More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
CONFEDERATELVIS
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

JLL AT THE GATES- WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED

Post by CONFEDERATELVIS »

HI
When JLL turned up drunk at Graceland's Gates in 76 - What actually happened?
Did JLL shoot someone cos the first police off icer on the scene said he took his gun off him - Is that right?

APOLOGISES IF THIS HAS BEEN TALKED ABOUT BEFORE

Thankyou

You're a doctor too so your three doctors - Basil Fawlty

elvis-fan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: JLL AT THE GATES- WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED

Post by elvis-fan »

Here's Jerry's version of the story... again it's Jerry's version...

Topic author
CONFEDERATELVIS

I've seen this thanks but as you say it's JERRY'S VERSION

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

According to Billy Smith, this happened in November, 1976. Here's what Billy, Marty & Lamar had to say in RFTMM (pp. 685-686):

BILLY SMITH: "Harold called up at the house, and I answered the phone. He said Jerry Lee was down there just drunk out of his mind, waving a .38-caliber derringer around. He was demanding to see Elvis.

I went upstairs and told Elvis, "Jerry Lee's down there. He's been drinking, and he's got a gun. And he's saying you called and wanted to see him." Which I knew wasn't true. Elvis didn't want to be around Lerry Lee because of his attitude. He didn't think he knew how to treat his fans or other people. Elvis would always say, "If Jerry Lee would just play the piano and keep his mouth shut, he'd be a hell of a lot better off."

I said, "Elvis, there's a lot of other people down at the gate, too. Harold wants to know what do to. Elvis said, "Tell Harold to either have that drunk son of a bitch locked up, or I'm going down and beat the hell out of him." So, Harold called the cops and had Jerry Lee arrested."

MARTY LACKER: Elvis had gnawed on Jerry Lee's nerves for years. He was just so jealous of what Elvis had accomplished. Because Jerry Lee thought he was more talented than Elvis. And, him, even though he sometimes talks nicely about Elvis.

A couple of years ago (1993), Jerry Lee was on The Arsenio Hall show, and Arsenio brought that incident up. Jerry Lee looked straight in the camera and said, "It's a bald-faced lie. It never happened. It's just a rumor someone started spreading. I never did that." All anybody had to do was call the Memphis Police Department and find out that he did.

LAMAR FIKE: Elvis buzzed me in the kitchen and said, "Come up here. I want to show you something." I went up there and sat down beside the bed, and we watched Jerry Lee on the monitors. We'd take that camera and dolly it in on him. Harold must have told him what Elvis said because Jerry Lee got mad, got back in his car, and butted the gate. Elvis said, "That son of a bitch is trying to tear the gate down! He's lost his mind!!" Jerry Lee is a real dog. Always has been.

NOTE: The cameras that Elvis had set up in his bedroom were security monitors, basically, so that he could see what was going on outside the house. He had them installed in the 1970s, I believe.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Topic author
CONFEDERATELVIS

did Jerry Lee fire the gun?

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

CONFEDERATELVIS wrote:did Jerry Lee fire the gun?
I don't believe so. They probably just arrested him for being drunk and disorderly.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Topic author
CONFEDERATELVIS

Exactly Tony I can't find anyone who says he discharged the weapon - but to update my files I wanted to be sure

archdeak

Post by archdeak »

Jerry Lee I love your music BUT the video shows you are lying. The whole lack of eye contact with the interviewer gives it all away. He cannot look him directly in the face for long.
Too much drink released his jealous side.........................when there was no need for it, Jerry is very talented........................but, his ego lets him down.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

CONFEDERATELVIS wrote:HI
Did JLL shoot someone cos the first police off icer on the scene said he took his gun off him - Is that right?

Thankyou
There was no gunplay, just gun-waving.

Jerry Lee Lewis drove up to the Graceland gates on 11-23-1976 (Tue) inebriated, waving around a :38-caliber derringer, and demanding to see Elvis. The gatekeeper, Robert Loyd, was advised by someone up at the house to call the police, which he did. Allegedly, Elvis called Robert during the commotion and said "Hell no, I don't wanna talk to him. I'll come down there and kill him!" The arrest naturally made the papers.

761124_Memphis Press-Scimitar_Lewis.JPG
Memphis Press-Scimitar, Wednesday, November 24, 1976

The news report is slightly misleading. There were two visits to the gates. Lewis actually first came to the house the night before 11-22-1976 (Mon). He was sober, but Elvis unavailable. The following evening he returned, angry and wasted, possibly hellbent on saving Presley from himself. It was a valiant, if vain, effort. In any case, Jerry did not look happy being booked at MPD.

761123_Memphis Police_Lewis mug shot.JPG
Jerry Lee Lewis, Memphis Police Department - Tuesday, November 23, 1976

Presley began a tour in Reno, NV on 11-24-1976 (Wed), and very likely did not visit Lewis after he was released by police. A little over nine months later, Elvis was gone forever. And that's the way it was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
CONFEDERATELVIS

THANKS DOC APPRECIATE IT

JosephC
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by JosephC »

Serious question...why wouldn't Elvis invite him up? I mean if Elvis was there (is this definitive?), Jerry's car was idling at the gate...why not? At the very least Elvis could have showed him the makeshift studio in the den (Jungle Room).

JosephC

drjohncarpenter

JosephC wrote:Serious question...why wouldn't Elvis invite him up? I mean if Elvis was there (is this definitive?), Jerry's car was idling at the gate...why not? At the very least Elvis could have showed him the makeshift studio in the den (Jungle Room).

JosephC
Elvis was not enamored of Jerry, whose behavior could be coarse at the drop of a hat. Plus, he was readying himself for an upcoming tour, including trying to figure out how to break up with Linda Thompson. So he was busy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JosephC
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by JosephC »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JosephC wrote:Serious question...why wouldn't Elvis invite him up? I mean if Elvis was there (is this definitive?), Jerry's car was idling at the gate...why not? At the very least Elvis could have showed him the makeshift studio in the den (Jungle Room).

JosephC
Elvis was not enamored of Jerry, whose behavior could be coarse at the drop of a hat. Plus, he was readying himself for an upcoming tour, including trying to figure out how to break up with Linda Thompson. So he was busy.
Thanks Doc...all valid reasons for sure. I guess timing is everything. What a sad time in Elvis' life, it's depressing just thinking about it.

JosephC

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Jerry is alive today, close to be 80 years old in September and Elvis died at 42. Jerry was a heavy drinker but he survived.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

JosephC
Ginger Alden in her book has her story of the event. She was with Elvis in his bedroom at that time of the first visit when Elvis refused to see him, and told Robert Lloyd (at the gate) to tell Jerry Lee that he wasn't available. Elvis told her that he was a great piano player and performer, but that he was crazy. She wasn't with him at Graceland when he came the second time and got arrested.

Mister Mike
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Mister Mike »

Juan Luis wrote: Elvis told her that he was a great piano player and performer, but that he was crazy.
Yeah, that pretty much sums up Jerry Lee...

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

Andrew Hearn will soon be publishing his recent interview (conducted this week) with Sheriff Bill Oldham, of the Shelby County Sherriff's Department. Mr. Oldham was on the scene that night.

Irony = JLL as Last Man Standing.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thankyou

Jerry Lee Lewis drove up to the Graceland gates on 11-23-1976 (Tue) inebriated, waving around a :38-caliber derringer, and demanding to see Elvis. The gatekeeper, Robert Loyd, was advised by someone up at the house to call the police, which he did. Allegedly, Elvis called Robert during the commotion and said "Hell no, I don't wanna talk to him. I'll come down there and kill him!" The arrest naturally made the papers.

The news report is slightly misleading. There were two visits to the gates. Lewis actually first came to the house the night before 11-22-1976 (Mon). He was sober, but Elvis unavailable. The following evening he returned, angry and wasted, possibly hellbent on saving Presley from himself. It was a valiant, if vain, effort. In any case, Jerry did not look happy being booked at MPD.

Presley began a tour in Reno, NV on 11-24-1976 (Wed), and very likely did not visit Lewis after he was released by police. A little over nine months later, Elvis was gone forever. And that's the way it was.

You always like to try to "show someone up", don't you? I replied with almost the same answer yet - as usual - mine was overlooked. I guess I'm not too important around here.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Tony Trout wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thankyou

You always like to try to "show someone up", don't you? I replied with almost the same answer yet - as usual - mine was overlooked. I guess I'm not too important around here.
Don't go beating yourself up. I enjoy your posts.

drjohncarpenter

Tony Trout wrote:You always like to try to "show someone up", don't you? I replied with almost the same answer yet - as usual - mine was overlooked. I guess I'm not too important around here.
Not quite sure what's up with you. All I did was reply to the OP with the information I had available. I've been sharing like this for years, it's something I enjoy doing with all good members of this forum. And I don't see a whole lot of crossover between our replies, so most will see them as complementary, not competing. Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.