"A World Of Our Own"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

"A World Of Our Own"

Post by Juan Luis »

A very nice ditty from "It Happened At The World's Fair". The soundtrack album reached #4 Billboard Hot 100. "A World Of Our Own" by Giant-Baume-Kay, has really nice singing, a good melody, and I have been enjoying it lately when it pops up on "shuffle play" when driving. 'Tiny' Timbrel and or Billy Strange on electric guitar with the jazz feel is a standout. Don Robertson on organ is also nice to a lesser degree and the Mello Men also sound good. Enjoy Elvis singing "A world Of Our Own". I do!
Ps. What other song does the outro remind you of? :)

"A World Of Our Own"

You kiss me darling, a miracle starts
A magic feeling, comes into our hearts
The spell of love began, when we're alone
And we're in, a world of our own

You say you want me, and music I hear
Touch me my darling, and clouds disappear
The sky is bright above, and cares have flown
And we're in, a world of our own

Holding you close, is heaven
Only I know, what it's worth
Knowing you're mine, forever
Is the greatest wonder on earth

Nothing can change it, the magic's begun
When we're together, our hearts become one
I find a happiness, I've never known
When we're in, a world of our own

When we're in...a world of our own

elvis-fan

Re: "A World Of Our Own"

Post by elvis-fan »

Now I like this one... in fact I really enjoy this whole soundtrack... it's one I play quite often. :smt023

Domino

Post by Domino »

I think the first soundtrack on vinyl I bought was It Happened At The World's Fair so I heard this song lot's and that means I liked it and still do.Two thumbs up for "A World Of Our Own".

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

elvis-fan wrote:Now I like this one... in fact I really enjoy this whole soundtrack... it's one I play quite often. :smt023
The whole soundtrack? Even How Would You Like To Be?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Forgot to add recorded on September 22, 1962 at Radio Recorders Studio B Hollywood, California with the great Dave Wiechman behind the console. Sounds fantastic and done in one take!

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Always reminded me of roller rink music. No thanks. Cheap, short subpar soundtrack, no bang for the buck and some annoying kiddie songs to boot. Vocally he was fine, but his talents were being wasted. Also the cover image was just not good. Heavy makeup. triple black dyed hair, eyelashes, & mascara in an expensive sport jacket and tie. Where was the Elvis I knew & loved? This LP and movie was a turning point for many long time fans I knew. Turning away that is. A studio album in 1963 with Devil In Disguise would have brought some of them back.

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by GERRY »

The first session upon Elvis return from the Army produced a treasure trove of hits didn't it.

seems sessions that followed were much more sparce in terms of big singles.

Simply because songs were being recorded for the movies to fit the script etc. Started at GI Blues after the hit filled first 1960 sessions.

Next sessions that produced big hits sort of replicated the furst session of 1960 and like 1960 first session was not for a movie yes the 69 memphis.

Am i correct?

And then you got the grammy winning gospel sessions. Seems whenever Elvis was doing a session that was not filled with songs for movies the hits and awards were flowing.

I love these songs though, even if they weren't hits.

They are gems to me. Keep up these great posts. ::rocks
Last edited by GERRY on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

A nice sympathetic little love song. They don't make 'm like this anymore. The beauty is in its simplicity, Elvis' beautiful voice and the pleasant backing.

Haven't listened to it for years. Glad you brought it back.

Still remember hearing the beautifully relaxed alternate of "I'm Falling in Love Tonight" for the first time from the 8-LP set Elvis Aron Presley. They played it in a night program on Dutch radio. It sounded like perfection to me. What a voice. The same voice as in A World Of Our Own. Another classic for me from It Happened At The World's Fair: They Remind Me Too Much Of You.

:smt023

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

TAS

Post by TAS »

I like it.

emjel

Post by emjel »

A pleasant song that I do like, but from an album that was simply too short and didn't really contain any strong tracks with the single One Broken Heart For Sale being the lowest placed single at Number 12 following a long run of chart toppers - no real surprise as it ran for just over one and half minutes. Elvis' voice on this album was top notch though as was all the recordings in the early 60s. The album was released in the UK in the May 1963, it topped out at Number 4 but unfortunately simply could not compete with The Beatles - Please Please Me album. Elvis was singing "How Would You Like To Be" and they were blasting out "Twist and Shout".

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

jeanno

Post by jeanno »

This was not a good album or, at least, not by Elvis standard. The best track was the single one and it was his worse release up to date. The lp was extremely short with some nice singing but no fire. Elvis was dangerously sliding in the soft pop music. Impossible to compete with what was coming...

TheKingisthething

Post by TheKingisthething »

Cheap, no melody, cliche back up... over the top sweet vocal... everything here is wrong!!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

emjel wrote:A pleasant song that I do like,...
Same with me....but no all time fave , of course..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

GERRY wrote:The first session upon Elvis return from the Army produced a treasure trove of hits didn't it.

seems sessions that followed were much more sparce in terms of big singles.

Simply because songs were being recorded for the movies to fit the script etc. Started at GI Blues after the hit filled first 1960 sessions.

Next sessions that produced big hits sort of replicated the furst session of 1960 and like 1960 first session was not for a movie yes the 69 memphis.

Am i correct?

And then you got the grammy winning gospel sessions. Seems whenever Elvis was doing a session that was not filled with songs for movies the hits and awards were flowing.

I love these songs though, even if they weren't hits.

They are gems to me.
Keep up these great posts. ::rocks
That about sums it up for me! Thanks.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

Nice song - I like it . It' s not often on my playlists but if I have the chance I listen to it. I also like the guitar part and Elvis sings great

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re:

Post by Juan Luis »

Fabbe wrote:Nice song - I like it . It' s not often on my playlists but if I have the chance I listen to it. I also like the guitar part and Elvis sings great

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
Yes. The guitar is understated, IMO.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

emjel wrote:A pleasant song that I do like, but from an album that was simply too short and didn't really contain any strong tracks with the single One Broken Heart For Sale being the lowest placed single at Number 12 following a long run of chart toppers - no real surprise as it ran for just over one and half minutes. Elvis' voice on this album was top notch though as was all the recordings in the early 60s. The album was released in the UK in the May 1963, it topped out at Number 4 but unfortunately simply could not compete with The Beatles - Please Please Me album. Elvis was singing "How Would You Like To Be" and they were blasting out "Twist and Shout".
And a soundtrack album that depends on scenes as the song with a kid. But instead of using "Twist And Shout", and making an extreme contrast for effect. "A taste Of Honey" or "Misery" would be a bit more fair, I would think. The slightest song from a soundtrack compared to one of the strongest from an up and coming group? Come on. If I were a teenager of the 1950's and Elvis fan.. I could have compared Elvis going for let's play house and down to business, instead of holding your hand, when the boys in the cute uniforms with the soup bowl haircuts came out! :) One can use contrast to the advantage while not being fair.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

jurasic1968 wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Now I like this one... in fact I really enjoy this whole soundtrack... it's one I play quite often. :smt023
The whole soundtrack? Even How Would You Like To Be?
OK maybe not that one... but for the most part Elvis' vocals are excellent even on some of the weaker tracks... he still cared about his movies in 1962 and his vocals are still exceptional here... and the songs are pretty good too!!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

emjel wrote:The album was released in the UK in the May 1963, it topped out at Number 4 but unfortunately simply could not compete with The Beatles - Please Please Me album. Elvis was singing "How Would You Like To Be" and they were blasting out "Twist and Shout".
So you're comparing The Beatles first year on the charts to Elvis in 1962? I wonder how Elvis did his first year on the charts... :shock:

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I sad before, but even the Colonel didn't like this LP. It' the worst LP Elvis released until that date.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Juan Luis wrote:
emjel wrote:A pleasant song that I do like, but from an album that was simply too short and didn't really contain any strong tracks with the single One Broken Heart For Sale being the lowest placed single at Number 12 following a long run of chart toppers - no real surprise as it ran for just over one and half minutes. Elvis' voice on this album was top notch though as was all the recordings in the early 60s. The album was released in the UK in the May 1963, it topped out at Number 4 but unfortunately simply could not compete with The Beatles - Please Please Me album. Elvis was singing "How Would You Like To Be" and they were blasting out "Twist and Shout".
And a soundtrack album that depends on scenes as the song with a kid. But instead of using "Twist And Shout", and making an extreme contrast for effect. "A taste Of Honey" or "Misery" would be a bit more fair, I would think. The slightest song from a soundtrack compared to one of the strongest from an up and coming group? Come on. If I were a teenager of the 1950's and Elvis fan.. I could have compared Elvis going for let's play house and down to business, instead of holding your hand, when the boys in the cute uniforms with the soup bowl haircuts came out! :) One can use contrast to the advantage while not being fair.
Let's try and keep it to the music instead of trying to bring in personal appearances/looks into it then. Soup bowl haircuts. - No. Anyhow, apart from maybe the weakest track "Boys" on the Please Please Me, which was not a weak song in itself, every song was clearly better than those on the Elvis album. That's why it got to number 1, was at Number 1 for 30 weeks and stayed in the charts for 70 weeks. And whatever it was they were doing or singing, this is what the UK teenagers wanted and were getting enthralled over.

~

emjel

Post by emjel »

elvis-fan wrote:
emjel wrote:The album was released in the UK in the May 1963, it topped out at Number 4 but unfortunately simply could not compete with The Beatles - Please Please Me album. Elvis was singing "How Would You Like To Be" and they were blasting out "Twist and Shout".
So you're comparing The Beatles first year on the charts to Elvis in 1962? I wonder how Elvis did his first year on the charts... :shock:
I'm trying to give reasons why Elvis started to lose out with the teenagers at that time.
But if you want the details - Elvis Presley Album Number 1 for 1 week On chart for 16 weeks. Please Please Me Number 1 for 30 weeks - On chart for 70 weeks.

~

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

emjel wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
Let's try and keep it to the music instead of trying to bring in personal appearances/looks into it then. Soup bowl haircuts. - No. Anyhow, apart from maybe the weakest track "Boys" on the Please Please Me, which was not a weak song in itself, every song was clearly better than those on the Elvis album. That's why it got to number 1, was at Number 1 for 30 weeks and stayed in the charts for 70 weeks. And whatever it was they were doing or singing, this is what the UK teenagers wanted and were getting enthralled over.
Well R&B was complaining about suit and tie. I think Robert Palmer looked cool as a rocker with suit and tie and many others. The way you stated it is lets go for the worst song on the soundtrack and lets play the last track of Please Please Me album.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Juan Luis wrote:
emjel wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
Well R&B was complaining about suit and tie. I think Robert Palmer looked cool as a rocker with suit and tie and many others. The way you stated it is lets go for the worst song on the soundtrack and lets play the last track of Please Please Me album.
But that's how the record buying public and the teenagers heard it at the time. Put the Elvis single track One Broken Heart For Sale against The Beatles single Please Please Me then. Put the two album opening tracks - Beyond The Bend against I Saw Her Standing There then. I was around at the time in the UK and I could hear what was happening.
Last edited by emjel on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

~

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

emjel wrote:
But that's how the record buying public and the teenagers heard it at the time. Put the Elvis single track One Broken Heart For Sale against The Beatles single Please Please Me then. I was around at the time in the UK and I could hear what was happening.
Yes. Anyway, it was just the title thread of the enjoyment of a soundtrack ditty regardless of its history and film it came out of. Just the song I liked to spotlight for no other reason than to enjoy and relax, while listening to my favorite artist in arguably his best vocal year. And that goes for the "lesser" gems that didn't revolutionize or better the pop music of the time. But still can provide enjoyment if one is willing to use the side of the brain that requires no analysis. :) And what's wrong with that?