Elvis 30#1/2 To None Still Relevant?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

King Volcano

Re: Elvis 30#1/2 To None Still Relevant?

Post by King Volcano »

skatterbrane wrote:
Oh and headphones is no way to totally appreciate stereo. Two speakers properly placed and a dedicated "sweet spot" listening positon is where stereo shines, and so few people ever experience this. Most couldn't care less.
Well, I know what you mean but many people from the last couple of generations, even if a few of them potentially do care, don't get much of a chance to experience it, with property and rental prices soaring and a housing crisis in most of the UK and other places in recent years, many of them are stuck living with parents or in tight shared housing, so headphones are the only option most of the time.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

King Volcano wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
Oh and headphones is no way to totally appreciate stereo. Two speakers properly placed and a dedicated "sweet spot" listening positon is where stereo shines, and so few people ever experience this. Most couldn't care less.
Well, I know what you mean but many people from the last couple of generations, even if a few of them potentially do care, don't get much of a chance to experience it, with property and rental prices soaring and a housing crisis in most of the UK and other places in recent years, many of them are stuck living with parents or in tight shared housing, so headphones are the only option most of the time.
Yeah the world is changing, in many ways not for the better. Here in the US we have large warehouse style shopping. One of which is called Costco (originally Price Club). This is where people buy food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, etc in bulk. You can even buy furniture, insurance, vacations and so on. So, I read an article where their business model may become outdated in the next few years. Theirs is built on home ownership and people DRIVING their own cars. The millennials are more into living in an apartment in the city where they can walk or take a bus. They would not shop at a Costco and bring home a two month's supply of toilet paper and laundry detergent, let alone a freezer full of steaks! Man I LOVE Costco! Learning to drive and having my own car was my main motivation for getting a job. Now they are happy with smart phones and video games.

The first world middle class is being intentionally and systematically gutted, we are in the way of the elite's agenda. Thus this concentration of economic and political power marches on unchecked.

Before the 70s, there was need for only one wage earner in a family. Then it took two, now it takes two and the children cannot even afford to leave, so they ALL have to work to maintain a household. I guess there will come a day when multiple families or at least multiple generations will have to work together to afford to live.

The first world middle class is intentionally and systematically being wiped out. The concentration of economic and political power marches on unchecked. Soon we will ALL be living in 3rd world conditions. But we will all still have smart phones and earbuds!

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

skatterbrane wrote:
King Volcano wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
Yeah the world is changing, in many ways not for the better. Here in the US we have large warehouse style shopping. One of which is called Costco (originally Price Club). This is where people buy food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, etc in bulk. You can even buy furniture, insurance, vacations and so on. So, I read an article where their business model may become outdated in the next few years. Theirs is built on home ownership and people DRIVING their own cars. The millennials are more into living in an apartment in the city where they can walk or take a bus. They would not shop at a Costco and bring home a two month's supply of toilet paper and laundry detergent, let alone a freezer full of steaks! Man I LOVE Costco! Learning to drive and having my own car was my main motivation for getting a job. Now they are happy with smart phones and video games.

The first world middle class is being intentionally and systematically gutted, we are in the way of the elite's agenda. Thus this concentration of economic and political power marches on unchecked.

Before the 70s, there was need for only one wage earner in a family. Then it took two, now it takes two and the children cannot even afford to leave, so they ALL have to work to maintain a household. I guess there will come a day when multiple families or at least multiple generations will have to work together to afford to live.

The first world middle class is intentionally and systematically being wiped out. The concentration of economic and political power marches on unchecked. Soon we will ALL be living in 3rd world conditions. But we will all still have smart phones and earbuds!
hmm. I wish I was much older, or much younger, rather than in middle age :) :(

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

On a lighter note: When it comes to stereo. The homes I have visited in my life, only a very, very few had their stereo set up in such a manner that would be able to produce proper stereo imaging and a stereo sound stage. And ALL of the people who DID have them setup properly were dedicated audiophiles.

Most of the time speakers were placed in such a manner as to be either two discrete channels (too far apart), or they were placed on just either side of a stereo rack (too close) as to be more like a mono player or wherever was convenient, where they would fit, or some other asymmetric manner.

It is a typical woman's nightmare to live with an audiophile as furniture arrangement becomes secondary to the audiophiles preferences. Speakers are best placed at least 18 inches from the back wall. This means they are typically right in the way of foot traffic. Or at least they make the useful space in a room much smaller.

So, I still contend 90% of people who have stereos still have not experienced speakers set up properly and "the sweet spot". Bulletin: you do not NEED a center speaker to get center field information. That is another thing, surround sound and home theatre has also contributed to the misunderstanding of stereo.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

skatterbrane wrote:On a lighter note: When it comes to stereo. The homes I have visited in my life, only a very, very few had their stereo set up in such a manner that would be able to produce proper stereo imaging and a stereo sound stage. And ALL of the people who DID have them setup properly were dedicated audiophiles.

Most of the time speakers were placed in such a manner as to be either two discrete channels (too far apart), or they were placed on just either side of a stereo rack (too close) as to be more like a mono player or wherever was convenient, where they would fit, or some other asymmetric manner.

It is a typical woman's nightmare to live with an audiophile as furniture arrangement becomes secondary to the audiophiles preferences. Speakers are best placed at least 18 inches from the back wall. This means they are typically right in the way of foot traffic. Or at least they make the useful space in a room much smaller.

So, I still contend 90% of people who have stereos still have not experienced speakers set up properly and "the sweet spot". Bulletin: you do not NEED a center speaker to get center field information. That is another thing, surround sound and home theatre has also contributed to the misunderstanding of stereo.
Indeed

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I guess if you really want to be strict and consistent Elvis had only 14 #1 Top/Hot 100 hits.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

skatterbrane wrote:I guess if you really want to be strict and consistent Elvis had only 14 #1 Top/Hot 100 hits.
I think its 8 or less than that now. They keep changing the rules every couple years.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth