especially "From Elvis Boulevard.." :)