Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Linda Thompson was shocked when LMP told her that Elvis died

Post by elvis4life »

http://www.contactmusic.net/linda-thompson/news/linda-thompson-i-was-shocked-when-lisa-marie-presley-told-me-elvis-was-dead_5352168

Linda Thompson: 'I Was Shocked When Lisa Marie Presley Told Me Elvis Was Dead'

By WENN in Music / Festivals on 11 August 2016

Elvis Presley's ex-girlfriend Linda Thompson couldn't believe The King was dead after receiving a frantic phone call from his daughter Lisa Marie.

The actress dated the music icon from 1972 to 1976, a year before a heart attack killed him in his Graceland home in Memphis, Tennessee at the age of 42.

Linda still recalls the moment she discovered her former lover was dead, when his nine-year-old daughter broke the sad news.

In excerpts from Linda's memoir, A Little Thing Called Life, published in U.S. magazine People, Thompson recalls Lisa Marie screaming, "Linda, my daddy's dead."

"(I was) frozen by a dread of acknowledging the truth," she writes.

Linda was reportedly the first person Lisa Marie called and she goes on to reveal that shortly before they split, she found him passed out from drugs in a bowl of soup.

"As I held his head up by his hair, he had chicken soup and noodles all over his face," she writes. "I started to clean his throat, literally pulling out chunks of food."

Despite their troubles, the 66-year-old looks back at her relationship with Elvis fondly.

"From our first moments together, our relationship was all-encompassing," she writes. "The first year of the four and half we would share, we were together 24 hours a day."

However, she does remember his jealous streak.

"(He was) needy." she continues, "Gosh, to be the greatest sex symbol in the world, and yet he's so insecure he can't stand to hear about anybody I ever dated."

But she insists that no matter what was going on his life, he doted on his daughter with Priscilla Presley.

"He absolutely adored his little girl," she adds. "I did too."

Linda went on to marry former athlete Bruce Jenner, who is now known as Caitlyn Jenner, in 1981. The couple had two sons before divorcing in 1986.

She was also married to composer and record producer David Foster from 1991 to 2005.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Re: Linda Thompson was shocked when LMP told her that Elvis

Post by elvisjock »

Not a new story to most of us, but it makes me sad to hear it repeated. As much as I respect Linda, and have been looking forward to the book, we can count on several weeks of the media doing what they do best - exploiting the most salacious material, out of context.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

Her book will be much more in favor of Elvis than David's agressive rage.
So I hope her books draws more media attention.

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

do we need to have Linda tell this story for the 100th time? lets have some new Elvis stories. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Not everyone watched Larry King.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisjock wrote:Not a new story to most of us, but it makes me sad to hear it repeated. As much as I respect Linda, and have been looking forward to the book, we can count on several weeks of the media doing what they do best - exploiting the most salacious material, out of context.
This will be perhaps even more so true of her marriage to the former Bruce Jenner. I assume the book will be as classy as the essay she published on the Huffington Post site in 2015, after all the publicity surrounding her former husband.

How Living With and Loving Bruce Jenner Changed My Life Forever
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-thompson/bruce-jenner-linda-thompson_b_7080918.html

As Henry James so wisely advised, the three most important things in life are:

1. Be kind.

2. Be kind.

3. Be kind.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

It may be the 100th time we've heard the stories, but with each telling I, at least, feel a fresh level of sadness for Elvis.

Some fans are objecting to Linda's account of Lisa calling her and telling her that her daddy "smothered in the carpet." This was in the immediate aftermath of the discovery of the body, and it makes sense to me that the people in the house would have used those words. If he could pass out in a bowl of chicken soup, he could just as easily fall on his face into shag carpeting.

My hope is that in telling these stories again, that Linda will be able to humanize him. This is what the end stage of prescription drug abuse looks like.

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

We all know this picture, but have you seen it before in this quality and size?
Linda en Elvis.jpg

Nice find in just another article about her book:

Linda Thompson recalls loving Elvis and seeing Bruce in a dress
http://pagesix.com/2016/08/10/linda-thompson-recalls-loving-elvis-and-seeing-bruce-in-a-dress/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by L Ray »

Remember the book is about Linda and her life. More to it than just Elvis. I haven't heard her stories and am looking forward to reading it, and not just the Elvis parts but the whole thing.

Topic author
elvis4life

Post by elvis4life »

She'll be on the following this week:

1.Tomorrow on ABC's Good Morning America at 7AM
2.Tomorrow night on ABC's Nightline at around 12:37AM [which makes it early Wednesday morning]
3.Thursday on "Access Hollywood Live" at 11AM on NBC & it's replayed the early morning [Friday] at 1:30AM & 6:00 AM on the Reelz channel

Now that's out of the way, here's another article from yesterday's NY Post

http://nypost.com/2016/08/21/beauty-queen-thompson-saw-presleys-dark-side-jenner-in-drag-and-a-life-in-the-limelight/

How I went from loving Elvis Presley to Bruce Jenner

By Doree Lewak

August 21, 2016 | 3:25am

Linda Thompson and her high-profile, whirlwind romances with Elvis Presley and Bruce Jenner.
Photo: Left: Splash News; Right: AP

Linda Thompson insists she’s just a simple country girl. “I’m the kind of person who lives under the radar,” the Memphis native tells The Post from her adopted home of Malibu, Calif., where she makes jam and keeps chickens.

But the 66-year-old — born to a “poor” family and raised a good Southern Baptist — has often been in the limelight: As a Miss USA contender, “Hee Haw” actress and significant other to some of the most high-profile men of the 1970s.

Thompson details her romances — with Elvis Presley, Bruce Jenner and songwriter David Foster — in her memoir, “A Little Thing Called Life,” out Tuesday.

Linda Thompson in 2014
Photo: WireImage

She was a 22-year-old beauty queen when she met Presley — whom she’d fantasized about marrying — at a movie screening in 1972.

“I thought maybe I’d get an autograph — I had no idea I’d have 4 ¹/₂ years of loving him,” Thompson says.

The pair made out during the double feature, and the King, then 37, invited her to Graceland the next day. She moved in shortly after. At the time, Thompson was 12 credits shy of graduating from Memphis State University, but “I thought it was more important to run off with a rock star than to finish school,” she admits.

The couple was inseparable, she recalls, even in the bathroom: “I’d talk to him through the shower. I wasn’t out of his sight for a year.”

Her new life proved dazzling and odd — flying on private jets, waited on by a staff, and watching TV all night, given Presley’s nocturnal schedule.

In fact, Thompson remembers that she and the singer were in bed when they saw Bruce Jenner take gold in the 1976 Olympics. When Presley admired the athlete’s good looks, Thompson jokingly blurted out, “I’m going to marry that guy someday!”

Soon, Presley’s cheating and prescription-drug addiction took their toll. “After I had the stardust cleared from my eyes, I saw all the problems,” Thompson says, including a “dark side, [a] vicious temper, mood swings.” She left him eight months before he died in August 1977; his 9-year-old daughter, Lisa Marie, called her to deliver the news.

Heartbreak turned to romance when she met, of all people, Jenner, at the Playboy Mansion in 1979.

“He was the most easygoing, down-to-earth, healthy man,” she says. “It was the antithesis of my lifestyle with Elvis.”

The pair married in 1981, five months before their son Brandon was born. (Another son, Brody, followed two years later.) But in 1985, Jenner shocked his wife with a confession: “I identify as a woman.”

“My first inclination was, ‘Maybe we can fix this,’ ” she says.

The couple tried therapy, but the final straw was a trip to New York. When Thompson arrived at the hotel, hopeful for a reconciliation, she was greeted by her husband in a “full wig, full makeup, heels. A nice feminine dress adorning his muscular body.” They divorced in 1986.

It would be 30 years before her ex came out to the world as Caitlyn Jenner.

In 1991, Thompson married songwriter Foster, with whom she penned the Whitney Houston hit “I Have Nothing.” They divorced in 2005.

Thompson wishes her exes well and says of Jenner, “She’s a part of my heart, she’s the father of my sons.”

LSP-4445
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

Linda en Elvis.jpg

http://pagesix.com/2016/08/10/linda-thompson-recalls-loving-elvis-and-seeing-bruce-in-a-dress/

I saw a Bruce Jenner documentary a while back and it had this picture in it.
I was watching it on a big 55" tv and couldnt believe how sharp the picture was.
Maybe your picture was taken from the documentary.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Paparazzi were all over Elvis in Summer 1975. We see him with Linda, Mindi Miller and Diana Goodman. Tough way to make a livin', boy. I'll tell you.

Topic author
elvis4life

Post by elvis4life »

Just saw that tomorrow, Linda will be on Entertainment Tonight [E/T], check your local listings for times & stations.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by promiseland »

LSP-4445 wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:.

Linda en Elvis.jpg

I saw a Bruce Jenner documentary a while back and it had this picture in it.
I was watching it on a big 55" tv and couldnt believe how sharp the picture was.
Maybe your picture was taken from the documentary.
? :smt017

Topic author
elvis4life

Post by elvis4life »

I didn't get a chance to view the whole GMA interview yet but I will later. In the meantime & as I purposely skimmed to the end of it, I noticed a change regarding the upcoming Nightline interview. At the end of it, GMA co-host George Stephanopoulos said that you can catch the rest of the interview "Thursday on Nightline".

Now since the show is at the early morning hour of 12:35AM EST, as odd as this question sounds but is he implying that it's the "Thursday night/Friday morning" edition or was he implying that it's the "Wednesday night/Thursday morning" edition? Regardless, I'm setting the DVR for both nights just in case.

DEH

Post by DEH »

she says that when Elvis saw Bruce Jenner Elvis said "I am not gay......but that is a one good looking guy" or something like that. I don't believe Elvis said that for a minute.... :facep: :facep: :facep: someone is making things up. :roll: :roll: :roll:

brian

Post by brian »

elvis4life wrote:Now since the show is at the early morning hour of 12:35AM EST, as odd as this question sounds but is he implying that it's the "Thursday night/Friday morning" edition or was he implying that it's the "Wednesday night/Thursday morning" edition? Regardless, I'm setting the DVR for both nights just in case.
Doesn't your cable provider have info for your channels?

You click info on your remote and it will give you a synopsis of what the shows you are watching are about.

In the case of talk shows it will tell you who the guests are for that particular episode.

brian

Post by brian »

So far I am disappointed I was hoping Linda would talk about some different things but she's telling the same stories she told 15 years ago on Larry King.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

I am a third of the way through the book, and there are a number of memories and anecdotes that are new to me.

brian

Post by brian »

elvisjock wrote:I am a third of the way through the book, and there are a number of memories and anecdotes that are new to me.
that's good.

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:I am a third of the way through the book, and there are a number of memories and anecdotes that are new to me.
Enough about Jenner and Foster. Anything new about Presley?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

I don't want to be a spoiler. I'm now 36% through (on my Kindle) and she is only up to the beginning of 1975. There's lots of Elvis still to come.

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:I don't want to be a spoiler. I'm now 36% through (on my Kindle) and she is only up to the beginning of 1975. There's lots of Elvis still to come.
:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

jungleroombear wrote:Dont wish to be a party pooper but i would prefer it if Linda Thompson didn't go into any morbid detail about chicken soup etc and believe she shouldn't have ever spoke about what Lisa said on the phone when her father died. Elvis would have felt betrayed as he was so concerned about privacy and not drawing attention to his daughter. Most people would do what Linda has done though because as much as it is about making money, it's about off loading instead of always carrying the burden of upsetting memories. At least that's what the fella with the Struma Class 111 Goitre up our street said, eventually. But, I suppose at the end of the day, Linda would only have had to tell just one person and it would have been out there anyway. To publicly endorse the tittle-tattle is unfortunate when the pages could have been used for photos or other articles of interest. For pitys sake there's enough misery in this World. Happy days!
Elvis Presley was a major historical figure and a hugely successful musician, actor and artist. You should take five minutes and read the Huffington Post article by Linda Thompson that l note above. It might enlighten you to her skillful, honest and compassionate writing style, and help you to understand that recounting history isn't always about pretty pictures and lollipops.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Dont wish to be a party pooper but i would prefer it if Linda Thompson didn't go into any morbid detail about chicken soup etc and believe she shouldn't have ever spoke about what Lisa said on the phone when her father died. Elvis would have felt betrayed as he was so concerned about privacy and not drawing attention to his daughter. Most people would do what Linda has done though because as much as it is about making money, it's about off loading instead of always carrying the burden of upsetting memories. At least that's what the fella with the Struma Class 111 Goitre up our street said, eventually. But, I suppose at the end of the day, Linda would only have had to tell just one person and it would have been out there anyway. To publicly endorse the tittle-tattle is unfortunate when the pages could have been used for photos or other articles of interest. For pitys sake there's enough misery in this World. Happy days!
Elvis Presley was a major historical figure and a hugely successful musician, actor and artist. You should take five minutes and read the Huffington Post article by Linda Thompson that l note above. It might enlighten you to her skillful, honest and compassionate writing style, and help you to understand that recounting history isn't always about pretty pictures and lollipops.
Very well put. sadly we increasingly live in a world where when the truth doesn't fit one's pov, throw out the truth. i for one want to learn every bit i can to match it against the musical record.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward