BOXCAR Releasing New Book Elvis on Television (1956-1960)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

lucio
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: BOXCAR Releasing New Book Elvis on Television (1956-1960

Post by lucio »

memphisking wrote:
The Pirate wrote:If Gordon Minto is involved then it should be pretty good, but unless that's just a mockup in the illustrations there is no way that slim volume contains 400 pages.
Gordon Minto huh! He is part of TMAHM team. I can think of 1 particular very active member who is not gonna like that. :)
Gordon would be my number one choice to write anything on Elvis in the 1950s or 1969-70. His prose when positive is fantastic. Unfortunately I stopped subscribing to Man and His Music because of Gordon's constant negativity when reviewing releases toward almost everything not related to the 50s or 1969-1970.

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Davelee »

r&b wrote:I actually like this idea. Nothing more historic than Elvis on TV 1956-60. TV and rock and roll were still in their beginning stages.
And Elvis was the first Rock'n'Roller to get national Television exposure, the rest then followed. Elvis' groundbreaking TV shows in the 50s are very important to his national rise to fame and of course revolutionized TV forever. The idea to have all this in a book, Plus pictures, is a great idea. Let's hope it delivers. I'll wait for the review in ETMAHM.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

lucio wrote:
memphisking wrote:
The Pirate wrote:If Gordon Minto is involved then it should be pretty good, but unless that's just a mockup in the illustrations there is no way that slim volume contains 400 pages.
Gordon Minto huh! He is part of TMAHM team. I can think of 1 particular very active member who is not gonna like that. :)
Gordon would be my number one choice to write anything on Elvis in the 1950s or 1969-70. His prose when positive is fantastic. Unfortunately I stopped subscribing to Man and His Music because of Gordon's constant negativity when reviewing releases toward almost everything not related to the 50s or 1969-1970.
This is incorrect. When a reviewer views a show or recording by a performer who is not up to scratch, that is not negativity, but rather reviewing the actual performance that the writer is describing. There is nothing personal about it, it's just what the writer sees and hears. Everybody knows Elvis' best work is the 50s/60 -62 then 69/70. It's a bit silly to stop subscribing because of a person's review of something -if you want to buy something, what's stopping you?

lucio

Post by lucio »

Davelee wrote:
lucio wrote:
memphisking wrote:
This is incorrect. When a reviewer views a show or recording by a performer who is not up to scratch, that is not negativity, but rather reviewing the actual performance that the writer is describing. There is nothing personal about it, it's just what the writer sees and hears. Everybody knows Elvis' best work is the 50s/60 -62 then 69/70. It's a bit silly to stop subscribing because of a person's review of something -if you want to buy something, what's stopping you?
Perhaps the general consensus is that Elvis' best work is in the 50s/ 1969-1970 and in my case I enjoy and listen to the 1968-1972 period the most. I do disagree with your comment however when it comes down to reviews in a fan magazine. If I want to know something about a new release whether it be sound quality or a particularly different version of a song during a live concert I would want a reviewer to give me some information about that so that I know whether it is worth buying. Everything released post 1977 in general will be of lesser quality than the official versions put out during Elvis' lifetime but reviews of FTDs or imports should be more about the uniqueness of the release as an entity rather than a broad stroke criticizing the performance or music because it does not fall within the reviewer's favourite Elvis period.
You may think 'Fun In Acapulco' or 'Girl Happy' are weak soundtracks but for me they have been in my top 10 favourites since I first bought them. We all have opinions on our favourite Elvis period but in a Collector Magazine I feel the focus should be on what makes the new release different from others that have come before.
When I realized that I was not getting the information I searched for in the reviews and instead had to keep reading about Elvis subpar performances instead, I stopped subscribing.
If you read some of the reviews on Elvis Information Network you can see how well they go through the various tracks commenting on the differences and nuances to be heard. This is what I personally enjoy. As a writer however, I think Gordon is one of the best I've ever seen in the Elvis world and I marvel at his language skills. No doubt, one of the reasons for buying this particular book on the 1950s tv shows will be because of Gordon's prose.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:I actually like this idea. Nothing more historic than Elvis on TV 1956-60. TV and rock and roll were still in their beginning stages.
And Elvis was the first Rock'n'Roller to get national Television exposure, the rest then followed. Elvis' groundbreaking TV shows in the 50s are very important to his national rise to fame and of course revolutionized TV forever. The idea to have all this in a book, Plus pictures, is a great idea. Let's hope it delivers. I'll wait for the review in ETMAHM.
Bill Haley & His Comets were on national television before Elvis.
Where and when?

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Where and when?
NBC`s Texaco Star Theatre with Milton Berle in May, 1955. The Ed Sullivan Show (Toast of the Town) in August, 1955. Which was on CBS.
Ok, didn't know that. But my point is Elvis was the one who revolutionized the world of R'n'R on TV because of his incredible looks and charisma and his dynamic stage act - all this is something Bill Haley never had. Elvis was a 21 yr old when he hit the screens, Bill Haley was 31 in 1956 that was way old for teenagers at the time. Bill was a great artist but he never had what Elvis possessed. He wasn't particularly a great singer, he got lucky with a half a dozen right songs. He also (like some people claim) wasn't the first Rock'n'Roller, and neither was Elvis. Rock'n'Roll is an evolution.... just sayin...

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Where and when?
NBC`s Texaco Star Theatre with Milton Berle in May, 1955. The Ed Sullivan Show (Toast of the Town) in August, 1955. Which was on CBS.
Ok, didn't know that. But my point is Elvis was the one who revolutionized the world of R'n'R on TV because of his incredible looks and charisma and his dynamic stage act - all this is something Bill Haley never had. Elvis was a 21 yr old when he hit the screens, Bill Haley was 31 in 1956 that was way old for teenagers at the time. Bill was a great artist but he never had what Elvis possessed. He wasn't particularly a great singer, he got lucky with a half a dozen right songs. He also (like some people claim) wasn't the first Rock'n'Roller, and neither was Elvis. Rock'n'Roll is an evolution.... just sayin...
Selling 25 million records is not "getting lucky." Moreover, teenagers at the time were perfectly used to their idols being of Bill Haley's age. One only has to the look at the #1 hits of 1955 to realise this.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Where and when?

Bill Haley put rock ‘n` roll on the national and international map. That's his legacy. He cut some terrific songs with his Comets. This doesn't detract from what Elvis achieved and accomplished, of course. Elvis broke new ground on television and on record.
Just to note: I knew Haley appeared on those two TV Shows you mentioned but I thought that was in 56.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Where and when?
Selling 25 million records is not "getting lucky." Moreover, teenagers at the time were perfectly used to their idols being of Bill Haley's age. One only has to the look at the #1 hits of 1955 to realise this.
He did not sell 25mil records at the time he was active, that achievement of sales happened over a period of years, even after he had died. Rock Around The Clock was the second biggest selling record next to Bing Crosbys White Christmas, but the sales of those two great records happened over a period of years, selling over 20mil each, of course, they were million sellers at the time (Elton John's "Candle In The Wind" overtook these sales due to Princess Diana's death when he did the song at her funeral). From what I understand Rock Around The Clock was not a hit when first released - when it appeared on the movie Blackboard Jungle it was then released again and that's when it became the massive hit.

As for your comment about teenagers being used to their idols being Haleys age, yes, until Presley came along.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by sweetangeline »

lets not kid ourselves here...absolutely nobody looked like ELVIS (most certainly Bill Haley) and that's not taking away any of their achievements...but ELVIS had the complete package and how much do you think that really mattered??

LOTS!!

Rocker
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by Rocker »

Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Where and when?

Just wanted to add that Bo Diddley appeared on Ed Sullivan's show in 1955, also before Elvis:

Well, hello there....

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

Rocker wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Where and when?

Just wanted to add that Bo Diddley appeared on Ed Sullivan's show in 1955, also before Elvis:

Yes, knew this but Bo wasn't classed as R'n'R at the time, he was an R&B act, he's only classed as R'n'R because a lot of Rock'n'Rollers have covered his songs (Buddy Holly) and beyond (Rolling Stones).

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rocker wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:Bill Haley & His Comets were on national television before Elvis.
Where and when?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlcU_CpqNu4
That appearance was the one that immediately sprang to mind.

Although introduced on the "Ed Sullivan Show" as an "rhythm and blues" act, Bo Diddley was playing rock 'n' roll, from the beat to distorted guitar to menace. One can only imagine how many of the millions of adult viewers that Sunday night in November 1955 felt when watching him. It's a mind-blowing sequence, the new world opening up. Bo apparently angered the host by not playing a requested, innocuous cover of "Sixteen Tons." When Elvis appeared on CBS eight weeks later that danger had now become apparent in a white artist, singing his version of black music.

And although Bill Haley and His Comets were visually uninspiring, and their appearance on "The Buick-Berle Show" is a lip-sync, their 1955 appearances count on some level. I've determined the correct show titles, complete air dates, networks and songs, plus found online video.

Take a look below!

-----

Rock 'n' Roll Debuts on Television

5-31-1955 (Tue)
"The Buick-Berle Show" NBC-TV
Bill Haley and His Comets
"Rock Around The Clock" (lip-sync)

8-07-1955 (Sun)
"Toast of the Town" CBS-TV
"Rock Around The Clock"

11-20-1955 (Sun)
"The Ed Sullivan Show" CBS-TV
Bo Diddley
"Bo Diddley"
Part of a "Dr. Jive's Rhythm and Blues" sequence which also included LaVern Baker doing "Tweedlee Dee" and the Five Keys singing "Ling, Ting, Tong"

1-28-1956 (Sat)
"Stage Show" CBS-TV
Elvis Presley
"Shake, Rattle and Roll" / "Flip Flop and Fly" and "I Got A Woman"

-----

Any more before Elvis on "Stage Show"?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greystoke wrote:Bill Haley & His Comets were on national television before Elvis.
Where and when?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlcU_CpqNu4
That appearance was the one that immediately sprang to mind.

Although introduced on the "Ed Sullivan Show" as an "rhythm and blues" act, Bo Diddley was playing rock 'n' roll, from the beat to distorted guitar to menace. One can only imagine how many of the millions of adult viewers that Sunday night in November 1955 felt when watching him. It's a mind-blowing sequence, the new world opening up. Bo apparently angered the host by not playing a requested, innocuous cover of "Sixteen Tons." When Elvis appeared on CBS eight weeks later that danger had now become apparent in a white artist, singing his version of black music.

And although Bill Haley and His Comets were visually uninspiring, and their appearance on "The Buick-Berle Show" is a lip-sync, their 1955 appearances count on some level. I've determined the correct show titles, complete air dates, networks and songs, plus found online video.

Take a look below!

-----

Rock 'n' Roll Debuts on Television

5-31-1955 (Tue)
"The Buick-Berle Show" NBC-TV
"Rock Around The Clock" (lip-sync)

8-07-1955 (Sun)
"Toast of the Town" CBS-TV
"Rock Around The Clock"

11-20-1955 (Sun)
"The Ed Sullivan Show" CBS-TV
Bo Diddley
"Bo Diddley"
Part of a "Dr. Jive's Rhythm and Blues" sequence which also included LaVern Baker doing "Tweedlee Dee" and the Five Keys singing "Ling, Ting, Tong"

1-28-1956 (Sat)
"Stage Show" CBS-TV
Elvis Presley
"Shake, Rattle and Roll" / "Flip Flop and Fly" and "I Got A Woman"

-----

Any more before Elvis on "Stage Show"?
Though Bo was a great artist (never did much for me) but I can't see him causing too much ripples in the music world with his television appearances in '55 or his records flying off the shelf which they didn't. He prob got some good royalties on the cover versions of his songs by more acommplished and well-known artists.

drjohncarpenter

Davelee wrote:Though Bo was a great artist (never did much for me) but I can't see him causing too much ripples in the music world with his television appearances in '55 or his record flying off the shelf which they didn't. He prob got some good royalties on the cover versions of his songs by more acommplished and well-known artists.
It's unclear if Bo Diddley made any other TV appearances at that time. But "Bo Diddley" (Checker 814) was a #1 r&b hit for him in the summer of 1955, staying at the top for at least two weeks. So that probably sold quite a few copies and paid a few bills. But the point is that the TV appearance was perceived by the younger demographic as something more than r&b, it was nascent rock 'n' roll.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Davelee wrote:Though Bo was a great artist (never did much for me) but I can't see him causing too much ripples in the music world with his television appearances in '55 or his record flying off the shelf which they didn't. He prob got some good royalties on the cover versions of his songs by more acommplished and well-known artists.
It's unclear if Bo Diddley made any other TV appearances at that time. But "Bo Diddley" (Checker 814) was a #1 r&b hit for him in the summer of 1955, staying at the top for at least two weeks. So that probably sold quite a few copies and paid a few bills. But the point is that the TV appearance was perceived by the younger demographic as something more than r&b, it was nascent rock 'n' roll.
Yeah, it did well in the R&B market and he was a great innovator for his guitar sound and its all part of the developement of R'n'R but that guitar sound wouldn't cut too much ice with the public on a national level but amongst up and coming musicians around the world his guitar sound was fascinating.

Channeling Elvis
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Channeling Elvis »

I agree - a book about Elvis on TV is a great idea!

"You see? There's not enough kindness in the world." -- Sydney Greenstreet (Mask of Dimitrios)

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Channeling Elvis wrote:I agree - a book about Elvis on TV is a great idea!
If you do, you should call it Channeling Elvis! :wink:

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

drjohncarpenter

This one isn't too shabby:

Channeling Elvis: How Television Saved the King of Rock 'n' Roll by Allen J. Wiener
http://www.amazon.com/Channeling-Elvis-Television-Saved-King/dp/1500320072

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by TJ »

There's sometimes a suggestion that the Colonel was hugely astute and inspired in his decision to get Elvis on TV, but it was the obvious next step and not something that another manager wouldn't have pushed for. If Bo Diddley was on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1955, it didn't exactly take great imagination to think that Elvis might benefit from the same.

As for the book, it does look promising.

Channeling Elvis

Mike C wrote:
If you do, you should call it Channeling Elvis! :wink:
8)

"You see? There's not enough kindness in the world." -- Sydney Greenstreet (Mask of Dimitrios)

Channeling Elvis

drjohncarpenter wrote:
This one isn't too shabby:

Channeling Elvis: How Television Saved the King of Rock 'n' Roll by Allen J. Wiener
http://www.amazon.com/Channeling-Elvis-Television-Saved-King/dp/1500320072
Thanks, Doc! :wink:

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

A nice docu to accompany reading the book was just posted on YouTube by artfrob:

Elvis "the Television Years"

BONUS

By the same poster:

Elvis" the Memphis Years"

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by robbie »

Elvis made Bill Haley look like your Uncle :-?

OnStage55
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by OnStage55 »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

A nice docu to accompany reading the book was just posted on YouTube by artfrob:

Elvis "the Television Years"

BONUS

By the same poster:

Elvis" the Memphis Years"

Those 2 videos are from this excellent 2002, 8-DVD - 16 hour Box set.