Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Vinyl Collecting - Current

Post by emjel »

Excluding what I consider are public domain releases and those done by FTD, can anyone advise or give a list of the more unusual vinyl albums released by Sony or leased to third parties (so therefore official) that are interesting. One release that springs to mind came out on Record Store Day in France and was a double of Elvis is Back and His Hand In Mine, but I'm not sure if it is an official release as opposed to a PD one. There are just so many labels out there it's difficult to know what can be classed as legit in the true sense.
Also does anyone know of any other official RSD releases apart from this years I'm Leavin'. Thanks.
Last edited by emjel on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Claus

Re: Vinyl Collecting - Current

Post by Claus »

Elvis Sings

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

Claus wrote:Elvis Sings

Thanks. Good photo. Is that a gatefold sleeve. I assume licensed by Sony to Music on Vinyl. Also just seen Showroom International which is a RSD release for 2014.

~

Claus

Post by Claus »

emjel wrote:
Claus wrote:Elvis Sings

Thanks. Good photo. Is that a gatefold sleeve. I assume licensed by Sony to Music on Vinyl. Also just seen Showroom International which is a RSD release for 2014.
According to their site it is a gatefold.

You can see all MOV Elvis releases here:

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/elvis-presley#.V5DbkbiLSM-

Their pressings are high quality but I have not bought any of their Elvis releases.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

emjel wrote: One release that springs to mind came out on Record Store Day in France and was a double of Elvis is Back and His Hand In Mine, but I'm not sure if it is an official release as opposed to a PD one.
...it`s a PD release...and although I don`t collect PD releases...I got this one because it is very nice...as well as a few other PD releases (see below).

this is my current vinyl...released over the last few yrs;

MRS (3)

SUCH A NIGHT, COMPLETE LOUISIANNA HAYRIDE ARCHIVES, ELVIS LIVE IN THE 50`s

SPEAKERS CORNER RECORDS (8)

FOR LP FANS ONLY, A DATE WITH ELVIS, HIS HAND IN MINE, ELVIS IS BACK, GOLDEN RECORDS 3, ELVIS` CHRISTMAS ALBUM, FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, GOLD RECORDS 4

SONY LEGACY (6)

THE ESSENTIAL, IF I CAN DREAM, MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, ELVIS AT STAX, VIVA ELVIS, ELVIS PRESLEY

NEWBURY COMICS (2)

ELVIS PRESLEY, ELVIS AT STAX

SONY EU (4)

SHOWROOM INTERNATIONALE (RSD), GOLDEN RECORDS, 30#1 HITS, GREATEST SINGLES EVER BOX

AUDIO FIDELITY (1)

JAILHOUSE ROCK

FRIDAY MUSIC (16)

TV SPECIAL, ALOHA, LOVING YOU, CHRISTMAS ALBUM, GOLD RECORDS 2, GIRL HAPPY, TTWII, FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, A DATE WITH ELVIS, GOLD RECORDS 5, BLUE HAWAII, GOLDEN RECORDS, ELVIS, MOODY BLUE, RAISED ON ROCK, KING CREOLE...plus the upcoming ROUSTABOUT (AUG.19)

MUSIC ON VINYL (25)

THE 50 GREATEST HITS, GOLD RECORDS 2 (gold vinyl), FRANKIE & JOHNNY, CLAMBAKE, GOLD RECORDS 2, ELVIS PRESLEY, ELVIS PRESLEY (pink vinyl), FUN IN ACAPULCO, GI BLUES, GIRL HAPPY, GIRLS,GIRLS,GIRLS, ROUSTABOUT, FROM ELVIS IN MEMHIS, TTWII, LOVING YOU, VIVA ELVIS, VIVA LAS VEGAS, A DATE WITH ELVIS, 30#1 HITS, MADISON, ELVIS `56, 2ND TO NONE, TTWII 4LP, ALOHA 4LP, LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMHIS 4LP

ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS (3)

ESSENTIAL ELVIS VOL.2, 24 KARAT HITS, ELVIS IS BACK

ORIGINAL RECORDINGS GROUP (1)

GOLDEN RECORDS 3

RSD (5)

I`M LEAVIN, SHOWROOM INTENATIONALE, ELVIS SINGS (EU), IF I CAN DREAM/ANYTHING THAT`S PART OF YOU 45, THAT`S ALL RIGHT/BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY 45

THIRD MAN RECORDS (2)

MY HAPPINESS 45, MY HAPPINESS 10 inch.

COLLECTIBLE RECORDS (4)

TOP ALBUM COLLECTION 1, TOP ALBUM COLLECTION 2, HITS SINGLES COLLECTION 1, HIT SINGLES COLLECTION 2

VEE TONE RECORDS (PD - 3)

THE BRITISH HMV SINGLES 56 - 57, THE BRITISH HMV SINGLES 57 - 58, SUCH A NIGHT

...hope this helps!! :wink:

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

sweetangeline wrote:
emjel wrote: One release that springs to mind came out on Record Store Day in France and was a double of Elvis is Back and His Hand In Mine, but I'm not sure if it is an official release as opposed to a PD one.
...it`s a PD release...and although I don`t collect PD releases...I got this one because it is very nice...as well as a few other PD releases (see below).

this is my current vinyl...released over the last few yrs;

MRS (3)

SPEAKERS CORNER RECORDS (8)

FOR LP FANS ONLY, A DATE WITH ELVIS, HIS HAND IN MINE, ELVIS IS BACK, GOLDEN RECORDS 3, ELVIS` CHRISTMAS ALBUM, FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, GOLD RECORDS 4

SONY LEGACY (6)

THE ESSENTIAL, IF I CAN DREAM, MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, ELVIS AT STAX, VIVA ELVIS, ELVIS PRESLEY

NEWBURY COMICS (2)

ELVIS PRESLEY, ELVIS AT STAX

SONY EU (4)

SHOWROOM INTERNATIONALE (RSD), GOLDEN RECORDS, 30#1 HITS, GREATEST SINGLES EVER BOX

AUDIO FIDELITY (1)

JAILHOUSE ROCK

FRIDAY MUSIC (16)

TV SPECIAL, ALOHA, LOVING YOU, CHRISTMAS ALBUM, GOLD RECORDS 2, GIRL HAPPY, TTWII, FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, A DATE WITH ELVIS, GOLD RECORDS 5, BLUE HAWAII, GOLDEN RECORDS, ELVIS, MOODY BLUE, RAISED ON ROCK, KING CREOLE...plus the upcoming ROUSTABOUT (AUG.19)

MUSIC ON VINYL (25)

THE 50 GREATEST HITS, GOLD RECORDS 2 (gold vinyl), FRANKIE & JOHNNY, CLAMBAKE, GOLD RECORDS 2, ELVIS PRESLEY, ELVIS PRESLEY (pink vinyl), FUN IN ACAPULCO, GI BLUES, GIRL HAPPY, GIRLS,GIRLS,GIRLS, ROUSTABOUT, FROM ELVIS IN MEMHIS, TTWII, LOVING YOU, VIVA ELVIS, VIVA LAS VEGAS, A DATE WITH ELVIS, 30#1 HITS, MADISON, ELVIS `56, 2ND TO NONE, TTWII 4LP, ALOHA 4LP, LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMHIS 4LP

ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS (3)

ESSENTIAL ELVIS VOL.2, 24 KARAT HITS, ELVIS IS BACK

ORIGINAL RECORDINGS GROUP (1)

GOLDEN RECORDS 3

RSD (5)

I`M LEAVIN, SHOWROOM INTENATIONALE, ELVIS SINGS (EU), IF I CAN DREAM/ANYTHING THAT`S PART OF YOU 45, THAT`S ALL RIGHT/BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY 45

THIRD MAN RECORDS (2)

MY HAPPINESS 45, MY HAPPINESS 10 inch.

COLLECTIBLE RECORDS (4)

TOP ALBUM COLLECTION 1, TOP ALBUM COLLECTION 2, HITS SINGLES COLLECTION 1, HIT SINGLES COLLECTION 2

VEE TONE RECORDS (PD - 3)

THE BRITISH HMV SINGLES 56 - 57, THE BRITISH HMV SINGLES 57 - 58, SUCH A NIGHT

...hope this helps!! :wink:
Wow, that's some list. Thanks for taking the time to type all of that out and confirming my thoughts about that French RSD Release. I've just ordered the other two RSD releases Showroom International and Elvis Sings.

~

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

emjel wrote:Wow, that's some list. Thanks for taking the time to type all of that out and confirming my thoughts about that French RSD Release. I've just ordered the other two RSD releases Showroom International and Elvis Sings.
your welcome...these two 45 RSD releases are very nice also...you should check them out;
sweetangeline wrote:IF I CAN DREAM/ANYTHING THAT`S PART OF YOU 45
SONY U.S 2015
sweetangeline wrote:THAT`S ALL RIGHT/BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY 45
SONY U.S 2010 the first RSD Elvis release!!

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

sweetangeline wrote:
emjel wrote:Wow, that's some list. Thanks for taking the time to type all of that out and confirming my thoughts about that French RSD Release. I've just ordered the other two RSD releases Showroom International and Elvis Sings.
your welcome...these two 45 RSD releases are very nice also...you should check them out;
sweetangeline wrote:IF I CAN DREAM/ANYTHING THAT`S PART OF YOU 45
SONY U.S 2015
sweetangeline wrote:THAT`S ALL RIGHT/BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY 45
SONY U.S 2010 the first RSD Elvis release!!
Will check out. So has there been an official Sony RSD Elvis release every year since 2010.

~

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

...no that`s everything from SONY RSD wise...unless you want to count the TMR release of MY HAPPINESS 10 in. that came out last year which was cool...and remember the RSD releases usually have a U.S / E.U counterpart :wink:

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years

Post by YDKM »

:D i was lucky enough to see these 3 beauty's last night and they are truly AWESOME....a familly friend basically just gets these to LOOK AT EM!~...and having seen them i CAN understand why!~ 8)

MRS (3)

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

TheMaskedClown
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by TheMaskedClown »

Are the Rockwell coloured vinyl releases worth collecting? They are promoted as limited editions (150-300).

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

sweetangeline wrote:...no that`s everything from SONY RSD wise...unless you want to count the TMR release of MY HAPPINESS 10 in. that came out last year which was cool...and remember the RSD releases usually have a U.S / E.U counterpart :wink:
Do you know which of these, if any, use analogue tapes which I assume are the originals as opposed to newer remastered digital like FTD. Thanks.

~

vinyljunkie
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by vinyljunkie »

emjel wrote: Do you know which of these, if any, use analogue tapes which I assume are the originals as opposed to newer remastered digital like FTD. Thanks.
Absolutely none of the new vinyl's are analogue transfers. Sorry to say but that's how it is. All transfers are made in the digital domain to keep the quality as high as possible during the mastering process.

Thomas S.

TheMaskedClown

Post by TheMaskedClown »

vinyljunkie wrote:
emjel wrote: Do you know which of these, if any, use analogue tapes which I assume are the originals as opposed to newer remastered digital like FTD. Thanks.
Absolutely none of the new vinyl's are analogue transfers. Sorry to say but that's how it is. All transfers are made in the digital domain to keep the quality as high as possible during the mastering process.
That makes sense.

Claus

Post by Claus »

AP, ORG and Speakers Corner are the only ones releasing AAA vinyl. The others are digital.

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

YDKM wrote::D i was lucky enough to see these 3 beauty's last night and they are truly AWESOME....a familly friend basically just gets these to LOOK AT EM!~...and having seen them i CAN understand why!~ 8)

MRS (3)

they are exceptional!!
TheMaskedClown wrote:Are the Rockwell coloured vinyl releases worth collecting? They are promoted as limited editions (150-300).
stay clear of these!!
vinyljunkie wrote:Absolutely none of the new vinyl's are analogue transfers. Sorry to say but that's how it is. All transfers are made in the digital domain to keep the quality as high as possible during the mastering process.
WRONG...you need to do more re-search my friend!!
Claus wrote:AP, ORG and Speakers Corner are the only ones releasing AAA vinyl. The others are digital.
CORRECT...and each one of these is worth it (see my original list)

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

sweetangeline wrote:
vinyljunkie wrote:Absolutely none of the new vinyl's are analogue transfers. Sorry to say but that's how it is. All transfers are made in the digital domain to keep the quality as high as possible during the mastering process.
Claus wrote:AP, ORG and Speakers Corner are the only ones releasing AAA vinyl. The others are digital.
CORRECT...and each one of these is worth it (see my original list)
So are these analogue releases using the same original tapes as per the very original LP release? In other words, playing these is like listening to a stone mint copy of the original album.

~

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

emjel wrote:So are these analogue releases using the same original tapes as per the very original LP release? In other words, playing these is like listening to a stone mint copy of the original album.
YES...in fact I have heard some people say they sound even better but that`s more of a personal choice...but there not cheap!!
Last edited by sweetangeline on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shiatsujake
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by shiatsujake »

I have all my original vinyl that i bought in the seventies,and have just aqquired a retro turntable.Is it just me but do you notice you tend to play the complete album, because of the inconvienience of constantly lifting the arm and physically changing tracks.The major benefits of this are that you listen to tracks you would normally skip,which often turns in to a rediscovery of songs you would avoid in the digital world.Also,the experience of listening to an album the way it was originally compiled is more satisfying,and your listening skills are, i think, enhanced.What do you think?

vinyljunkie
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by vinyljunkie »

sweetangeline wrote:
You say so. But if you had known the source for the so called analogue transfers you are referring to, you might have been more modest in your reply.
Sony, has NOT done any analogue transfers of their original masters for many, many years. The few releases you are referring to as AAA are mastered from second or third generation tapes, NOT the original masters. 10 years or so ago, there were some so called master tapes in circulation among the reissue companies, but those tapes did came from the European master tapes. NOT original analogue transfers from the first generation US masters. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to listen to one of these tapes at a studio her in Germany. So I have at least seen one of the tapes for real. This was a Hamburg tape.

The fact is that Sony very rarely go back to the original masters. Not even the new box set is a new transfer, it's just a remaster of old transfers used for many other releases. Some exceptions do occur but those are far between and are limited to long lost but rediscovered tapes. Remaster is not the same as a new transfer.

More modesty would have suited you.

Thomas S.

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

vinyljunkie wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:
You say so. But if you had known the source for the so called analogue transfers you are referring to, you might have been more modest in your reply.
Sony, has NOT done any analogue transfers of their original masters for many, many years. The few releases you are referring to as AAA are mastered from second or third generation tapes, NOT the original masters. 10 years or so ago, there were some so called master tapes in circulation among the reissue companies, but those tapes did came from the European master tapes. NOT original analogue transfers from the first generation US masters. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to listen to one of these tapes at a studio her in Germany. So I have at least seen one of the tapes for real. This was a Hamburg tape.

The fact is that Sony very rarely go back to the original masters. Not even the new box set is a new transfer, it's just a remaster of old transfers used for many other releases. Some exceptions do occur but those are far between and are limited to long lost but rediscovered tapes. Remaster is not the same as a new transfer.

More modesty would have suited you.
you were incorrect in your original comment above and I stand by what I said with regards to Claus comment below;
and what I said;
sweetangeline wrote:CORRECT...and each one of these is worth it (see my original list)
I have them all and listened to them all...more modesty really wasn't necessary...you made a "blanket" statement and it needed correcting...but if you want more proof...just buy them like I did :wink:

TheMaskedClown

Post by TheMaskedClown »

Not being a baby boomer I don't know Elvis vinyl really well. I have bought 20 or so lp's and singles which I really like. On ebay I bought an original pressing of Girls Girls Girls in good condition. Cost me a motza but i treasure it in my collection. I dont have money to buy up big in vinyl.

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

Is it correct that For LP Fans Only on Speakers Corner is pressed on Gold Vinyl. Could not see anything on their site that indicates coloured vinyl

~

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

emjel wrote:Is it correct that For LP Fans Only on Speakers Corner is pressed on Gold Vinyl
NO...reg black vinyl...where did you hear this??

Topic author
emjel

Post by emjel »

sweetangeline wrote:
emjel wrote:Is it correct that For LP Fans Only on Speakers Corner is pressed on Gold Vinyl
NO...reg black vinyl...where did you hear this??
I have just found out I was given incorrect info. Apparently it's Friday Music.

~