TOP 10 MOST COLLECTIBLE FTDs

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Hard Rocker

TOP 10 MOST COLLECTIBLE FTDs

Post by Hard Rocker »

Folks, as this the the Elvis CD Collectors' Forum, I was wondering what in your opinion would be the top 10 most valuable/collectible FTD CDs?
I'm speaking along the lines of the standard CD releases, as opposed to the books, etc. For example, I reckon Fame & Fortune and Silver Screen Stereo would be in there. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. :D

Topic author
Waylon75

Re: TOP 10 MOST COLLECTIBLE FTDs

Post by Waylon75 »

1. The Nashville Marathon
2. Memphis Sessions
3. Out in Hollywood
4. Silver Screen Stereo
5. Fame and Fortune
6.The Jungle Room Sessions
7. 6363 Sunset
8. Hot August Night
9. Elvis Presley (56 Album)
10. Blue Hawaii

the Love Me Tender and King Creole releases are pretty baller as well. Some of these aren't exactly valuable as they are still available, but they're soo goooooood.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

I would think the top two would be "A Boy from Tupelo" and "Fashion for a King" since their pressings were so limited.
Last edited by Mike C on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Mike C wrote:I would think the top two would be "A Bot from Tupelo" and "Fashion for a King" since their pressings were so limited.
It didn't take long! :)
Hard Rocker wrote: I'm speaking along the lines of the standard CD releases, as opposed to the books, etc.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Hard Rocker wrote:
Mike C wrote:I would think the top two would be "A Boy from Tupelo" and "Fashion for a King" since their pressings were so limited.
It didn't take long! :)
Hard Rocker wrote: I'm speaking along the lines of the standard CD releases, as opposed to the books, etc.
Sorry, if its the standard releases, then the list you have is pretty good. It picks up several early releases that are now deleted. One other one I would add is the first pressing of Elvis is Back.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Topic author
Stvimpe

Post by Stvimpe »

In random order. I try to explain a bit why I think they are valuable/collectible. My rule of thumb: tracks I like, song I think are great, and availability (for the collectors).

1. Long Lonely Highway: nice tracks from 60's - sold out now.
2. So High: Nashville Outtakes 66-68: 25 great outtakes - sold out now. A gem in the FTD-series.
3. Live at the International: superb show from Elvis' first Vegas stint. (Today, I prefer Hot August Night 1969, but Live at the International came first).
4. One Night In Vegas: OS Vegas august 1970, superb show - sold out. (The Wonder of You, august 13th Vegas 1970, is another great show but OS came first).
5. Memphis Sessions: great outtakes from From Elvis in Memphis & Back in Memphis - sold out. (Nowadays, I'd go for Classic Album edition of From Elvis in Memphis & Back in Memphis).
6. Nashville Marathon: great outtakes - sold out now (Nowadays, I'd go for That's The Way It Is Classic Album & Country Classic Album).
7. Elvis On Tour - The Rehearsals: great tracks, fly on the wall experience.
8. 6363 Sunset Boulevard: great tracks, outtakes from '72 & '75 studio recordings, live tracks from On Tour '72, sold out now.
9. Jungle Room Sessions: eyeopener for appreciating Elvis' last recordings.
10. Elvis is Back Classic Album.

11. Nevada Nights: OS Vegas 1974, last time El made a major change in his setlist. A pity the response he got was not what he hoped for, so he returned to a more 'routine' setlist).
12. Elvis Recorded Live on Stage in Memphis: full Memphis show 1974.
13. An awkward choice to end: Standing Room Only. I don't have it yet (I have Burning Love) because several people say the audio is so-so, but it is one hell of a collection of songs!

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Mike C wrote: Sorry, if its the standard releases, then the list you have is pretty good. It picks up several early releases that are now deleted. One other one I would add is the first pressing of Elvis is Back.
No worries Mike. Thanks for the input :)

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

I would also consider these "collectible" -->

Tucson '76 - error pressing with title spelled "Tuscon '76"

http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/ftd-label/tuscon76.htm

Wild In the Country - error pressing with name incorrectly spelled as "Elvis Presely"

http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/ftd-label/witc-compare.htm

ImageImageImage

Topic author
The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Rich_TCB wrote:I would also consider these "collectible" -->

Tucson '76 - error pressing with title spelled "Tuscon '76"

http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/ftd-label/tuscon76.htm

Wild In the Country - error pressing with name incorrectly spelled as "Elvis Presely"

http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/ftd-label/witc-compare.htm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it had been established that the corrected versions exist in smaller quantities than the original, incorrect, versions.

chop983

Post by chop983 »

What is so collectable about Elvis is back?

Topic author
Stvimpe

Post by Stvimpe »

chop983 wrote:What is so collectable about Elvis is back?
My opinion? Elvis is Back is considered one of Elvis' best records, and the FTD edition offers the original album, the singles taken from the sessions plus plenty (nearly all) outtakes of the recording sessions. Of course, I guess most of the material is available elsewhere, but it's nice to have it all together.

Then again, you may rightly question why I haven't listed FTD's Classic Album edition of 'Elvis Presley'. Personally, I even prefer 'Elvis Presley' above 'Elvis is Back'. But for me, the second disc of FTD's 'Elvis is Back' is more 'listenable' than the second disc of FTD's 'Elvis Presley' because it offers outtakes of more different songs. As much as I like Lawdy Miss Clawdy, I can't listen to 12 consecutive outtakes of it. But that's just personal. And if you like having all outtakes, then FTD's 'Elvis Presley' is highly recommendable and collectable. Different perspectives, different preferences, different choices. To each his own, it's no rocket science ;-)

Best wishes.
Last edited by Stvimpe on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The first version of Elvis Is Back is collectable. It has been slightly modified twice.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Just because a release is great, doesn't make it collectable. Clearly the releases that have been deleted from the catalogue have value, and perhaps some of the releases with errors that were later corrected, will have some value. All that said, at some point in the future, if FTD ceases to exist and all stock of the FTD catalogue is sold out worldwide, a lot of these releases will have supreme value in terms of collectability. That said, the real value is all the incredible music that has been produced since 1999; what a treasure for Elvis enthusiasts.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

midnightx wrote:Just because a release is great, doesn't make it collectable. Clearly the releases that have been deleted from the catalogue have value, and perhaps some of the releases with errors that were later corrected, will have some value. All that said, at some point in the future, if FTD ceases to exist and all stock of the FTD catalogue is sold out worldwide, a lot of these releases will have supreme value in terms of collectability. That said, the real value is all the incredible music that has been produced since 1999; what a treasure for Elvis enthusiasts.
Would you be willing to submit your top 10? I'd be genuinely interested and appreciative of your selections.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Stvimpe wrote:In random order. I try to explain a bit why I think they are valuable/collectible. My rule of thumb: tracks I like, song I think are great, and availability (for the collectors).
Thanks for the thoughtful contribution. Very interesting reading.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I'm sensing we are listing the 5" inch releases. My list would include in no particular order:

1 - From Hawaii to Las Vegas
2 - From Sunset to Vegas
3 - The Wonder of You
4 - Tucson 76
5 - One Night in Vegas
6 - The Jungle Room Sessions
7 - Elvis on Tour
8 - Another Saturday Night
9 - All Shook Up
10 - Dixieland Delight

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Just to repeat... I am not asking for personal faves! I would like opinions on the MOST COLLECTIBLE!

Thank you.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Hard Rocker wrote:Just to repeat... I am not asking for personal faves! I would like opinions on the MOST COLLECTIBLE!

Thank you.
I tried to that with my list. If you are in search of a reason why each show is "most collectable" I can do that. However, even with a strict guideline you will end up with a large pool of suggestions.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

A large pool of suggestions is good! Reasons are great! :D

Thanks for your input.

Topic author
Waylon75

Post by Waylon75 »

After a bit of thought, I don't think any will be very collectible. I've seen a lot of deleted copies on ebay and such for crazy prices, but they've been there for a long time and most likely won't sell. I personally own every FTD, I'm just an Elvis freak though. Many friends who are fans downloaded every one of em. The music is out there and always will be. CD's are an almost dead technology. Just don't see em being worth a lot in the future and this is coming from a guy who buys every one when they're released! haha

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Hard Rocker wrote:Just to repeat... I am not asking for personal faves! I would like opinions on the MOST COLLECTIBLE!

Thank you.
Surely the promotional sampler CD, the Nipper logo'd "Elvis Is Back!", along with the unedited Nevada Nights?

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Standard releases only. No promos etc.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Waylon75 wrote:After a bit of thought, I don't think any will be very collectible. I've seen a lot of deleted copies on ebay and such for crazy prices, but they've been there for a long time and most likely won't sell. I personally own every FTD, I'm just an Elvis freak though. Many friends who are fans downloaded every one of em. The music is out there and always will be. CD's are an almost dead technology. Just don't see em being worth a lot in the future and this is coming from a guy who buys every one when they're released! haha
What you are saying is true up to a point, although I suspect these are collectible in the same way as rare/old vinyl. People will buy them as collectibles, and not necessarily as a listening medium.

And yes, I agree that there are some which can be picked up easily, but there are certainly others which carry a certain cache and seem to be much more in demand, are more collectible, harder to find, and are thus pricier. My query remains: In the opinion of the good people from the FECC forum, what are the ten most collectible FTDs?

Eggrert

Post by Eggrert »

midnightx wrote:Just because a release is great, doesn't make it collectable. Clearly the releases that have been deleted from the catalogue have value, and perhaps some of the releases with errors that were later corrected, will have some value. All that said, at some point in the future, if FTD ceases to exist and all stock of the FTD catalogue is sold out worldwide, a lot of these releases will have supreme value in terms of collectability. That said, the real value is all the incredible music that has been produced since 1999; what a treasure for Elvis enthusiasts.
Well said. I think we really need to define what's meant by "collectible" before we can answer the question.

Topic author
Waylon75

Post by Waylon75 »

What qualifies as a collectible FTD? they were all limited to the same amount, weren't they? Is the older version of "Girl Happy" more collectible than the newer one?