Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

She Wears my ring

Post by Chucky99 »

This is a very good romantic song recorded by many artists including Elvis, Roy Orbison and Solomon King.
I think the best version of the song is the one recorded by The Big O. in 1964, displaying his operatic voice
The version recorded by Elvis comes in the second place, this being on the tender side.
Considering the fact that Elvis recorded the song in 1973( when his voice was suffering from damage done to his body) and Roy recorded it in 1964 at the peak of his career,I give this song to Roy....but IF ELVIS recorded this in 1960-1963 period, This Would have been Elvis' SONG.I Have no doubts about this.
What is your opinion, guys?

G.I. Blues
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: She Wears my ring

Post by G.I. Blues »

It's a boring song

Daddy has left the Wohnzimmer!
Thank You and Good Night!

Topic author
Chucky99

Post by Chucky99 »

G.I. Blues wrote:It's a boring song
It might be, but what if the King recorded this in 1960-1963 period?

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

Still boring I think.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

G.I. Blues
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by G.I. Blues »

If Roy's version is the best output this song can get, my answer will be: DOUBLE YAWN

Daddy has left the Wohnzimmer!
Thank You and Good Night!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Chucky99 wrote:This is a very good romantic song recorded by many artists including Elvis, Roy Orbison and Solomon King.
I think the best version of the song is the one recorded by The Big O. in 1964, displaying his operatic voice
The version recorded by Elvis comes in the second place, this being on the tender side.
Considering the fact that Elvis recorded the song in 1973( when his voice was suffering from damage done to his body) and Roy recorded it in 1964 at the peak of his career,I give this song to Roy....but IF ELVIS recorded this in 1960-1963 period, This Would have been Elvis' SONG.I Have no doubts about this.
Although not much of a song, "She Wears My Ring" was actually a tune Elvis had loved for years. And there's no "if" about what the song might have sounded like "in 1960-1963 period" as we have a recording by him from this period. It's a November 1960 home demo from 565 Perugia Way in Los Angeles, officially released on Follow That Dream's In A Private Moment.

http://www.elvisinnorway.no/inaprivate.html

You should get a copy of this disc, it's been available for 15 years. Below is the 1960 Hickory label ad for the original Jimmy Bell r&b release of "She Wears My Ring." Although Bell's record did not do much on the charts, it clearly made an impression on Presley.

BillboardNov211960p55.jpg
Billboard - November 21, 1960

Interestingly, on this demo Elvis sings "She Wears My Ring" in a very different style from the Bell 45, turning it into a sweet duet with friend Nancy Sharp. Then, thirteen years later, his 1973 Stax master is done in a style very close to the 1960 Hickory single. Crazy stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Chucky99

Post by Chucky99 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chucky99 wrote:This is a very good romantic song recorded by many artists including Elvis, Roy Orbison and Solomon King.
Although not much of a song, "She Wears My Ring" was actually a tune Elvis had loved for years. And there's no "if" about what the song might have sounded like "in 1960-1963 period" as we have a recording by him from this period. It's a November 1960 home demo from 565 Perugia Way in Los Angeles, officially released on Follow That Dream's In A Private Moment.

http://www.elvisinnorway.no/inaprivate.html

You should get a copy of this disc, it's been available for 15 years. Below is the 1960 Hickory label ad for the original Jimmy Bell r&b release of "She Wears My Ring." Although Bell's record did not do much on the charts, it clearly made an impression on Presley.

Billboard - November 21, 1960

Interestingly, on this demo Elvis sings "She Wears My Ring" in a very different style from the Bell 45, turning it into a sweet duet with friend Nancy Sharp. Then, thirteen years later, his 1973 Stax master is done in a style very close to the 1960 Hickory single. Crazy stuff.
Wow..just wow..thanks.I didn't know that.

rollinson1

Post by rollinson1 »

Soloman Kings version to me is the best and far from boring. Roy Orbisons version with video on youtube includes another link to Elvis.

I do agree with G.I. Blues opinion though.

ELVIS PRESLEY - THE MOST UNDERRATED, UNDERUSED, WASTED TALENT OF ALL TIME

LSP-4445
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

A poor song but not as boring as "if that isnt love" and "take good care of her" IMO
The Good Times album really has some boring tracks......and some really good ones.

bajo

Post by bajo »

I like T.8 as found on the Stax disc 1. :) The original is well sung, but a little too heavy overdubbed maybe?

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by colonel snow »

The song is based on the tune "La Golondrina"; the oldest version was recorded in 1897 by U.S. Marine Band on Columbia Phonograph Company cylinder 407).
Jimmy Bell (Hickory 1136) released the song later on as Jimmy Sweeney on Buckley 1101.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

LSP-4445 wrote:A poor song but not as boring as "if that isnt love" and "take good care of her" IMO
The Good Times album really has some boring tracks......and some really good ones.
I like all the songs mentioned above...

r&b

Post by r&b »

Never liked it by anyone and I love Orbison & Burke. Just not a good piece of music for me.

DanniM
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by DanniM »

I totally agree. This song would have been so great.

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Eggrert »

Orbison may have been in better voice, but his version is indeed a snoozer. Elvis', on the other hand, is fantastic and not boring at all. I can see why it wouldn't be to some (most?) people's taste, but I love it.

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by colonel snow »

Here's a clip with the version by Jimmy Bell.

colonel snow

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Solomon King's version is the one I grew up knowing and liking. Elvis's version, as with his recording of Spanish Eyes, is very much a man going through the motions and seemingly getting a couple of songs down on tape in the simplest and easiest way possible. For me, there's no passion in either recording, and they were just a way of fulfilling a quota.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Eggrert wrote:Orbison may have been in better voice, but his version is indeed a snoozer. Elvis', on the other hand, is fantastic and not boring at all. I can see why it wouldn't be to some (most?) people's taste, but I love it.
Thats because the song itself is a snoozer. Burke has the better version of the 3, but again, not a good piece of material. Elvis should have been getting the cream of the crop from modern writers, not warmed over re-hash material of outdated songs.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

r&b wrote:
Eggrert wrote:Orbison may have been in better voice, but his version is indeed a snoozer. Elvis', on the other hand, is fantastic and not boring at all. I can see why it wouldn't be to some (most?) people's taste, but I love it.
Thats because the song itself is a snoozer. Burke has the better version of the 3, but again, not a good piece of material. Elvis should have been getting the cream of the crop from modern writers, not warmed over re-hash material of outdated songs.
That's the other thing largely not mentioned here - just how outdated the lyrics sound to modern ears: "She wears my ring to show the world that she belongs to me." It's not along in having slightly awkward lyrics for modern ears, of course - Try a Little Tenderness is still often performed but also has its moments when it talks about women: "Love is their whole happiness" isn't a far cry from "a man without love is only half of a man but a woman is nothing at all."

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

Home recording of Elvis singing 'She Wears My Ring' from 1960.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Bodie wrote:Home recording of Elvis singing 'She Wears My Ring' from 1960.

A good example of what kind of music he really liked...

Fish
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Fish »

Had Elvis recorded this in 73 solo on piano it might have been a more interesting song, along the lines of I Will Be True and It's Still Here.
I have never cared for this song, though. Much too sugary and it does sound awfully outdated. I would include Spanish Eyes and If That Isn't Love in the same class of songs. I never listen to any of these songs anymore.

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by charro1971 »

Roy Orbison's version of the song, which was recorded at Monument together with his biggest hits, is my favourite. It has an interesting arrangement with strings and saxophone and showcases Roy's amazing voice. Elvis' version is a little dull.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

colonel snow wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:42 pm
The song is based on the tune "La Golondrina"; the oldest version was recorded in 1897 by U.S. Marine Band on Columbia Phonograph Company cylinder 407).
Jimmy Bell (Hickory 1136) released the song later on as Jimmy Sweeney on Buckley 1101.

colonel snow
Came across this topic by accident. Funny to realize that just a few years after this post someone would discover that Jimmy Sweeney was behind “Without You”, which Elvis tried so much to sing for Phillips at Sun.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

Wish Elvis would've sounded like 1960 Elvis, not '73 Elvis.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth