Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Steve Martin's Elvis encounter

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 pm

This is a few years old, but I did a forum search and found no results. Actor/comedian Steve Martin appeared on Letterman a few years back and talked briefly about meeting Elvis when Martin opened for Ann-Margret. "Son, you have an oblique sense of humor!"

Question - Martin says the encounter took place in 1972. Can anyone venture a guess as to a more precise date? I couldn't find a listing of Ann-Margret's Vegas bookings during that period. I'm guessing it was in January, or perhaps even in 1970 or 71.

Re: Steve Martin's Elvis encounter

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:37 pm

this has been talked about before. I think we figured out the encounter took place in 1971. He says Priscilla was with Elvis so it was not 1972.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:45 pm

DEH wrote:this has been talked about before. I think we figured out the encounter took place in 1971. He says Priscilla was with Elvis so it was not 1972.

Thank you. That's what I was figuring too.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:52 pm

It probably took place on February 24, 1971. Elvis and Priscilla was at the Ann-Margaret show and Steve Martin was a part of it. Source: Elvis - Live at the International.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:30 am

egilj wrote:It probably took place on February 24, 1971. Elvis and Priscilla was at the Ann-Margaret show and Steve Martin was a part of it. Source: Elvis - Live at the International.

Nice! Thank you.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:40 am

Hobbes wrote:This is a few years old, but I did a forum search and found no results. Actor/comedian Steve Martin appeared on Letterman a few years back and talked briefly about meeting Elvis when Martin opened for Ann-Margret. "Son, you have an oblique sense of humor!"

Question - Martin says the encounter took place in 1972. Can anyone venture a guess as to a more precise date? I couldn't find a listing of Ann-Margret's Vegas bookings during that period. I'm guessing it was in January, or perhaps even in 1970 or 71.

DEH wrote:this has been talked about before. I think we figured out the encounter took place in 1971. He says Priscilla was with Elvis so it was not 1972.

"we"? I don't think so. I posted this information four years ago, you had nothing to do with it:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Live At The International arrived today.

It's a quality publication, a hardcover book loaded with memorabilia, interesting photos, many new to my eyes although not of a professional nature, and filled with a great deal of information from first-person testimonials. I've yet to dig deeply into the text, but it seems very clear this is an essential purchase for the deep Elvis fan. In particular, 1971 in Las Vegas is suddenly, and forever more, less mysterious.

Here's a tiny sample. Did you know Elvis attended Ann-Margret's Wednesday, February 24, 1971 Midnight Show at the International? It was called "Ann-Margret, Starring in 'A-M/PM.'" Guess who opened for her? Comedian Steve Martin! Elvis laughed quite a bit at his act. Guess who Elvis' date was for the evening? Priscilla!

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63093&p=942068&#p942068

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hobbes wrote:This is a few years old, but I did a forum search and found no results. Actor/comedian Steve Martin appeared on Letterman a few years back and talked briefly about meeting Elvis when Martin opened for Ann-Margret. "Son, you have an oblique sense of humor!"

"we"? I don't think so. I posted this information four years ago, you had nothing to do with it:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Live At The International arrived today.

It's a quality publication, a hardcover book loaded with memorabilia, interesting photos, many new to my eyes although not of a professional nature, and filled with a great deal of information from first-person testimonials. I've yet to dig deeply into the text, but it seems very clear this is an essential purchase for the deep Elvis fan. In particular, 1971 in Las Vegas is suddenly, and forever more, less mysterious.

Here's a tiny sample. Did you know Elvis attended Ann-Margret's Wednesday, February 24, 1971 Midnight Show at the International? It was called "Ann-Margret, Starring in 'A-M/PM.'" Guess who opened for her? Comedian Steve Martin! Elvis laughed quite a bit at his act. Guess who Elvis' date was for the evening? Priscilla!

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63093&p=942068&#p942068

Good Lord how do u live with ur own personality?? :facep: :facep: :facep:

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:04 am

Thank you Doc! I love the catchy title of Ann's show. Somehow I never got around to picking up that book. Oh well.

I'm guessing that Elvis truly enjoyed Steve Martin's sense of humor.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:07 am

Hobbes wrote:Thank you Doc! I love the catchy title of Ann's show. Somehow I never got around to picking up that book. Oh well.

I'm guessing that Elvis truly enjoyed Steve Martin's sense of humor.

My pleasure. Yes, he liked Ann's opening act that night.

And then Elvis (still gripping Steve's hand) moved in closer and in a subdued voice gave Steve what he felt was a more sincere comment on his performance, "You have a very oblique sense of humor."

Morris Walker, Steve Martin: The Magic Years
https://books.google.com/books?id=ieVj9Z-w12UC&pg=PA238&lpg=PA238