"A World Of Our Own"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
r&b

Re: "A World Of Our Own"

Post by r&b »

jetblack wrote:Elvis' voice is equisite on these 1962 recordings.

The ballads all have merit.

Relax
They Remind Me Too Much Of You
I'm Falling In Love Tonight
A World Of Our Own

Elvis nailed 'A World Of Our Own' in one take.

Andy
Great voice, big deal. Ballads, ballads, ballads. An album my Mom seemed to like more than me. I knew something was not good about that. To me, Elvis was morphing into Andy Williams. Wait, Andy had a top 10 hit that year with a Pomus/Shuman song. I take that back.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy
Great voice, big deal. Ballads, ballads, ballads. An album my Mom seemed to like more than me. I knew something was not good about that. To me, Elvis was morphing into Andy Williams. Wait, Andy had a top 10 hit that year with a Pomus/Shuman song. I take that back.
We should be thankful Elvis' genius and Sam Phillips' allowed him and crew to "stumble upon", and therefore be a part of a new creation. A new genre. A genre that inspired and provided the template for the followers to further and expand upon it. The others chose to rock and roll pretty much full time. Elvis didn't. Rock n' roll was just a part of him. But the ballads and the spirituals took up much more space within him. Just ask the "Harbor Lights", "I Love You Because" and "Blue Moon" guy! Elvis was home by 1960.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I listen to this song now and then, but when I do, it's for Elvis' flawless vocals during this period. The song itself is just ok.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy
We should be thankful Elvis' genius and Sam Phillips' allowed him and crew to "stumble upon", and therefore be a part of a new creation. A new genre. A genre that inspired and provided the template for the followers to further and expand upon it. The others chose to rock and roll pretty much full time. Elvis didn't. Rock n' roll was just a part of him. But the ballads and the spirituals took up much more space within him. Just ask the "Harbor Lights", "I Love You Because" and "Blue Moon" guy! Elvis was home by 1960.
It seems some will never grasp this concept.

There really is 'Something For Everybody' in the Elvis catalogue. His talent was just too great for one genre of music.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

jetblack wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy

There really is 'Something For Everybody' in the Elvis catalogue. His talent was just too great for one genre of music.

Andy
Of course I grasp it. Love Me, Dont, Dont Ask Me Why, Fame & Fortune, There's Always Me, etc etc, all top shelf ballads his great voice was utilized on, A World Of Our Own, Im Falling In Love Tonight and most movie songs, all second rate material his great voice was wasted on. Your point again?

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

Shame your Elvis knowledge ends in 1961. You are missing out on an awful lot of good songs. I can send you a list if it helps.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

emjel

Post by emjel »

jetblack wrote:Shame your Elvis knowledge ends in 1961. You are missing out on an awful lot of good songs. I can send you a list if it helps.

Andy
I sincerely doubt his knowledge ends in 1961. He is simply pointing out that the ballads done between 1956 and 62 were better whereas the ones on this album, whilst pleasant and sung with Elvis' exquisite rendering, are not as strong. Nothing to do with Elvis, but the material chosen.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy
Perhaps you don't know the fact that he actually wanted to be a crooner? Not a rock'n'roll star.

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"

Post by Davelee »

emjel wrote:
jetblack wrote:Shame your Elvis knowledge ends in 1961. You are missing out on an awful lot of good songs. I can send you a list if it helps.

Andy
I sincerely doubt his knowledge ends in 1961. He is simply pointing out that the ballads done between 1956 and 62 were better whereas the ones on this album, whilst pleasant and sung with Elvis' exquisite rendering, are not as strong. Nothing to do with Elvis, but the material chosen.
Some people who like almost everything Elvis did will not understand what you've just said.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Davelee wrote:
emjel wrote:

Andy
Some people who like almost everything Elvis did will not understand what you've just said.
Yep, you're probably right, but as long as the majority understand, I guess that's the main thing. But on here, that can be quite difficult with some especially if you say anything that contains the slightest detrimental comment - you're just not seen as a fan, but the enemy.

~

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

emjel wrote:

Andy
Thats right, but no need to respond to a comment like that. But since you did, I can add It Hurts Me, Something Blue, I Need Somebody To Lean On, Thats Someone You Never Forget, Love Me Tonight, Sand Castles. Its kind of what the etc.etc. stands for. That being said , the overall quality of them sure fall short of what came between 1956 and 1961. The movie ballads were pleasant but were cookie cutter songs, all very similar. And when you look at the writers of them, you understand why that is.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy
A few more points...so a great voice is no big deal? To me, the singers voice is a big deal. And might I add that just because my Mom would like certain songs would not mean that I wouldn't like them. But hey...that's just me.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Scarre wrote:
r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy
A few more points...so a great voice is no big deal? To me, the singers voice is a big deal. And might I add that just because my Mom would like certain songs would not mean that I wouldn't like them. But hey...that's just me.
Doesnt matter much to me if that great voice is singing Ito Eats, Old MacDOnald, Yoga Is, Petunia, Queenie, etc. It could be Caruso singing them and it would still be crap.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

r&b wrote:
Scarre wrote:
r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy
Doesnt matter much to me if that great voice is singing Ito Eats, Old MacDOnald, Yoga Is, Petunia, Queenie, etc. It could be Caruso singing them and it would still be crap.
But what about your mom...so just because she liked an album...something was not good ? Your taste is superior? Wow...

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Scarre wrote:
r&b wrote:
Scarre wrote:
r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy
But what about your mom...so just because she liked an album...something was not good ? Your taste is superior? Wow...
Geez no. DO you need a road map to follow my point? Elvis was starting to lose some appeal with his original fans and the teens of the day by 1963 and albums like Worlds Fair was one reason why. Very hard to explain if you didnt live it, but just one look at his chart success 1956-62, compared to 1963-68 is a good indication of what I mean. The number of #1's and top 10 hits came mostly 1956-62 because his records were simply better then. Great voice or not, not many of my pals were grooving to How Would You Like To Be and many just dismissed One Broken Heart For Sale.

Eggrert

Post by Eggrert »

r&b wrote:Great voice, big deal.
No, not "big deal." The only deal. Elvis could take the crappiest song and make it into something inexplicably magical. Something that Andy Williams (as much as I like him) could never do.

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

Eggrert wrote:
r&b wrote:Great voice, big deal.
No, not "big deal." The only deal. Elvis could take the crappiest song and make it into something inexplicably magical. Something that Andy Williams (as much as I like him) could never do.
Have you listened to the Kissin Cousins or PHS albums? Not much magic there. At his best, Elvis could elevate some lightweight material, as he did on IHATWF, but it wasn't all inexplicably magical.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

r&b wrote:
jetblack wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy

Andy
Of course I grasp it. Love Me, Dont, Dont Ask Me Why, Fame & Fortune, There's Always Me, etc etc, all top shelf ballads his great voice was utilized on, A World Of Our Own, Im Falling In Love Tonight and most movie songs, all second rate material his great voice was wasted on. Your point again?
Great post. I love the great ballads. But when this track and Petunia are considered great than the ones you list must be super extraordinary spectacular. That or most of the movie ballads are substandard tracks unfit for Elvis voice if you're honest. Here mediocre is exhalted kind of like a little league participation trophy. Look Dad i got a trophy for showing up.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

fn2drive wrote:
r&b wrote:
jetblack wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:

Relax
A World Of Our Own

Andy

Andy
Great post. I love the great ballads. But when this track and Petunia are considered great than the ones you list must be super extraordinary spectacular. That or most of the movie ballads are substandard tracks unfit for Elvis voice if you're honest. Here mediocre is exhalted kind of like a little league participation trophy. Look Dad i got a trophy for showing up.
That is the only thing that could remotely bring a good argument. IF IT WERE TRUE.

mrbthebarber

Post by mrbthebarber »

To me it's an OK song, it ain't rock n roll but it's one of the better movie ballads. A few of you have probably seen this topic I started on the mono vinyl of this song but some might not have -

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92577&hilit=a+world+of+our+own+mono

"Growing old is mandatory...........growing up is optional ;-) "

Chucky99

Post by Chucky99 »

jurasic1968 wrote:Absolutely agree. Elvis became Mickey Alba, unfortunately. Vince Everett died.

Vince Everett Would return in the end of 1968... :D 8) :lol:

Fish

Post by Fish »

@Scarre; your rudeness is unbelievable. Are you deliberately trying to miss r&b's point?

I can fully understand r&b's point and I fully agree as well. This song is at best a middle of the road movie ballad. This does not have to be a bad thing but I am sure songs like these were a disappointment when you grew up with Elvis. It must have been frustrating to hear him do songs like these when you knew he could do so much more (and better!). Even I (born in 1974) feel that frustration. For every World Of Our Own there could have been an It Hurts Me.
These typical movie songs are not harmless; they did destroy his (rock)credibility (much like those ballad A sides in the early 1970s).
Last edited by Fish on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

emjel wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
emjel wrote: But if you want the details - Elvis Presley Album Number 1 for 1 week On chart for 16 weeks. Please Please Me Number 1 for 30 weeks - On chart for 70 weeks.
So what's your point?
You said you wondered how Elvis did on his first album/first year So I've just given you the details. Simples.
Last I recall, Elvis' first LP "Elvis Presley" peaked at #1 for 10 weeks and remained the chart for a total of 49 weeks.

And let's not forget, in 1956, the Lp chart was still a top 25, not a full chart as in 1964, the Top LP's 100.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

emjel

Post by emjel »

minkahed wrote:
emjel wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
emjel wrote: But if you want the details - Elvis Presley Album Number 1 for 1 week On chart for 16 weeks. Please Please Me Number 1 for 30 weeks - On chart for 70 weeks.
So what's your point?
You said you wondered how Elvis did on his first album/first year So I've just given you the details. Simples.
Last I recall, Elvis' first LP "Elvis Presley" peaked at #1 for 10 weeks and remained the chart for a total of 49 weeks.

And let's not forget, in 1956, the Lp chart was still a top 25, not a full chart as in 1964, the Top LP's 100.
Where does 1964 come into this? And I guess you must be talking about the US charts whereas I'm talking about UK. In the UK, our album charts had 30 positions. Please Please Me was not issued as an album in the US.

~

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Fish wrote:@Scarre; your rudeness is unbelievable. Are you deliberately trying to miss r&b's point?

I can fully understand r&b's point and I fully agree as well. This song is at best a middle of the road movie ballad. This does not have to be a bad thing but I am sure songs like these were a disappointment when you grew up with Elvis. It must have been frustrating to hear him do songs like these when you knew he could do so much more (and better!). Even I (born in 1974) feel that frustration. For every World Of Our Own there could have been an It Hurts Me.
These typical movie songs are not harmless; they did destroy his (rock)credibility (much like those ballad A sides in the early 1970s).
Rudeness? Elaborate, please. I think a great voice is a big deal. I also believe that there is nothing wrong just because Mom likes a certain album. And as I said...he wanted to be a crooner.
The biggest problem some members here have...and I'm not talking about the soundtracks, is the style of music he chose to record. 45 years later it still seems to hurt that he didn't play much rock'n'roll after the 50's. He followed his "music" heart, and I'm glad he did.