Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Squire Smart
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

The old 1995 box sets

Post by Squire Smart »

This may sound like sacrilege but I am thinking of chucking out the actual packaging/the boxes that the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s set came in and just keep the Jewel cases (and the stamps and booklets). My reasoning for this is two fold:

1. My home is small and we as a family need to free up some space.

2. The three boxed sets are hidden away due to their very size and therefore the contents don't get played that much. Out of sight, out of mind etc etc. I plan to have the Jewel cases on my main cd cabinet on the Elvis shelf where they are much easier to access.

I'm never planning to sell the sets so getting rid of the boxes aren't going to cause any loss in resale price. Plus there doesn't seem to be much market for them anyway above £15-£20.

So what do you reckon? Am I being mad and ruining a classic set or doing the right thing given the need for space?

Squire Smart

Hobbes
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Re: The old 1995 box sets

Post by Hobbes »

It's all about the music. Besides, freeing up space on your shelf means you have room for MORE Elvis.

maxou

Post by maxou »

As most members On This Forum Can Buy Everything They want ,GET A LARGER HOME :smt023

Topic author
Squire Smart

Post by Squire Smart »

Hobbes wrote:It's all about the music. Besides, freeing up space on your shelf means you have room for MORE Elvis.
Thanks Hobbes, that was I was thinking. I know I've said on other threads how much I like physical product over say downloadable music but in this case i find it hard to justify holding onto those massive fat boxes. It's the music on those CDs that comes first and they're going to get played a whole lot more where I can get at them easily.

Squire Smart

TheKingisthething
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by TheKingisthething »

Squire Smart wrote:This may sound like sacrilege but I am thinking of chucking out the actual packaging/the boxes that the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s set came in and just keep the Jewel cases (and the stamps and booklets). My reasoning for this is two fold:

1. My home is small and we as a family need to free up some space.

2. The three boxed sets are hidden away due to their very size and therefore the contents don't get played that much. Out of sight, out of mind etc etc. I plan to have the Jewel cases on my main cd cabinet on the Elvis shelf where they are much easier to access.

I'm never planning to sell the sets so getting rid of the boxes aren't going to cause any loss in resale price. Plus there doesn't seem to be much market for them anyway above £15-£20.

So what do you reckon? Am I being mad and ruining a classic set or doing the right thing given the need for space?
Yep you are ruining the sets.. just give up your kids up for adoption instead!!
Last edited by TheKingisthething on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Greystoke wrote:You could sell them and buy the reissued smaller box sets.
Good idea!

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

1995..? The 50s box came out in '92, the 60s one in '93. Anyway, I threw away my TTWII and Young Man 12"x12" boxes in May and put the contents inside the 1990s sets. I keep those as they are important releases, but packaging wise I have no room or interest in bulky deluxe things any more. FTD Classic Albums and the recent 60CD box set are all I will definitely keep intact.

Topic author
Squire Smart

Post by Squire Smart »

King Volcano wrote:1995..? The 50s box came out in '92, the 60s one in '93. Anyway, I threw away my TTWII and Young Man 12"x12" boxes in May and put the contents inside the 1990s sets. I keep those as they are important releases, but packaging wise I have no room or interest in bulky deluxe things any more. FTD Classic Albums and the recent 60CD box set are all I will definitely keep intact.
It was the 70s set that was released in 1995, I just lump them all together year wise. I know what you mean about bulky sets though, space is a premium.

Squire Smart

Topic author
Squire Smart

Post by Squire Smart »

Yes but I don't like those smaller sets, I actually had the 60s set and hated it - the CDs are a real swine to get out the box plus the text is really small for the booklet. I chopped the mini set and went all out for the fat box sets. I also like that the original discs are in individual Jewel cases.

Also, the fat boxes don't fetch much on eBay.

Squire Smart

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

Squire Smart wrote:
Yes but I don't like those smaller sets, I actually had the 60s set and hated it - the CDs are a real swine to get out the box plus the text is really small for the booklet. I chopped the mini set and went all out for the fat box sets. I also like that the original discs are in individual Jewel cases.

Whatever you decide to do with the big ones I agree about the small boxes FWIW, they're horrible, poorly made and "designed".

Maybe you should keep the CDs in their jewel cases, put the large booklets from each set on a bookshelf with any other books, and throw the rest away. That way you've kept the core but will be rid of the bulky boxes..

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

I would never sell the 50's set. I don't care about the sound issue: IMO, this is just the most beautiful compilation / set / record dedicated to Elvis Presley. The song selection, the outtakes, the booklet, the stamps, the whole presentation, the elegant design. Perfect to me. None of the other two decade sets reached that quality.

smuling
Registered for: 9 years

Post by smuling »

King Volcano wrote:1995..? The 50s box came out in '92, the 60s one in '93. Anyway, I threw away my TTWII and Young Man 12"x12" boxes in May and put the contents inside the 1990s sets. I keep those as they are important releases, but packaging wise I have no room or interest in bulky deluxe things any more. FTD Classic Albums and the recent 60CD box set are all I will definitely keep intact.
You threw away the 12" boxes?? No! Holy..... Those are the best. Not only the music, but the boxes as well.

smuling
Registered for: 9 years

Post by smuling »

jeanno wrote:I would never sell the 50's set. I don't care about the sound issue: IMO, this is just the most beautiful compilation / set / record dedicated to Elvis Presley. The song selection, the outtakes, the booklet, the stamps, the whole presentation, the elegant design. Perfect to me. None of the other two decade sets reached that quality.
I agree. Although I got YMWTBB, the 60cd box, I bought the big 50s set a month ago (12 euro). Its too good not to have. I also bought the new little 50s 60s and 70s boxes to listen in my car

Topic author
Squire Smart

Post by Squire Smart »

King Volcano wrote:
Squire Smart wrote:

Whatever you decide to do with the big ones I agree about the small boxes FWIW, they're horrible, poorly made and "designed".

Maybe you should keep the CDs in their jewel cases, put the large booklets from each set on a bookshelf with any other books, and throw the rest away. That way you've kept the core but will be rid of the bulky boxes..
Yep, I had a go earlier this evening and it felt quite liberating 'releasing' the CDs and books from those big old boxes. Also nice to see the individual jewel cases out with their various images of Elvis on the front and back.

Squire Smart

Topic author
Squire Smart

Post by Squire Smart »

jeanno wrote:I would never sell the 50's set. I don't care about the sound issue: IMO, this is just the most beautiful compilation / set / record dedicated to Elvis Presley. The song selection, the outtakes, the booklet, the stamps, the whole presentation, the elegant design. Perfect to me. None of the other two decade sets reached that quality.
I won't be selling them, I just need to free up some space.

Whilst the fat boxes look great as a presentation cd set, I've actually found them a little inhibiting through their sheer size - they require their own space or area to reside in rather than your usual cd shelf (mine are actually in another room away from the hi-fi) - and also the awkward way the jewel cases sit on top of themselves in the plastic tray; IMO it doesn't make it conducive to easily access the music. It makes it a bit tedious, or 'a faff' as we say in the UK. :D

Squire Smart

Domino
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Domino »

I'll get rid of some other things before I destroy an Elvis box set.I don't play them much but I know where they are when I do. They are safe in the box they were bought in.I know having space is good to have but really,if I took those three boxes off the shelf the gained space wouldn't be much and I'd miss the boxes so can't tell you to ditch your boxes.Sorry.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

If you're that short of space, why not throw away all the jewel cases as well, or box them up and chuck them in the attic, and invest in a bunch of binders? You can store the inserts away safely somewhere - they take up no room at all - and if you ever change your mind or want to sell any, you can easily put everything back together.

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

Squire Smart wrote:
I won't be selling them, I just need to free up some space.

Whilst the fat boxes look great as a presentation cd set, I've actually found them a little inhibiting through their sheer size - they require their own space or area to reside in rather than your usual cd shelf (mine are actually in another room away from the hi-fi) - and also the awkward way the jewel cases sit on top of themselves in the plastic tray; IMO it doesn't make it conducive to easily access the music. It makes it a bit tedious, or 'a faff' as we say in the UK. :D
I keep the 12"x12" decade boxes (with other stuff inside them as mentioned above) with my vinyl LPs as they're the same size, looks quite tidy that way.

Topic author
Squire Smart

Post by Squire Smart »

The Pirate wrote:If you're that short of space, why not throw away all the jewel cases as well, or box them up and chuck them in the attic, and invest in a bunch of binders? You can store the inserts away safely somewhere - they take up no room at all - and if you ever change your mind or want to sell any, you can easily put everything back together.

Good idea. I've been doing that with our DVDs actually, arrowfile are a good supplier. One slight problem with the plan however is that the attic is long gone and is now a bedroom, and an office, and a store room, and a 'library', and a ...... you get the idea!

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Squire Smart

Domino

Post by Domino »

Squire Smart wrote:
The Pirate wrote:If you're that short of space, why not throw away all the jewel cases as well, or box them up and chuck them in the attic, and invest in a bunch of binders? You can store the inserts away safely somewhere - they take up no room at all - and if you ever change your mind or want to sell any, you can easily put everything back together.

Good idea. I've been doing that with our DVDs actually, arrowfile are a good supplier. One slight problem with the plan however is that the attic is long gone and is now a bedroom, and an office, and a store room, and a 'library', and a ...... you get the idea!

Thanks for everyone's comments.

A library? Most people don't have a library.You've got lot's of room for your "full" Elvis collection.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

r&b

Post by r&b »

I think it is too. It is also the one release that really got raves from every area of the media on all counts and set the standard for artists boxsets for years to come. It was a monumental release in many regards, but I realize time marches on and needs change.

OnStage55
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by OnStage55 »

Squire Smart wrote:
YES. :)

You must really be squeezed for space to break up those classic sets. I can understand your need to make room as i have a family also, but i've never
felt so squeezed for space that i would throw out anything from my Elvis collection, let alone breaking up any of my Box sets.

Even at one time years back when there was just the wife, 1 kid (now 4) and myself living in a one bedroom apartment, i found room for my collection.

I have been collecting Elvis since i was a kid and have kept everything since and on thru today, (a mountain now) and i can't imagine even tossing out 1 newspaper
clipping. Call me overly obsessive about my Elvis collection, some fans are not, but it's all part of my life's journey and the memories they hold are comforting for me.

I would keep those Box Sets becouse one day you may wish you had. :wink:

Rob

Post by Rob »

I would play a FTD release the car before I'd toss those boxes out.

And I'll be damned if I will EVER play a FTD release in a car.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by elvis-fan »

Rob wrote:I would play a FTD release the car before I'd toss those boxes out.

And I'll be damned if I will EVER play a FTD release in a car.
My truck is the only place I listen to mine...

chop983
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by chop983 »

Sell/Throw away, something else.