Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

The Pirate

Re: Elvis In Hi-Res Audio (24/96)

Post by The Pirate »

Scoobie wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
The Pirate wrote:Unless it's a truly randomised blind test, all you are hearing is what you want to hear. "Choose the wrong people"? Jesus, that's a bit egotistical, isn't it? I posted an extract from a paper here once before, and I wish I could find it again. The people who were tested included musicians and audio technicians, but it looks as if they left out the most important category. The Elvis fans.
I agree that if someone play me a track....I would have no idea if its hq mp3/flac or hi-res just by listening to the song.
Its when comparing 1 on 1 that it can be possible to hear the difference.
The best way to test....maybe..would be to take a song and use the first half as cd quality wth the second half with hi-res merge them into 1 track and play the track with hi res compatible player and headset.
This way the listener would be in the "music mode" without have to skip/ find track when comparing.
I dont know if that made any sense lol
Anyway I really have mixed feelings about the hi-res format so I wouldnt recommend anyone to invest in player&headset and files
Actually, that would be easy to do. One could use Audacity to create a song in 3 segments, .mp3, CD quality and High Res. Make a note of the transition points in seconds, then see if anyone can identify one from the other. See if they can identify the transitions correctly... hmmm In Audacity this would be simple to generate.... I might even give it a go!!
And it would be very easy to cheat, by analyzing the file. Which I guarantee many would do, to try and prove a point.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

The Pirate wrote:Unless it's a truly randomised blind test, all you are hearing is what you want to hear. "Choose the wrong people"? Jesus, that's a bit egotistical, isn't it? I posted an extract from a paper here once before, and I wish I could find it again. The people who were tested included musicians and audio technicians, but it looks as if they left out the most important category. The Elvis fans.
If you cannot get the message across correctly on how the test was done, how is the reader meant to know that the tests were done using a certain criteria of people - professional musicians etc against any old Tom, Dick or Harry. You were obviously disappointed that you were not chosen in this sample group, especially as you are a fan too. Personally, I like hearing what works for me. It's no big deal.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

davide
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by davide »

And here is an interesting article regarding cd vs vinyl - I did not know the following for instance :
http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162
In the rush to get into the vinyl game, Lyman — who not only masters recordings but also cuts the master lacquer disc that is sent to the vinyl pressing plant — says a lot of corners are getting cut. In the 1960s and '70s, when artists were recording specifically for vinyl, they recorded and mixed to fit the confines of the medium, he explains. They kept sides below 20 minutes, and put loud songs on the outside tracks and quiet ones toward the center to account for the natural deterioration of sound that occurs when the needle gets closer to the middle of the LP.

Davide

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

davide wrote:And here is an interesting article regarding cd vs vinyl - I did not know the following for instance :
http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162
In the rush to get into the vinyl game, Lyman — who not only masters recordings but also cuts the master lacquer disc that is sent to the vinyl pressing plant — says a lot of corners are getting cut. In the 1960s and '70s, when artists were recording specifically for vinyl, they recorded and mixed to fit the confines of the medium, he explains. They kept sides below 20 minutes, and put loud songs on the outside tracks and quiet ones toward the center to account for the natural deterioration of sound that occurs when the needle gets closer to the middle of the LP.

Davide
Yes, and when the recent vinyl versions of the mono and stereo Beatles albums were being prepared, all of that had to be taken into account. It's now possible to compensate for those distortions and the new vinyl LPs are actually capable of sounding better on some peoples systems than the originals. Obviously the better and more accurate your turntable, the more chance you have of getting a good sound from start to finish, but using a cheaper system they can now make vinyl which ought to sound consistent from the first track to the last.

Lohmax
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Lohmax »

Way Down in The Jungle Room is now available in HiRes, along with some other albums featuring bonus material.

Image Image Image

Will
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Will »

Lohmax wrote:Way Down in The Jungle Room is now available in HiRes, along with some other albums featuring bonus material.

I see these other albums now have bonus songs added compared to last years versions.....I have all the HD albums but reluctant to buy again for these bonus songs

Topic author
LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Will wrote:
Lohmax wrote:Way Down in The Jungle Room is now available in HiRes, along with some other albums featuring bonus material.

I see these other albums now have bonus songs added compared to last years versions.....I have all the HD albums but reluctant to buy again for these bonus songs
Yeah but it might be the only way for you to get songs like "I'm Leavin'" in 24/96 :facep:

Will

Post by Will »

What I find interesting is that Sony Legacy are releasing things like Charley Pride and Skeeter Davis in 24/192 and not Elvis......other than making us buy and buy again I have a feeling these will be next....and yes you can hear the difference I have Dean Martins Italian Love songs in 96 and 192 and its easy to hear.

Lohmax
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Lohmax »

Yeah but it might be the only way for you to get songs like "I'm Leavin'" in 24/96 :facep:
You can buy the tracks individually. However, they are so expensive that one is tempted to buy the whole album all over again...which is most likely the way they want it.

Image Image Image

Topic author
LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Lohmax wrote:
You can buy the tracks individually. However, they are so expensive that one is tempted to buy the whole album all over again...which is most likely the way they want it.
No you cant,it says "album only" (unless other services sells the tracks individually)

http://www.hdtracks.co.uk/elvis-now

emjel

Post by emjel »

Qobuz seem to be doing these extended versions on a track only basis. £2.69 for hi Res.

~

Will

Post by Will »

emjel wrote:Qobuz seem to be doing these extended versions on a track only basis. £2.69 for hi Res.
mmmmmmmm Whats a boy to do????

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Scoobie »

Hmmm I will have to check this out, thanks for raising it Will...

ep1977
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by ep1977 »

I listened to way down in the jungle room in a Apple store on a ipod touch with beats solo 2 headphones, I have to say it sounded amazing, even better than my system at home ! Would that have been Hi-Res ?

emjel

Post by emjel »

ep1977 wrote:I listened to way down in the jungle room in a Apple store on a ipod touch with beats solo 2 headphones, I have to say it sounded amazing, even better than my system at home ! Would that have been Hi-Res ?
Doubtful as iTunes aren't doing Hi Res at the moment, unless Apple have got it from elsewhere and are using it for demo purposes, but I assume you listened via iTunes.

~

GroovinGarrett
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by GroovinGarrett »

Will wrote:What I find interesting is that Sony Legacy are releasing things like Charley Pride and Skeeter Davis in 24/192 and not Elvis......other than making us buy and buy again I have a feeling these will be next....and yes you can hear the difference I have Dean Martins Italian Love songs in 96 and 192 and its easy to hear.
I *think* it is because most of the EP high-resolution releases are based on Vic Anesini's 2007 masterings, which were 96/24.

djc45
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by djc45 »

Could someone who has bought the 70s album collection tell me if it downloads with the individual covers etc. and will it recognised as different albums on the HDD when the amp sees the tracks, or do I need to sort the tracks to different folders and drop each cover image in manually.

Also, I see qobuz have the collection at 24/96 for £100 but that Onkyo music, who admittedly are a little cheaper are showing the resultion as Flac 16/44 at £75. Is that correct, is the set available in 2 different resolutions, or is one of the sites wrong?

I’d rather drop the extra £25 for the 24/96, but only if I have to.

Marc Haegeman
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marc Haegeman »

djc45 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:25 am wrote:Could someone who has bought the 70s album collection tell me if it downloads with the individual covers etc. and will it recognised as different albums on the HDD when the amp sees the tracks, or do I need to sort the tracks to different folders and drop each cover image in manually.

Also, I see qobuz have the collection at 24/96 for £100 but that Onkyo music, who admittedly are a little cheaper are showing the resultion as Flac 16/44 at £75. Is that correct, is the set available in 2 different resolutions, or is one of the sites wrong?

I’d rather drop the extra £25 for the 24/96, but only if I have to.
I downloaded it from Qobuz some time ago and all the files have the same cover. You will need to sort them out manually. Great collection, even if the albums don't have the bonus songs as in the newer releases.
No idea about any differences with the Onkyo collection.