Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 9:47 am

phpBB [media]


This song has always been one of my favorites.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 6:35 pm

That's one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE BIG E SONGS !!

Re: Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Nicely done.

The Great Performances Vol. 2 DVD has better picture quality, though.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 9:17 pm

One of 2 favorite ballads from the King.
In fact, I can't make my mind between FAME AND FORTUNE and LOVE ME.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 9:24 pm

The song is good, the FTD titled release is one of the best.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 9:25 pm

"Fame and Fortune" is not just a top-shelf song delivered to perfection, but offers lyrics that spoke to a core truth. It's one of the finest B-sides of his career. Elvis cared enough on the arrangement to change the key during the session to something more comfortable.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 9:29 pm

I really enjoy the television performance... Elvis seems relaxed and in great voice. It's no match for the stellar studio recording but I still like it a lot!!!

Re: Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I really enjoy the television performance... Elvis seems relaxed and in great voice. It's no match for the stellar studio recording but I still like it a lot!!!



It's a beautiful performance, although I dislike how you barely see the Jordanaires, let alone the backing band. And whenever I watch, I wonder which bass player hit the clunker. It's never written about, but it's the kind of thing I spot. You can see Elvis laugh, just a bit, right after it happens.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 10:24 pm

Love this song - its brilliant!!

Re: Fame And Fortune

Tue May 10, 2016 10:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Fame and Fortune" is not just a top-shelf song delivered to perfection, but offers lyrics that spoke to a core truth. It's one of the finest B-sides of his career. Elvis cared enough on the arrangement to change the key during the session to something more comfortable.

Yup, it doesn't always bring people happiness, but love is so much greater.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 4:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I really enjoy the television performance... Elvis seems relaxed and in great voice. It's no match for the stellar studio recording but I still like it a lot!!!



It's a beautiful performance, although I dislike how you barely see the Jordanaires, let alone the backing band. And whenever I watch, I wonder which bass player hit the clunker. It's never written about, but it's the kind of thing I spot. You can see Elvis laugh, just a bit, right after it happens.

Did we ever figure out who was playing bass for this performance? I see the standup there but is that an electric bass as well? Or is it just a second guitar?
I also dislike how the Jordanaires are off to the side... should have had them in behind Elvis like the Sullivan performances.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 12:49 pm

I always liked the take on legendary performer 3 more what take is that anyone ?

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 1:19 pm

robbie wrote:I always liked the take on legendary performer 3 more what take is that anyone ?

Take 2, I believe :)

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks for that 8)

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Robbo wrote:
phpBB [media]


This song has always been one of my favorites.

great song and great performance. This is Elvis - the singer with the unbelievable voice.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Does it sound the best on Golden Records Vol.3? An FTD I have yet to get!

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Fame and Fortune was a fantastic first single coupled with Stuck on You in March 1960 following Elvis discharge from the Army.

In April of 1960 Fame and Fortune reached # 17 while Stuck on You hit #1 in the US

One of my all time favorite singles sleeves.

Image

Image

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Fame and Fortune is an outstanding song. Elvis' performance is terrific and he is so committed to doing a good job, as was noted above by Doc. As Elvis' voice matured over the years I suspect this one would have sounded great if included in a live set. Classic song and performance!

rlj

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Squire Smart wrote:Does it sound the best on Golden Records Vol.3? An FTD I have yet to get!


Squire, please go to page two of this mb and read the Elvis' Golden Records Vol. 3 FTD thread. But before you do so I highly recommend you order the FTD. When you read the thread you'll understand why.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Wed May 11, 2016 11:58 pm

What can be said about this song than hasn't already been ?

Unbelievably beautiful Elvis Presley record, and his vocal still brings a tear to my eye every time I listen to it !!!

Re: Fame And Fortune

Thu May 12, 2016 12:17 am

Elvis sang the crap out of that song on the Sinatra show. Mercy.

Re: Fame And Fortune

Thu May 12, 2016 1:20 am

robbie wrote:I always liked the take on legendary performer 3 more what take is that anyone ?


Me too !

This song is special to me, I used to "sing" it to my first born, and she picked the song for the Father and Bride dance when she got married end of last year ! ::rocks

Re: Fame And Fortune

Thu May 12, 2016 3:17 am

robbie wrote:I always liked the take on legendary performer 3 more what take is that anyone ?


It's definitely take 2, in a slightly different arrangement and higher key. It now has a perfect home on FTD's Elvis Is Back!



Pete Dube wrote:
Squire Smart wrote:Does it sound the best on Golden Records Vol.3? An FTD I have yet to get!


Squire, please go to page two of this mb and read the Elvis' Golden Records Vol. 3 FTD thread. But before you do so I highly recommend you order the FTD. When you read the thread you'll understand why.


Easier:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92515

Re: Fame And Fortune

Thu May 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Great song, and another gem totally ignore during the concert years. Man, the more you think of his catalog, the more disappointing those 70's setlists become. By the way, RCA did not print titles on that picture sleeve because they werent sure what 2 sides would be chosen for the single, but they wanted the sleeve ready. I think thats the only time the song titles were not on the sleeve (in the US anyway)

Re: Fame And Fortune

Thu May 12, 2016 3:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:
Squire Smart wrote:Does it sound the best on Golden Records Vol.3? An FTD I have yet to get!


Squire, please go to page two of this mb and read the Elvis' Golden Records Vol. 3 FTD thread. But before you do so I highly recommend you order the FTD. When you read the thread you'll understand why.


Easier:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92515


Thanks Doc and Pete. How did I miss that thread? Every single response is uber positive. FTD Golden Records Vol.3 is next to get then! :D