Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Any love for "Kismet"?

Thu May 19, 2016 10:43 pm

A Tepper-Bennett tune for the (in my opinion), underrated "Harum Scarum" soundtrack. Recorded at Nashville's RCA Studio B on February 26, 1965. At the moment, my favorite ballad of the 60's soundtracks with exception of the no need mentioned classic! I love take 2 as well. The master is take 5, being the only other completed and final take. It's beautiful! If you like it. Give your thoughts. If you don't. Do so if you feel the need... Enjoy Elvis' wonderful singing!

Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu May 19, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Any love for "KISMET"?

Thu May 19, 2016 10:47 pm

Juan Luis wrote:A Tepper-Bennett tune for the in my opinion, underrated "Harum Scarum" soundtrack. Recorded at Nashville's RCA Studio B on February 26, 1965. At the moment, my favorite ballad of the 60's soundtracks with exception of the no need mentioned classic! I love take 2 as well. The master is take 5, being the only other completed and final take. It's beautiful! If you like it. Give your thoughts. If you don't. Do so if you feel the need... Enjoy!

It's a wretched movie soundtrack song from one of Presley's most unremarkable songwriting teams. The 1965 soundtrack sessions were uniformly dire, save maybe a song or two, and it would get worse before it got better. Oh, the pain. Of the hundreds of Presley songs I can call to mind in a nanosecond, "Kismet" is not one of them. Had Presley never recorded this tune, almost no one on the planet would miss it. But, hey, maybe I'm in the minority on this one.

Thu May 19, 2016 10:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:A Tepper-Bennett tune for the in my opinion, underrated "Harum Scarum" soundtrack. Recorded at Nashville's RCA Studio B on February 26, 1965. At the moment, my favorite ballad of the 60's soundtracks with exception of the no need mentioned classic! I love take 2 as well. The master is take 5, being the only other completed and final take. It's beautiful! If you like it. Give your thoughts. If you don't. Do so if you feel the need... Enjoy!

It's a wretched movie soundtrack song from one of Presley's most unremarkable songwriting teams. The 1965 soundtrack sessions were uniformly dire, save maybe a song or two, and it would get worse before it got better. Oh, the pain. Of the hundreds of Presley songs I can call to mind in a nanosecond, "Kismet" is not one of them. Had Presley never recorded this tune, almost no one on the planet would miss it. But, hey, maybe I'm in the minority on this one.
Of course it is not a known tune. That's the point. I love to find nuggets such as "Kismet". All I know I've been humming along to this tune lately and decided to share. I might be alone. And that's ok too.

Re: Any love for "Kismet"?

Thu May 19, 2016 10:52 pm

I always liked kismet ever since i first saw harum scarum. I always thought it was sung quite beautiful. Definetly a song i'd never skip.

Thu May 19, 2016 10:58 pm

I love it and i don't care what anyone else thinks. :D

Thu May 19, 2016 11:02 pm

I like "So Close, Yet So Far From Paradise" and "Wisdom of the Ages." The rest of this soundtrack, not too much.

I have the feeling that Elvis must have had a brief moment of excitement at the thought of doing a Lawrence of Arabia type of film, then colossal disappointment upon reading the script. Still, I think he relished in the wardrobe for this movie.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:04 pm

I like it too ! :)

Thu May 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Juan Luis wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's a wretched movie soundtrack song from one of Presley's most unremarkable songwriting teams. The 1965 soundtrack sessions were uniformly dire, save maybe a song or two, and it would get worse before it got better. Oh, the pain. Of the hundreds of Presley songs I can call to mind in a nanosecond, "Kismet" is not one of them. Had Presley never recorded this tune, almost no one on the planet would miss it. But, hey, maybe I'm in the minority on this one.

Of course it is not a known tune. That's the point. I love to find nuggets such as "Kismet". All I know I've been humming along to this tune lately and decided to share. I might be alone. And that's ok too.

My point is the song is deservedly unknown.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:14 pm

It stuck out enough that Bob Dylan mis-remembered "Kismet" as the supposed title of the album on which the cover of "Tomorrow is A Long Time" supposedly appeared - of course that was Spinout. So apparently it was more memorable than anything actually from Spinout, although that's not saying much haha!

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/audi ... -the-most/

Thu May 19, 2016 11:16 pm

Kismet is quite feeble, in my opinion. It's not one I'm fond of, Juan. There is, however, some nice musical flourishes and a cha-cha-cha rhythm that bouys Elvis’s vocal, which lacks the kind of charm and sincerity that came easily just a few years prior. But with such insipid lyrics, it's easy to appreciate how disenchanted and dispassionate he may have been.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:16 pm

GibbersGanfa wrote:It stuck out enough that Bob Dylan mis-remembered "Kismet" as the supposed title of the album on which the cover of "Tomorrow is A Long Time" supposedly appeared - of course that was Spinout. So apparently it was more memorable than anything actually from Spinout, although that's not saying much haha!

KOOL find! Thank you.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:23 pm

GibbersGanfa wrote:It stuck out enough that Bob Dylan mis-remembered "Kismet" as the supposed title of the album on which the cover of "Tomorrow is A Long Time" supposedly appeared - of course that was Spinout. So apparently it was more memorable than anything actually from Spinout, although that's not saying much haha!

Bob Dylan could have been easily referencing the soundtrack to a very successful Broadway musical and subsequent Hollywood adaptation called "Kismet." In fact, I would imagine this was his point of reference with that flip answer. He was not at all "misremembering" the LP title, he simply did not know or did not care about either soundtrack release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kismet_(musical)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kismet_(1955_film)
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu May 19, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:25 pm

Any love for "Kismet"?

NO!

;)

Thu May 19, 2016 11:29 pm

All I know I've been humming along to this tune (..)

I have the same when I hear it :D . The song just ease along. That's why I give it a YES.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:32 pm

I've always liked "Kismet", there are more tracks on the LP I like as opposed to the few I dislike.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Bob Dylan could have been easily referencing the soundtrack to a very successful Broadway musical and subsequent Hollywood adaptation called "Kismet." In fact, I would imagine this was his point of reference with that flip answer. He was not at all "misremembering" the LP title, he simply did not know or did not care about either soundtrack release.

Yes, I'm sure that Bob Dylan, in answer to an interview question specifically about an Elvis album, was citing a completely irrelevant and off-topic Broadway musical and then-decade-and-a-half-old film adaptation, as opposed to an actual Elvis song on an actual Elvis album released less than a year earlier from the actual album on which the cover of "Tomorrow is a Long Time" appeared. There's no way he was possibly confused between two Elvis movie soundtracks; he surely must have been talking about the musical which has absolutely nothing to do with his music or Elvis'. Your entire hypothesis relies on Bob Dylan being a total tool who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Wenner: Are there any particular artists that you like to see do your songs?
Dylan: Yeah, Elvis Presley. I liked Elvis Presley. Elvis Presley recording a song of mine. That’s the one recording I treasure the most… it was called “Tomorrow Is A Long Time.” I wrote it but never recorded it.
Wenner: Which album is that on?
Dylan: Kismet.
Wenner: I’m not familiar with it at all.

Doc, your posts tend to remind me of cattle horns - a point here, a point there, and a lot of bull in between.

Fri May 20, 2016 12:04 am

Sadly the only saving grace on the Harum Scarum soundtrack is So Close Yet So Far - and, even then, the take first issued on Collector's Gold usurps the master. Kismet, sadly, is as memorable as most elevator music. Most of Tepper and Bennett's work for Elvis, with a few exceptions, was hack work - predictable, derivative, and unmemorable. It's a great shame, as the composers were much better than their Elvis work suggests, and they certainly had the ability to write hit material as Red Roses For a Blue Lady, The Young Ones, and Travellin' Light demonstrate.

Fri May 20, 2016 12:05 am

Yes. It's beautiful.

I recently listened to the extended On Stage CD (not the FTD, but the 1990s one). I didn't really enjoy it (too much shouting, not enough singing). I did the same with Elvis Now and found it largely unmemorable. Given the choice of the three (including Harum Scarum) to take to a desert island, I'd plump for HS every time.

I've commented many times on here that his singing on the HS soundtrack is perfect for the Eastern feel of the songs. I like the dry recording, too. I sense a commitment to the 'project' and Elvis must have wondered why he had bothered, when it came to the filming.

I'm happy for anyone to comment on my assessment . . . but I will not appreciate the sarcasm I have come to expect from a certain quarter.

Fri May 20, 2016 12:14 am

GibbersGanfa wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Bob Dylan could have been easily referencing the soundtrack to a very successful Broadway musical and subsequent Hollywood adaptation called "Kismet." In fact, I would imagine this was his point of reference with that flip answer. He was not at all "misremembering" the LP title, he simply did not know or did not care about either soundtrack release.

Yes, I'm sure that Bob Dylan, in answer to an interview question specifically about an Elvis album, was citing a completely irrelevant and off-topic Broadway musical and then-decade-and-a-half-old film adaptation, as opposed to an actual Elvis song on an actual Elvis album released less than a year earlier from the actual album on which the cover of "Tomorrow is a Long Time" appeared.

Yes, in the 1965-1966 period of Bob Dylan's career, all evidence points to him being a voracious collector and fan of Elvis Presley's recent soundtrack LPs. The evidence also indicates that he was never flip in the many interviews he consented to at this time.

It's also worth noting that Dylan was a very well-read young man. The word kismet also means destiny, or fate. So the songwriter could have been implying to Rolling Stone that Elvis cutting the song was exactly that. This explanation, or even the one you make fun of, are far more plausible.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kismet+def
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri May 20, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 20, 2016 12:16 am

Steve Morse wrote:Yes. It's beautiful.

I recently listened to the extended On Stage CD (not the FTD, but the 1990s one). I didn't really enjoy it (too much shouting, not enough singing). I did the same with Elvis Now and found it largely unmemorable. Given the choice of the three (including Harum Scarum) to take to a desert island, I'd plump for HS every time.

I've commented many times on here that his singing on the HS soundtrack is perfect for the Eastern feel of the songs. I like the dry recording, too. I sense a commitment to the 'project' and Elvis must have wondered why he had bothered, when it came to the filming.

I'm happy for anyone to comment on my assessment . . . but I will not appreciate the sarcasm I have come to expect from a certain quarter.

Even if the songs were just as mediocre, the fact that it was at least thematically coherent to me put it a notch above. That Eastern influence you stated, even if it is stereotypical, is at least more interesting than the completely secular stuff on soundtracks like Double Trouble and Spinout that did nothing to distinguish itself.

Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 am

My copy of that 1999 CD features nothing but singing. Maybe you got a defective copy.

Fri May 20, 2016 12:26 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Love it!. Kismet, So Close,Yet So Far & Wisdom Of the Ages are my favourite ones on the "Harum Scarum" soundtrack :smt020.

The complete recording session for Kismet, in great sound quality, was included in the great Venus cd release of "Elvis Sings Hard Knocks" 8). Bye for now :smt006.

P.S: VENUS is already working on a follow up Vol 2 of movie outtakes! :wink:.

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... 25.html#04

Fri May 20, 2016 12:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

My copy of that 1999 CD features nothing but singing. Maybe you got a defective copy.

Maybe he doesn't know this is a thing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_projection

Not that there's anything wrong with his subjective opinion of the content. Enough room here for all.

Fri May 20, 2016 1:03 am

Juan Luis wrote:A Tepper-Bennett tune for the (in my opinion), underrated "Harum Scarum" soundtrack. Recorded at Nashville's RCA Studio B on February 26, 1965. At the moment, my favorite ballad of the 60's soundtracks with exception of the no need mentioned classic! I love take 2 as well. The master is take 5, being the only other completed and final take. It's beautiful! If you like it. Give your thoughts. If you don't. Do so if you feel the need... Enjoy Elvis' wonderful singing!

I like it.Strangely, I also like the song Mirage

Fri May 20, 2016 1:24 am

Good to see so many Kismetologists on board. Thumbs up from me!