Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"I'll Take Love"

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:22 am

Admittedly, I've never watched Easy Come, Easy Go in full. However, this song has been stuck in my head all day. I think it's a decent movie song, and Elvis doesn't seem to half-ass the song either. The vocal works well with the instrumentation and I just really enjoy it. What do my fellow FECC'ers think?

p.s. -- I hope this thread doesn't cause any arguments or debates. Just sharing a personal pleasure of mine!
Last edited by SteamrollerBlues on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: "I'll Take Love"

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:41 am

You know what ? I don't watch Elvis's films that often, but I watched Easy Come, Easy Go, on Sky a couple of nights ago, and I actually enjoyed it. I know where it stands as a film, poor, but I watched it all and was entertained for an hour or so. Not a film I'd play to a non believer, but still :)

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:06 am

Elvis getting as close to SALSA as he ever would. I like it!

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:13 am

Catchy song, I have it on my iPhone but one I'd never play in the company of others. ;)

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:44 am

Always liked the track.

First heard it on the Camden LP The U.S. Male - a great collection of songs.

https://www.discogs.com/Elvis-The-US-Ma ... se/2048556

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:25 am

I can't complain about that.Sure it can't be compared to a 50's Rocker or a 69-70 Classic but it has entertainment value,as does the film .I don't think I've watched Easy Come Easy Go many times.I think I should refresh my memory.Nice rare track that doesn't get a lot of play topic.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:00 am

goldbelt wrote:Always liked the track.

Yep,..me,too...catchy song but havent heard it for ages.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 am

It nice you like this number. The best I can say about "I'll Take Love" is that it's so bad it's almost good. It's hard to imagine another recording where Elvis' voice sounds so shrill, strained and embarrassed. And those backing vocals ... ay-yi-yi.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:19 am

It only shows that there is really something for everybody in Elvis! :smt020

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It nice you like this number. The best I can say about "I'll Take Love" is that it's so bad it's almost good. It's hard to imagine another recording where Elvis' voice sounds so shrill, strained and embarrassed. And those backing vocals ... ay-yi-yi.

Well one thing for sure Doc,.. it sure does beat the hell out of "Petunia The Gardner's Daughter". :wink:

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 pm

Always liked this song. His voice sounds a bit hoarse, just like on a song like Sing You Children Sing (recorded on the same day), which makes it a bit different. Its catchy and indeed close to Salsa.

::rocks

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:37 pm

To me the best song on the film was You Gotta Stop-a great video sequence by the way when Elvis dance and moves very well in his black suit like he enjoy very well this song and he is rocking again.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:49 pm

ECEG was the first Elvis movie I had not gone to the cinema to see. The downfall in quality had reached its breaking point with me. I waited to see it on TV and Im glad I did. Some films I saw after this one, I had to go alone, as I couldnt get one person to go see an Elvis film with me anymore. Of course I continued to buy the records. I think this was his poorest selling EP and also the last one issued in the US as the format had phased out. About the song, the best I can say is, it not as terrible as other movies songs, but the arrangement & shrill production are hard to take. The scene in the movie is OK as Dodie Marshall is very easy on the eyes. BTW, whatever happened to her after this film?

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:14 pm

The movie is what it is, but it had some good song in it (and some others :oops: ). I've always liked this song, ever since I first heard it as a kid some 32 years ago. It was on the one of the first cassettes I ever owned (C'mon Everybody). It's a fun song and brings back a lot of good memories.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:25 pm

Always liked it. Especially the movie version. A fun song and easy to listen to with a catchy arrangement. I watched the movie recently and have to admit I've enjoyed watching it. Not a good movie but that don't make it non-enjoyable.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:27 pm

My 2 favorite film soundtracks from the dark period are Roustabout and this one. Other than Yoga i enjoy every track and as i have noted Love Machine is among my guiltiest pleasures. Tunes are snappy and Elvis vocals are engaging. I also place this Elvis as a sailor at the top of my Elvis as a sailor list as a fun to watch. But for the record, it is what it is-no pretenses.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:38 pm

fn2drive wrote:My 2 favorite film soundtracks from the dark period are Roustabout and this one. Other than Yoga i enjoy every track and as i have noted Love Machine is among my guiltiest pleasures. Tunes are snappy and Elvis vocals are engaging. I also place this Elvis as a sailor at the top of my Elvis as a sailor list as a fun to watch. But for the record, it is what it is-no pretenses.

Would have to agree. Soundtrack is a bit better than HS, F&J, PHS, DT, and Clambake. It also helps there are only 6 songs. Less chance for clunkers. The movie is as inane as the others however and is one I cannot sit thru anymore.
Last edited by r&b on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:41 pm

My wife and I love this song. We had it played at our wedding. Sure, it's fluffy, but that's the point: it's catchy and fun.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:49 pm

ILL TAKE LOVE made really good on the Charts in ISRAEL in 1967 together with YOU GOTTA STOP , to me those 2 are the best songs from that movie, title song is ok too ;)

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:00 pm

california boy wrote:ILL TAKE LOVE made really good on the Charts in ISRAEL in 1967 together with YOU GOTTA STOP , to me those 2 are the best songs from that movie, title song is ok too ;)

Is that the only country that issued it as a single do you know?

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:45 pm

This song could have been improved with a different arrangement. And a slower tempo. Also better lyrics. Oh, and a better vocal. Other than that, it's top shelf. :lol:

I'll admit though, I have tapped my feet to it more than once.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:05 pm

r&b wrote:
california boy wrote:ILL TAKE LOVE made really good on the Charts in ISRAEL in 1967 together with YOU GOTTA STOP , to me those 2 are the best songs from that movie, title song is ok too ;)

Is that the only country that issued it as a single do you know?

Hi R&B

Actually it was released in Israel as the original USA EP ,its very rare and hard to get , it was also the last EP from Israel ( same as the USA ) , but i do know it was released in the UK as a single
in Israel there were songs on the charts that are taken also from LPs & EPs , not just singles :)

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:29 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
goldbelt wrote:Always liked the track.

Yep,..me,too...catchy song but havent heard it for ages.

Yep here too, always liked it but never knew all those years back where it was from but it was a highlight on the album for me ......

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Musically the song isn't too bad... but I can't get past the horrible lyrics and Elvis' obvious disdain for having to sing and perform it. By 1966-67, Elvis hatred for the formula flicks was coming through on the screen loud and clear.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:02 pm

From Bill Bram's "Frame by Frame" -book:
Memo from Paul Nathan to Hall Wallis, Sept 13 1966:
I played all of our selections for David Winters and John Rich today, and their feeling is that it is a fair score at best...they both thought the finale "I'll Take Love" is excellent."

For what it's worth, this is among the top 60s movie songs for me. Then again, for a movie no-one wanted to make, ECEG is quite enjoyable and among my guilty pleasures. ;)