Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Elvis In Hi-Res Audio (24/96)

Post by LSP-4445 »

Many new Elvis HD audio albums has been released in the last few days...and I cant wait to listen to the TODAY release in this format.
Here are all or almost all available from HDtracks.com and qobuz.com.
Some are only available on HDTracks and others only on Qobuz.
For information the studio master of Suspicious Minds is 98 mb in hi-res and approx 45-50 mb in standard flac.
Any other sites around the world that could have additional titles?
When new releases are out please tell :smt020
HDtracks.com
qobuz.com
Last edited by LSP-4445 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Re: Elvis In Hi-Res Audio (24/96)

Post by Will »

Like you I very much look forward to hearing the Today album in HD which I purchased this morning........all the above I have and I must admit its like revisiting Elvis from a new view point having these in HD.......Have a great weekend listening to the Kings last full studio album, to me its an uderated album

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Scoobie »

I purchased "Flaming Star" today... Those tracks sound great in HD.
It is amazing that we are so well supplied with HD these days, just amazing.
I am so glad to have made the switch from CD to computer file driven audio, it is as bigger a change to the way I listen to music than CD was in the 80's love it!!!!

Topic author
LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

If only FEIM and TTWII would be released in HI_RES then I would be happy :)

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

LSP-4445 wrote:If only FEIM and TTWII would be released in HI_RES then I would be happy :)
I am sure this is coming, only yesterday "From Memphis to Vegas / From Vegas to Memphis" was released on HD tracks yesterday. USA licence only at the moment! but I bet it will not be long until it gets a European licence.
More will follow TTWII and FEIM hopefully.

rollinson1
Registered for: 21 years

Post by rollinson1 »

Scoobie wrote:I purchased "Flaming Star" today... Those tracks sound great in HD.
I am so glad to have made the switch from CD to computer file driven audio, it is as bigger a change to the way I listen to music than CD was in the 80's love it!!!!
Hi Scoobie

Do you get a digital booklet with information on the music as follows

1) Information on original album.
2) Were and what masters were used.
3) How the hd tracks were created from masters.

or do you just get a folder file of the front cover?

Thanks Paul

ELVIS PRESLEY - THE MOST UNDERRATED, UNDERUSED, WASTED TALENT OF ALL TIME

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

rollinson1 wrote:
Scoobie wrote:I purchased "Flaming Star" today... Those tracks sound great in HD.
Hi Scoobie

Do you get a digital booklet with information on the music as follows

1) Information on original album.
2) Were and what masters were used.
3) How the hd tracks were created from masters.

or do you just get a folder file of the front cover?

Thanks Paul

Paul, so far, with all my HD purchases I just got the front cover in as a .jpg called which I renamed as "folder" so it is then used as the front cover artwork by the control app.
Some HD items say "Digital Booklet included" but I don't have those yet...

Claus

Post by Claus »

You do get booklets for some releases but not all. Only a few Elvis releases have booklets included.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

So how does this work, what's needed to play this in HD through your system?
Does my harman kardon audio set qualify?
It does have a blu ray player.. Thanks for the advice guys, it sounds pretty cool to build up a HD elvis audio collection...

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Robert wrote:So how does this work, what's needed to play this in HD through your system?
It does have a blu ray player.. Thanks for the advice guys, it sounds pretty cool to build up a HD elvis audio collection...
The good news your amplifier and speakers do not have to be "HD" just the playback device.
The playback device can be either a dedicated HD streamer (as made by Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Naim, Sonos, Blue Sound and so on) or a computer either Apple Mac or windows.

The whole premise is that you will now be playing digital files instead of CD's.

They key thing is to ensure your playback device can play the correct file types:

1) FLAC at 24 bit up to 192 kHz.
2) Apple Lossless 24 bit up to 96 kHz.
3) DSD single rate, DSD quad rate and DSD 8 rate.

DSD is actually the same files as found on the SACD format.

Nearly all of the Elvis files are 24 bit at 96 kHz, either Apple format or FLAC.

So, you will need;

1) a hard disc to store the files
2) a computer to manage downloads and file management
3) a network to convey the digital data to the playback device

You build up a library of downloads or CD rips on the hard disc server or on a computer.

Sony have recently released a device that does the whole thing in one, including data storage.
This is proving popular but still needs an external computer to initially copy the data from, the library is copied and held on the local device. It then sits in your hi-fi rack just like a CD player would.

I would suggest, if you want to, seek out a chap on utube called "techmoan" he has some excellent videos about all this that show you just how it works.

Good luck!

rollinson1
Registered for: 21 years

Post by rollinson1 »

Scoobie wrote:
Robert wrote:So how does this work, what's needed to play this in HD through your system?
The good news your amplifier and speakers do not have to be "HD" just the playback device.
The playback device can be either a dedicated HD streamer (as made by Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Naim, Sonos, Blue Sound and so on) or a computer either Apple Mac or windows.

The whole premise is that you will now be playing digital files instead of CD's.

They key thing is to ensure your playback device can play the correct file types:

Nearly all of the Elvis files are 24 bit at 96 kHz, either Apple format or FLAC.

So, you will need;

1) a hard disc to store the files
2) a computer to manage downloads and file management
3) a network to convey the digital data to the playback device

You build up a library of downloads or CD rips on the hard disc server or on a computer.

Sony have recently released a device that does the whole thing in one, including data storage.
This is proving popular but still needs an external computer to initially copy the data from, the library is copied and held on the local device. It then sits in your hi-fi rack just like a CD player would.

I would suggest, if you want to, seek out a chap on utube called "techmoan" he has some excellent videos about all this that show you just how it works.

Good luck!
Great informative post :smt038

ELVIS PRESLEY - THE MOST UNDERRATED, UNDERUSED, WASTED TALENT OF ALL TIME

Claus

Post by Claus »

Burn the files to dvd or dvd-audio and play it on your dvd-player if it's connected to your speakers and amp. If not, play it though your computer if it's connected to your system or a dedicated D/A- converter unless you have an external soundcard.

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Claus wrote:Burn the files to dvd or dvd-audio and play it on your dvd-player if it's connected to your speakers and amp. If not, play it though your computer if it's connected to your system or a dedicated D/A- converter unless you have an external soundcard.
Indeed one of the characteristics of "computer audio" is that there are so many ways to achieve the basic aim.
My post was perhaps an over simplification, and Claus is right as well, it can be done this way.
It is a whole new way to play music, and there are many routes to the same result.

It took me many months to hit on a solution I am happy with, and my equipment has changed several times to get here.
It is a minefield, but once you get it right, it sounds marvellous!

It is worthwhile, at least in my opinion.

I know some who are happy with just streaming from paid services plus good old CD's on a shelf.
That is not for me as I love having my whole CD collection playable at the touch of a button.

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by KingElvis »

Good posts all :)

Let me get this straight:
As long as you get real audio on your pc/amp instead of "static noise" you will hear how much better
hd tracks really are??
I would assume speakers,cables and so on are important as well?
There are poor quality speakers,cables,blu ray players,amp and so on out there.
With the right playback software I think I can get my 10 year old laptop to play these files but find it hard
to believe that I then will get full 24/96 audio quality?
Can someone tell what D/A- converter actually do and are they a must?

Noob so please explain,THANKS :)

Claus

Post by Claus »

It's not a day and night difference. The difference can be very subtle and practically non-existent on some music. The improvements I hear is increased inner-detail and depth and a more real-sounding top-end. The mastering is still the most important aspect, imo and there are cds that sound better than hires releases, simply because the mastering is better.

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

KingElvis wrote:Good posts all :)

Let me get this straight:
As long as you get real audio on your pc/amp instead of "static noise" you will hear how much better
hd tracks really are??
I would assume speakers,cables and so on are important as well?
There are poor quality speakers,cables,blu ray players,amp and so on out there.
With the right playback software I think I can get my 10 year old laptop to play these files but find it hard
to believe that I then will get full 24/96 audio quality?
Can someone tell what D/A- converter actually do and are they a must?

Noob so please explain,THANKS :)
So let me see if I can help you out.

The computer becomes the source, the device playing the files.
The computer requires the right software (itunes, JRiver, Media Monkey, and so on) to 'play' the files.
In this world the word 'play' means to take the digital file and convert it to analogue sound impulses.
This is the job of the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) within the computer.
The DAC pushes out analogue sound via the sound card.

Now, of course the quality of the DAC in the computer, and the quality of the sound card do count an influence the sound.
So much so that many choose a separate DAC, which is fed a digital stream by the computer.
The DAC then sends analogue signals to your hi-fi.
These off board DACS can cost anything from £30.00 to several thousand pounds.

Every piece of the chain, from source to speakers, influences what you hear.

I have used a Cambidge Audio DAC for many years, with great sound. Now I have moved on and no longer use this.

Today I use a dedicated device from Marantz to accept the digital stream and convert it to analogue sound.

Whether or not your current laptop is up to the job, well possibly, depending on the quality of the DAC and sound card within it. The best way to know? Purchase one HD album, plug in your headphones and 'play' it. If you like what you hear then you are set to go. It is perfectly possible that your 10 year old laptop can do this. There are parameters to check regarding the DAC being able to decode the 24-bit 96 kHz files.
If your laptop is an apple then you are indeed set to go, even if it is 10 years old.

There are many people who consider themselves 'audiophiles' who will tell you that the DAC and sound card in your average Apple MacBook is perfectly acceptable for this, as well as many modern Windows laptop.

Actually, this is not as new as you might think. Your CD player is actually a computer reading data from the CDs and converting it to analogue sound. Again we have a digital source, DAC and a sound card, it's just that we are not used to thinking about the parts within the CD player that make it work.

Does that help?

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Just wanted to say, it is possible that you would be able the appreciate the difference with HD files with your current equipment, it would be a question of degrees of change. The better your equipment the more difference you will hear.
Until your equipment reaches a certain level (very high end indeed) where the limitation is the available data and not the playback equipment, but most people would never even get close to that.

There are dedicated forums full of information, try http://www.computeraudio.com there is loads to read here and many really expert and experienced folks who have helped me no end with my set up.

Topic author
LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

Scoobie wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:If only FEIM and TTWII would be released in HI_RES then I would be happy :)
I am sure this is coming, only yesterday "From Memphis to Vegas / From Vegas to Memphis" was released on HD tracks yesterday. USA licence only at the moment! but I bet it will not be long until it gets a European licence.
More will follow TTWII and FEIM hopefully.
Saving the best for last :)
In this regard it makes sense that all the poor soundtracks are available in HD audio first.
Maybe more titles will be available in this anniversary "Elvis month"

Regarding booklets...seems to me that only the Legacy releases has them?

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

Scoobie wrote:

Nearly all of the Elvis files are 24 bit at 96 kHz, either Apple format or FLAC

Good luck!
Can you give details of the Sony device. Currently I play MUSIC via my laptop with iTunes and an Apple TV. Thanks.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

emjel wrote:
Scoobie wrote:

Nearly all of the Elvis files are 24 bit at 96 kHz, either Apple format or FLAC

Good luck!
Can you give details of the Sony device. Currently I play MUSIC via my laptop with iTunes and an Apple TV. Thanks.
See the Sony HAP-S1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

My personal choice was the Marantz N6005:
This will work very well with your itunes library, it does with mine!
You can download Apple format ALAC in HD 24-96 into your iTunes library, stream it to one of these units (Apple TV does not support HD) and away you go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Scoobie wrote:My personal choice was the Marantz N6005:
You can download Apple format ALAC in HD 24-96 into your iTunes library, stream it to one of these units (Apple TV does not support HD) and away you go!
Just to clarify, are these units designed to play as a replacement to an amp or my case a Pioneer Receiver or are they connected into the receiver. I expect to update my receiver shortly and the new one can play all if these HD formats. Wish they came in black though to match everything else in my stand. Thanks.

~

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

emjel wrote:
Just to clarify, are these units designed to play as a replacement to an amp or my case a Pioneer Receiver or are they connected into the receiver. I expect to update my receiver shortly and the new one can play all if these HD formats. Wish they came in black though to match everything else in my stand. Thanks.
The Marantz connects to an Amp, just like a CD player does, and does come in black. The Sony includes amplification and a line out, so can do both.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Scoobie wrote:
emjel wrote:
The Marantz connects to an Amp, just like a CD player does, and does come in black. The Sony includes amplification and a line out, so can do both.
cheers Scoobie. Have watched the Techmoan videos and will probably go for the Sony (which he really rates) as I like the idea of the internal HD. I see Sony do a higher end model that has a 1tb disc, but it costs just under £2k and not sure that is a viable option or somewhat over the top especially when you have to buy more albums in the first place. Mmmmm!!!

~

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

emjel wrote:
Scoobie wrote:
emjel wrote:
cheers Scoobie. Have watched the Techmoan videos and will probably go for the Sony (which he really rates) as I like the idea of the internal HD. I see Sony do a higher end model that has a 1tb disc, but it costs just under £2k and not sure that is a viable option or somewhat over the top especially when you have to buy more albums in the first place. Mmmmm!!!
The Marantz is very good and retails at around £350, but the Sony is great having a HD built in, but you still need a network connection to another computer hosting the original library. Does not make sense to me to double up like that and pay extra for the duplication. That is why I went with the Marantz not the Sony....