Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Stvimpe

Re: The Hometown Shows - FTD

Post by Stvimpe »

ORION wrote:Stvimpe wrote:

ORION wrote:
Very nice two CD set of Elvis in his backyard (OK, not an expression for thos literal folks on here). This shows that Elvis was in fine form for both of these stops in his hometown. The sound quality on both is excellent. Thanks FTD for assembling both of these in one set. If you're on the fence, you can't go wrong with this purchase.

In your backyard?

While you're at it, clean it up.

And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind..... :smt003
:smt005 Brilliant reply!

xmascarrol
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by xmascarrol »

got my copy yesterday as i wasnt going to buy it cause i don't need 2nd cd but i'm glad to get this for the 17th. Awesome sound and alot better than the cdr that has been floating around for years. Elvis sounds like he is enjoying himself at Home. FTD i have complained about your releases and i know its not your job to make me happy, but i can hold my hand up and say thank you. It's good to see you have also come away from the old RCA print on the cds. Its better with a picture of our Man on the cd IMO. Just wished Elvis slowed down omg he went thru these concerts soo quick lol.

he maybe gone but never forgotten.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Ken Jensen wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Overall entertainment is very important. A well executed show with no rapport with audience is a bit boring. And that is and was an important part of any show or concert. New years 1976 is much more exciting than Aloha, even if he sang better in 1973. I would have rather been at that 1976 show in this case.
Both these Memphis shows, and especially the 1975 one, have great rapport with the audience. They are very entertaining. It's fantastic when Elvis talks about the Today album and the TTWII concert movie.

Juan Luis, I agree with what you write here. I, too, would much rather have been present for New Year's Eve 1976 than Aloha. I would take most shows over Aloha, because I have it on DVD. I love watching it, though.
So do I. The most perfect example of the singing (not taking a backseat) being one aspect of good entertainment. The jumpsuits, the looks, the lights, the charisma, stances, the clichéd "electricity" in the air, the posturing he made to great effect etc... None of that comes through on the audio document that is a soundboard, or audience recording. And the few times it does (cause it makes it easy on the imagination by listening)....WOW, is all I can state! Atlanta 1976 is also great entertainment, in my opinion.

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Juan Luis wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Overall entertainment is very important. A well executed show with no rapport with audience is a bit boring. And that is and was an important part of any show or concert. New years 1976 is much more exciting than Aloha, even if he sang better in 1973. I would have rather been at that 1976 show in this case.
Both these Memphis shows, and especially the 1975 one, have great rapport with the audience. They are very entertaining. It's fantastic when Elvis talks about the Today album and the TTWII concert movie.

Juan Luis, I agree with what you write here. I, too, would much rather have been present for New Year's Eve 1976 than Aloha. I would take most shows over Aloha, because I have it on DVD. I love watching it, though.
So do I. The most perfect example of the singing (not taking a backseat) being one aspect of good entertainment. The jumpsuits, the looks, the lights, the charisma, stances, the clichéd "electricity" in the air, the posturing he made to great effect etc... None of that comes through on the audio document that is a soundboard, or audience recording. And the few times it does (cause it makes it easy on the imagination by listening)....WOW, is all I can state! Atlanta 1976 is also great entertainment, in my opinion.
We are on the same page here. By the way, Atlanta is probably the best show from that tour. Too bad the sound is crap.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ForeverElvis »

rlj4ep wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:Anyone know what happened to the ShopElvis link to "Hometown Shows"?
The "Praise" book is gone too.

i had pre-ordered the Praise book and it is waiting to ship, but I had to save up to get "Speedway" and "Hometown Shows" and now the link is gone????
ForeverElvis, I did not see the two items on the ShopElvis.com site, however, both are available at ShopGraceland.com Hope this helps.

rlj

weird stuff going on.
ShopElvis charged my card for "Praise" book and old link for "Hometown" says coming soon.
I won't get from shopGraceland they want $45.00 or $77.00 to ship to Canada, Shop Elvis will ship Speedway to me for $8.86. i don't think shopGraceland likes Canadians!
Wow, I was unaware of the huge shipping costs. So sorry about that. My experience with them is that they will not charge the card until they are ready to ship your order. So hopefully the book is on its way to you. I did see earlier this month that ShopElvis said they would be shipping the Hometown CD near the end of September. Hopefully you will have both of these items soon.

rlj
I ordered Speedway and Hometown from Elvis Shop London today.
with shipping in Canadian dollars it will be about $5 more than i used to pay Claude Baker.

The praise book is to ship after September 30 from Shop Elvis. They always have charged my card prior to shipping.

There is a Shop Graceland and a Shop Elvis - is Shop Elvis going to go out of business? or are they going to remain in competition with each other? Aren't they both really the same company, EPE?

Always Elvis
Anthony

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

ForeverElvis wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:Anyone know what happened to the ShopElvis link to "Hometown Shows"?
The "Praise" book is gone too.

i had pre-ordered the Praise book and it is waiting to ship, but I had to save up to get "Speedway" and "Hometown Shows" and now the link is gone????
ForeverElvis, I did not see the two items on the ShopElvis.com site, however, both are available at ShopGraceland.com Hope this helps.

rlj

weird stuff going on.
ShopElvis charged my card for "Praise" book and old link for "Hometown" says coming soon.
I won't get from shopGraceland they want $45.00 or $77.00 to ship to Canada, Shop Elvis will ship Speedway to me for $8.86. i don't think shopGraceland likes Canadians!
Wow, I was unaware of the huge shipping costs. So sorry about that. My experience with them is that they will not charge the card until they are ready to ship your order. So hopefully the book is on its way to you. I did see earlier this month that ShopElvis said they would be shipping the Hometown CD near the end of September. Hopefully you will have both of these items soon.

rlj
I ordered Speedway and Hometown from Elvis Shop London today.
with shipping in Canadian dollars it will be about $5 more than i used to pay Claude Baker.

The praise book is to ship after September 30 from Shop Elvis. They always have charged my card prior to shipping.

There is a Shop Graceland and a Shop Elvis - is Shop Elvis going to go out of business? or are they going to remain in competition with each other? Aren't they both really the same company, EPE?
Perhaps someone on this board will know more specifics than I with regard to your question. Shop Elvis is out of Virginia, while Shop Graceland is out of Graceland in Memphis. I have always been pleased with both. My experience with Shop Graceland is that when I preorder they haven't charged my card until the order if filled.
I am glad that you've been able to get things cleared up.

rlj

SunKing77
** BANNED: FREQUENTLY RETURNING PERMA-BANNED MEMBER. PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "DARYL" **
** BANNED: FREQUENTLY RETURNING PERMA-BANNED MEMBER. PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "DARYL" **
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by SunKing77 »

I really like the March 17, 1974 show. A few things that caught my ears. First, Elvis introduces George Klein during the band intros. But to me, one of the funniest bits is when he performs "Funny How Time Slips Away" and after the line "never know when I'll be back in town," he ad-libs something to the effect, "Wednesday night," a sly reference to the fact Elvis would be appearing again at the Mid-South Coliseum in three days.

I believe I may have asked this question before regarding "Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 Theme)" from the June 10, 1975 show. Is the version found on the FTD of "Hometown Shows" the same version found on a few other releases, such as:

Elvis Aron Presley (The Silver Box)
Another Saturday Night - Shreveport, 1975 (FTD)
Today (Sony Legacy)

Are these four versions all the same? For some reason, I once checked the first three releases and they didn't seem to be the same performance, due to running time and performance in general.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks rlj4ep for the information on Elvis Shop London. Since the passing of Claude Baker I too have been wondering who to order from. Before I make an order, does anyone have any information on whether someone will be taking over for Claude?
Thank you in advance
Bill

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

SunKing77: Elvis Aron Presley and Today contain the same show, and the first two tracks are taken from May 6, 1975 (Dixieland Rocks). The first three tracks on Another Saturday Night come from Memphis, June 10. That answers the question about the Memphis gig.

SunKing77
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by SunKing77 »

Ken Jensen wrote:SunKing77: Elvis Aron Presley and Today contain the same show, and the first two tracks are taken from May 6, 1975 (Dixieland Rocks). The first three tracks on Another Saturday Night come from Memphis, June 10. That answers the question about the Memphis gig.
I knew that the show released last year on the Legacy Edition of "Today" was the same as the show found on the "Elvis Aron Presley (Silver Box Set)." But what I was unsure about is whether the version of "Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 Theme)" found on those two discs was the same version as found on the "Another Saturday Night" FTD and the recent FTD "Hometown Shows."

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, Ken Jensen, let me try to recap. The EAP silver box set version, the Legacy edition of Today version and the version from "Dixieland Rocks" FTD of "Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 Theme)" are all the same and that version is from May 6, 1975. The version from "Another Saturday Night" and "Hometown Shows" are both the same and that version is from June 10, 1975 in Memphis. I believe Keith's website has this small detail incorrect, if I'm understanding you correctly. He has the version from Memphis (June 10) as being on the EAP silver box and Legacy edition of "Today."

http://www.keithflynn.com/essential_lists/concerts-1975.html

Z0S0
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Z0S0 »

I don't have the set as yet so I cant judge the 74 show though I'm looking forward to it from the comments here, he certainly was in superb voice on the official release , shocking how fast that fell apart though - he was a shadow off this within months !

having owned the DAE release of the 75 show though ive always thought it to be over-rated ??
again its getting lots of praise here so is it me ? he was better in march/apr in vegas & he was certainly better in July (I think)
I always regarded it as a 'nice listen' but I don't think he delivered the goods in Memphis like he did in 74 - in fact I don't think he should have gone back, certainly not in 76 ! he should have left his Memphis legacy with the official release !

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

"There was a reason they nicknamed him the King of Rock + Roll, !!!
THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:
swaggering, daring, Proud yet humble, beaten yet never truly down,
MAGNIFICENT when victorious and always unforgettable! "

( Q magazine review 'Artist Of The Century' Dec 1999 )

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Someone needs to get to the bottom of the source for Also Sprach Zarathustra.

jimbo27
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by jimbo27 »

Z0S0 wrote:I don't have the set as yet so I cant judge the 74 show though I'm looking forward to it from the comments here, he certainly was in superb voice on the official release , shocking how fast that fell apart though - he was a shadow off this within months !

having owned the DAE release of the 75 show though ive always thought it to be over-rated ??
again its getting lots of praise here so is it me ? he was better in march/apr in vegas & he was certainly better in July (I think)
I always regarded it as a 'nice listen' but I don't think he delivered the goods in Memphis like he did in 74 - in fact I don't think he should have gone back, certainly not in 76 ! he should have left his Memphis legacy with the official release !
I also have the DAE show, listened to it recently, Back to back with March 22nd and April 24th, verdict: Memphis 75 is overrated.

Cheers

Jimbo

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Domino »

This is off topic but still FTD related.
Has anyone got the Girl Happy FTD with the booklet printed wrong ? I tried rearranging the pages but it can't be done.
the pictures don't flow from one to the next because each page was printed as one rather than half and half.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years

Post by LesterB »

What a difference from 74 to 75.

Much of 75 (especially june and july) was very good but in 74 Elvis still had the occasional show where he was truly great.

Very pleased with this FTD release.

JUST FOR TODAY

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

LesterB wrote:What a difference from 74 to 75.

Much of 75 (especially june and july) was very good but in 74 Elvis still had the occasional show where he was truly great.

Very pleased with this FTD release.
Thanks for the update Lester. I'm looking forward to getting my copy of this release. I'm especially excited to hear the 1974 show.

rlj

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

You wont be disappointed...its a good one.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

Name the show where he was truly great in 1974. I think he's consistently credible in these March shows with none of them equaling April or June, 1972. I assume this March 17 show is virtually identical to the other two 1974 Memphis shows we have and the Richmond (48 Hours) one. Which is the best?

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

stevelecher wrote:Name the show where he was truly great in 1974. I think he's consistently credible in these March shows with none of them equaling April or June, 1972. I assume this March 17 show is virtually identical to the other two 1974 Memphis shows we have and the Richmond (48 Hours) one. Which is the best?
Beside the quality shows we already have from FTD, for me it was June 23, 1974, afternoon show in Philadelphia. The show was amazing, his voice was strong, the songs were delivered with commitment, and he looked awesome in that beautiful Peacock jumpsuit. Elvis was in good voice, good interaction with the crowd, and a solid set list. It was put entertainment that afternoon in Philly.

rlj

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D i always enjoyed the Philadelphia shows from 1974- but i never rated them much above routine/ok from an 'ok' tour. i did appreciate Elvis's version of 'Bridge' from the E/S!~ :D

still got home !@ 7pm tonight and love first memphis show Elvis in very VERY GOOD FORM!~ :D(ONLY JUST GOT EM!~) :sosorry: j,b goode is decent(NOT slurred!~) play it james!~ 8)

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

sundial77
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by sundial77 »

Looking forward to hearing this March 17th Memphis show. I was always of the opinion that the March 20th show was the best show from'74 and couldn't be bettered... however that changed when I heard the awesome Richmond show! So I await to see if my opinion will change again!!

Jamie

Post by Jamie »

sundial77 wrote:Looking forward to hearing this March 17th Memphis show. I was always of the opinion that the March 20th show was the best show from'74 and couldn't be bettered... however that changed when I heard the awesome Richmond show! So I await to see if my opinion will change again!!
Still the 20th for me I just find the show overall a notch up in quality. The set list is better too with the extra songs after Trilogy. But they are both better than 17th Imo. Two potential highlights in Trying to get to you and I can't stop loving you are spoilt by laughter or comments. It's a solid show and he's in good spirits but....no HGTA either.

Cheers

Gator's got me Granny.

sundial77
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by sundial77 »

Jamie wrote:
sundial77 wrote:Looking forward to hearing this March 17th Memphis show. I was always of the opinion that the March 20th show was the best show from'74 and couldn't be bettered... however that changed when I heard the awesome Richmond show! So I await to see if my opinion will change again!!
Still the 20th for me I just find the show overall a notch up in quality. The set list is better too with the extra songs after Trilogy. But they are both better than 17th Imo. Two potential highlights in Trying to get to you and I can't stop loving you are spoilt by laughter or comments. It's a solid show and he's in good spirits but....no HGTA either.

Cheers
Thanks Jamie, disappointing that HGTA not included, I am however looking forward to All Right Mama and Johnny B, as I don't believe I've thus far heard a '74 version of either.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

sundial77 wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Cheers
Thanks Jamie, disappointing that HGTA not included, I am however looking forward to All Right Mama and Johnny B, as I don't believe I've thus far heard a '74 version of either.
I'm looking forward to hearing the show too - sadly I have to wait till Christmas!

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

sundial77 wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Cheers
Johnny b. Was included on several shows in march. Including the march 2 show as released on the sold out ftd (great version) thats all right we dont see until i guess october. So this early version makes it great. The version on this ftd sounds to be like the arrangement of my baby left me

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets