Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Sun Collection LP

Wed May 14, 2003 3:50 pm

The Sun Collection on lp/cd offers a great sequence of tracks which makes great listening .

•THE SUN SESSIONS APMI-1675 mono Released 3/76
SIDE1
That's All Right - Blue Moon Of Kentucky - I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine - Good Rockin' Tonight - Milkcow Blues Boogie - You're A Heartbreaker - I'm Left, You're Right She's Gone (My Baby's Gone) - Baby Let's Play House -
SIDE2
Mystery Train - I Forgot To Remember To Forget - I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin') - I Love You Because - Tryin' To Get To You - Blue Moon - Just Because - I Love You Because (Take 3)

Despite the sound upgrade of either the 50s Box or the Sunrise Set, I still prefer the old LP (maybe because that was how I discovered the Sun Sessions at the time).
The whole of side 1 is full of energy while the end of side 2 eases off gently with softer songs.

The track sequnce is weak on the box SET (strictly chronological) whereas the Lp chooses to present the tracks in their order of issue, and it works as quality not rarity was the guide then

Just a thought I wanted to share.

Regards
Dan

Wed May 14, 2003 7:34 pm

i know you mean i still love this version of
the sun session.

i am thinking putting it on cdr.

curtis simpkins

Wed May 14, 2003 10:57 pm

Great LP, Dan!

As an Elvis music lover as well I do prefer "Sunrise" CD and "The Complete Sun Sessions" LP over the 1976 release.
I guess the improvement in sound makes them a little better listen... to me anyway.

Thu May 15, 2003 1:44 am

The original UK "The Sun Collection" version LP, 100% produced by Roger Semon, used all and only the available masters with the least amount of "RCA Echo". The US version is a mismosh from several generation sources. The US version is NOT the same version issued in UK.

If ever someone could get through to Semon, an interview about how he did his "The Sun Collection" LP would be interesting reading. I believe Semon accessed the earliest copy masters sent to UK to both HMV and the new "UK" 1957 RCA and/or UK didn't add more echo every generation over the years, like RCA-US did. But then he'd have to comment on the inferior US version, and the crappy "The Complete Sun Sessions" by Rowe, and the only somewhat less crappy "Sunrise" too... so he might not sit for such an interview anyway.
Last edited by ohnono on Thu May 15, 2003 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 15, 2003 6:14 am

It's hard to be disappointed with the quality of the "newly discovered"
master of "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine" that appears on Sunrise.
I haven't heard any additional SUN releases that come close to this sound quality.
How unfortunate.