FTD Announcement, when o when?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: FTD Announcement, when o when?

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Ken Jensen wrote:It doesn't really work that way. FTD and Sony are individual record companies, or different branches of the same. Either way, FTD's release schedule cannot be dictated by that of Sony in the way you seem to imply. That box set you have purchased appear to be flawed in many ways, another reason I never bothered to pick it up. If all the masters had been there in perfect sound quality, I might have considered it. Even so, I would never expect FTD to give me time to enjoy it before releasing something else. I couldn't care less about Elvis books, by the way. I don't buy them, I don't read them. Nowadays, I only read fiction and other books that interest me. As for Elvis, I'm only interested in the music and to some extent the movies. In fact, I have lost a lot of my interest in alternate takes and sloppy concert performances. I prefer to listen to studio masters (as oppossed to soundtrack masters from the '60s) and his best live work. Time is too short and precious to dabble away at the lesser material.
Is this the original Ken Jensen or has someone hijacked his account? :shock: :D

I agree about the books. The last book I bought was the mighty fine"Bootleg Elvis". Since then, nothing has interested me. But I disagree about the alternate takes and sloppy concert performances. Still enjoy that part of being a hardcore Elvis fan...

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Tornado
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Tornado »

Still the Classics series remains unfinished business for now and FTD has the mission to make it complete.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Ken Jensen wrote: It doesn't really work that way. FTD and Sony are individual record companies, or different branches of the same. Either way, FTD's release schedule cannot be dictated by that of Sony in the way you seem to imply.
One thing about that, which is that there is no such thing as an FTD "release schedule", at least nothing set in stone. It isn't like they are legally obliged to put out 'X' packages a year, the same dates each year. The 60 disc box has been in the pipeline for a long time, I presume also that the forthcoming book wasn't something that was decided at the last minute, and so it's perfectly possible to get the release dates in sync somehow. And hey, seeing as we haven't had an official announcement yet, maybe that's exactly what is going on. My initial comment wasn't a complaint about something which has happened, it was a suggestion about what should happen, and it may turn out that they already had the same idea.

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

frus75 wrote:
It doesn't really work that way. FTD and Sony are individual record companies, or different branches of the same. Either way, FTD's release schedule cannot be dictated by that of Sony in the way you seem to imply. That box set you have purchased appear to be flawed in many ways, another reason I never bothered to pick it up. If all the masters had been there in perfect sound quality, I might have considered it. Even so, I would never expect FTD to give me time to enjoy it before releasing something else. I couldn't care less about Elvis books, by the way. I don't buy them, I don't read them. Nowadays, I only read fiction and other books that interest me. As for Elvis, I'm only interested in the music and to some extent the movies. In fact, I have lost a lot of my interest in alternate takes and sloppy concert performances. I prefer to listen to studio masters (as oppossed to soundtrack masters from the '60s) and his best live work. Time is too short and precious to dabble away at the lesser material.[/quote]

Just curious, if you don't like books, and have lost interest in sloppy concerts and alternate takes, can we conclude FTD is not your business anymore? Or do you still find any product they´ve lately offered interesting? (I understand your points, I´m just curious)[/quote]

I still find FTD of interest, even the 1976 soundboards (the last two are of my doing), but I do not spend a lot of time listening to this material any longer. I do enjoy outtakes and some concerts post 1975, don't get me wrong, I just don't play such material very often. It's much more enjoyable to listen to Elvis from 1969 or 1970 than 1976 or 1977. Outtakes can be great fun, and I've listened to my share over the years, at some point I even preferred alternate takes, but now I've found my way back to the master recordings. At some point down the line, that might change, but I don't think so.

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:It doesn't really work that way. FTD and Sony are individual record companies, or different branches of the same. Either way, FTD's release schedule cannot be dictated by that of Sony in the way you seem to imply. That box set you have purchased appear to be flawed in many ways, another reason I never bothered to pick it up. If all the masters had been there in perfect sound quality, I might have considered it. Even so, I would never expect FTD to give me time to enjoy it before releasing something else. I couldn't care less about Elvis books, by the way. I don't buy them, I don't read them. Nowadays, I only read fiction and other books that interest me. As for Elvis, I'm only interested in the music and to some extent the movies. In fact, I have lost a lot of my interest in alternate takes and sloppy concert performances. I prefer to listen to studio masters (as oppossed to soundtrack masters from the '60s) and his best live work. Time is too short and precious to dabble away at the lesser material.
Is this the original Ken Jensen or has someone hijacked his account? :shock: :D

I agree about the books. The last book I bought was the mighty fine"Bootleg Elvis". Since then, nothing has interested me. But I disagree about the alternate takes and sloppy concert performances. Still enjoy that part of being a hardcore Elvis fan...
No one has hijacked my account. I still enjoy alternate takes, but I don't play them much. I prefer to listen to the masters these days. Same with concerts; I prefer the good shows over the bad/mediocre ones. It's a matter of priority. I simply don't have time to listen to Elvis as much as I used to.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

Thanks Ken for your answer. I'm almost in the same boat

Iván

La voz del Rey

Rock Legend
Suspended for one week
Suspended for one week
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Rock Legend »

elvisland wrote:I've heard through the grapevine that speedway .change of habit.elvis in concert are coming this year I've heard from a reliable source
I think you heard wrong. I have been reliably informed that both 'Elvis in Concert' shows have been newly remixed and are ready for release, but also that FTD has been told by the main label not to use this material for now.

This might indicate a Sony Legacy release of this material, or part of it. Personally, I would prefer that these concerts only come out through FTD, but we'll see.

Topic author
steve in SC
Registered for: 21 years

Post by steve in SC »

Rock Legend wrote:
elvisland wrote:I've heard through the grapevine that speedway .change of habit.elvis in concert are coming this year I've heard from a reliable source
I think you heard wrong. I have been reliably informed that both 'Elvis in Concert' shows have been newly remixed and are ready for release, but also that FTD has been told by the main label not to use this material for now.

This might indicate a Sony Legacy release of this material, or part of it. Personally, I would prefer that these concerts only come out through FTD, but we'll see.
I wouldn't mind a remixed mainstream release of these shows as long as they use the most flattering pictures possible(yes there are some) and no video. I think there are some pretty good performances in EIC.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Rock Legend wrote:I think you heard wrong. I have been reliably informed that both 'Elvis in Concert' shows have been newly remixed and are ready for release, but also that FTD has been told by the main label not to use this material for now.
I hope you're not teasing... but given next year would be the show's 40th anniversary, they may be waiting until 2017. It would be nice to see an FTD release...

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Rock Legend wrote:I have been reliably informed that both 'Elvis in Concert' shows have been newly remixed and are ready for release, but also that FTD has been told by the main label not to use this material for now.This might indicate a Sony Legacy release of this material, or part of it.
kind of goes hand in hand with this statement below...but of course things can change by next year :wink:

Though Elvis Presley - The Albums Collection will never be equaled in scope, Jackson says Legacy is already planning some releases for 2017, the 40th anniversary of Presley’s death. “We’ve got some interesting ideas,” he admits. “The 40th anniversary of some of the last recordings he made is coming up, so we’re toying with the idea of how to best present those. It’s my argument that he never lost it -- that he was never anything less than amazing. He was the greatest singer of all time, as far as I’m concerned, and was always trying to do his thing. Despite all the troubles he had in the '70s, including fights with the label, how they were promoting him and how they made him feel, he was still cutting great stuff. That’s a lot of what we’re talking about now.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7263868/elvis-presley-the-album-collection-box-set-legacy

jerrynodak

Post by jerrynodak »

Hmmmmmmmm! Rose colored glasses?

OnTourCam
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by OnTourCam »

I wouldn't mind Hampton Roads April 9th 1972
I find it very strange FTD hasn't touched any live shows from that April Tour

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D i can take a newly re-mixed legacy 1977 in concert in june 2017 -yes thanks¬!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!