Shake a Hand

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
lovin' EP

Shake a Hand

Post by lovin' EP »

One of my favorites. Elvis walked around the stage and shook hands. I wish I could find some video of this. I saw him do this in Asheviile on July 22, 1975 and Atlanta on June 6, 1976.

Elvisly,

Linda

stevelecher

Re: Shake a Hand

Post by stevelecher »

I didn't remember that he sang this in June 1976.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

So ... did you shake his hand, if you can?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

bajo

Post by bajo »

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Topic author
lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

drjohncarpenter wrote:So ... did you shake his hand, if you can?
LOLLOL. Doc, I did not shake his hand, but I love the song. If anyone has any video of Elvis shaking hands, PLEASE post it. Thanks.

Elvisly,

Linda

charroman

Post by charroman »

Recently got a Ruth Brown collection with I guess the original version ? A great song and performance from an almost forgotten vocalist with a long career. Along with Pledging My Love, Unchained Melody, Little Darlin, etc a period when Elvis was maybe digging back into his own record collection for inspiration

I often wonder if he toyed with other songs, r&b etc from the same era at home at the piano and what a potentially geat album that could have been. Picking overlooked or long forgotten gems was certainly a core skill that Elvis had with many examples of this in his career. Shake a Hand certainly a later studio and live highlight that I have always loved and a standout for me on the Today set. Love it when those horns break in and he takes the note high on the end plus the little quiver in the vocal on "be truthful to me".

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

charroman wrote:Recently got a Ruth Brown collection with I guess the original version ? A great song and performance from an almost forgotten vocalist with a long career. Along with Pledging My Love, Unchained Melody, Little Darlin, etc a period when Elvis was maybe digging back into his own record collection for inspiration

I often wonder if he toyed with other songs, r&b etc from the same era at home at the piano and what a potentially geat album that could have been. Picking overlooked or long forgotten gems was certainly a core skill that Elvis had with many examples of this in his career. Shake a Hand certainly a later studio and live highlight that I have always loved and a standout for me on the Today set. Love it when those horns break in and he takes the note high on the end plus the little quiver in the vocal on "be truthful to me".
Not sure if Ruth was the original or not but Faye Adams had the hit version. One of the better 70's tunes. I wish Elvis did more of these chestnuts than the lukewarm country covers he chose.

charroman

Post by charroman »

Darn it I'm gonna have to seek out some Faye Adams now! lol thanks for the info though

Could still be the basis of a good collection / set even now

Topic author
lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

I thought I'd post this from YouTube. It is not an actual "video" but it shows Elvis with a lot of fans. I think it's probably what I was thinking about as far as Elvis shaking hands. GREAT song. :D

Elvisly,

Linda

Christopher Brown

Post by Christopher Brown »

Boy, I'd give a lot to have a photo of myself shaking hands with Elvis on June 7, 1975. Surely, there's got to be one in somebody's collection of photos.

Christopher Brown

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Chris when is you remake book out...? And is there a remake of your first book, too..?

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

drjohncarpenter

lovin' EP wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:So ... did you shake his hand, if you can?
LOLLOL. Doc, I did not shake his hand, but I love the song. If anyone has any video of Elvis shaking hands, PLEASE post it. Thanks.

Elvisly,

Linda
Do you know the original hit by Faye Adams? It was a HUGE R&B hit, ten weeks at #1, and it's incredible.

The million-selling single clearly inspired Elvis, and was likely one of the major songs he enjoyed right after finishing high school, long before he ever recorded his version. One can imagine the 19 year-old digging "Shake A Hand" on WDIA Radio, as he drives around Memphis in his truck during the work day. And you can tell that the 1975 RCA Hollywood master almost exactly copies the original. You don't mess with a good thing.

Faye Adams with the Joe Morris Orchestra "Shake A Hand" (Herald 416, August 8, 1953)
Billboard R&B "National Best Sellers" and "Most Played in Juke Boxes" #1, September 19, 1953
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faye_Adams#Musical_career

Amazingly, Faye is still with us, at the age of 92! Keep on rockin', Ms. Adams!!

Faye Adams Shake A Hand.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

charroman wrote:Darn it I'm gonna have to seek out some Faye Adams now! lol thanks for the info though

You should. It does beat the Elvis version handily.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Absolutely agree. Fantastic! Thanks a lot, Doc!

drjohncarpenter

r&b wrote:
charroman wrote:Darn it I'm gonna have to seek out some Faye Adams now! lol thanks for the info though

Elvis' 1975 recording is pretty good, actually. But imagine if he had cut his cover in June 1968. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

Elvis' 1975 recording is pretty good, actually. But imagine if he had cut his cover in June 1968. ;-)
Yes it is. As I have stated once of the best of the 70's especially post 1973! Wow 1968? Can only imagine.

Christopher Brown

Post by Christopher Brown »

Hi Cisco: I'm hoping by June, it's taking a lot longer than I expected -- but I believe it'll be worth the wait. I'm still quite excited and believe (most) purchasers who still enjoy Elvis after 1973 will like it, too. The first book MAY have an update/be expanded depending upon how this second book does. However, that tour is SO well known with all but one show released (in varying lengths) on soundboard.

Christopher Brown

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Christopher Brown wrote:Hi Cisco: I'm hoping by June, it's taking a lot longer than I expected -- but I believe it'll be worth the wait. I'm still quite excited and believe (most) purchasers who still enjoy Elvis after 1973 will like it, too. The first book MAY have an update/be expanded depending upon how this second book does. However, that tour is SO well known with all but one show released (in varying lengths) on soundboard.
If you ever take into account to re-do your first book, too you can of course count on me again. I think you know this.
This 1975 tour is well known but it is also one of the best and you remember about those flawed audience recordings with the wrong ends. I do think all this might be interesting.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

drjohncarpenter

Gentlemen, please post on topic, or take this to PMs. "Shake A Hand" is a very cool number.

Thanks. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

bajo

Post by bajo »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I agree! I like the 75 recording too, and boy would it have suited him in '68. Regarding the Adams version, it drags a little too much to my taste. Elvis' pace suits the song better. But, that's just me!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

drjohncarpenter

bajo wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis' 1975 recording is pretty good, actually. But imagine if he had cut his cover in June 1968. ;-)
I agree! I like the 75 recording too, and boy would it have suited him in '68. Regarding the Adams version, it drags a little too much to my taste. Elvis' pace suits the song better. But, that's just me!
The tempo on the 1953 Faye Adams single seems to have been just right, given the massive chart, airplay and sales response it received. Elvis' is actually not much different as far as tempo.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

lovin' EP wrote:One of my favorites. Elvis walked around the stage and shook hands. I wish I could find some video of this. I saw him do this in Asheviile on July 22, 1975 and Atlanta on June 6, 1976.

Elvisly,

Linda

A very nice song indeed!

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Other versions recorded in 1953 after the original version by Faye Adams:

00-06-53 - Savannah Churchill (Decca 28836);
07-07-53 - Red Foley (Decca 28839);
00-07-53 - Fran Warren (MGM 11583).

colonel snow

drjohncarpenter

colonel snow wrote:Other versions recorded in 1953 after the original version by Faye Adams:

00-06-53 - Savannah Churchill (Decca 28836);
07-07-53 - Red Foley (Decca 28839);
00-07-53 - Fran Warren (MGM 11583).

colonel snow
Not a hit in the bunch. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.