Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
charroman
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Elvis & Connie Francis

Post by charroman »

I understand Connie Francis had many Elvis connections and recorded some of his songs. I am only just getting to hear many of her recordings for the first time and I wondered if she had met him and / or if there are photos of the two together? I do not recall her being mentioned in any of the books I have on Elvis nor if he ever mentioned her or had any of her albums or singles?... I suspect they would have been in similar circles in the 60's and I know she did appear in a couple of beach movies around 62-64 etc.

california boy
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Elvis & Connie Francis

Post by california boy »

Good Question.....i will wait for some info about it, sorry that i dont know.
Connie is a great singer, gotta have some of her LPs :)

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !

Topic author
charroman

Post by charroman »

california boy wrote:Good Question.....i will wait for some info about it, sorry that i dont know.
Connie is a great singer, gotta have some of her LPs :)

Recently picked this up at a good price. Not heard them all but what I have has been good so far and nice rock n roll covers. Liked her version of Heartbreak Hotel

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

According to an interview that Connie Francis did with classicbands.com she says she did meet Elvis.

She said she met him shortly after his mother died when he came to see her perform at the Sahara hotel in Las Vegas.

Nora Sivle
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Nora Sivle »

When I dona google search it came up with this...Could this be her?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FACT is not everything.....It is only what we can prove......REALITY is everything else.

Mister Mike
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Mister Mike »

Nora Sivle wrote:When I dona google search it came up with this...Could this be her?
No. It's Gloria Stavers, Editor-in-Chief of 16 Magazine (taken from her website).

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

charroman wrote:I understand Connie Francis had many Elvis connections and recorded some of his songs. I am only just getting to hear many of her recordings for the first time and I wondered if she had met him and / or if there are photos of the two together? I do not recall her being mentioned in any of the books I have on Elvis nor if he ever mentioned her or had any of her albums or singles?... I suspect they would have been in similar circles in the 60's and I know she did appear in a couple of beach movies around 62-64 etc.
Connie recorded for the MGM label and some of her work mirrors material we know Elvis recorded or played live:

My Happiness
Heartbreak Hotel
Tweedlee Dee
There's No Tomorrow
Come Back To Sorrento
Don't Be Cruel
Tennessee Waltz
Your Cheatin' Heart
(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)
Hearts Of Stone
I'm Movin' On
She'll Have To Go
I Really Don't Want To Know
He Thinks I Still Care
My Heart Cries For You

The one significant mention Elvis makes is on the May 1958 home tape at friend Eddie Fadal's Waco, Texas home. He gets girlfriend Anita Wood to sing Connie's hit, "Who's Sorry Now?" while he plays piano behind her, and talks about how this is the type of material she should be doing, rather than torchy ballads a la Julie London. Anita does a very nice job on it, too. They go through it a couple of times.

Connie says she "met him was shortly after his mother died," and they may've touched base again in 1970s, also in Las Vegas. She debuted at the Sahara Hotel on 9-06-1960, and played four weeks, this had to be when Presley saw her, in-between his work on "Flaming Star" and "Wild In The Country." Her MGM single "Mama" had been issued earlier that year. Francis was on a roll with hit records and movie roles, and would return to play there about twice a year, through most of the decade. In the early 1970s she moved to the Landmark Hotel.
What can you tell us about Elvis?

Well, I thought he was a gentleman. I thought he was a sweetheart. I thought he was surrounded by the wrong people who would be detrimental to him, and I told him that one day. The first time I met him was shortly after his mother died. He came to see me at the Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas. When I started to sing "Mama", he just started to cry and got up and left the theater. The next day he sent me two dozen yellow roses with an apology.

I want to go back to something you said about Elvis. Why did you think he was surrounded by the wrong people?

Well, they were yes men. They overlooked his excesses and the chemicals he was taking. For a Cadillac, they would say the right thing. I said, "God forbid that day comes that you die, Elvis. Red West is gonna write a bad book about you," and I was absolutely right.

Connie Francis Interview by Gary Francis (1997)
http://www.classicbands.com/ConnieFrancisInterview.html
She was one of the more lovely pop singers of the 1960s, here's what she looked like when Elvis saw her show at the Sahara:

610705_Connie Francis_Sahara Hotel_01.JPG
610705_Connie Francis_Sahara Hotel_02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Nora Sivle
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Nora Sivle »

Mister Mike wrote:
Nora Sivle wrote:When I dona google search it came up with this...Could this be her?
No. It's Gloria Stavers, Editor-in-Chief of 16 Magazine (taken from her website).
Thanks for your answer.

FACT is not everything.....It is only what we can prove......REALITY is everything else.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

Connie had a very good voice and I enjoy her work. I doubt if she called out Red West by name. :wink:

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

stevelecher wrote:Connie had a very good voice and I enjoy her work. I doubt if she called out Red West by name. :wink:

I, too, have my reservations about that second conversation.

But the first story, circa September 1960, rings true, right down to Elvis being so moved by hearing Connie Francis sing "Mama" that he had to leave in the middle of her performance.

Just listen to the song.

Connie Francis "Mama" (MGM 12878, February 1, 1960)
Billboard "Hot 100" #8, April 11, 1960, Cash Box "Top 100" #7, April 16, 1960
Recorded: August 25, 1959, EMI Studios, London

Mama
Cesare Andrea Bixio, Bruno Cherubini, Harold Barlow, Phil Brito

When the evening shadows fall
And the lovely day is through
Then with longing I recall
The years I spent with you

Mama, solo per te la mia canzone vola
Mama, sarai con me tu non sarai piu sola

Quanto ti voglio bene
Queste parole d'amore
Che ti sospira il mio cuore
Forse non si usano piu

Oh, Mama, ma la canzone mia piu bella sei tu
Sei tu la vita e per la vita non ti lascio mai piu

Safe in the glow of your love
Sent from the heavens above
Nothing can ever replace
The warmth of your tender embrace

Oh, Mama, until the day
That we're together once more
I'll live in these memories
Until the day that we're together once more

600201_MGM 12878.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama_(David_Whitfield_song)
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
charroman

Post by charroman »

Thanks all for the posts and I had not heard that song. I would understand how the lyrics would have been still very "raw" for Elvis at the time. A fine looking lady though and a great singer who appears to be remembered with affection by many. it seems they did meet and maybe a photo exists somewhere? was she ever considered for a role in an Elvis film? (thinking circa Girl Happy/VLV era would have been the natural point when it might have happened?)

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

charroman wrote:was she ever considered for a role in an Elvis film? (thinking circa Girl Happy/VLV era would have been the natural point when it might have happened?)
I haven't heard anything about her being considered or offered a role in an Elvis film.

Johnny 99
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Johnny 99 »

She has a lovely voice and probably the most sorrowful voice I've ever heard.

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)