Elvis 30#1/2 To None Still Relevant?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Re: Elvis 30#1/2 To None Still Relevant?

Post by jetblack »

The 45 track 'Presley - The All Time Greatest Hits' is still my go to release for the hits.

The vinyl was something else.

Walking thru the doors of HMV in 1987 and seeing this displayed at shop front was something indeed.

It reached Number #4 on the UK album chart.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

jetblack wrote:The 45 track 'Presley - The All Time Greatest Hits' is still my go to release for the hits.

Walking thru the doors of HMV in 1987 and seeing this displayed at shop front was something indeed.

Andy
The LP promo artwork still looks good today.
atgh_promo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Mike C wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:This is the mix that follows the mono master the closest, IMO. It seems like another vintage stereo mix from 1969.http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/B3dRzatO/file.html
Juan, from which source did you take this mix?
Gold V. I did increase amplitude and repaired a low-end bump at the fadeout. No EQ though.

trouble_jw
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by trouble_jw »

jetblack wrote:The 45 track 'Presley - The All Time Greatest Hits' is still my go to release for the hits.

Andy
This was my first ever cd in the early 90s, aged 8. I played it to death and still think it is the strongest line up of hits. It also contains some great mixes of songs from various sources. Love it.

"If you're looking for trouble_jw......you came to the right place"

SunKing77
** BANNED: FREQUENTLY RETURNING PERMA-BANNED MEMBER. PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "DARYL" **
** BANNED: FREQUENTLY RETURNING PERMA-BANNED MEMBER. PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "DARYL" **
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by SunKing77 »

The one that did it for me was "The Top Ten Hits" from 1987. However, the audio has improved miles since that release.

I do feel that ELV1S 30 #1 Hits (E1) is still relevant, in the sense that it did gather 30 of Elvis' number one hits with the new at the time JXL remix of "A Little Less Conversation." Were some of those number ones deserving? (I'm looking specifically at you, "Wooden Heart"). Probably not. But we cannot change the past. They shouldn't have used the alternate takes of "(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I" and "A Big Hunk O' Love" and the alternate performance of "The Wonder Of You." There shouldn't have been flanging on "Suspicious Minds." And the rill between "In The Ghetto" and "Suspicious Minds" should have been corrected.

But despite these flaws, the marketing of E1 was phenomenal. I remember seeing the television ad on constant rotation for this album. I remember going into Wal-Mart and seeing the display they had for this album and then finding out the following week that the album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200. I remember reading within a month or two after the release of E1 that it had already sold several million copies just in the U.S.

"Second To None" was good in some respects. I don't necessarily think it was wise to include the "I'm A Roustabout" unreleased recording on a compilation of hit recordings. I also don't think the "Rubberneckin'" remix by Paul Oakenfold was quite as good as the JXL remix of "ALLC." I realize that with "Second To None" they chose to include the 6 number ones that couldn't be included on E1. Amongst these was "Rock-A-Hula Baby." When you combine the tracklistings of E1 and E2, I don't think "Rock-A-Hula-Baby" would register anywhere close to the top 60 recordings of Elvis' career. I also didn't care much for the inclusion of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" on E2, which was a number one country & western hit for Elvis. I think they would have been better served including the more popular "Mystery Train."

The problem I've found with some of the other sets mentioned in this thread such as "Artist Of The Century," "The Essential Elvis Presley" and "Good Rockin' Tonight" is that there often were hit songs excluded that you would think definitely would have been included. For example, "Artist Of The Century" omitted "Kentucky Rain" and "Good Rockin' Tonight" omitted "The Wonder Of You" and "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me." By the same token, in each of the three examples I mentioned, there were recordings that I didn't think belonged on a set, yet were included for inexplicable reasons. One of the ones that comes to mind with "Artist Of The Century" is "Run On." Probably the safer and more popular pick would have been "How Great Thou Art." It's not that I don't like "Run On." I actually like it a lot, but the fact remains that "How Great Thou Art" was the title track of a Grammy winning album for Elvis and it was a staple of his live repertoire from 1970 up until 1977.

As for "The Essential Elvis Presley," the ones that stick out for me are "Fever" (again I love Elvis' recording) and the original recording of "A Little Less Conversation." Why didn't they include the remix instead of "ALLC?" That would have made more sense.

Lastly, the "Good Rockin' Tonight" set included recordings such as "This Is My Heaven," "Adam And Evil" and even "The Fool". I like them all but again, you question whether they were worthy of inclusion.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I was pleasantly surprised that take 16 (the original master used on the 1968 single and the movie) of ALLC was used on The Essential Elvis Presley. It is not an easy one to find. As far as I know the only CDs that contain that version is The Complete Masters, the FTD and Double Features. All others I know of use take 10, the album version first released on Almost In Love album. I have never liked the "remix" hit version.

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Eggrert »

SunKing77 wrote:The one that did it for me was "The Top Ten Hits" from 1987. However, the audio has improved miles since that release.
There are still some goodies on TTTH that make it worthwhile, even today. The mix of Little Sister, in particular, is superb, and beats the pants off of every other version that I've heard.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

+1 for Little Sister on Top 10 Hits, it's on fire.

Topic author
dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by dennyelvis »

SunKing77 wrote:The one that did it for me was "The Top Ten Hits" from 1987. However, the audio has improved miles since that release.

I do feel that ELV1S 30 #1 Hits (E1) is still relevant, in the sense that it did gather 30 of Elvis' number one hits with the new at the time JXL remix of "A Little Less Conversation." Were some of those number ones deserving? (I'm looking specifically at you, "Wooden Heart"). Probably not. But we cannot change the past. They shouldn't have used the alternate takes of "(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I" and "A Big Hunk O' Love" and the alternate performance of "The Wonder Of You." There shouldn't have been flanging on "Suspicious Minds." And the rill between "In The Ghetto" and "Suspicious Minds" should have been corrected.

But despite these flaws, the marketing of E1 was phenomenal. I remember seeing the television ad on constant rotation for this album. I remember going into Wal-Mart and seeing the display they had for this album and then finding out the following week that the album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200. I remember reading within a month or two after the release of E1 that it had already sold several million copies just in the U.S.

"Second To None" was good in some respects. I don't necessarily think it was wise to include the "I'm A Roustabout" unreleased recording on a compilation of hit recordings. I also don't think the "Rubberneckin'" remix by Paul Oakenfold was quite as good as the JXL remix of "ALLC." I realize that with "Second To None" they chose to include the 6 number ones that couldn't be included on E1. Amongst these was "Rock-A-Hula Baby." When you combine the tracklistings of E1 and E2, I don't think "Rock-A-Hula-Baby" would register anywhere close to the top 60 recordings of Elvis' career. I also didn't care much for the inclusion of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" on E2, which was a number one country & western hit for Elvis. I think they would have been better served including the more popular "Mystery Train."

The problem I've found with some of the other sets mentioned in this thread such as "Artist Of The Century," "The Essential Elvis Presley" and "Good Rockin' Tonight" is that there often were hit songs excluded that you would think definitely would have been included. For example, "Artist Of The Century" omitted "Kentucky Rain" and "Good Rockin' Tonight" omitted "The Wonder Of You" and "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me." By the same token, in each of the three examples I mentioned, there were recordings that I didn't think belonged on a set, yet were included for inexplicable reasons. One of the ones that comes to mind with "Artist Of The Century" is "Run On." Probably the safer and more popular pick would have been "How Great Thou Art." It's not that I don't like "Run On." I actually like it a lot, but the fact remains that "How Great Thou Art" was the title track of a Grammy winning album for Elvis and it was a staple of his live repertoire from 1970 up until 1977.

As for "The Essential Elvis Presley," the ones that stick out for me are "Fever" (again I love Elvis' recording) and the original recording of "A Little Less Conversation." Why didn't they include the remix instead of "ALLC?" That would have made more sense.

Lastly, the "Good Rockin' Tonight" set included recordings such as "This Is My Heaven," "Adam And Evil" and even "The Fool". I like them all but again, you question whether they were worthy of inclusion.
Some gr8 points there the reason so many comps fail to impress is that they try to encompass his huge range of genres on a single disc, if u play nearly all other artists compilations even Sinatra they all flow nicely because each track is similar. Elvis compilations need more thought in them so they actually flow and not jump around from different styles, years, and even sound quality!

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

JEFF d
Registered for: 21 years

Post by JEFF d »

JamieAKelley wrote:E1 is certainly still relevant - though the best mix is on the DVD version, since it doesn't have the brickwall compression added to it.

E1 and E2 are still, at the very least, interesting footnotes for the alternate mixes presented, even if a number of them have been bettered (imo) by later releases.
I absolutely love the 5.1 DVD audio of E1, every song sounds amazing to me and like you mentioned is not brickwalled. I also enjoy listening to it since the cd starts w. JXL ALLC remix & Way Down... and goes in reverse order of the #1s

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

trouble_jw

Post by trouble_jw »

Was the Suspicious Minds master replaced with an older master or remixed again for the US Hitstory? Anyone know?

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

trouble_jw wrote:Was the Suspicious Minds master replaced with an older master or remixed again for the US Hitstory? Anyone know?
It's definitely not the version on the"E1" hits CD !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

So the reissued E1 is a mix of original mixes and the new Bendeth remixes ?

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

norrie
Registered for: 20 years

Post by norrie »

Andy

I'm with you on that one.This was the album that got me back to Elvis after my heavy metal days and began the Elvis collecting bug as I loved it so much I had to get more.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

TINML wrote:So the reissued E1 is a mix of original mixes and the new Bendeth remixes ?
As far as I know, my reissued CD of that particular album has all the corrected versions of the pop, flanging, delay and alt. takes of the hits, except "Big Hunk".

"Burning Love" and "Way Down" are the Bendeth mixes.

Are the still relevant ? of course they are, it's still Elvis, but I hardly ever play them.

"The Essential" is gr8 and more accessible.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

minkahed wrote:
TINML wrote:So the reissued E1 is a mix of original mixes and the new Bendeth remixes ?
As far as I know, my reissued CD of that particular album has all the corrected versions of the pop, flanging, delay and alt. takes of the hits, except "Big Hunk".

"Burning Love" and "Way Down" are the Bendeth mixes.
Does your reissued/corrected CD feature the unrepaired backing vocals on "The Wonder of You", as it does on my disc?

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

My US version of HitStory has the correct master (spliced) version of A Big Hunk Of Love, and the correct performance of The Wonder Of You, but without the dubbed Nashville vocals and dubbed audience reaction. I still cannot hear the flanging on Suspicious Minds. Am I to expect a "phasing effect" between the channels? The way I understand flanging is when two recordings of the same signal is mixed together but they go in and out of phase with each other causing a sound much like jet engine. Sometimes it is used as a purposeful effect, such as the climax of Tank on ELP's first album. It was quite common in the 60's psychedelic period.

trouble_jw

Post by trouble_jw »

minkahed wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:Was the Suspicious Minds master replaced with an older master or remixed again for the US Hitstory? Anyone know?
It's definitely not the version on the"E1" hits CD !!!
Ok, upon listening to the Hitstory version of Suspicious Minds, sounds like an older remaster of the original mix but with the volume of the song turned up.

The wonder of you is the undubbed master but in a different mix......not sure of the original source of this? On stage reissue from the late 90s maybe?

David Bendeth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by David Bendeth »

I like the 5.1 the best, no additives, just simple.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

David Bendeth wrote:I like the 5.1 the best, no additives, just simple.
I'd second this Mr Bendeth, welcome back!

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

trouble_jw

Post by trouble_jw »

Both Compilations are still my favourite hits CDs. Go back to them regularly.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

TINML wrote:
David Bendeth wrote:I like the 5.1 the best, no additives, just simple.
I'd second this Mr Bendeth, welcome back!
Maybe, now that he's here, he can explain what on earth led him to sign off on perhaps the worst sounding Heartbreak Hotel ever?

trouble_jw

Post by trouble_jw »

What don't you like about it Pirate?

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

David Bendeth had hardly anything to do with the mono stuff which was mastering he did not do. His expertise was in the mixing IIRC. That "Burning Love" mix has not been topped, in my opinion.

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by GERRY »

Is David Bendeth here again? If so great.

I always wondered if there were strict directives in place to protect Elvis' vocal on the DVD Elvis 30 Number Ones. I have noticed unlike the Beatles who have isolated channels, isolated vocals that you can extract and have more control. With Elvis the vocal has been overlayed to protect it's extraction. Same for the TTWII Blu ray. So it must be protocol in place to prevent fans having the isolated vocal to create new mixes, etc
Even on the fully idolated vocal extras SM ITG they are just short samples.

So there is no way we will ever get access to the vocals, I just wanted to ve able to adjust levels like I can with the Beatles?