Suggestions for essential FTD CDs

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Re: Suggestions for essential FTD CDs

Post by midnightx »

Ken Jensen wrote: Midnightx, I need to compare the two versions of the Memphis show. I don't remember that mix as atrocious.
I found it quite jarring and noticed it immediately. A real disappointment because I always held the Memphis show in high regard. The March 1974 tour was the last time Elvis' voice sounded that good, and it really loses its vibrancy on the Legacy Edition.

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

midnightx wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote: Midnightx, I need to compare the two versions of the Memphis show. I don't remember that mix as atrocious.
I found it quite jarring and noticed it immediately. A real disappointment because I always held the Memphis show in high regard. The March 1974 tour was the last time Elvis' voice sounded that good, and it really loses its vibrancy on the Legacy Edition.
I see. Both the FTD (lack of punch) and the Legacy Edition (too much clarity) are presented in a mix that leaves a lot to be desired. For instance, the scarf comment during "How Great Thou Art" is disturbing on the Legacy Edition. They should have mixed that particular tidbit down.

goldbelt
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by goldbelt »

The Audionics release of the Memphis show on Fifth Time Around sounds pretty good, (and is complete if I'm not mistaken).

What scarf comment do you mean, Ken?

Topic author
dolemite
Registered for: 8 years

Post by dolemite »

drjohncarpenter wrote:One imagines any suggestion that pre-dates 1970 is going to fall on deaf eyes. The OP is quite clear on "classic album" preferences.
Not necessarily. I am open to any and all suggestions. I appreciate everyones comments. Looks like I'll have a tough time picking a couple out. I'll let you all know which ones I chose. Thanks again.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

dolemite wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:One imagines any suggestion that pre-dates 1970 is going to fall on deaf eyes. The OP is quite clear on "classic album" preferences.
Not necessarily. I am open to any and all suggestions. I appreciate everyones comments. Looks like I'll have a tough time picking a couple out. I'll let you all know which ones I chose. Thanks again.
You sure fooled me. Your FTD collection is heavy on 1970s Elvis. Given your update, I strongly suggest picking up each major album release that has appeared as an FTD "classic album." Here are the first essential ten in chronological order, all stunners:

Elvis Presley
Elvis
Loving You
Jailhouse Rock
Jailhouse Rock, Volume 2
Elvis' Christmas Album
Elvis' Golden Records
King Creole
50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong: Elvis' Gold Records, Volume 2
Elvis Is Back!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Deleted User 1099

goldbelt wrote:The Audionics release of the Memphis show on Fifth Time Around sounds pretty good, (and is complete if I'm not mistaken).

At the beginning of the song, right after the musicians start playing, Elvis says, "Give me a scarf." That is mixed down on the original release and probably also on the FTD, but we hear it clearly on the Legacy Edition. I haven't had the chance to check yet, but I will soon.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Ken Jensen wrote:
goldbelt wrote:The Audionics release of the Memphis show on Fifth Time Around sounds pretty good, (and is complete if I'm not mistaken).

At the beginning of the song, right after the musicians start playing, Elvis says, "Give me a scarf." That is mixed down on the original release and probably also on the FTD, but we hear it clearly on the Legacy Edition. I haven't had the chance to check yet, but I will soon.
And frankly, some of Elvis' dialogue is inessential. His vocal work should be the focus, and the Legacy Edition mixes it down and brings up the instrumentation and backing vocalists.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

midnightx wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:

And frankly, some of Elvis' dialogue is inessential. His vocal work should be the focus, and the Legacy Edition mixes it down and brings up the instrumentation and backing vocalists.
I don't mind the Legacy Edition but I do find it a bit dry and Elvis' vocals almost lost in some places... the Richmond show is a polar opposite with the reverb-drenched soundboard... uck!!
My goto is still the FTD for lack of anything better...

Topic author
dolemite

Post by dolemite »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting Elvis is Back, From Elvis in Memphis and Hot August Night, which I decided to get since I saw it is now deleted. Thanks again.

r&b

Post by r&b »

dolemite wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting Elvis is Back, From Elvis in Memphis and Hot August Night, which I decided to get since I saw it is now deleted. Thanks again.
Cant go wrong with those (thanks for listening lol)

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

Hot August Night is one hell of a show !!!

Good job !

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Squire Smart
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Squire Smart »

dolemite wrote:and Hot August Night, which I decided to get since I saw it is now deleted
Where did you find that then?

Squire Smart

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Hot August night is actually being repressed.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Squire Smart
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Squire Smart »

Johnny2523 wrote:Hot August night is actually being repressed.
Hooray! :P

Squire Smart

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Squire Smart wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Hot August night is actually being repressed.
Hooray! :P
these are the 9 FTD's that are being repressed.. I Saw it on elvismatters & Elvis Info Net (EIN)

Topic author
dolemite

Post by dolemite »

Squire Smart wrote:
dolemite wrote:and Hot August Night, which I decided to get since I saw it is now deleted
I bought them at the music shop at Graceland

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

dolemite wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting Elvis is Back, From Elvis in Memphis and Hot August Night, which I decided to get since I saw it is now deleted. Thanks again.
Those are really great choices. Congratulations.

Good to hear that they had "Elvis Is Back". That one seems to be hard to obtain for some reason.

ImageImageImage

drjohncarpenter

Three-for-three, my man. You will LOVE these releases. LOVE them!

Elvis in the studio in March-April 1960 and January-February 1969 cannot be topped. And his live 1969 performances are the finest of his later career, bar none.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Deleted User 1099

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Elvis in the studio in March-April 1960 and January-February 1969 cannot be topped. And his live 1969 performances are the finest of his later career, bar none.
Clearly, you have not listened to the 1965 soundtrack sessions or any quality soundboards from 1976.

Hobbes
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Hobbes »

Hot August Night is my favorite of the 1969 multitracks that we've heard so far. He's in a fantastic mood, the music rocks, and the celebrity introductions are a real treat, particularly when he introduces "Mr. Thomas Jones."

Deleted User 1099

Squire Smart wrote:
You are not familiar with the terminology, I see. "Deleted" means "deleted from the FTD catalog". Dealers may still have copies in stock, but they cannot order more from FTD since the title is sold out. The concept is simple and shouldn't be too hard to understand.

drjohncarpenter

Ken Jensen wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Clearly, you have not listened to the 1965 soundtrack sessions or any quality soundboards from 1976.
Oh, but I have. All of them. Merits? Almost none.

Do you want me to clearly elaborate? ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

'

How many outtakes of Golden Coins are there to behold?

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

'

unreleased in any form:
4 complete takes
5 false starts

drjohncarpenter

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:Clearly, you have not listened to the 1965 soundtrack sessions or any quality soundboards from 1976.

'

Heh. The Harum Scarum FTD only gave us two full outtakes from that killer Nashville session.

I live for the day FTD releases a Volume Two. :D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.