Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

I Want you with me

Post by Chucky99 »

Man, this song from the 1961 album, Something For everybody ,is just cool.It's fantastic.The opening, the sound,the phrasing,the voice , the bass and the drums....it is just perfect and the best song from the album...I wish Elvis recorded more songs like this one after 1961, with the 50s feeling in it.It just did not happen....that is a shame...
What do you think about the song, guys?

Juan Luis

Re: I Want you with me

Post by Juan Luis »

I like it a lot! There are moments when the 1950's rocker emerges, albeit briefly.

Fish
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Fish »

My personal opinion is that it should have been released as a single, coupled with There's Always Me.
It was kind of a return to form rocker and I am pretty sure that as a follow up to Little Sister, it would have been a smash.

Great song indeed and one that needs to be played out loud, the production value of this song (these sessions actually) is remarkable. For songs so old, they sound terrific. Especially on the FTD Something For Everybody.

Rocker
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by Rocker »

I agree, this is a great recording. I also love "Put the blame on me" very, very much.

The original was done by Bobby Darin if I'm not mistaken.

Well, hello there....

drghanem
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by drghanem »

To Juan Luis, the photo in your message is of Joan Deary, former RCA-employee in California. When she quit in the mid-1980´s there were rumours that several tapes disappeared. Food for thought!

"I´m limp as a rag, worn out when a show´s over". Elvis in Tacoma, fall 1957.
Long, Lonely Highway, by Ger Rijff (Tutti Frutti productions, 1985)

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

Everybody seems to love it but me. I just don't care for it. I love I Feel So Bad, which is the rocker they released from these sessions. I think they released the right song.

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

Definatly a favourite of mine, if only Elvis had continued recording a lot more like it.

I also really enjoy the Bobby Darin - thanks for posting Rocker - version too, but the Elvis one is tops for me.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Top notch and a sort of throw back to what Elvis meant to me in the 50's This is the only song from that album that had the feel of Elvis Is Back. I have the Darin version as well, but Elvis beats it by a mile. Sadly, this would be the last album track with this feel until 1969!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drghanem wrote:To Juan Luis, the photo in your message is of Joan Deary, former RCA-employee in California. When she quit in the mid-1980´s there were rumours that several tapes disappeared. Food for thought!
I know who she is. Don't give too much thought to rumours. Especially in the Elvis world with a "story" behind every outtake, soundboard released, or "escaped". Thanks.

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by matilda »

This song were the last time where he used or had his original 50s attacking vocal (although the choir disturbs me here a lot....too much in the foreground).
He used here his flat edgy rocking voice like in 1958. It could have been recorded in 1958.
The rockers that followed in the 60s (even the good ones had a different voice....but never again the 50s rocking voice).
So it amazed me that this recording is from 1961.

The piano solo is superb too.
Great song (but, as i said....the choir disturb me......not ruining the song like on in your arms......but still).

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

r&b wrote:Top notch and a sort of throw back to what Elvis meant to me in the 50's This is the only song from that album that had the feel of Elvis Is Back. I have the Darin version as well, but Elvis beats it by a mile. Sadly, this would be the last album track with this feel until 1969!
I have to agree. Elvis covered Darin just twice in the studio as far as I'm aware (this song and I'll Be There), and on both times he knocks Darin out of the water.

Bobby's version was recorded at a strange time in his career after the success of Splish Splash and before the recording of Mack the Knife and the rest of the That's All LP - a period of around eight months when he recorded lots, but very little of actual worth and was floundering around trying to repeat the success of Splash while actually wanting to be doing something completely different.

I want You With Me was recorded in July 1958, but not actually released until August or September 1960, when it appeared on a mop-up album called For Teenagers Only which was thrown together in an effort to placate Bobby's teenage audience in a year where he had recorded prolifically, but almost completely for the adult audience. There are a couple of interesting songs on the LP, but the fact that it was filled with stuff left in the vaults showed just how highly (or not, in this case) Bobby himself thought of it, and I Want You With Me no doubt sounded as clumsy to him as it does to us today.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Pete Dube »

Count me a fan of I Want You With Me. I think it would've been a better choice for the single over I Feel So Bad.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Chucky99 wrote:Man, this song from the 1961 album, Something For everybody ,is just cool.It's fantastic.The opening, the sound,the phrasing,the voice , the bass and the drums....it is just perfect and the best song from the album...I wish Elvis recorded more songs like this one after 1961, with the 50s feeling in it.It just did not happen....that is a shame...
The Bobby Darin cover is excellent, a jolt of energy on a very static LP of mostly genteel ballads. But it's not singles material.

Something For Everybody was another big hint to fans that Elvis' days of delivering excitement the way he did before the army were coming to an end.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chucky99 wrote:Man, this song from the 1961 album, Something For everybody ,is just cool.It's fantastic.The opening, the sound,the phrasing,the voice , the bass and the drums....it is just perfect and the best song from the album...I wish Elvis recorded more songs like this one after 1961, with the 50s feeling in it.It just did not happen....that is a shame...
The Bobby Darin cover is excellent, a jolt of energy on a very static LP of mostly genteel ballads. But it's not singles material.

Something For Everybody was another big hint to fans that Elvis' days of delivering excitement the way he did before the army were coming to an end.

Yes and he was still only just into his 26th year. Just goes to show how times have changed, more recent singers and groups wouldn't think of slowing down at that young age. Back then however everyone was saying, and had been for years, that rock'n'roll wouldn't last and until 1963/4 it looked like they were right. As such management persuaded Elvis that he had to branch into more 'adult' music. Just a shame he didn't revert back to exciting music in 1964.

rotis
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by rotis »

The song had a 50s feel to it because it was originally written and recorded by Bobby Darin on July 16th, 1958 for his 1st lp which was self-titled.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I have to agree, this is a terrific song. Even as a young boy in 1970's I would play this one often. Gosh, it would have been super if he had produced more and more songs like this. Great stuff! :smt020

rlj

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

rotis wrote:The song had a 50s feel to it because it was originally written and recorded by Bobby Darin on July 16th, 1958 for his 1st lp which was self-titled.
No, it was written by Woody Harris (although occasionally miscredited as a Darin composition), and recorded by Darin in July 1958 after the first album had been released. It was left in the vaults for over two years.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Great song. In my opinion this and Put A Blame on Me are the best songs of the SFE LP.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

Something for Everybody had some good songs it wasn't all bad.

I want you with me
Give me the right
put the blame on me
I'm coming home
Gently
There's always me

r&b

Post by r&b »

jurasic1968 wrote:Great song. In my opinion this and Put A Blame on Me are the best songs of the SFE LP.
100% agree. I also like Im Coming Home. The band is so tight on that one.

sitdown revamped
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by sitdown revamped »

I want you with me...wish he had done more like these...could have been a great show stopper in the seventies...

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Chris Roberts wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The Bobby Darin cover is excellent, a jolt of energy on a very static LP of mostly genteel ballads. But it's not singles material.

Yes and he was still only just into his 26th year. Just goes to show how times have changed, more recent singers and groups wouldn't think of slowing down at that young age. Back then however everyone was saying, and had been for years, that rock'n'roll wouldn't last and until 1963/4 it looked like they were right. As such management persuaded Elvis that he had to branch into more 'adult' music. Just a shame he didn't revert back to exciting music in 1964.
I'm sure a lot of fans felt very burned by his second studio album since the army being such a crashing bore. What happened to the R&B? Where did the fire go? If Elvis Is Back! rated 10 on a scale of 10, Something For Everybody was a 5.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Doc, after Something For Everybody came Pot Luck, and I believe this LP was weaker.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, after Something For Everybody came Pot Luck, and I believe this LP was weaker.
It was, considerably. However, the poor Doc does get a bit disgruntled in his old age when he comes across an album that doesn't have at least 50% rockers on it that he can dance around the living room to in his underwear when he's doing the vacuuming.

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

r&b wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Great song. In my opinion this and Put A Blame on Me are the best songs of the SFE LP.
100% agree. I also like Im Coming Home. The band is so tight on that one.
Yes, but the 50s edge is missing on im coming home.
Just a nice uptempo song...effortless delivered by elvis.

Put the blame on me i like because its has a very unusual chord structure....and elvis does justice to the lyrics.
Great song. No rock' n 'roll but an unusual and thats why interesting song for elvis.
It looked strange several years later in tickle me. But just because it seemed out of place and elvis pit more input in the recordingin 1961 than in the filmed lipsynched version.