"Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: "Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)"

Post by Juan Luis »

Barbie wrote:Love love love this song.................always been a favourite of mine!!!!!! Great vocals by Elvis!!!!!! :)
Thanks for stopping by!

matilda
Banned
Banned

Re: "Any Way You Want Me" (That's How I Will Be)"

Post by matilda »

colonel snow wrote:
Dixieland Rocks wrote:
colonel snow wrote:Too much echo added; the "dry" version without echo sounds better in my opinion.

colonel snow
Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be) and I Want You, I Need You , I Love You are two very under appreciated songs in my opinion. When I was growing up (before I was a fan) my mother had The Elvis' Golden Records LP and those two songs hold their own with the rest of the songs on the LP. It just seems they don't get as much notoriety as the others on the album.

Where can I find the "dry" version?

The dry version is circulating on tape in collector's circles.

colonel snow
Care to share?
Besides, I was not aware that this recording is very echoe-laden.
So.....give please a sample of a dry version?

TINML

Post by TINML »

One of his finest ballads from any era IMO.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Toddman38

Post by Toddman38 »

One of my favorite early Elvis slow songs...

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

Vocal brilliance. Every word is crystal clear.

That man could sing.

Also released as the B side to this 1987 UK single (PB 49595) which peaked at #58.

The cover incorrectly states from 'The All Time Greatest Hits'. It does not appear on that album.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

matilda wrote:
colonel snow wrote:
Dixieland Rocks wrote:
colonel snow wrote:Too much echo added; the "dry" version without echo sounds better in my opinion.
colonel snow
Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be) and I Want You, I Need You , I Love You are two very under appreciated songs in my opinion. When I was growing up (before I was a fan) my mother had The Elvis' Golden Records LP and those two songs hold their own with the rest of the songs on the LP. It just seems they don't get as much notoriety as the others on the album.
Where can I find the "dry" version?
The dry version is circulating on tape in collector's circles.
colonel snow
Care to share?
Besides, I was not aware that this recording is very echo-laden...
Same here... the version Juan posted in the OP sounds dry to me... perhaps a touch of reverb but I don't hear any echo...

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

How do I think of this song now and many others as well? Another classic Elvis song ignored in concert like so much of his brilliant back catalog, the best anyone'e ever had. Instead we got tons of ONJ, Mountain, Caroline, Bridge and My Way. And lets not forget Little Darlin. Criminal

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote:How do I think of this song now and many others as well? Another classic Elvis song ignored in concert like so much of his brilliant back catalog, the best anyone'e ever had. Instead we got tons of ONJ, Mountain, Caroline, Bridge and My Way. And lets not forget Little Darlin. Criminal
Well, Elvis also gave much attention to the lyrics. He was the opposite of those lyrics. Cannot imagine him singing this number during the 70's.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

r&b wrote:How do I think of this song now and many others as well? Another classic Elvis song ignored in concert like so much of his brilliant back catalog, the best anyone'e ever had. Instead we got tons of ONJ, Mountain, Caroline, Bridge and My Way. And lets not forget Little Darlin. Criminal
Singing songs HE wanted to sing.

Sure, he could of put a few more of his own hits in there but it is what it is.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

As you know, some here absolutely love those selections, and might have even disliked it if Elvis sang more ... "oldies."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

r&b wrote:Instead we got tons of ONJ, Mountain,
Of the tons of ONJ and Mountain - did he ever do 'Mississippi Queen' or 'For Yasgur's Farm'?

;)

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

Juan Luis wrote:
Well, Elvis also gave much attention to the lyrics. He was the opposite of those lyrics. Cannot imagine him singing this number during the 70's.
Well, love me was along the same lines and he still sang it.
So i don't think it had to do with lyrics.
Last edited by matilda on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

goldbelt wrote:
r&b wrote:Instead we got tons of ONJ, Mountain,
Of the tons of ONJ and Mountain - did he ever do 'Mississippi Queen' or 'For Yasgur's Farm'?

;)
Ha!

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

Elvis loved the music of Olivia very, very much.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

matilda wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
"Love Me" was popular. AWYWM is about changing. Too much to ask of him.

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

Sorry, a bit of a stretch to think it had to do with the lyrics.
Love me, the lyrics, didn't suit elvis' personality either (like a lot of songs ) and still he sang it live.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

matilda wrote:Sorry, a bit of a stretch to think it had to do with the lyrics.
Love me, the lyrics, didn't suit elvis' personality either (like a lot of songs ) and still he sang it live.
Elvis did "treat me mean and cruel" in a sexy way...it was a Leiber & Stoller country spoof Elvis worked with. And it was popular. AWYWM could have suited Elvis in the 50's, but not in the 70's. He wasn't going to sing slow songs like that. "Teddy Bear" and the like Elvis did albeit in a throwaway manner. He wasn't interested in singing non-adult BALLAD material in the 70's. And the ones he did (were fast pop or rock) ...were pretty much thrown away.

TINML

Post by TINML »

goldbelt wrote:Elvis loved the music of Olivia very, very much.
Sad but true

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

TINML wrote:
Sad but true
Those Two(2) songs that he performed.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TINML wrote:
Sad but true
Actually, what he loved were two of her top ten singles in 1973-1974. He was still singing one of them in 1977.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

"This next song is by Olivia Newton-John"

brian

Post by brian »

Elvis Presley performed most of his most popular singles in concert for his american audience. As you know if you ask people in the U.S. who claim they are big Elvis fans what their favorite songs are they can only name maybe ten. It's hound dog, teddy bear, All shook up etc. They wouldn't know Anyway you want me and that's a shame. Most people in the U.S. are surprised that Elvis' catalog of music was so deep. So I can understand why he never performed it. I find it refreshing to come to this forum to speak with die hard fans that are aware of so many of his songs. Elvis' fans that were the majority of his audience in concert would know those covers more than most of his own songs. That's a damn shame.
Last edited by brian on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

matilda wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
Not at all. If he could do a full version of Little Darlin (altho a spoof) he could have done Anyway You Want Me. or one of his many classic songs where lyrics dont even come into play as being juvenile (Dont, Mess of Blues, My Wish Came True, Latest Flame, etc). The sad fact is he ignored the greatest back catalog anyone's ever accumulated in popular music for some less than stellar material time and time again

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Interestingly, I recently discovered that Elvis was slated to sing this B-side at CBS-TV in Los Angeles, on 9-09-1956 (Sun). The original song line-up noted in some TV listings for his appearance on the "Ed Sullivan Show" was:

Don't Be Cruel
Ready Teddy
Any Way You Want Me
How Kool would that have been ?

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Eggrert

Post by Eggrert »

I don't know if the beautiful intimacy of Any Way You Want Me could have been effectively translated to a stage setting. In any case, I absolutely love the studio master and actually prefer it to the other sides cut at that session (sacrilegious, I know!).