Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Elvis and Joyce Bova - Reissued/Updated Book

Post by brian »

PiersEIN wrote:
brian wrote:The EIN interview didn't ask Joyce Bova very much and she didn't really go into much detail.
To me a disappointing interview.
What questions would you like me to ask her?
(Not too rude please!)
EIN fan club members submitted questions they would like me to ask - and I passed them on.

Cheers
Piers
I would have wanted to ask her about the claims she made about being pregnant with Elvis' child but maybe she wouldn't want to get into that.

At the very least I would have asked her more in depth questions about her relationship with Elvis.
At least have the interview be more on the level of the interviews EIN did with Lamar and Sonny.

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yet another reason why that site is a waste of time.
Come on.. John...it isn't that bad..many interesting interviews..always up to date...wealths of infos..and great articles..I have it in my faves since I use the internet..say..15 years..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Yet another reason why that site is a waste of time.
Come on.. John...it isn't that bad..many interesting interviews..always up to date...wealths of infos..and great articles..I have it in my faves since I use the internet..say..15 years..
You are a hypocrite, Joachim. When you refuse to accept perfectly valid points in a discussion, you do so by posting over and over again that you are a "facts man." Yet you now defend a website that has hundreds of factual errors and misattributed (and pilfered) images? Your credibility is greatly diminished by such hypocrisy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

John...I have noticed the past few months ..you tell us.. which songs have to be good and bad..which shows have to be good and bad..which takes have to be good and bad..which releases have to be good and bad...which books have to be good and bad...which guys from Elvis surroundings have to be good and bad..which Elvis websites have to be good and bad..which articles about Elvis have to be good and bad....believe it or not..there are guys out there like me who have an opinion of their own..and who decide by themselves what is good or bad...I like this site vey much cause it keeps me always up to date ..has many infos and great interviews with interesting people from the Elvis scene..no hypocrite..like you call me..the Elvis website which is flawless when it comes to facts and dates has yet to be invented..even mine has bugs now cause I dont have updated it for a while now..new dates will be found in Sessions 4.... :wink: ....

I forgot to add..you could also be a bit more friendly..try it.. :D

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

PiersEIN
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by PiersEIN »

brian wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:
brian wrote:The EIN interview didn't ask Joyce Bova very much and she didn't really go into much detail.
(Not too rude please!)
EIN fan club members submitted questions they would like me to ask - and I passed them on.

Cheers
Piers
I would have wanted to ask her about the claims she made about being pregnant with Elvis' child but maybe she wouldn't want to get into that.

At the very least I would have asked her more in depth questions about her relationship with Elvis.
At least have the interview be more on the level of the interviews EIN did with Lamar and Sonny.
Hi Brian,
As you can understand I don't think it particularly sensitive to probe any woman about her pregnancy from decades ago.
YES, she wrote about it in her book but it is still a sensitive issue. (and fans can read the details in the book)
I started to go down that line of questioning - as I am sure you could see - with "Knowing what an intimate relationship Elvis had with you, are you not surprised that no other Elvis children exist apart from Lisa Marie?"

But she didn't want to go any further.

Joyce also got pretty emotional and upset during the interview over wishing she could have done more for Elvis.
There is no doubt that her story and affair with Elvis is genuine, and one has to be sensitive when talking or questioning to Elvis acquaintances.

FYI - I also asked her more about being in the studio (knowing that FECC readers would like that) ie Was she present for 'Merry Christmas Baby'? - but she couldn't remember as it was all a bit overwhelming being in the studio and being asked to write down lyrics etc.
I'm sure we'd feel the same.

Seriously I am doing a follow-up interview so if you or drjohncarpenter want to send me a few questions you would like asked I have no issue with that.
While DOC thinks EIN is "a waste of time" I don't see too many other Elvis websites publishing new interviews or offering FECC members to send in their questions.
Nor do I see any interviews by him at all.

Finding new Elvis connections to interview takes time and a lot of patience. I'm sorry you were disappointed.

Cheers
Piers

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

TheMaskedClown wrote:I enjoyed EINs interview with Joyce but they could have asked her more probing questions. The MM have written that she was no one more important to Elvis than the other girls he saw at the time and that she only met him a few times. I also read that she made a big deal of the donut shop in Washington but no one has corroborated it and Priscilla was still at Graceland when Joyce says Elvis asked her to move in. This wouldn't have been like Elvis if he'd hardly knew her. I don't believe her story about being pregnant to Elvis but I liked her interview.
Thanks.
As you can see, If you have any good follow-up questions I will be happy to pass them on.
Re "more probing questions" Joyce was pretty emotional & upset while I was talking with her, I had to be a little sensitive.
PS - I have no doubt that the pregnancy story is true. She was a very "straight laced" government worker and the whole thing was very traumatic for her.

AS for Priscilla at Graceland - well it was Christmas 71 that Priscilla told Elvis she was leaving, she was already playing around with Mike Stone and Elvis was obviously well-protected by his MM mates and was clever 'playing the field.'
I think it is very believable timing-wise.
After all, it also wasn't long before Linda Thompson became the permanent girlfriend, so I guess had Joyce Bova quit her job for Elvis she might have ended up in Graceland and taken Linda's place in the Elvis legacy.

If you have any (sensitive!) probing question you'd like me to ask I would be happy to.

Cheers
Piers

brian

Post by brian »

PiersEIN wrote:
brian wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:
(Not too rude please!)

Cheers
Piers

Hi Brian,
As you can understand I don't think it particularly sensitive to probe any woman about her pregnancy from decades ago.
YES, she wrote about it in her book but it is still a sensitive issue. (and fans can read the details in the book)
I started to go down that line of questioning - as I am sure you could see - with "Knowing what an intimate relationship Elvis had with you, are you not surprised that no other Elvis children exist apart from Lisa Marie?"

Joyce also got pretty emotional and upset during the interview over wishing she could have done more for Elvis.
There is no doubt that her story and affair with Elvis is genuine, and one has to be sensitive when talking or questioning to Elvis acquaintances.

FYI - I also asked her more about being in the studio (knowing that FECC readers would like that) ie Was she present for 'Merry Christmas Baby'? - but she couldn't remember as it was all a bit overwhelming being in the studio and being asked to write down lyrics etc.
To me if she is going to be all ''emotional'' 45 years later and not want to answer any questions beyond the very basic ones you asked then it's not worth interviewing her.

I know what Joyce Bova said in her book about her pregnancy but that's not what I'd ask her.

It's sounds like she's just using you and your site to do a quick plug of her book but she doesn't really want to answer any questions in return.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

brian wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:
brian wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:
(Not too rude please!)

Cheers
Piers

Hi Brian,

To me if she is going to be all ''emotional'' 45 years later and not want to answer any questions beyond the very basic ones you asked then it's not worth interviewing her.

I know what Joyce Bova said in her book about her pregnancy but that's not what I'd ask her.

It's sounds like she's just using you and your site to do a quick plug of her book but she doesn't really want to answer any questions in return.
At least she can remember something!!! :D
Trying to interview Elvis' musicians for instance about key sessions where their memories are just a blur is even harder and damn frustrating.

I have been trying to contact her for a while, her new book coming out was the key to finding her.
Saying, "if she is going to be all ''emotional'' 45 years later and not want to answer any questions beyond the very basic ones" is pretty harsh comment to make about woman of 70.
Perhaps you'd like to make an ol' gal cry just for an internet interview - but that seems a little nasty to me.

So what "more in depth questions about her relationship with Elvis" do you want me to ask?

Cheers
Piers

Rock Legend
Suspended for one week
Suspended for one week
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Rock Legend »

I find the tone about the EIN Bova interview a bit unfortunate. I think Piers got out of her as much as he could. Some of you seem to think that you can just push on a button and all this great information starts flowing out of the interviewee..... Well, not so. I have done my fair share of interviews. The fact that someone is willing to do an interview, doesn't automatically mean that they want to share much info. They may have valid reasons not to do so.

When doing an interview, many factors come into play, including chemistry between the two parties. Believe me, it's not that easy.

Another thing: I don't get the lack of gratitude. You are getting these interviews for free. You are not asked to sign up, you are not asked to pay anything... you are getting them for free with no conditions whatsoever. Piers is putting a lot of effort in these interviews. From personal experience I know that it's hours & hours of work.

C'mon folks, be a bit kinder.

brian

Post by brian »

Piers got more out of Sonny West, Lamar Fike and Marty Lacker than he got out of Joyce Bova.
I can picture Lamar crying afterwards.

brian

Post by brian »

Rock Legend wrote:Another thing: I don't get the lack of gratitude. You are getting these interviews for free. You are not asked to sign up, you are not asked to pay anything... you are getting them for free with no conditions whatsoever. Piers is putting a lot of effort in these interviews. From personal experience I know that it's hours & hours of work.

C'mon folks, be a bit kinder.
It's not a lack of gratitude it's just my opinion that I was hoping and expecting more.
If Joyce Bova doesn't want to answer any questions that's her right but it's disappointing.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

PiersEIN wrote: I have been trying to contact her for a while, her new book coming out was the key to finding her.
Saying, "if she is going to be all ''emotional'' 45 years later and not want to answer any questions beyond the very basic ones" is pretty harsh comment to make about woman of 70.
Perhaps you'd like to make an ol' gal cry just for an internet interview - but that seems a little nasty to me.
You're spot on with that last comment. I think there are too many fans - and I'm not just talking about Elvis fans here - who feel somehow that they are entitled to know anything and everything about their favourite artist. The simple fact is - they aren't.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

The Pirate wrote:
PiersEIN wrote: I have been trying to contact her for a while, her new book coming out was the key to finding her.
You're spot on with that last comment. I think there are too many fans - and I'm not just talking about Elvis fans here - who feel somehow that they are entitled to know anything and everything about their favourite artist. The simple fact is - they aren't.
THANKS Pirate -
and I have offered several times for Brian to give me his extra interview questions (& drjohncarpenter) which I will happily pass on to Joyce Bova if appropriate.
What more can I offer ?? .

Cheers
Piers

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Liverbobs »

Will the Itunes download be available in the UK? I've looked but can't find it.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

brian

Post by brian »

The Pirate wrote:
That's never been my point or what I think.

By the way I didn't mean to make Joyce Bova cry or to hurt Piers feelings.

It's not worth crying over.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

PiersEIN wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
THANKS Pirate -
and I have offered several times for Brian to give me his extra interview questions (& drjohncarpenter) which I will happily pass on to Joyce Bova if appropriate.
What more can I offer ?? .

Cheers
Piers
Without taking sides in the, uh, dispute, you asked what people would like to hear from her. My two cents

Ask what YOU want to know, not questions from a submitted list. I think a subject responds more to an interviewer's personal interest in them. People really do like to talk about themselves so start with something she's anxious to share. Get the interview rolling so maybe she wants to open up. She wouldn't have written and then revised her book if she was sick of it all. She wrote it for the bucks, after all, not for "history."

But start out by letting her talk freely about herself. And THEN, drop the puffball questions and ask what you really want to know.

She could walk out, so that's why you save that for last and give it a shot.

If you ask hard questions before others you'd like answered, it's ruined. If you save it for last, you still have a good interview.

As I said, just my two cents.

I know what I would want to ask. And it would be very near the end so she's warmed up to you. You could try. (She described him mainlining a strong controlled substance with the assistance of some sort of doctor. And then asked her to dispose of the works. Only thing I want to ask - that's it. Not easy, but she wrote about it.)

rjm
P.S. - I liked the Doc's post for the very nice things he said about Elvis in the first part of the post. (At the end, he got in a shot because of the uncredited photographs and so forth. Yes, you surely have a lot of good interviews and reviews on the site. But some material appeared elsewhere originally.)

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by ORION »

Piers - I respect your integrity in interviewing Joyce. We all know the 'choice' she made back in '71. Even though that's 40+ years ago, it's a choice that haunts many women for the rest of their lives. Look at the protests, debates, the making of and breaking of political careers over stances on the issue. I am sure her emotion is genuine - whether it be guilt, shame, anger, you name it. I applaud you for getting her to sit for an interview, and while you opened the door for her to discuss things, it was classy of you not to push and pry that lid open. For as much as some folks would like to know more details, it's really none of our damn business just because we've watched some movies, attened some concerts, or spent money for his music.

mbova
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by mbova »

Joyce Bova has a Facebook page if you would like to get in contact with her, but if you are disrespectful you will be blocked.

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

mbova wrote:Joyce Bova has a Facebook page if you would like to get in contact with her, but if you are disrespectful you will be blocked.

Yes, I'm one of the accepted frienda on FB. I once asked if the donut shop story was true, "She quickly responded, that yes, it happened just as I wrote it".

davide

Post by davide »

Just a few weeks ago both my daughter and myself spent a wonderful evening and meal with Joyce, Mark Joyce's husband, and her twin sister Janice. They were so friendly and Joyce told me some wonderful stories. We had a great Italian meal, where all the staff came over to say hello. I held and put on the ring Elvis gave Joyce, which was cool.
They were very kind at the end of the evening to take us back to the address that we were staying at on the other side of town.

Her new ebook is highly recommended!

Davide

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes i just bought 3 weeks ago and it arrived today.Its completely up dated (even including a covid chapter)
I understand her reasons for leaving and the worry when friends of her reported about College Park 74' and she snuck in to see the 25th August 74' D/S then last saw Elvis's shows on 20th August 1975 and left really shocked at the deteriation.Its a very detailed book and i will read it over the weekend.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

I have read a lot of the book now and wow! Its just filled with 'stress' about constant pills and brief visits and after 2 years of it i can understand why joyce left as it was getting out of hand and ridiculous- certainly NOT a pleasant or a relaxing read!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

I completed reading the book and the first chapters are the most pleasant and as time goes on Elvis's demands that she flies to see him (whenever it suits Elvis) are extremely harsh (as she was already getting into trouble taking too much time off from her job) and the injection during the November tour ( i bet was Demerol) and the constant pills and mood changing small wonder she left.

You Don't Know Me!