Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

The Elvis Songs of Jerry Chesnut

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Following the theme which Jetblack set in with "The Elvis Songs of Aaron Schroeder" (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93460#p1499533), and which was followed by "The Elvis Songs of Winfield Scott" (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93535#p1500657), we now dig into:

The Elvis Songs Of Jerry Chesnut
BIOGRAPHY

JERRY CHESNUT was born May 7, 1931 and raised in the Harlan County coal mining camps of eastern Kentucky. He grew up with his guitar, listening to the Grand Ole Opry and the Mid Day Merry Go Round (a country radio show broadcast daily out of Knoxville). Following High School, he enlisted in the Air Force and served in the Far East during the Korean War. Upon discharge, he settled in Florida, where for seven years he performed on local radio stations and worked as a conductor for the Florida East Coast Railway System.

In 1958, Jerry moved to Nashville to pursue his first love, music. In 1967 (nine years later), Del Reeves released Jerry's first hit song, "A DIME AT A TIME".

Artists and producers were so impressed with Jerry's fresh approach to music that some even attended his demo sessions to get the first shot at this new supply of material. In those days, (Singers Sang), (Producers Produced), (Labels sold Records), (Bookers Booked), (Managers Managed), (Publishers Published), (Writers Wrote), and no one dreamed of trying to do it all. During this era, Jerry signed a contract with United Artist records and could possibly have had a successful recording career, however after several releases, his creative nature overcame his desire to be an artist, and to the amazement of his producer, he resigned.

At the prompting of Roy Clark and others, Jerry became a regular on the Hee Haw Show for a couple of years. Finding it was interfering with his songwriting, he also gave that up. In need of a place to meet with Artists and Producers, Jerry purchased a building in the heart of Music Row and settled down to writing and pitching his songs. The years that followed exceeded his fondest dreams. Jerry became involved with, and a friend of nearly everyone in the music industry throughout the entire world. In the late sixties and early seventies, he became known as the most versatile, productive, independent, hit songwriter of the times. For several years, he licensed the release of more than 50 recordings per year. This was the average of an unbelievable one per week. One particular week, he had 5 songs in the Billboard national chart and 3 in their Top Ten. In 1972, Jerry was named the Songwriter of the Year and in 1973, was acclaimed the International Writer of the Year. Jerry is the recipient of dozens of BMI Awards, 2 from ASCAP, 2 Grammy Nominations and 1 Tony, numerous Gold Records, and several Platinum ones.

After 12 nominations in 1996, Jerry's career was finally crowned by his induction into the Nashville Songwriters Foundation HALL OF FAME.

He was also inducted into the International Songwriters Association (ISA) HALL OF FAME in 1999.
From his personal website:
WHEN JERRY CHESNUT MET ELVIS

"I met Elvis through a mutual friend of ours, and so called Memphis Mafia member, Lamar Fike. I guess, to be perfectly honest, I have to say it was a somewhat
disappointing experience. I knew I was being introduced to the King of Rock And Roll and the Entertainer of the century. This was the greatest thing that could
happen to a songwriter like myself!

I had experienced my songs being recorded by Tom Jones, Brook Benton, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Jerry Lee Lewis, and some of the greatest
entertainers on earth, but this was different. This man was the Superman of the music world.

I guess I expected some supernatural feeling, but the fact is...
We shook hands, and in a voice kinda like a little humble, shy, teenage boy, he asked "How you doing'?" I don't remember how I answered...

It amazes me, to this day, looking back, how very simple and sincere True Greatness can really be. Without thinking, I found myself trying to write
Great Songs, not just Hit songs...

In the next two or three years, I frequented Graceland, went to the movies and recording sessions, took drives with Vernon, Elvis' father, put a TCB around my neck.
Elvis had it made for me and gave me the last one and I then stood and watched in disbelief as they opened his casket...

He had released 5 of my songs and was learning another (The Wonders You Perform), but suddenly he was gone...

I remever him as nothing amazing, nothing supernatural, never trying to impress anyone, just a Simple, Wonderful, Sweet American Kid that never really had a
chance to grow up, and yet...

Somehow I knew the entertainment world, and my life, would never be the same...

To me, this was, and always will be, "ELVIS".

Jerry"

The five Jerry Chesnut songs Elvis recorded were:

It's Midnight
Love Coming Down
Never Again
Woman Without Love
T.R.O.U.B.L.E

In this part of a radioshow, you'll hear Elvis' live versions of It's Midnight and T.R.O.U.B.L.E. and Jerry Chesnut who's telling that his wife is listening to Elvis
constantly:
http://www.jerrychesnut.net/JCElvisInterview_1.mp3

From a 2012 interview:
It's Midnight
A song Chesnut co-wrote with Billy Edd Wheeler.

Asserting that he generally disdained co-writing with anyone, Chesnut said he agreed to make an exception when Wheeler attempted to write a pop music variation on Chesnut’s “It’s Four in the Morning,” which had been a No. 1 for Faron Young in 1972.

After Wheeler failed in his attempt, he asked Chesnut, who was then running Wheeler’s publishing company, to help him with the song. Chesnut agreed and finished writing “It’s Midnight” on the drive back to Nashville from a golf tournament at a nearby state park.

How Elvis got the song
"Lamar Fike had been running Hill & Range,” Chesnut said, “and they gave Lamar a Fleetwood Cadillac to leave. … [After that] he wanted an office in my building and wanted to pitch songs for me. … Elvis was cutting [in town and Lamar] took [‘It’s Midnight’] down and played it for him, and he loved it. That was my tie-in. From that time on, when Elvis was in town and getting ready to cut, he’d tell Lamar to ‘see what Jerry’s got.'”

Presley cut “It’s Midnight” in 1973, and it became a No. 9 country hit.

Chesnut noted that Jose Feliciano has just released a version of “It’s Midnight.”
It's Midnight History - Website Jerry Chestnut.png

From a 2014 interview:
'T-R-O-U-B-L-E' spelled success for Jerry Chesnut in 1975. The Nashville songwriting great originally wrote the clever tune for singer Little David Wilkins, who really did play from '9 til half past 1' in a Nashville bar, and he had a stroke of genius when he realized he could rhyme certain words if he spelled them out.

The song became a hit with rock legend Elvis Presley, and again two decades later with country star Travis Tritt.

Chesnut recalled writing 'T-R-O-U-B-L-E' with Bart Herbison of Nashville Songwriters Association International. Nashville Songwriters Association's Bart Herbison talks with Jerry Chestnut.

Where did the idea for the song come from?

Little David Wilkins kept bugging me: 'Write me a hit, write me a hit'. He was playing Ireland's Restaurant. It was steak and biscuits, and they had a bar set up. David would go over there and play the piano from 9 til 1.

He's like Jerry Lee (Lewis), man, he's wild and great. We'd go over there and eat, have a few drinks and listen to David. I had watched him do this for a long time, and one morning, I decided to write a song for him, and I thought, 'What would I write for David that he could really do? It needs to be uptempo', because man, he could get out there and rock. 'He'll probably play it at that place, and he plays from 9 til 1. Well, I'll just write it about him'. I started out with 'I play an old piano from 9 til half past 1/ I'm trying to make a living watching everybody have fun'. I'd played so many skull orchards myself, and seen a good-looking woman walk in by herself, and it's trouble. I thought of that and thought, 'I'll put that in there'.

... It just kind of fell in place, and then I realized something. If you go to write down 'Bart', you can't write it without in your brain saying 'B-A-R-T'. It's the only way you can write it... . I got to realizing, not (just) the words, every letter is rhyming! (T-R-O-U-B-L-E, A-L-O-N-E, L-O-O-K-I-N-G).

It was meant to be.

Everybody was asking me, 'How in the world did you do that?' And I said, 'I don't know. It just happened. That's the way it was'.

Never Again
This song was born in a motel in Ashville, N.C. I was there for a visit with my friend, Billy Edd Wheeler, who lived nearby. Since we had enjoyed such good luck with 'It's Midnight', the first song we'd written together, we decided to write another song. Elvis captured both these songs, and strangely enough, we never even thought of writing anything together again. I guess there was nothing left to prove ...

Elvis recorded this song in the Jungle Room of Graceland in the last album he ever recorded, titled 'From Elvis Presley Boulevard'. It has since been re-released in a CD titled 'The Jungle Room Sessions'. Later, he came to Nashville, to record and they took him to a house with a studio in it, which was the fad here at the time. He took one look at it and left. I guess he thought, if he was going to record in a house, he'd do it in his!

Love Coming Down
In my catalog of several hundred songs I've written, this is one of my personal favorites. This is one of those songs that when you're writing it, the melody, and lines of the lyric just seem to fall together like they belong there. This is usually what occurs when you're working on a gigantic Hit song. I really believe that this song's day will come ... When I found out that Elvis was going to record it, I went to Memphis and attended the session in the Jungle Room of Graceland. I found Elvis quite upset because his dog was very ill.

He did the song, and also 'Never Again', another of my songs and then retired for the evening after remarking that I had destroyed him. What he meant, of course, was that the words of these two songs really got to him. He didn't just sing a song, he more or less lived it as he sang it. He was very conscience of what the song was all about. I hope you like it, and the way Elvis did it. This was in the album titled 'ELVIS PRESLEY BOULEVARD' and has been re-released on a new CD titled the 'The Jungle Room Sessions'. Jerry

Woman Without Love
This song is either loved or hated by women ! The ones who hate it are few, thank goodness, and do so because they resent hearing a man say a woman is nothin' at all, under any circumstance.
I still feel that a woman who has never known love, has never lived. I am certain this is one of the real standards I have written, and believe it will live long after I am gone.
I have recently changed the lyric slightly, to create a female version of it and maybe, it will be accepted by all ...

In the early 70's, Bob Luman released a single on this song and was immediately covered by Johnny Darrel. T.D. Valentine then released it (POP), and Brook Benton covered him and had the Hit on it. Elvis recorded it many years later ...
It was nominated for Song of the Year and was in the Top 40 National charts by all four Artists at the same time. It also came out in a couple dozen other albums, and was an award winner by the Nashville Song Writers Association. Now the verdict is yours, what do you think??
I am only certain of one thing, as I once wrote in a letter to Richard Nixon, we are all capable of being wrong, but 'critics never make history'

Not recorded by Elvis, but it seemed to be in the planning:
The Wonders You Perform

SOURCES
http://www.jerrychesnut.net/bio.html
http://www.jerrychesnut.net/songs44.html
http://www.cmt.com/news/1691776/elvis-presley-songwriters-recall-their-creative-contacts-with-the-king/
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/jerry-chesnut-remembers-elvis-presley.shtml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: The Elvis Songs of Jerry Chestnut

Post by brian »

Jerry Chestnut was a good country & western songwriter but the only song of his that I liked by Elvis was T-R-O-U-B-L-E.

Rob
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Rob »

MikeFromHolland wrote:The five Jerry Chestnut songs Elvis recorded were:

It's Midnight
Love Coming Down
Never Again
Woman Without Love
T.R.O.U.B.L.E
There's not a song here that I can say I do not like.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

You might want to edit the title of the thread, with the correct spelling of the songwriter's last name.

I just happened to be looking at the Jungle Room session logs on Keith Flynn's site last night. The work they did on the night/day of February 5/6 was impressive. Hurt, For The Heart and Danny Boy contributed to a 14 hour day, wrapping up at 2PM on the 6th, well past Elvis' bedtime.

The Chesnut songs were cut the following night, and Elvis didn't appear to be in the best of shape. In fact, the 5th/6th work may have been the high point of the project. Over the next two nights, only three masters were cut, along with the aborted attempts at America and Feelings.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

elvisjock wrote:You might want to edit the title of the thread, with the correct spelling of the songwriter's last name.
Done. Thanks!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

YDKM
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: The Elvis Songs of Jerry Chesnut

Post by YDKM »

yes i appreciate the songs of the lot 'IT'S MIDNIGHT' is the best one 'THE WONDERS YOU PERFORM is a great pity Elvis didn't record the religious inspired song!~
at one of the Asheville 1975 shows is it Jerry Chesnut is actually introduced!~

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

r&b

Post by r&b »

T-R-O-U-B-L-E is it for me. Its Midnight is nice for a B side. The others are bland and boring. Woman Without Love is one the worst he recorded in the 70's.

Tmorelli01
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Tmorelli01 »

I think Elvis was wise to leave The Wonders You Perform on the shelf. Very wordy and bland. It would have joined Take Good Care of Her, Mr Songman, Sweet Angeline and Love Song of the Year as filler tracks.

Fish
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Fish »

T-R-O-U-B-L-E is a great, wonderful Jerry Lee Lewis type rocker. Sits fine among Shake A Hand, I Can Help, Fairytale, Susan Whe She Tried and Pieces Of My Life.

Boy, how bad is The Wonders You Perform? Phew, glad he dodged that one. Those lyrics are beyond trite.

I can see the appeal of Love Coming Down but Never Again and Woman Without Love are quite uninteresting.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

It's Midnight
Love Coming Down
Never Again
Woman Without Love
T.R.O.U.B.L.E

The only one I don't care for is WWL, the others I really enjoy and all 4 are currently on my iPhone. 8)

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

Woman Without Love is a good song, idc what anyone says around here.

If anything, ppl are just afraid to admit that the lyrics ring true.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

It's a shame that Woman Without Love has dated so much lyrically, because it's actually a rather nice lilting country waltz, and a song that Elvis sings very nicely and without the strain, vibrato or excess volume he often brought to his later ballads. Like most others, I think It's Midnight and TROUBLE are far superior to the two tracks recorded for EP Boulevard.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

It's a miracle: "Woman Without Love was nominated for Song of the Year and was in the Top 40 National charts by all four Artists at the same time. It also came out in a couple dozen other albums, and was an award winner by the Nashville Song Writers Association."

A topic about NEVER AGAIN:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92998#p1487858

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

r&b

Post by r&b »

poormadpeter2 wrote:It's a shame that Woman Without Love has dated so much lyrically, because it's actually a rather nice lilting country waltz, and a song that Elvis sings very nicely and without the strain, vibrato or excess volume he often brought to his later ballads. Like most others, I think It's Midnight and TROUBLE are far superior to the two tracks recorded for EP Boulevard.
Has dated? It was dated when it came out. The girl I was seeing at the time (an Elvis fan) couldnt stand the words, and was very unhappy Elvis recorded such a song. Lets not forget the women's lib movement started in the late 60's. This was 1975. It was beyond dated already.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:It's a shame that Woman Without Love has dated so much lyrically, because it's actually a rather nice lilting country waltz, and a song that Elvis sings very nicely and without the strain, vibrato or excess volume he often brought to his later ballads. Like most others, I think It's Midnight and TROUBLE are far superior to the two tracks recorded for EP Boulevard.
Has dated? It was dated when it came out. The girl I was seeing at the time (an Elvis fan) couldnt stand the words, and was very unhappy Elvis recorded such a song. Lets not forget the women's lib movement started in the late 60's. This was 1975. It was beyond dated already.

Looks like Chestnut knows it as well, now. As he says:

"This song is either loved or hated by women ! The ones who hate it are few, thank goodness, and do so because they resent hearing a man say a woman is nothin' at all, under any circumstance.
I still feel that a woman who has never known love, has never lived. I am certain this is one of the real standards I have written, and believe it will live long after I am gone.
I have recently changed the lyric slightly, to create a female version of it and maybe, it will be accepted by all ..."

Unfortunately I can't find those new lyrics anywhere.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

r&b wrote:
And the male-dominated world of country music was so quick to catch on to the changing times. :roll: Here's Johnny Cash's My Old Kentucky Home from 1974 if the point need to be proved (the lyrics are by Randy Newman from 1970, but live versions by Newman from the mid-1970s as well).

How did the girl you were seeing get on with I Got a Woman, and being told a woman's place was in a home?! Rather unsurprisingly, no-one seems to mention THOSE lyrics, but that's a rock 'n' roll song and so anything goes, presumably.

r&b

Post by r&b »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
r&b wrote:
And the male-dominated world of country music was so quick to catch on to the changing times. :roll: Here's Johnny Cash's My Old Kentucky Home from 1974 if the point need to be proved (the lyrics are by Randy Newman from 1970, but live versions by Newman from the mid-1970s as well).

How did the girl you were seeing get on with I Got a Woman, and being told a woman's place was in a home?! Rather unsurprisingly, no-one seems to mention THOSE lyrics, but that's a rock 'n' roll song and so anything goes, presumably.
Well it was written in 1954, so I guess it gets a pass. Plus rock/r&b lyrics in the 50's (Shake Rattle & Roll is another) cant be compared to country lyrics of the 70's I dont think. Different times , genre and mindset. Another one she didnt like was What Every Woman Lives For.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

r&b wrote:Another one she didnt like was What Every Woman Lives For.
Your relationship with her didn't last I guess :wink:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

r&b

Post by r&b »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
r&b wrote:Another one she didnt like was What Every Woman Lives For.
Your relationship with her didn't last I guess :wink:

Nope lol

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

r&b wrote:Different times , genre and mindset.

The times were really different back than. Just like the mindset. A populair song of 2013:

"Hat is always forest so the bitches call me Gump. But compliment her tits and then its off to hump her. **** her in a Hummer while I rape her then I put her in a slumber.” – Tyler the Creator

Compared with this, Chesnut was a feminist.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

DayVee Bee
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by DayVee Bee »

Yeah :D

"I'm too Crazy to be Serious!"

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
r&b wrote:

Well it was written in 1954, so I guess it gets a pass. Plus rock/r&b lyrics in the 50's (Shake Rattle & Roll is another) cant be compared to country lyrics of the 70's I dont think. Different times , genre and mindset. Another one she didnt like was What Every Woman Lives For.
Why does it get a pass? He was singing it in 1969-1977, not just in the 1950s.

r&b

Post by r&b »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
r&b wrote:

Why does it get a pass? He was singing it in 1969-1977, not just in the 1950s.
And why do you argue every single post a person makes? I have no idea. I suppose it being a fun time rock and roll song written in 1954 as opposed to a song from the 70's after the whole movement is part of the reason. Its also a classic. The other is not. What more can I say? I havent seen this woman in 30 yrs, so perhaps she added I Got AWoman to her no listen list!.