"It Won't Be Long" from Double Trouble

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Pete Dube

Re: "It Won't Be Long" from Double Trouble

Post by Pete Dube »

As 60's Elvis movie pop-rockers go, it's ok. The bridge sounds a bit awkward to my ears.

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

The different mix of It Wont Be Long is certainly interesting and was well worth you highlighting.

My 2 favourite tracks from Double Trouble are Long Legged Girl and City By Night.

Topic author
xeccr20

Post by xeccr20 »

Did I read somewhere that Priscilla suggested Old MacDonald for the film?

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

Groovy little part between takes 1 and 2 of Long Legged Girl on the FTD where a brief Old Macdonald instrumental kinda morphs back into Long Legged Girl

Topic author
The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

xeccr20 wrote:Did I read somewhere that Priscilla suggested Old MacDonald for the film?
Not yet. But you will.

dennyelvis

Post by dennyelvis »

Sometimes u can rediscover the odd gem from the movies so I don't knock u for liking it, same thing happened to me years ago with "Ill be back" ......

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

california boy

Post by california boy »

Hi Juan
I really like this song, love the sound mix of the DF and of course on the great FTD label :)
Its an uptempo catchy number, one i sure can listen, thank you :)

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !

billyblues

Post by billyblues »

dennyelvis wrote:Sometimes u can rediscover the odd gem from the movies so I don't knock u for liking it, same thing happened to me years ago with "Ill be back" ......
I have a fond spot for I'll Be Back too! I really enjoyed it when I was a teenager (got it back in 2001 or so, on that double CD set of soundtracks - I think it was volume 2 of the Essential 60's Masters)... and I still do!

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

california boy wrote:Hi Juan
I really like this song, love the sound mix of the DF and of course on the great FTD label :)
Its an uptempo catchy number, one i sure can listen, thank you :)
You're welcome. Thanks for posting!

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

billyblues wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:Sometimes u can rediscover the odd gem from the movies so I don't knock u for liking it, same thing happened to me years ago with "Ill be back" ......
I have a fond spot for I'll Be Back too! I really enjoyed it when I was a teenager (got it back in 2001 or so, on that double CD set of soundtracks - I think it was volume 2 of the Essential 60's Masters)... and I still do!
The 'Command Performances' 2 disc set.

I'll Be Back is a decent track from the Spinout soundtrack and a cool closer number to the movie.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

stevelecher wrote:It's just lifeless and....ordinary. I feel sad for Elvis, listening to this.
fn2drive wrote:I sense a trend. Pick a song from bottom of the barrel and attempt to elevate it by false praise. Next up Old MacDonald-surely a classic. Indeed second only to the version waxed in 1952 by Miss Smith's kindergarten class-even Elvis couldnt best that version.
r&b wrote:The song isnt bad, but Elvis sounds bored and disengaged and on cruise control. It also sounds like the band & him are in separate rooms. Not a song I would play for a non-fan. Total mediocrity.
Your thoughts mirror mine, gentlemen.

r&b really nails this one. It's Elvis in June 1966, headed towards his lowest ebb as an artist (the upcoming "Easy Come, Easy Go" sessions in September being the nadir), sounding like he cannot wait to finish his chores and go home.

At this point he's not even allowed to use Radio Recorders any more (too expensive), and he's on the MGM soundstage, belting out soundtrack garbage. This may explain why the band sounds like they're in another room. What is truly striking is that almost all the musicians with him are the same men who backed him up on 1960's Elvis Is Back! sessions, and many other glorious moments. If the material is terrible, and the artist uninspired, not even Nashville's A-Team can save things.

Steve Morse wrote:I've always had a soft spot for "It Won't Be Long".

It comes almost as an afterthought on the DT album. It's a lazy, half-hearted, half-asleep performance from Elvis but that's almost its charm. The backing is infectious and I especially like the rolling drum/cymbal(?) noise in the background and the opening piano work.

This is one of those Elvis song titles that the Beatles also used. Two more are Tell Me Why and I'll Be Back - but in all 3 cases, different songs ! I am not in any way suggesting that the Beatles copied Elvis (in fact their songs probably preceded the Elvis titles).
Yes, all three titles you note were issued by the Beatles well before this forgettable, 1966 MGM soundtrack session, and all three are outstanding recordings, another major difference.

It Won't Be Long - recorded July 1963, issued November 1963
Tell Me Why - recorded February 1964, issued July 1964
I'll Be Back - recorded June 1964, issued July 1964

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:It's just lifeless and....ordinary. I feel sad for Elvis, listening to this.
fn2drive wrote:I sense a trend. Pick a song from bottom of the barrel and attempt to elevate it by false praise. Next up Old MacDonald-surely a classic. Indeed second only to the version waxed in 1952 by Miss Smith's kindergarten class-even Elvis couldnt best that version.
r&b wrote:The song isnt bad, but Elvis sounds bored and disengaged and on cruise control. It also sounds like the band & him are in separate rooms. Not a song I would play for a non-fan. Total mediocrity.
Your thoughts mirror mine, gentlemen.

r&b really nails this one. It's Elvis in June 1966, headed towards his lowest ebb as an artist (the upcoming "Easy Come, Easy Go" sessions in September being the nadir), sounding like he cannot wait to finish his chores and go home.

At this point he's not even allowed to use Radio Recorders any more (too expensive), and he's on the MGM soundstage, belting out soundtrack garbage. This may explain why the band sounds like they're in another room. What is truly striking is that almost all the musicians with him are the same men who backed him up on 1960's Elvis Is Back! sessions, and many other glorious moments. If the material is terrible, and the artist uninspired, not even Nashville's A-Team can save things.

Steve Morse wrote:I've always had a soft spot for "It Won't Be Long".

It comes almost as an afterthought on the DT album. It's a lazy, half-hearted, half-asleep performance from Elvis but that's almost its charm. The backing is infectious and I especially like the rolling drum/cymbal(?) noise in the background and the opening piano work.

This is one of those Elvis song titles that the Beatles also used. Two more are Tell Me Why and I'll Be Back - but in all 3 cases, different songs ! I am not in any way suggesting that the Beatles copied Elvis (in fact their songs probably preceded the Elvis titles).
Yes, all three titles you note were issued by the Beatles well before this forgettable, 1966 MGM soundtrack session, and all three are outstanding recordings, another major difference.

It Won't Be Long - recorded July 1963, issued November 1963
Tell Me Why - recorded February 1964, issued July 1964
I'll Be Back - recorded June 1964, issued July 1964
Elvis' 1957 "Tell Me Why" is better than the Beatles same title ,different song version. I like it much more.

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

I love Elvis so much more than the Beatles and I can't even believe you wrote that.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

stevelecher wrote:I love Elvis so much more than the Beatles and I can't even believe you wrote that.
I don't have to like more some songs than others popular view. I got sick of TMW by the Beatles. And the Beatles are my top five acts anyhow.