Paul Dowling Interview on EIN -talks about Bootlegs & more

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

wwelvis
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Re: Paul Dowling Interview on EIN -talks about Bootlegs & mo

Post by wwelvis »

hli wrote:Hi Paul, thanks for all the great work. The interview was a great read.

Just curious about the following question that EIN asked "Did you and Sam get offered any other Elvis material that you never released or slipped through your hands?

In your answer you more or less only refer to material you got offered but actually never obtained. But do you still have some unreleased gems in your own private collection which you like to keep strictly for yourself or that hasn't been released ? Not to accuse you right or wrong for doing that, but as i said just curious?

And do you know the existence of other collectable material wich is tracked down and located but need a truck load of money to get released? Or am i getting to curious now :D
Glad you liked it.

No, I DO NOT have anything in my possession now that is unreleased. And also I haven't been offered anything in many years. Moist of the things I was offered I think I mentioned if not in Part 1 maybe in Part 2 which will be out soon.

And yes the word you use "MONEYY" is what always came up. Everyone thinks they have something that is worth a million or more even back years ago. We did get offered God knows how many soundboards and probably could have bought them at a reasonable but still not cheap price but that was around the time that the FBI were investigating us so really it would make no sense in buying 20 or more "live" unreleased concerts on which Elvis probably did 99.9999% of the same old songs he always did. I really wanted to out the 68 JAM SESSION tape but there was no way we could so we sent it to Gerry and he did a great job. Also, I tried to convince Sam to do an LP just with ALL of the LOVING YOU (slow and fast) takes on it but he didn't think it would sell but, believe it or not, he called me just yesterday and said that one of his regrets was that we didn't do that!! But oh well, we sent the tapes to Gerry Ryff and he did a SUPERB job on it with a super cover (or I think there were two different weren't there??) and it did come out.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

wwelvis wrote:Glad you liked it.

No, I DO NOT have anything in my possession now that is unreleased. And also I haven't been offered anything in many years. Moist of the things I was offered I think I mentioned if not in Part 1 maybe in Part 2 which will be out soon.

And yes the word you use "MONEYY" is what always came up. Everyone thinks they have something that is worth a million or more even back years ago. We did get offered God knows how many soundboards and probably could have bought them at a reasonable but still not cheap price but that was around the time that the FBI were investigating us so really it would make no sense in buying 20 or more "live" unreleased concerts on which Elvis probably did 99.9999% of the same old songs he always did. I really wanted to out the 68 JAM SESSION tape but there was no way we could so we sent it to Gerry and he did a great job. Also, I tried to convince Sam to do an LP just with ALL of the LOVING YOU (slow and fast) takes on it but he didn't think it would sell but, believe it or not, he called me just yesterday and said that one of his regrets was that we didn't do that!! But oh well, we sent the tapes to Gerry Ryff and he did a SUPERB job on it with a super cover (or I think there were two different weren't there??) and it did come out.
I've said it before, if it wasn't for you guys in this period (1978-1984), every serious Elvis fan would have been on life support, because RCA was releasing nothing of interest whatsoever, save the silver box, Elvis Aron Presley, in 1980.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

wwelvis

Post by wwelvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
wwelvis wrote:Glad you liked it.

I've said it before, if it wasn't for you guys in this period (1978-1984), every serious Elvis fan would have been on life support, because RCA was releasing nothing of interest whatsoever, save the silver box, Elvis Aron Presley, in 1980.
Thanks a lot Doc. We did what we could and had a lot of fun while doing it! Just too bad that some things that were offered to us later couldn't have been purchased for one reason or the other and we should have bought more 15 ips reel tapes from RADIO RECORDERS when we had the chance to but I'm guessing most of that has been released by Ernst since.

drjohncarpenter

wwelvis wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I've said it before, if it wasn't for you guys in this period (1978-1984), every serious Elvis fan would have been on life support, because RCA was releasing nothing of interest whatsoever, save the silver box, Elvis Aron Presley, in 1980.
Thanks a lot Doc. We did what we could and had a lot of fun while doing it! Just too bad that some things that were offered to us later couldn't have been purchased for one reason or the other and we should have bought more 15 ips reel tapes from RADIO RECORDERS when we had the chance to but I'm guessing most of that has been released by Ernst since.
The 1960 GGQ jam is a tape I wish every fan could have had a chance to hear.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

wwelvis

Post by wwelvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
wwelvis wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I've said it before, if it wasn't for you guys in this period (1978-1984), every serious Elvis fan would have been on life support, because RCA was releasing nothing of interest whatsoever, save the silver box, Elvis Aron Presley, in 1980.
Me too. Of course I just heard the two songs on the phone and they sounded good. Not perfect but much better than a cassette "live" recording. I loved Rick and am very thankful I got to spend weeks being with him when he moved to Baltimore (the Mount Washington area which was very nice). He was the first person who told me about a 10" LP by the GGQ and played it for me on the phone. The LP was GOLDEN GATE SPIRITUALS (Columbia ‎ CL 6102) issued in 1950:
- Joshua Fit De Battle Of Jericho
- Swing Down, Chariot
- God's Gonna Cut You Down
- Jezebel
- Blind Barnabus
- Wade In The Water
- I Will Be Home Again

To be honest with you I had never heard of them before but Rick was into harmony groups from that era. But get this! While he loved Elvis he wasn't exactly an Elvis music expert so when he played it for me I was shocked first of all that it contained FOUR songs that Elvis later recorded years later and it was a shock to Rick also when I brought this up to him he was very intrigued and this led him to get in touch with one or two guys from the quartet and one of them had that tape I mentioned and gave Rick a copy. By the way "God's Gonna Cut You Down"is really the song "RUN ON" from Elvis' HOW GREAT THOU ART LP!

Click on the YOU TUBE link to hear "God's Gonna Cut You Down".

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

wwelvis wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
wwelvis wrote:
Me too. Of course I just heard the two songs on the phone and they sounded good. Not perfect but much better than a cassette "live" recording. I loved Rick and am very thankful I got to spend weeks being with him when he moved to Baltimore (the Mount Washington area which was very nice). He was the first person who told me about a 10" LP by the GGQ and played it for me on the phone. The LP was GOLDEN GATE SPIRITUALS (Columbia ‎ CL 6102) issued in 1950:
- Joshua Fit De Battle Of Jericho
- Swing Down, Chariot
- God's Gonna Cut You Down
- Jezebel
- Blind Barnabus
- Wade In The Water
- I Will Be Home Again

To be honest with you I had never heard of them before but Rick was into harmony groups from that era. But get this! While he loved Elvis he wasn't exactly an Elvis music expert so when he played it for me I was shocked first of all that it contained FOUR songs that Elvis later recorded years later and it was a shock to Rick also when I brought this up to him he was very intrigued and this led him to get in touch with one or two guys from the quartet and one of them had that tape I mentioned and gave Rick a copy. By the way "God's Gonna Cut You Down"is really the song "RUN ON" from Elvis' HOW GREAT THOU ART LP!

Click on the YOU TUBE link to hear "God's Gonna Cut You Down".

Lovely information, and to be honest this tape would be among the more valuable to recover, since it's Elvis with one of his favorite "jubilee" gospel quartets, a huge inspiration. His voice was sheer perfection in January 1960, so to call this recording heavenly would not be hyperbole. Maybe someday.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

misterB
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by misterB »

As the recordings from memphis shows of 61..., or the binaural or stereo sessions of king creole..

ale
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by ale »

Hey paul, thanks for your help on making the argentinean LP ELVIS LA PELVIS....what a great compilation!...It was my first Elvis record and I became a fan inmediatly 8)

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by colonel snow »

Reading this great interview I have a few comments:

The 4 Hayride transcription discs may be released over the years (the 5 march 1955 concert on a Aboy from Tupelo may be one of these transcription discs).

Radio Recorders made acetates for LOC 1035 from the masters and alternate masters; no outtakes.

Radio Recorders made acetates for Roustabout from the masters and alternate masters; no outtakes.

RCA made reference recordings for Kissin' cousins; some unedited versions for Catchin' on fast / Barefoot ballad # 1 and Barefoot ballad # 2 may be included.

What everyone want to hear is:
Such a night - doowop rehearsel versions;
Don't be cruel - Paralyzed - How's the world treating you - First in line - Too much: alternate takes

colonel snow

Rockin_John
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Rockin_John »

wwelvis wrote:... Rick also when I brought this up to him he was very intrigued and this led him to get in touch with one or two guys from the quartet and one of them had that tape I mentioned and gave Rick a copy.
Does Ernst know this? It should be fairly easy to get in touch with someone to find the tape...?

Keep on Rockin'

drjohncarpenter

Rockin_John wrote:
wwelvis wrote:... Rick also when I brought this up to him he was very intrigued and this led him to get in touch with one or two guys from the quartet and one of them had that tape I mentioned and gave Rick a copy.
Does Ernst know this? It should be fairly easy to get in touch with someone to find the tape...?
He does, but it's not easy at all.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

wwelvis wrote:
wwelvis wrote:Good questions!!

I keep all the records I sell here at my condo (around 10,000!!) but I keep my collection in an air conditioned storage place as there's no room at all here in my condo for it all.

As far as working out I've been lifting weights since 1970. Also got into karate in 1976 and still do things like that but I included boxing 9 years ago. I lift weights 5 times a week and box 3 times a week. And still manage to work selling Elvis 6-8 hours a day.

That pic of me on the beach is from last August on our honeymoon in beautiful Cape May, NJ.

Hey ...

Happy First Anniversary, Sharlene and Paul!

Looks like to need to get her a gift of paper, if you follow tradition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_anniversary#Traditional_and_modern_anniversary_gifts

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Sodman
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Sodman »

wwelvis wrote:
TJ wrote:
wwelvis wrote:I knew of course that, when I did the interview for Piers, that there would be Doubting Thomas' like you who would write the crazy things you did so I expected that drivel. And my first inclination was to blast all of your absurd comments one by one but then I decided why should I take my time to do this. What good would it do as your commnets simply said it all like you talking about "a guy who ran an Elvis - magazine many years ago" which was totally untrue as YOU got the facts all wrong! But at least you did admit that Elvis did sing with the GGQ although the rest of your theory is hog wash.
Paul, none of those comments were Tommy's. Someone asked about Ernst having reservations and Tommy pasted in Ernst's words from the Arjan Deelen interview. If the text contained errors, they were Ernst's errors.
Oh, many thanks for telling me this. God, I hadn't read that interview since it came out.

I just sent this to Tom but I want to post it so everyone can see what I PM'd to him:

"Tom

I apologize to you for the comments I made thinking they came from you. I was extremely busy here today and someone told me about it and I simply went there and didn't read the entire post and honestly I had forgotten about that interview from 15 years ago. I believe Ernst and I discussed all of this back then and settled everything!!

Again I am sorry I jumped on this thinking it was from you. Please accept my sincere apology and I will post this on the board so everyone can see it."

Please if you can tell us something about the discussion/settlement with Ernst? Did he look in the wrong places or where did all of these people you said you met disappear?? We all of course hope there are some unreleased material out there.

No matter how far down the wrong road you've gone, TURN BACK!

wwelvis

Post by wwelvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
wwelvis wrote:
wwelvis wrote:Good questions!!

I keep all the records I sell here at my condo (around 10,000!!) but I keep my collection in an air conditioned storage place as there's no room at all here in my condo for it all.

As far as working out I've been lifting weights since 1970. Also got into karate in 1976 and still do things like that but I included boxing 9 years ago. I lift weights 5 times a week and box 3 times a week. And still manage to work selling Elvis 6-8 hours a day.

That pic of me on the beach is from last August on our honeymoon in beautiful Cape May, NJ.

Just saw this Doc. Thanks a lot!!

Hey ...

Happy First Anniversary, Sharlene and Paul!

Looks like to need to get her a gift of paper, if you follow tradition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_anniversary#Traditional_and_modern_anniversary_gifts

G.I. Blues
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by G.I. Blues »

Where is part three?

Daddy has left the Wohnzimmer!
Thank You and Good Night!

wwelvis

Post by wwelvis »

Piers says next week sometime although it up to him.

G.I. Blues

Post by G.I. Blues »

wwelvis wrote:Piers says next week sometime although it up to him.
I'm seriously looking forward to part three of the interview. I always enjoy your's and Sam's stories from days gone by. Sam's script is one hell of a read!

wwelvis

Post by wwelvis »

Yes his book is really great. Hope it comes out someday!

G.I. Blues

Post by G.I. Blues »

wwelvis

Post by wwelvis »

G.I. Blues wrote:
wwelvis wrote:Piers says next week sometime although it up to him.
I'm seriously looking forward to part three of the interview. I always enjoy your's and Sam's stories from days gone by. Sam's script is one hell of a read!
Piers is talking about doing Part 3 soon. I am currently working on adding more interesting material for it. Glad everyone liked Parts 1 & 2