More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Elvis on TV 1956-1960 MRS WOW !

Post by Davelee »

Could someone please tell me if the photos inside are colourized?

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

memphisflash wrote:The 'glitch' is in the start of Money Honey, maybe I have a (small) pressing fault - otherwise it's a stunning package, played the whole thing yesterday, and it is essential Elvis, pure dynamite ...
Thanks - So does it skip like a vinyl or something. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has this. It does look like a superb package. Did you get the book too

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

PiersEIN
Registered for: 21 years

Post by PiersEIN »

Davelee » "Could someone please tell me if the photos inside are colourized?"
NO, the pictures inside are NOT colourised, includes plenty of colour Wertheimer's for instance.
(and before people suggest that Pirzada has "stolen" (RIP) Wertheimer's photos, this book was written before 2012 as Gordon Minto can verify and the photos purchased from Wertheimer at the time.)

Lengthy review now posted on EIN.

Includes....

While the music has to be the main feature, the book nicely leads you through the six chapters each of which focus on Elvis’ key television appearances in the fifties, plus the added bonus of the Frank Sinatra show from 1960. The succinct liner notes are written by Gordon Minto, while the book design is credited to Miles Reape.

The seven chapters are
Introduction
The Dorsey Brothers Stage Show (CBS)
The Milton Berle Show (NBC)
Wink Martindale's Top Ten Dance Party (WHBQ)
The Steve Allen Show (NBC)
The Ed Sullivan Show (CBS)
The Frank Sinatra Timex Show (ABC)

The design is stylish with nice full-page pictures, easy to read text plus I like the mini image pointers for each chapter that are shown on an old TV set.

Gordon Minto has a very nice way with words, as you can tell from this small extract of his introduction..

“Picture the scene. It's January 1956; you're in New York - an awe-inspiring city at best of times; it's bitterly cold; you've just turned 21 years of age; you’re over one thousand miles from home and about perform on national television for the first time; and at this point, you've no big hits to your name, and really you’re only know in the South East of the USA. Well, that was Elvis' situation as he prepared himself for the Dorsey Brothers’ show on January 28… “

In the individual chapters Minto provides the main details and highlights of each TV performance. Matching the text, each chapter features around 15 pages of significant photographs, a surprising number of the in colour.

Go here for our 2000 word review... plenty of example images (sadly low res scans from my own copy)
>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_review_ELVIS-On-Television-1956-1960.html

Cheers
Piers

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Excellent review..as always..Piers..!!!!

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

buddy holly
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by buddy holly »

Not a word in the EIN review about a digital glitch but it says the last Dorsey show is sounding more distorted and has more hiss compared to Golden Celebration.

This makes me wonder. I have both Golden Celebration and the two Caught On Camera cd's. I'll buy this MRS release for sure but I'm not sure the sound will be a real improvement. I hope I'm wrong though.

Bring joy, avoid misery and be grateful

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

buddy holly wrote:Not a word in the EIN review about a digital glitch but it says the last Dorsey show is sounding more distorted and has more hiss compared to Golden Celebration.
This makes me wonder. I have both Golden Celebration and the two Caught On Camera cd's. I'll buy this MRS release for sure but I'm not sure the sound will be a real improvement. I hope I'm wrong though.
Apologies, the review was written before that 'glitch' discussion.
I TRULY WISH no one had mentioned it as I had not noticed it despite playing the CDs several times through headphones & loudspeakers.
Yes, there is a digital 'click' right at the start of Money Honey.
If you didn't know about it you might not notice. I was just enjoying Elvis rockin' out!
Damn you! :D :D

As I noted "While the audio has been improved upon from earlier releases, my only slight disappointment is that original audio recordings from the Kinescopes were of such low bandwidth that there is not much that anyone could do to overly improve them."
MRS has taken the recordings off the original kinescopes - no copying off RCA / BMG Golden Celebration where there was heavy top-end filtering.
At times (the earlier poor quality Dorsey shows for instance) this of course makes them very hissy but with more top-end.
BUT at least you can use a simple audio-equaliser to get them to how you prefer them to sound - unlike the original muffled releases.

Others like Ed Sullivan, Frank etc sound much better while the interviews are an amazing improvement.

Cheers
Piers

PS I do not own the two Caught On Camera CDs.
I cannot afford to buy everything especially with all these books coming out plus the extra postage to Australia.

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

Great release all round. Well recommended.

Brian

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

buddy holly wrote:Not a word in the EIN review about a digital glitch but it says the last Dorsey show is sounding more distorted and has more hiss compared to Golden Celebration.

Could be Maybe MRS couldn't source (steal) it from their usual place FTD, to get the sound they needed. :wink:

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Brian Quinn wrote:Great release all round. Well recommended.

Brian
great i'll buy a copy next Week!~ :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

promiseland wrote:

Could be Maybe MRS couldn't source (steal) it from their usual place FTD, to get the sound they needed. :wink:
Just as FTD 'lended' their Boston show from the Madison label? (Fact!)

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

Amazon refunded my order without even checking with me. Apparently the package was damaged?

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

If possible, it would be great if someone could do an A-B comparison in the sound changes made for this release.
It's a nice package but it would be welcome if the sound was enhanced over the Golden Celebration.

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

Should I reorder or avoid due to the glitch?

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

Arvis Paisley wrote:Should I reorder or avoid due to the glitch?
It's just a small glitch, the overall package isn't less enjoyable because of it

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

memphisflash wrote:
It's just a small glitch, the overall package isn't less enjoyable because of it
If it was an FTD that had a "small glitch", it would be a cue for 17 pages of condemnation and accusations of, "a catalogue of errors."

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years

Post by LesterB »

PiersEIN wrote:MRS has taken the recordings off the original kinescopes[/color] -
If this is true then presumably we can expect a DVD version of this set.

JUST FOR TODAY

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

LesterB wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:MRS has taken the recordings off the original kinescopes[/color] -
That would be nice.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

As I noted...... I TRULY WISH no one had mentioned it as I had not noticed it despite playing the CDs several times through headphones & loudspeakers.
Yes, there is a digital 'click' right at the start of Money Honey.
If you didn't know about it you might not notice. I was just enjoying Elvis rockin' out!
Damn you!
:D :D

Truly, it is one digital click.
FTD have released far worse & not re-pressed.
Buy it, you won't regret it.

Cheers
Piers

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

LesterB wrote:

Anyone else on the sound quality of this release?

JUST FOR TODAY

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

I just received this. I am listening tomorrow.

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

Well, I have to say that I don't even hear a glitch on Money Honey. I'm really enjoying the sound on this release. In fact, I feel like I'm realizing the immediacy and intensity of these performances for the first time (audio-wise...when you see them on the TV screen the energy is undeniable). I'm on Disc 1 track 21 right now, so I haven't finished listening. But the sound is definitely fuller and clearer.

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

Does it sound like it could have been mastered from the kinescopes rather than the BMG Gold Boxset?

JUST FOR TODAY

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

LesterB wrote:Does it sound like it could have been mastered from the kinescopes rather than the BMG Gold Boxset?
I don't have enough knowledge to make that judgment. But whatever source they used, the difference is like night and day. Don't hesitate to buy this!

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

LesterB wrote:
LesterB wrote:

Anyone else on the sound quality of this release?
I enjoyed listening this release. Sound is very nice considering the source. Haven't done actual comparison with Golden Celebration box set but overall MRS seem to be better quality.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

Thanks - ordered it Monday so hoping to have it today :)

JUST FOR TODAY