My Baby Left Me

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter

Re: My Baby Left Me

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Burning Love wrote:And he also did justice to it by not running through it in concert. The Memphis version 74 being the best.

Burning Love
He didn't?

Note there are only five known performances in the comeback era of "My Baby Left Me":

1-28-1974 DS
1-28-1974 MS
3-02-1974
3-20-1974
8-19-1974 OS

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Lonely Summer wrote:Not blasphemy - it's essentially the same song, but the guys had a couple years to improve what they started with. CCR did a note for note copy in their 1970 album "Cosmos Factory".
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91446&p=1458411#p1458411

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Burning Love wrote:And he also did justice to it by not running through it in concert. The Memphis version 74 being the best.

Burning Love
He didn't?

Note there are only five known performances in the comeback era of "My Baby Left Me":

1-28-1974 DS
1-28-1974 MS
3-02-1974
3-20-1974
8-19-1974 OS
I am aware of six.

You obviously again just copied what you found in the internet. These are exactly the dates from this site.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/

and precisely here.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/concerts/dboutput.php?search_tourref=search_tourref&search_month=search_month&search_day=search_day&search_year=1974&search_city=search_city&search_state=search_state&search_suit=search_suit&search_musician=search_musician&search_song=My+Baby+Left+Me&search_pics=search_pics&search_cd=search_cd&search_vid=search_vid&search_aud=search_aud

With just 5 seconds of effort I found the following on the same site.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cdr/740129ds.htm

and now look at the back cover

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cdr/covers/740129ds_b.jpg

You will probably notice that Elvis did My Baby Left Me at this show, too.

coming back to the data base and the set list for this show you will be able to find the bug...?
In case not, I will help you.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/concerts/Concert_expand.php?id=703

I just wanted to say, try to avoid to just copy and paste without checking at least such easy things. Wrong infos spread quite quickly in the internet and it isn`t the first time you did this. Remember..you are a scholar... :smt023

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

drjohncarpenter

Ciscoking wrote:I am aware of six.
At least you're aware of something, and that's a good start.

As for your attempt to put me down over a topic sub-point triviality, I'm VERY comfortable with my .998 batting average. And so is everyone else. Carry on. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I am not putting you down. These are the postings by you I am checking randomly about correctness. Thats all.

No big deal. Yes. 5 seconds of effort only.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

One of my alltime favorites, love the sound of the drums and Scottys guitar during the solo.
Elvis vocals is awesome, a great recording.
The live versions are really good but can´t top the studio version IMO.

My baby left me was the opening song for the album Elvis Forever which I got as a birthday present back in 1974.
The album was Elvis biggest seller in Sweden and was promoted with an (almost) Life size paperfigure of Elvis from the post show production of Aloha from Hawaii and a rack placed on Elvis belly containing the album.

Lennart

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
J4el wrote:
jetblack wrote:
J4el wrote:Love this song. First heard it many years ago on an old Camden lp, which I still have.
Could it have been this LP released in 1981.

A1 Heartbreak Hotel
A2 (Marie's The Name Of) His Latest Flame
A3 I Got Stung
A4 I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell
A5 Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
A6 Guitar Man
B1 JailHouse Rock
B2 All Shook Up
B3 Blue Suede Shoes
B4 My Baby Left Me
B5 King Creole
B6 Hound Dog

Andy
Yes that's it. My very first Elvis record. A great introduction to Elvis as there is some great songs on that album. How could I not love this guys music after playing it. Happy days. :D
My first "adult" album, too, and a good example that budget Camden's didn't have to be lousy!
But what wholly inappropriate cover 'art' . . .

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I am aware of six.
At least you're aware of something, and that's a good start.

As for your attempt to put me down over a topic sub-point triviality, I'm VERY comfortable with my .998 batting average. And so is everyone else. Carry on. :smt023
Let me guess...it was a typo...right?

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
J4el wrote:
jetblack wrote:
J4el wrote:Love this song. First heard it many years ago on an old Camden lp, which I still have.

A1 Heartbreak Hotel
A3 I Got Stung
A6 Guitar Man
B1 JailHouse Rock
B2 All Shook Up
B3 Blue Suede Shoes
B4 My Baby Left Me
B5 King Creole
B6 Hound Dog

Andy
Yes that's it. My very first Elvis record. A great introduction to Elvis as there is some great songs on that album. How could I not love this guys music after playing it. Happy days. :D
My first "adult" album, too, and a good example that budget Camden's didn't have to be lousy!
Indeed. Another myth put to rest.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

I forgot...great song.

Chucky99

Post by Chucky99 »

The greatest song Elvis recorded in 1956. Absolutely perfect !

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Scarre wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
J4el wrote:
jetblack wrote:

A1 Heartbreak Hotel
A3 I Got Stung
A6 Guitar Man
B1 JailHouse Rock
B2 All Shook Up
B3 Blue Suede Shoes
B4 My Baby Left Me
B5 King Creole
B6 Hound Dog

Andy
Indeed. Another myth put to rest.
The Camden label introduced many folks to the world of Elvis music. In that regard, it was a complete success and it's a very good thing that it existed.
Last edited by Hard Rocker on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Well, I don't go so far. Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes and Don't Be Cruel are fighting for the number one.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

jurasic1968 wrote:Well, I don't go so far. Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes and Don't Be Cruel are fighting for the number one.
My Baby Left Me; Money Honey; Lawdy Miss Clawdy; Shake, Rattle & Roll; and So Glad Your Mine are right up there!

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Ciscoking wrote:I am not putting you down. These are the postings by you I am checking randomly about correctness. Thats all.

No big deal. Yes. 5 seconds of effort only.
Yes you're putting him down ! Do you really expect the Doc, me or anyone else for that matter to seriously check all CDR back covers in case the database isn't up to date ? I use that database too and i can only find faults in it when I know there IS a fault in it. You could spend you're energy better by letting Francesc know about the error instead of feeding your ego by trying to put the doc down.

And for 'randomly checking the doc's (or anyone's for that matter) posts about correctness, that's just plain creepy. Boy, you've fallen low Cisco !

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

My Baby Left Me, Heartbreak Hotel and Mystery Train, my favourite 50's tracks and each one loaded with atmosphere.

The 1974 concert versions of My Baby Left Me unfortunately come across as little more than a perfunctory run-through, as opposed to some of the renditions of Hotel and Train that followed in 1969 and the early 70's.

The 28th January 74 ms version of My Baby Left Me, featured on the FTD I Found My Thrill, (where he introduces it as one of his first records) starts promisingly. Memphis 1974 is a more determined and enjoyable version and perhaps the funky guitar work during the August opening night in Vegas helps improves it even more but ultimately they all miss the all important, atmosphere setting, opening drums and bass line.

Perhaps though, the 29th July loose rehearsal version from the TTWII rehearsals points to 1970 as a time when My Baby Left Me could have been slightly reworked to great effect.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

goldbelt wrote:ultimately they all miss the all important, atmosphere setting, opening drums and bass line.
Good point. It's akin to leaving out the opening bars of Jailhouse Rock or One Night, etc. Gotta wonder how they could be so remiss.

James27

Post by James27 »

I agree, these are really landmark recordings and Always have maintained a special atmosphere about them, no matter how old (in years) they get. As for the '74 Memphis live version, I like the fact that he did it live, but I'm sure he performed it better at some point? At least, I hope he did, I haven't heard any audience recordings of this as of yet. I just know the released soundboard versions, which are also quite nice, perhaps even a bit nicer (not in sound but in energy) than the multitrack live version from March 20th. Glad at least these were recorded and released!

Because here on the 20th of March, I don't think he puts enough effort into his vocals compared to what he puts in the gospel and ONJ songs vocally, and Burton's guitar pickin' and solo leave something to be desired in terms of imagination and improvisation quality, the same goes for Ronnie Tutt's drumming. He alternates his drumming style between straight-up R&R and a temporary "disco-ish" thing that didn't feel right. Because of not being familiar enough with the song. This is a PRO band, so they do pull it off. But it isn't quite accomplised as a live song, yet. Is there a "definitive" version on an audience recording? I would love to hear it then. I think they recorded it too soon for the Memphis live album. OR, it could be argued perhaps with more validity, Elvis should have rehearsed it more with the band in the days and/or weeks before the recording. There's even no version of it during the "rehearsal" concert from 2 days before (also released by FTD and by Legacy, of course). It would have been a perfect opportunity to do it there and then by the time the Memphis show rolled along, any unfamiliarities from the part of the musicians "could" have been straightened out.

I guess Elvis settled for less in 1974 than he did in 1969 or 1970. He could still be a perfectionist with songs he *really* cared about (like "How Great Thou Art") but usually not with rock 'n' roll songs. Bar some exceptions, like his striving for perfection with T-r-o-u-b-l-e in 1975 on the stage.
goldbelt wrote:My Baby Left Me, Heartbreak Hotel and Mystery Train, my favourite 50's tracks and each one loaded with atmosphere.

The 1974 concert versions of My Baby Left Me unfortunately come across as little more than a perfunctory run-through, as opposed to some of the renditions of Hotel and Train that followed in 1969 and the early 70's.

The 28th January 74 ms version of My Baby Left Me, featured on the FTD I Found My Thrill, (where he introduces it as one of his first records) starts promisingly. Memphis 1974 is a more determined and enjoyable version and perhaps the funky guitar work during the August opening night in Vegas helps improves it even more but ultimately they all miss the all important, atmosphere setting, opening drums and bass line.

Perhaps though, the 29th July loose rehearsal version from the TTWII rehearsals points to 1970 as a time when My Baby Left Me could have been slightly reworked to great effect.

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

skatterbrane wrote:Yeah she did, but I am talking about the song. Probably the most "Sun-like" RCA recording he ever made, and along with Mystery Train, my all time favorite:

Bodie requested this on our Elvis monthly night this Saturday; coincidently, I was saying how much Elvis sounded like he was at SUN. To me this is the perfect Elvis record - it's in my top 3 rockers - the other two being ALLC (album version) and Promised Land.

JUST FOR TODAY

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

James27 wrote:
I guess Elvis settled for less in 1974 than he did in 1969 or 1970. He could still be a perfectionist with songs he *really* cared about (like "How Great Thou Art") but usually not with rock 'n' roll songs. Bar some exceptions, like his striving for perfection with T-r-o-u-b-l-e in 1975 on the stage.
Just my opinion, but Elvis strive for perfection on T.R.O.U.B.L.E. came up quite short in 1975 concerts. These versions are very perfunctory. The master is so great and the live vocals don't come close.

James27

Post by James27 »

Well, your opinion is just as valid as mine, stevelecher. To be more precise, what I meant: I thought he got better "in" the song on the stage, the more he did it live, for one thing the rhythm and pronounciation of the words; but the single version remains, also for me, the best. So I was evaluating the progression of his live versions of this song, not so much live versus studio version(s). I think he ended up with credible live performances of this song, one of not that many highlights from his 1975 concerts, amongst Burning Love, Big Boss Man, Promised Land, How Great Thou Art, For The Good Times, My Boy, Bridge Over Troubled Water, I'm Leavin'. To be sure, most of these best versions still were no match for the better versions from earlier years. But compared to 1976, they were masterful. :|

Why do you prefer the album version of ALLC if I may ask, LesterB ? For a time, I thought that one was actually the single version, I think they got it mixed up on the Double Features cd, which was were I first heard it. A great track belonging IMO on any Elvis best-of rockers.

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

Topic author
skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

ALLC take 10 is the version that first appeared on the Almost In Love Camden LP. Take 16 is the original master which first appeared on the 45 single. Yes, the Double Features CD gets the two confused. And for some reason RCA/BMG/Sony has mistakenly used take 10 as the "lifetime" master on most of their compilation CDs. Even people who post on YouTube confuse the two versions. The 45 version is the one used in the movie. There is a YouTube where someone has edited it and used take 10 and imposed it on the movie scene. The two are very similar and easy to confuse, but the original master take 16 has "hey" in the intro.

This is NOT the original movie version, this is take 10 the ALBUM version:

THIS is the original movie version, the 45 version take 16:

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

skatterbrane wrote:ALLC take 10 is the version that first appeared on the Almost In Love Camden LP. Take 16 is the original master which first appeared on the 45 single. Yes, the Double Features CD gets the two confused. And for some reason RCA/BMG/Sony has mistakenly used take 10 as the "lifetime" master on most of their compilation CDs. Even people who post on YouTube confuse the two versions. The 45 version is the one used in the movie. There is a YouTube where someone has edited it and used take 10 and imposed it on the movie scene. The two are very similar and easy to confuse, but the original master take 16 has "hey" in the intro.

This is NOT the original movie version, this is take 10 the ALBUM version:

THIS is the original movie version, the 45 version take 16:

Track 5 on the double features is the version I am thinking of - which take is that please?

Just looked at the clips - it's take 16 that is track 5 I guess.

JUST FOR TODAY

brian

Post by brian »

Didn't Elvis copy Arthur Crudup's version?

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"

Post by Davelee »

brian wrote:Didn't Elvis copy Arthur Crudup's version?
Nearly....