Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Chips Moman Dies

Post by drjohncarpenter »

DayVee Bee wrote:
Tornado wrote: ... A tribute to Chips should be made in the form of a compilation cd maybe double cd with all the hits and highlights of the Amrerican Studio over the years including Elvis, if Sony don't make a fuss about it.
https://www.amazon.com/Memphis-Boys-Story-American-Studios/dp/B006WAF3ZO

That's a good one!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by MaryAnn »

Not unexpected, but still very sad news.

Like many fans, I am drawn to those characters who pop up from time-to-time in Elvis's life who relate to him as a real person, appreciate his gifts, and challenge him to make the most of them.

I got to meet Chips and the Memphis Boys at EW 2009 and was able to thank them personally -- not only for the role they played in Elvis's career -- but for what they brought to the sessions of many other artists as well. The music they helped create will live forever.

Chips and the Boys are the real deal. Down to earth. No illusions. All about the music. They're musicians. Plain and simple. American Studios was a case of the stars aligning. I think the players knew they were part of something very special. They were making a living doing what they loved. That was enough. They would say they were doing their job. But we know they created magic.

RIP, Chips. Thank you.

drjohncarpenter

That is one heck of a beautiful eulogy. Thank you.

MaryAnn wrote:Not unexpected, but still very sad news.

Like many fans, I am drawn to those characters who pop up from time-to-time in Elvis's life who relate to him as a real person, appreciate his gifts, and challenge him to make the most of them.

I got to meet Chips and the Memphis Boys at EW 2009 and was able to thank them personally -- not only for the role they played in Elvis's career -- but for what they brought to the sessions of many other artists as well. The music they helped create will live forever.

Chips and the Boys are the real deal. Down to earth. No illusions. All about the music. They're musicians. Plain and simple. American Studios was a case of the stars aligning. I think the players knew they were part of something very special. They were making a living doing what they loved. That was enough. They would say they were doing their job. But we know they created magic.

RIP, Chips. Thank you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by karlos »

R.I.P. Chips Moman
Sad news indeed to hear
Thanks for the great memories and your work alongside Elvis in January and February 1969 at the legendary American Sound Studios
Deepest heartfelt sympathies and prayers to his family
[/b]

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

I met him in 1987 and thouroughly enjoyed chatting with him,top bloke.RIP Chips and thank you for the music

-instagram kenh1964

jeremylr
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by jeremylr »

A great musically gifted man who deserved so many more accolades than Memphis or the recording industry at large ever gave him. I've always wondered what his 1987 Memphis album collaboration with Ringo Starr would have sounded like.

drjohncarpenter

jeremylr wrote:A great musically gifted man who deserved so many more accolades than Memphis or the recording industry at large ever gave him. I've always wondered what his 1987 Memphis album collaboration with Ringo Starr would have sounded like.
I have as well. Some of it might be listenable. For many conflicting reasons, the sessions did not go as expected.

http://www.beatlesagain.com/barchive/lostrngo.html

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by MaryAnn »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jeremylr wrote:A great musically gifted man who deserved so many more accolades than Memphis or the recording industry at large ever gave him. I've always wondered what his 1987 Memphis album collaboration with Ringo Starr would have sounded like.
I have as well. Some of it might be listenable. For many conflicting reasons, the sessions did not go as expected.

Read the link with interest. Seriously wonder if the song mentioned in the article as "Whiskey and Soda" might actually have been "Scotch and Soda." Have always loved that Kingston Trio gem.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

Chips Moman was a great underrated producer who's contrbutions to Memphis music has been largely and unfairly ignored for some reason.

May Chips Moman rest in peace.

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by GERRY »

Another who stood up to Parker who tried to prevent SM and ITG from existing.

Would have been great if Elvis could have done more sessions with Chips.

R.I.P

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

God speed, Chips....had a chance to interview him many years ago, and he could not have been more cordial.

Roddy
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Roddy »

I was in Memphis the day he died and in the next day I went to the Stax and there was a simple but touching tribute to him.
RIP

drjohncarpenter

Roddy wrote:I was in Memphis the day he died and in the next day I went to the Stax and there was a simple but touching tribute to him.
RIP
Stax June 2016.jpg
Thank you for sharing this. What a nice gesture by the Stax representatives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jeremylr
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by jeremylr »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Are there any interviews with Chips or Ringo where they discuss the aborted sessions in the intervening years, or was the disappointing experience pretty much forgotten by journalists after the late '80s and never discussed again?

drjohncarpenter

jeremylr wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Are there any interviews with Chips or Ringo where they discuss the aborted sessions in the intervening years, or was the disappointing experience pretty much forgotten by journalists after the late '80s and never discussed again?
There may be. If I can find something, I'll share it here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.