BOXCAR Releasing New Book Elvis on Television (1956-1960)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
PEP
Registered for: 21 years

BOXCAR Releasing New Book Elvis on Television (1956-1960)

Post by PEP »

To celebrate the 60th ANNVERSARY YEAR of Elvis’ first appearance on
national television, Boxcar Enterprises will release a LIMITED EDITION 400-page hard cover book (with slipcase), a comprehensive illustration of Elvis Presley’s early television appearances titled
‘Elvis on Television (1956-1960).
From his first national introduction on the Dorsey Brothers 'Stage Show’ in January 1956, through his appearances on other TV shows hosted by famous celebrities such as Milton Berle, Steve Allen and Ed Sullivan.
(including the infamous ‘from the waist up’ show in January 1957),
this book goes well behind the scenes of each show documenting his arrival, the rehearsals and the shows themselves, all the way through to Elvis’ post-army
appearance on The Frank Sinatra-Timex Show in May 1960. It was to be his last television appearance for eight years.
Supported by a fully comprehensive text, (by Gordon Minto) collected here are scores of historical documents, memorabilia and hundreds of rare photographs - many of which have never before been published.
This book will captivate the reader throughout, and is the most detailed document on the history of Elvis on Television from 1956-60.

The Book is expected to be released
June 20th 2016 !

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Re: BOXCAR Releasing New Book Elvis on Television (1956-1960

Post by sweetangeline »

...this really needed a DVD :wink:

Tomek
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Tomek »

Yea! Those shows are somewhere. Just release them :)
Book about TV shows? No thanks.

Next will be book about Elvis books :)

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

If Gordon Minto is involved then it should be pretty good, but unless that's just a mockup in the illustrations there is no way that slim volume contains 400 pages.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Tomek wrote:Next will be book about Elvis books :)
The market for Elvis books is, it seems, unlimited. Personally I long for the days when Madison (God bless them) and Fort Baxter (them too) and Audionics (yes, them too) were putting out great CD releases and books were a rarity, but the Elvis community has changed a lot in recent years - now it's all books, no bootlegs (I'm not talking about pointless audience recordings here) which makes it less exciting for fellows like me.

Thankfully FTD is still around!

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Tomek wrote:Next will be book about Elvis books :)
The market for Elvis books is, it seems, unlimited. Personally I long for the days when Madison (God bless them) and Fort Baxter (them too) and Audionics (yes, them too) were putting out great CD releases and books were a rarity, but the Elvis community has changed a lot in recent years - now it's all books, no bootlegs (I'm not talking about pointless audience recordings here) which makes it less exciting for fellows like me.

Thankfully FTD is still around!
Pointless audience recordings?. I can understand you might not be interested, but that they're pointless is not true.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Tomek wrote: Next will be book about Elvis books :)
Now, that's a good idea!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

memphisking
Previously banned member "Master of Muppets"
Previously banned member "Master of Muppets"
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by memphisking »

The Pirate wrote:If Gordon Minto is involved then it should be pretty good, but unless that's just a mockup in the illustrations there is no way that slim volume contains 400 pages.
Gordon Minto huh! He is part of TMAHM team. I can think of 1 particular very active member who is not gonna like that. :)

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote: The market for Elvis books is, it seems, unlimited.
You know what? The problem isn't that it's unlimited, it's that it's very much limited. Limited to the same hardcore element who will buy anything and everything with Elvis' name on it, which means that books can be produced at an alarming rate and at an alarming cost. If the market was larger, then prices could be kept down to a reasonable level.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

The Pirate wrote:
You know what? The problem isn't that it's unlimited, it's that it's very much limited. Limited to the same hardcore element who will buy anything and everything with Elvis' name on it, which means that books can be produced at an alarming rate and at an alarming cost. If the market was larger, then prices could be kept down to a reasonable level.
Okay, let me rephrase that. The demand for Elvis books, among people who buy Elvis books, is without any limits whatsoever. :D

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Okay, let me rephrase that. The demand for Elvis books, among people who buy Elvis books, is without any limits whatsoever. :D
Yep, you're right. It's looking good for sales of my forthcoming, "Guide To Graceland Roadkill: An illustrated history of every dead animal found on Elvis Presley Boulevard since its renaming in June 1971."

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

Personally, if I can afford them, I enjoy buying books on Elvis. I'm hoping that I can snag a hardback copy of "Ultimate Elvis - The Complete and Definitive Recording Sessions" soon. Now, that is a book that will hold my interest. Since I'm involved in music, I like reading about Elvis's recording sessions and what went on behind-the-scenes.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

danielf

Post by danielf »

The Pirate wrote:It's looking good for sales of my forthcoming, "Guide To Graceland Roadkill: An illustrated history of every dead animal found on Elvis Presley Boulevard since its renaming in June 1971."
Great angle, and if it includes pictures with Graceland in the background I'm in. Just give me a heads up when I can pre order.

OnStage55
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Mood:

Post by OnStage55 »

I am intrigued......

danielf

Post by danielf »

OnStage55 wrote:I am intrigued......
Me too !
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
memphisking wrote:
The Pirate wrote:If Gordon Minto is involved then it should be pretty good, but unless that's just a mockup in the illustrations there is no way that slim volume contains 400 pages.
Gordon Minto huh! He is part of TMAHM team. I can think of 1 particular very active member who is not gonna like that. :)
Yeah, he probably won´t believe it even when you can clearly see Gordon Minto´s name impressed on the front of the book! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

G.I. Blues
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by G.I. Blues »

If the Timex Special in true color comes with the book, I'll buy it!

Daddy has left the Wohnzimmer!
Thank You and Good Night!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

We are getting to the stage where there is going to be a coffee-table book on every little aspect of Elvis's life and career - and people will keep buying them because they look pretty and have nice pictures. That's fine, but the truth is that there are hundreds of pictures out there from these TV shows, we've all seen them, and just because one is "unreleased" because it was taken a second later than the other and Elvis's hand is in a different place doesn't mean it's going to add anything to what fans already have.

There are no shortage of these types of books, but few, if any, actually say anything we don't already know. For Elvis to be taken seriously again outside of the fandom, there needs to be some books with some meat to them out there that actually talk seriously about Presley's music, his performances, his impact on culture, and his impact on history. I'll take the likes of Channelling Elvis over yet another photo of Elvis with the Basset hound any day.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Thank you. But if I had the chance I would do it differently. It was the first I had done in the format, and the Bobby Darin one which followed is somewhat superior - you learn by your mistakes, and do away with what didn't work and expand on what did.

r&b

Post by r&b »

I actually like this idea. Nothing more historic than Elvis on TV 1956-60. TV and rock and roll were still in their beginning stages.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Thank you. But if I had the chance I would do it differently. It was the first I had done in the format, and the Bobby Darin one which followed is somewhat superior - you learn by your mistakes, and do away with what didn't work and expand on what did.
Your welcome...know we have had our past differences on several topics, but with that said...I do have it and enjoyed reading it...and hey let`s be honest you got many nice reviews...I`m assuming you read the ETMAHM review??

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

sweetangeline wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Your welcome...know we have had our past differences on several topics, but with that said...I do have it and enjoyed reading it...and hey let`s be honest you got many nice reviews...I`m assuming you read the ETMAHM review??
Yes, that was a very nice review, and by Mr Minto, I might add. The Darin book was more detailed and spent more time examining the press comments and reviews, which I think was a better way forward (in hindsight). One day I might revisit the Elvis one and expand it to do the same.

As for the television book, I'm sure it will be very nice and put together well, but I just wonder how many more similar books are needed. Isn't there even one coming out on Clambake I read somewhere?! But I guess while they sell...

Tomek
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Tomek »

One DVD of those would make it for 100 books like that.
And it would be less expensive, especially when it comes to shipping cost.
I'll wait.

Would you buy book about TTWII or TTWII on blu ray? hmmmm

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

poormadpeter2 wrote: As for the television book, I'm sure it will be very nice and put together well, but I just wonder how many more similar books are needed. Isn't there even one coming out on Clambake I read somewhere?! But I guess while they sell...
It's rather like, "The boy who cried wolf." So many books have come out in the last few years, that when a new one comes along with the potential for it to be really special nobody takes any real notice, or else they say, "We have too many books already." The trick is for fans to be more selective in what they buy, but we know that's never going to happen.