Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"I BEG OF YOU"

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:54 am

Rose Marie McCoy's "I Beg Of You" was my favorite side of the 1957 "Don't" single. I discovered it while going through my mom's single collection when I was a kid. I appreciated the slow side "Don't" years later of course. It took quite a while for Elvis to get it right. It is very KOOl to listen to him working it out to no avail, on the great STEREO 57 release! In my opinion, Elvis and band finally nailed the master take (and arrangement) by slowing down, shuffling and speeding it up, all this in less than 2 minutes! I love it! Thoughts welcome on this rocker!

Last edited by Juan Luis on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Re: The other side of "Don't"

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:16 am

Both classics.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:25 am

I Beg Of You is awesome and I think the original master recording is the premier version of it. The rocking, rejected master was cool to hear when we first got it. I'm glad to have it in my collection but the reworked, softened master take was the right choice for record release all those years ago.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:26 am

Sentimental value copy I "discovered" at my old house.Image
Collection copy Image

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:02 am

Great song . Back in 1958 I liked it better than Don't . But I liked all of the "B " sides - Treat Me nice , and Doncha Think It's Time especially .

Re: "I BEG OF YOU"

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:49 am

I have always loved this song. Underrated as it may be, it is still a great rocker and it shows through the outtakes just how dedicated Elvis was to making a song work. It should always be included on Best Of albums.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:09 pm

I love both sides of that single. Great picture sleeve too.

I remember getting Essential Elvis 2- Stereo '57, and being blown away by the sound quality, and being able to hear Elvis working on these tracks in the studio.

It's been a favourite album of mine ever since.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:18 pm

One of the most cool 50's recordings.... the master is excellent,the outtakes in the other arrangement nice to hear... but the master: King of cool!!

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Love both sides, but Don't is one of my favorite Elvis songs of all time. I am probably in the minority here, but I prefer the Elvis ballad singer of the 50's over the 70's. The voice never did more than it had to for achieving an excellent performance. Don't is a perfect example and a perfect recording.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:16 pm

Always loved both songs !

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:59 pm

I think it is one of his top 10 best songs. Vocally at one of his peaks.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thank you Juan Luis for the nice video!.

I love this song, which was later included in one of Elvis´ greatest Rock´n´Roll lp ever: Elvis´ Gold Records Vol 2-50,000,000 Fans Can´t Be Wrong LPM-2075.

ep_elvis_.jpg

That said, I still prefer the A side Don´t which is one of the all-time greatest Elvis ballads! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:32 pm

I prefer the outtakes from early 1957. The finished master reminds me too much of Treat Me Nice, which remains a true favorite.

Don't is plain perfect.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:06 pm

One of my favourites.

I prefer the original version over the alternate.

I do love the alternate version though, first issued on the bootleg album ' The Jailhouse Rock Sessions' i believe, in not great quality.

One of the albums i bought in Memphis Aug' 1987 and a dealer who was selling the album in the Days Inn Hotel played the track for me and i still remember hearing a complete alternate version of 'I Beg Of You' for the first time. It was like falling in love.
It's great to be an Elvis fan.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:29 pm

I like the alternate master (take 12) better, probably because that's the first version of the song I heard as a kid on "Essential Elvis, Vol.2".

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:58 pm

I've always found it funny how the A & B sides, "Don't, I beg of you" and "One night I got stung" sort of fit together / make sense !

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Great rocker from 57, but for me, the alternate master tops the released version.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:48 pm

It's good to have the outtakes, but the master is my favorite.

MT

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:15 pm

That blues growl on "Hooooooold my hand and promise..." is a classic moment!

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:06 am

It's not one of my favourite Elvis songs from the 50s.

I think the originally released version is superior to the January 1957 one, although it's stunning to have all those takes in binaural. But I think the song itself is a bit lightweight, at least compared with 90% of Elvis' 50s output. Sounds to me like rock and roll by the numbers, and Elvis and the band don't appear especially inspired, except, as elvisalisellers noted above, for that fabulous moment at the beginning of the second bridge.

For me, "Don't" is the clear winner in the context of that single, and "Elvis' Gold Records - Volume 2" has at least two or three masterpieces more ("One Night", "A Fool Such As I"...), that were far more deserving of Elvis' incredible talent.

But, yes, the standard was very high, so it may be a bit unfair to disdain this title.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:35 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:That blues growl on "Hooooooold my hand and promise..." is a classic moment!
Right there! I even like when he pops the microphone in "hold my hand and promise"! Those p's LOL.