SteveJ
Registered for: 21 years

Beatles and Elvis Presleys Bel Air meeting recreated

Post by SteveJ »

garyt
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Beatles and Elvis Presleys Bel Air meeting recreated

Post by garyt »

No doubt the play, just like the article. will be Beatles oriented, as the writer is a born again Beatles fan. "Elvis’s life was an American tragedy and the seeds of it are sown here in this meeting....." So the Beatles were responsible for decline. Laughable!

Visit my site for fans elvis-people

NumberEight
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by NumberEight »

SteveJ wrote:The Beatles meeting with Elvis will feature in a new BBC Radio 2 play....

https://home.bt.com/news/showbiz-news/beatles-and-elvis-presleys-bel-air-meeting-recreated-for-bbc-play-11363994169530
Hopefully the play will be more accurate than the illustrations used in the article. Otherwise we'll have 1966 Beatles meeting 1969 Elvis, which could play havoc with the space-time continuum.

Especially if 1969 Elvis sings snatches of Lady Madonna or Hey Jude, inspiring 1966 Paul to write the songs themselves a couple of years later.

r&b

Post by r&b »

so the big question remains, did they jam or didnt they? I was leafing thru a new book about Ringo, and in it he says they did not! All the living participants of that historic night should get together and re-remember how it all went down once and for all.

Burning Love
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Burning Love »

Do I smell another play ala..... "Million Dollar Quartet" play in the works?

Burning Love

egilj
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by egilj »

r&b wrote:so the big question remains, did they jam or didnt they? I was leafing thru a new book about Ringo, and in it he says they did not! All the living participants of that historic night should get together and re-remember how it all went down once and for all.
That would have been something:) At least, Paul, George and Ringo did so in the anthology-thing and they all agreed on that there was no jamming. They laughed about John making that claim in an interview shortly after the meeting.

r&b

Post by r&b »

egilj wrote:
r&b wrote:so the big question remains, did they jam or didnt they? I was leafing thru a new book about Ringo, and in it he says they did not! All the living participants of that historic night should get together and re-remember how it all went down once and for all.
That would have been something:) At least, Paul, George and Ringo did so in the anthology-thing and they all agreed on that there was no jamming. They laughed about John making that claim in an interview shortly after the meeting.
But many do say guitars were handed out. There seems to be an agreement that when the 4 walked in Elvis had an unplugged bass on his couch. Thats why they all need to get together and remember correctly.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

I have addressed this in detail on other topics that I'm pretty sure you were a part of. The short answer: yes.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:so the big question remains, did they jam or didnt they?
The short answer: yes.
The shorter answer: no.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

drjohncarpenter

NumberEight wrote:Hopefully the play will be more accurate than the illustrations used in the article. Otherwise we'll have 1966 Beatles meeting 1969 Elvis, which could play havoc with the space-time continuum.

Especially if 1969 Elvis sings snatches of Lady Madonna or Hey Jude, inspiring 1966 Paul to write the songs themselves a couple of years later.
Good one. Among the songs actually bandied about that evening:

Mohair Sam
You're My World
It's Now Or Never

The historical record indicates a jam did indeed take place.

Below are Interviews given less than 24 hours after the visit. Plus, enjoy a most gracious 1965 article written by John Lennon about his experience meeting his #1 rock 'n' roll idol. These offer first-person testimony about that fabled night.

Read and enjoy! Don't let the stupid members of this forum distract from the FACTS. :smt023

ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW:

The Beatles enjoyed five days off in California in the midst of their 1965 North American tour. During this time, in the late hours of August 27th, the Beatles met Elvis Presley whom they had considered one of their most important idols.

The next evening, following the Beatles concert at Balboa Stadium in San Diego, the group spoke with Disc Jockey Jerry G. Bishop. Unlike the reporters at the press conference earlier in the day, Bishop was aware of their meeting with Presley, and was able to document their reactions to meeting the 'King' the very night after the event took place.

Q: "Have you been a fan of Elvis's for a long time?"

PAUL: "Yeah. well of course, you know. When I was sixteen, I loved his records. We used to do a lot of his songs then, you know. And until we started doing our own songs, we used to do quite a few Elvis songs. I still like his records, especially the earlier ones. I think they are his greatest, you know."

Q: "What was your personal reaction after meeting the guy? You build up an image about a guy for a long time... suddenly you meet him. Is he the same way you thought he'd be?"

PAUL: "I think he was exactly like I imagined, yeah. I didn't quite know what to expect when we went there, you know. I mean, I thought that he'd be the same, but I didn't know how the atmosphere or anything would be in the place. But it was good, 'cuz it was all old mates around. Old mates of his, you know, and we brought quite a few of ours. And so we just had a bit of a 'do.'"

Q: "Now you know the way Elvis lives - he's very secluded - probably the most secluded performer in show business history. The guy is always in his house with his friends... very rarely makes personal appearances... never does television or concerts. Could you live that way for very long?"

PAUL: "No. I couldn't. But I suppose if you get used to it, it'd be okay. I like, sort of, doing plenty of work, you know. 'Cuz I get bored otherwise."

Q: "Sure. Being a performer, it seems to me, really means being in front of the public, and you're NOT really - on the movie screen."

PAUL: "Yeah, I don't think it matters with Elvis much. I think he might regret it a bit, you know, himself... like we do. I know that he hasn't done a session for quite a bit - a record session. And we were trying to persuade him to do one last night. You know, do a new session and try and get some of the old kind of songs he used to sing. You know, all the old country songs, or some of the old... real rock and roll stuff."

Q: "He, don't forget, is playing to an audience that was sixteen when he made it, and is now twenty-five."

PAUL: "That's true, that's true. But the thing is, there's still a lot of people who still think of Elvis's records as being like they were. I do. I think of Elvis's old sound as Elvis. I mean, and I don't like the new stuff half as much. And we told him last night, you know, and I think he fancies doing it, anyway. So he said he'd probably do a session. So I hope he does, you know. I'll buy it if he does."

Q: "Yeah. It would be interesting to see if the Beatles have an influence on Elvis's music. What do you think about an Elvis/Beatle album.. or a Beatle/Elvis album?"

PAUL: "Oh well, that's one of those things. You know, I mean, it'd be okay but no one would ever do it. I mean, he wouldn't do it. I know we wouldn't do it, you know."

---

Q: "How's your throat first of all, John?"

JOHN: "I seem to have gotten me voice back."

Q: "Are you going to do 'Twist And Shout' tonight then?"

JOHN: "Oh yeah. I forgot about that."

Q: "So you're going to put it back in?"

JOHN: "Yeah well, we only do half of it anyways - just as an introduction, you know. Nobody hears it, really."

Q: "What happened last week in Los Angeles? I know you relaxed a lot. Was that about the story, really?"

JOHN: "We just sort of got up about twelve or one... swam, had breakfast. Odd people came 'round to see us, you know."

Q: "You met The Byrds. Who else?"

JOHN: "The Byrds had practically been there all the time, you know. When they weren't working. We met Elvis last night, which was great."

Q: "Yeah, tell us about that. This has been a meeting that's been in the works for a long time. I guess. Right?"

JOHN: "Yeah, but we were always just in the wrong place at the wrong time to meet him. We would have just gone 'round or something but there was a whole lot of palaver about where, and how many people should know and everything... with the managers, Colonel Tom and Brian working everything out. But it was good when we met him. He's great."

Q: "What is he like? We hear stories here in the States about anybody who is as secluded as Elvis. He's really kept away from the public eye, except in the movies, and no television... does nothing else but movies."

JOHN: "Yeah."

Q: "Is he a nervous, strange individual? Or did he strike you as a normal guy?"

JOHN: "No, he just seemed normal to us, you know. And we were asking him about just making movies and not doing any personal appearances or TV. And he seems to enjoy it, you know. I think he enjoys making movies so much. We couldn't stand not doing personal appearances. We'd get bored. We get bored quickly. He says he misses it a bit, you know. He's just... he was great. He was just how I expected him."

Q: "You played the guitar, right?"

JOHN: "Yeah, well, he has a bass guitar sort of permanently plugged in alongside the TV. 'Cuz he has the sound down, and we had the records on, which is not unlike us. We always have TV on, whatever's on... but we never watch it. It's just there with no sound on, and we listen to records."

Q: "I don't know if this was discussed, but it seems to me an Elvis/Beatle album would be like the best-selling album in history."

JOHN: "None of us have ever liked those albums where they put two people together who are either similar, or you know... I don't know. Like Sinatra and somebody else, you know. But I don't like that. Anyway, I'd hate an album like that."

---

Q: "Hello Ringo."

RINGO: "Hi, how are you?"

Q: "Did you learn to swim this week?"

RINGO: "I can swim, you know me... twenty-five yards. I've got the certificate to prove it."

Q: "Malcolm Evans (Beatles' roadie and personal friend) is sitting here, and Malcolm must have had the thrill of a lifetime last night when you all met Elvis."

RINGO: "Yeah, we went to Elvis's place."

Q: "Tell us about it."

RINGO: "It was... When we first arrived it was sort of a bit funny, you know. 'cuz he's still the King, man. No matter what anyone says, you know. And we sort of shook hands... said hello, and then we sort of went to the bar and we had a drink, and that. He had a lot of friends there - and we had Malcolm who's his biggest fan, and a couple more of our road managers. And we just started mingling. In about half an hour it was just like old friends, you know.. we knew everybody. Just sat 'round and walked 'round playing."

Q: "Played guitar, right?"

RINGO: "Yeah, well, the boys played guitar. I don't play, though. I played pool with three of his friends."

Q: "How did you do?"

RINGO: "We lost, actually - our team."

Q: "Can I interrupt your interview to get Malcolm's impressions of the King?"

RINGO: "Yes. Over to Malcolm Evans, Beatle road manager 65. Tah dah!!"

Q: (to Ringo) "Alright, why don't you interview him? Ask him what he thought of Elvis."

RINGO: "Okay. Mal, it was a big thrill for you last night. Tell us about it."

MAL EVANS: "It was the greatest thrill of my life, Richard. I really enjoyed it."

RINGO: "You notice that? He calls me Richard."

MAL EVANS: "He was everything I expected him to be. You know, he's good-looking... made you feel at ease. He was just every bit as I expected him to be after nine years being a fan."

RINGO: "Seven-foot-six, he is, folks. Well, back to your local DJ."

Q: Alright. If you had a million dollars, Mal, what's the first thing you'd buy?"

MAL EVANS: "I don't really know. 'Cuz I've got everything I want at the moment - my Elvis records and all the Beatle records, so..."

Q: "You notice the order he put that? The Elvis records and then the Beatle records."

RINGO: "Well, we know this. That's the great thing about Malcolm, our road manager. And he's Elvis's number one fan. He gets his 'Elvis Monthly' and his records and everything. We don't mind. It's great, you know. 'Cuz we like him, too."

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1965.0828.beatles.html

Elvis Bids Adieu To Beatles - 565 Perugia Way, Los Angeles, CA - early morning hours of Saturday, August 28, 1965
Elvis has just walked the Beatles to their limo, NME reporter Chris Hutchins strolls past, Paul visible by the rear door window.
Color snapshot apparently taken by a fan, sitting in a tree outside the house.

Ze King and I
John Describes The Beatles' Meeting with Elvis ... In His Own Words
by John Lennon

August 27, 1965, was an historic day in the annals of celebrity -- the Beatles met Elvis Presley at his home in Bel Air, California. The following is John Lennon's description of the evening.

There was only one person in the United States that we really wanted to meet -- not that I'm sure he wanted to meet us -- and that was Elvis. It is difficult to describe how we felt about him. We just idolized the guy so much.

When we first came to Hollywood all these people like Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra wanted to come over and see us. But we didn't want to meet them particularly because we felt they didn't really like us or our music. It was a real thrill to get to meet Elvis, though -- especially to play with him. And because we were both Peter Sellers fans, I remember saying to him, "Zis is ze way it should be. Ze small homey gathering wiz a few friends and a leetle music!"

We'd tried to meet Elvis during our first tour of the States in 1964, but couldn't make it because of his commitments and ours. But when we came in the summer of 1965 we found we'd be in Hollywood at the same time Elvis was filming there. And that's how we met Elvis on the night of Friday, August 27, 1965.

It still took three days of planning to set up the get together in Elvis's house -- which we hoped would be a secret. But the fans and the press still got wind of it and were there in their hundreds trying to get in, and although we were used to crowds, the thought of Elvis and the Beatles being together at one time just blew the minds of some people.

Anyhow, Elvis was inside waiting to greet us. He looked great in black slacks, a red shirt and close fitting black jerkin. He said hello in his quietly spoken way and led us into this huge circular room. We were joined by some his staff as well as Colonel Parker and Brian Epstein.

I know Paul, George, and Ringo were feeling as nervous as I was. This was the guy we had all idolized for years -- from way back when were just starting out in Liverpool. He was a legend in his own lifetime, and it's never easy meeting a legend in his own lifetime. However, Elvis tried to make us feel at home.

He sat -- Paul and me on one side of him and Ringo on the other. George sat cross-legged on the floor. A huge color television was on in the middle of the room with the sound off, while a record player was playing the latest tunes. We could have just walked in on an average, "Elvis-at-home" evening. Elvis obviously liked to treat everybody he met the same, whoever they were.

He finally broke the silence that had fallen over the room. "Look, guys," he said, "if you're just going to sit there and stare at me, I'm going to bed." He smiled, and we all laughed. "Let's talk a bit, huh?" he went on. "And then maybe play and sing a bit?"

That's just what we all wanted to do, and you could feel the tension in the room begin to ease. One of Elvis's staff brought us drinks, but while we all drank scotch-and coke or bourbon-and-Seven Up, Elvis only had Seven Up. He didn't touch any of the cigarettes that were offered around, either.

After a bit Elvis said, "Somebody bring in the guitars." Again one of his men jumped up, and within moments three electric guitars had been plugged into the amplifiers in the room. Elvis took a bass guitar, and I took a rhythm guitar. Elvis obviously wasn't that familiar with his instrument, so Paul gave him some instructions. "Here's how I play the bass," he said, strumming a few chords. "It's not too good, but I'm practicing."

George was busy looking over his instrument, and it was a few minutes before he joined in. If I remember correctly, it was Cilla Black's hit record "You're My World" that we first got off together. After that I said, "This beats talking, doesn't it" -- and we had at last found a way of communicating through music. Only Ringo looked a bit down. He could only watch us and drum on the side of his chair. "Too bad we left the drums in Memphis," Elvis said, as if trying to console him.

After a while, Paul put down his guitar and went over to the large white grand piano that stood in a corner by the bar. He began to pick out some notes and we got into one of the Shadows tunes. While all this was going on, Brian and the Colonel sat chatting at the back of the room. Then they went out into the games room to play some roulette. I think Brian won a bit, and the Colonel lost a little.

Playing the instruments certainly helped us feel at ease with Elvis. After about an hour we stopped and began to talk about the thing we all knew best -- entertaining. In particular, the experiences we'd all had on tour. "Some funny things happen to you on the road, don't they?" Elvis smiled. "I remember once in Vancouver we'd only done a number or two when some of the fans rushed the stage. It was lucky the guys and I got off in time. They tipped the whole damn rostrum over!"

Paul immediately followed up Elvis's words. "Yes, we've had some crazy experiences, too. I remember one fellow rushed on stage when were performing and pulled the leads out of the amplifiers. Then he turned to me and said, "One move and you're dead."

Elvis replied, "Yeah, it can be pretty scaring at times." I chipped in. "But you're on your own, I said. "At least we've got each other up there. If somebody pushed me on stage and said, 'You're on your own,' like they do with you, I don't know how I'd cope."

The conversation then moved on to the problem of flying, which Elvis admitted could bother him. "I once took off from Atlanta, Georgia, in a small two-engine plane," he recalled, "and one of the engines failed. Boy, was I scared! I really thought my number was up. We had to take everything that was sharp out of our pockets and rest our heads on pillows between our knees. When we finally got down safely, the pilot was soaking with sweat, although there was snow on the ground outside."

George told Elvis a similar story about when he had been flying from Liverpool and the window beside him had suddenly sprung open. "Yeah," agreed Elvis again. "We pay the price for fame with our nerves don't we?"

I also remember I talked to him about cars. Everyone knew how much he loved them, and he'd just got himself a Rolls-Royce Phantom Five. "Snap!" I told him. "I saw it outside. Mine is just the same except I've had all the chrome bits painted black."

It was 2 AM when we finally quit. Elvis had been a great host and gave all of us a complete set of his records. It was a night none of us would forget. As we were about to leave, Paul said, "Elvis, we'd like you and the other guys to come up to the place where we are staying tomorrow night." "Well, I'll see," Elvis replied. "I don't know whether I can make it or not. But thanks all the same."

He smiled and shook our hands. We never saw him again. It was Elvis's sense of humor that stuck in my mind. He liked to laugh and make others laugh, too. Which was why I put on a Peter Sellers voice again as we walked out of the door and said, "Tanks for ze music, Elvis -- and long live ze King!"

Copyright 2002 The Estate of John Lennon

Ze King and I: John Lennon Talks About Meeting Elvis Presley
http://features.absoluteelsewhere.net/ZeKingandI/john_talks_meeting.html

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

r&b

Post by r&b »

I always believed there was some jamming. All thru the years I have heard this did take place. The first time I didnt hear this was in The Beatles Anthology. Also I think the Elvis camp is split on this. Some say yes, some no. Even in This Is Elvis which was an Esposito/Schilling affair, Ral Donner(as Elvis) states pity there were no tape recorders around, which lead to believe there was some jamming. Why would the 3 surviving Beatles in 1995 say they didnt? Leaves room for reasonable doubt as they say in court. .Did Priscilla ever chime in on this?

NumberEight

Post by NumberEight »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Among the songs actually bandied about that evening:

Mohair Sam
You're My World
It's Now Or Never

If I knew about You're My World, I'd forgotten; thank you for reminding me. Perhaps George thought its Italian origin would suit Elvis' style.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Too bad that Priscilla did not describe in her book the famous meeting.

NumberEight

Post by NumberEight »

One of the last songs Lennon-McCartney gave away to another artist, Paul's That Means A Lot, was released the following month by P J Proby (and may already have been recorded by the date of the meeting with Elvis). Paul should have waited a little longer so he could give it the the Man himself.

As for John, the meeting with Elvis may have been the subconscious inspiration for Nowhere Man, written and recorded later that year.

Or George's Think For Yourself:
Although your mind's opaque,
Try thinking more if just for your own sake.
The future still looks good
And you've got time to rectify all the things that you should.

One also wonders if they played Baby Let's Play House, of which the lyrics
I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man
ended up in Lennon's Run For Your Life.
Pure speculation, of course...

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

NumberEight wrote:One of the last songs Lennon-McCartney gave away to another artist, Paul's That Means A Lot, was released the following month by P J Proby (and may already have been recorded by the date of the meeting with Elvis). Paul should have waited a little longer so he could give it the the Man himself.
Yes.

Lennon & McCartney should have wrote one song specifically for Elvis.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

r&b wrote: Did Priscilla ever chime in on this?
I have heard that she came in and met everyone for a few minutes but then she left the room and was not present for much of the meeting.

If true that's probably why she hasn't said much about it over all these years.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
jurasic1968 wrote:Too bad that Priscilla did not describe in her book the famous meeting.
Why do you rely on so often on her book? :shock:. I read it and all the truth is not really all there!. There are so many good books on Elvis that this would be not the best one to be recommended :wink:.

And before anyone mention it, I have also read the book: Child Bride: The Untold Story of Priscilla Beaulieu Presley (ISBN 0-517-70585-0), which I enjoyed more 8). Bye for now :smt006.
246-9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

She was a witness of Elvis and The Beatles meeting, so her story can be very useful to us.

r&b

Post by r&b »

jurasic1968 wrote:She was a witness of Elvis and The Beatles meeting, so her story can be very useful to us.
I never had any Esposito books. Did he ever tell the story of that night?

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
jurasic1968 wrote:She was a witness of Elvis and The Beatles meeting, so her story can be very useful to us.
As you say her story could be useful but after all these years she has said so little.... :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

r&b wrote:I always believed there was some jamming..........Why would the 3 surviving Beatles in 1995 say they didnt?
They were setting the record straight. There can be no other reason.

>>>

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

r&b wrote:I never had any Esposito books. Did he ever tell the story of that night?
Yes he did... and according to his first hand account "Elvis, John and Paul were playing guitars and singing in the den. The jam session - all rhythm and blues selections like Chuck Berry's Roll Over Beethoven, Promised Land and Maybellene, and Ray Charles What'd I Say - lasted about 45 minutes."

mjsantafe
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by mjsantafe »

Somewhere out there is also the story of how Mal Evans who was notorious for always having guitar picks with him, discovered that his suit pockets had been sewn shut by a cleaner and had to spend some evening in Elvis' kitchen breaking the ends off of plastic spoons to make picks for the boys. This would certainly imply that there was indeed some guitar playing going on.

drjohncarpenter

mjsantafe wrote:Somewhere out there is also the story of how Mal Evans who was notorious for always having guitar picks with him, discovered that his suit pockets had been sewn shut by a cleaner and had to spend some evening in Elvis' kitchen breaking the ends off of plastic spoons to make picks for the boys. This would certainly imply that there was indeed some guitar playing going on.

Exactly. And their words from less than 24 hours after the visit (posted above) are bonafide pieces of truth. Only the very ignorant, or those with agendas, can deny such first-person testimony. In addition, if one reads all of Paul's statement above, you will see he recounts how they asked Elvis when he was going to do a real (non-movie soundtrack) session, because that's what they would really like to see happen. He recalls this without any suggestion that it was anything but a conversation between professional musicians, and that Elvis was perfectly cool about it. Some here have desperately tried to twist this (said by John during the visit) around into something awful and negative, but once again the historical record cannot be denied.

When you learn more, you know more. :smt023

P.S. That's a lovely appearance by Cilla Black, performing "You're My World" on the U.K.'s "Ready Steady Go!" from Friday, May 1, 1964.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

mjsantafe wrote:Somewhere out there is also the story of how Mal Evans who was notorious for always having guitar picks with him, discovered that his suit pockets had been sewn shut by a cleaner and had to spend some evening in Elvis' kitchen breaking the ends off of plastic spoons to make picks for the boys. This would certainly imply that there was indeed some guitar playing going on.
Three Beatles saying 'no jam', trumps one Mal Evans looking for picks. Documented by more than one first-person testimony, Lennon's oafish behaviour that night is part of the historical record.

Whereas Ringo and George were too cool for school, the savvy Macca at first propagated the construct that the Beatles had got along swimmingly with the KIng, well he would, wouldn't he.

In '95, however, the three surviving Beatles set the historical record straight. No jam.

>>>