DAE- Holding Back The Years - Larrie Londin

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

poormadpeter

Re: DAE- Holding Back The Years - Larrie Londin

Post by poormadpeter »

Matthew wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Dont dare saying anything against the 1969 oldie hitparade ..... they will kill you..:wink:
Please tell me you're no longer advising FTD on product releases...

Now where did I put my copy of Hot August Night, perhaps the finest live recording we have 1969 onwards.

The issue that many overlook with the 1969 shows is that t they only cover the tip of the iceberg of what Elvis could do or what he was all about. There is no gospel music here, virtually no country, almost no big ballads. They create a very one-dimensional image of the artist in question despite the very high level of performance.

And all those damned covers: Johnny B Goode, My Babe, Tiger Man, Words, Baby What You Want Me To Do, Funny How Time Slips Away, Yesterday, Hey Jude, Runaway, I Can't Stop Loving You.

Far higher ratio of covers than in later tours from the end of his career. They're so tiresome don't you think? :wink:

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Dont dare saying anything against the 1969 oldie hitparade ..... they will kill you..:wink:

Now where did I put my copy of Hot August Night, perhaps the finest live recording we have 1969 onwards.
Having detailed on other topics (to the point of exhaustion) how fundamentally flawed is that statement, it is astounding to read it yet again. Clearly, we have an opaque thinker, and I too hope that he has absolutely no advisory capacity for FTD concert releases.

John..problem is ..there is a world besides 1969 SBs ..you seem to ignore this fact.

There are fans out there who want SBs from 1976 and 1977, too...you got to please these demands, too.

You cant just pick shows from 1969..l..its always the same ..down to dialogue . which was learnt by heart and some oldies....you got to be flexible...

and you know nothing....I repeat nothing..about what is in the vaults..

...even google wont help you... :wink:

Didn't I say it...they will kill you... :wink:

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

poormadpeter wrote:The issue that many overlook with the 1969 shows is that t they only cover the tip of the iceberg of what Elvis could do or what he was all about. There is no gospel music here, virtually no country, almost no big ballads. They create a very one-dimensional image of the artist in question despite the very high level of performance.

And all those damned covers: Johnny B Goode, My Babe, Tiger Man, Words, Baby What You Want Me To Do, Funny How Time Slips Away, Yesterday, Hey Jude, Runaway, I Can't Stop Loving You.

Far higher ratio of covers than in later tours from the end of his career. They're so tiresome don't you think? :wink:
Here's the point ----> .

You're a good few coordinates off target.

:wink:

Vince_Everett
Formerly Dutch Fireworks
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by Vince_Everett »

poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

The issue that many overlook with the 1969 shows is that t they only cover the tip of the iceberg of what Elvis could do or what he was all about. There is no gospel music here, virtually no country, almost no big ballads. They create a very one-dimensional image of the artist in question despite the very high level of performance.

Last edited by Vince_Everett on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mama she done told me, Papa done told me too: 'Son, that gal you're foolin' with, she ain't no good for you!'

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The issue that many overlook with the 1969 shows is that t they only cover the tip of the iceberg of what Elvis could do or what he was all about. There is no gospel music here, virtually no country, almost no big ballads. They create a very one-dimensional image of the artist in question despite the very high level of performance.

Here's the point ----> .

You're a good few coordinates off target.

You know what my point is. And I know what yours is. And never the twain shall meet. But at the same time you were arguing that Elvis was performing too many covers in his setlists. So, would you rather him not have performed the above songs? Or are you happy with how the 1969 shows are? Surely what you're actually arguing earlier is "Elvis sang too many covers that I don't like."

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Ciscoking wrote:There are fans out there who want SBs from 1976 and 1977, too...you got to please these demands, too.
Nah, it's been done to death. You see, no good shows from these years. Elvis was really, really consistently awful! FTD has already beaten the dead horse showing how awful he was with plenty of releases.

Time to show the man some respect and cease and desist!

Can you help make that happen? Please?

Matthew

DAE- Holding Back The Years - Larrie Londin

Post by Matthew »

poormadpeter wrote:You know what my point is. And I know what yours is. And never the twain shall meet. But at the same time you were arguing that Elvis was performing too many covers in his setlists. So, would you rather him not have performed the above songs? Or are you happy with how the 1969 shows are? Surely what you're actually arguing earlier is "Elvis sang too many covers that I don't like."
I was arguing this?

Of course we've been here before and the contrast between covering the occasional blues or country standard in the 1969 set, the occasional contemporary cover, is that they are framed within a narrative of the star performing VOLUMES of his own signature material to a high standard, including classic hits, contemporary originals including his biggest hit in years (In The Ghetto) and signature hit in the making, Suspicious Minds.

Elvis is very careful and very selective about what he performs.

Come the mid-70s his signature material is largely tossed away, and barely present in favour of middling covers of others signature pop hits. His sets are tired and uninspiring.

Of course you know this because we've been here before :wink:

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:You know what my point is. And I know what yours is. And never the twain shall meet. But at the same time you were arguing that Elvis was performing too many covers in his setlists. So, would you rather him not have performed the above songs? Or are you happy with how the 1969 shows are? Surely what you're actually arguing earlier is "Elvis sang too many covers that I don't like."
I was arguing this?

Of course we've been here before and the contrast between covering the occasional blues or country standard in the 1969 set, the occasional contemporary cover, is that they are framed within a narrative of the star performing VOLUMES of his own signature material to a high standard, including classic hits, contemporary originals including his biggest hit in years (In The Ghetto) and signature hit in the making, Suspicious Minds.

Come the mid-70s his signature material is largely tossed away, and barely present in favour of middling covers of others signature pop hits. His sets are tired and uninspiring.

He lives to argue, regardless of what he truly feels.

Your summation is spot-on, not a word out of place, thank you.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Matthew wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:There are fans out there who want SBs from 1976 and 1977, too...you got to please these demands, too.
Nah, it's been done to death.
1969 not..?

And yess..they want it. His later musical legacy isn't limited to 1969 and 1970.

FTD is there to make all this available for deep and ardent fans.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Ciscoking wrote: 1969 not..?
Nope.
Ciscoking wrote:FTD is there to make all this available for deep and ardent fans.
And morbidly curious right :wink:

Tuscaloosa Tailspin
Wisconsin Wipe-out!
Vegetating Vegas Style!
Slurring Shreveport Blues
Toasted in Tulsa
Longing in Long Beach
Stalling Spokane
Lumbering in Lubbock
Pine Bluff's Bluff

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Matthew wrote:
I was arguing this?

It was you who said, just a page ago, "Well, at least we can agree his set lists comprised an unhealthy amount of other artists signature songs." The comments weren't about how well he sang his own songs or the commitment he gave them, but the composition of his setlists. And the fact is that the 1969 shows contain a higher ratio of "other artists signature songs" that Elvis had not recorded himself than any other time after the comeback.

And this is the problem - when people criticise his 1976/7 setlists, they're not criticising the setlists, because on paper they look just fine. They're criticising how well he sang them - and that is a very different thing altogether.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I know you'd like to think what your thinking is what I'm thinking, or ever was thinking but I'm thinking... it's not, no matter how hard you think to try to and force things in narrow little boxes.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

You came when i was happy, in your sunshine... I Grew to love you more each passing day, before to long i build my world around you, and i prayed you love enough of me to stay .. So if you love me let me know, if you don't let me go, i can't take another minute or a day without you in it, if you love me let it be, and if you don't set me free, take these chains away that keeps me loving youuu..

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

Matthew wrote:Toasted in Tulsa
That was a funny one.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

poormadpeter wrote: And this is the problem - when people criticise his 1976/7 setlists, they're not criticising the setlists, because on paper they look just fine. They're criticising how well he sang them - and that is a very different thing altogether.
I've always thought the same. I would definitely loved more "Elvis" hits per se (wouldn't we all?), but when you look at the set-list...take June 21st, 1977 for example:

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Thats All Right
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Love Me
If You Love Me
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
O Sole Mio (by Sherrill Nielsen)/Its Now Or Never
Tryin' To Get To You
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Teddy Bear/Dont Be Cruel
My Way
Band Introductions
Early Morning Rain
Solos
Hurt
Hound Dog
Unchained Melody
Cant Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

The ones I've bolded are considered by many, bonafide Presley hits. 14 out of the 18 or so songs sung that night are songs Elvis is associated with (not sure about other singers of Mountain). I Got A Woman goes back to his first album, That's All Right was of course his first record, Are You Lonesome? was a hit, Love Me was huge, Jailhouse Rock is maybe his most recognized song, It's Now Or Never was his biggest selling record, Tryin' To Get To You is a SUN classic, The Hawaiian Wedding Song is another widely recognized movie song, as is Teddy Bear. Don't Be Cruel was #1, he had been doing My Way for years, Hurt was good enough to be on The Essential Elvis Presley, Hound Dog we all know about, Unchained Melody was big after his death, and to round it out Can't Help Falling In Love, which, you guessed it, was a big movie song.

The problem isn't how many of his hits he sang in one night -- it's how he sung them.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Oh dear.

SteamrollerBlues

Just my opinion.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Interesting how a Larry Londin topic evolves in another 1969 live show thread.
Words such as 'opaque' are even used on an international message board to act smart, I love it;)

Fact is that FTD would soon be gone if only concentrated around Las Vegas 1969 gigs.
We also know Elvis still had an awful lot to offer beyond this particular showroom season.

Robert

Post by Robert »

mike edwards66 wrote:
Matthew wrote:Toasted in Tulsa
That was a funny one.
Close call with 'Wisconsin wipe out' ;)
Last edited by Robert on Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

SteamrollerBlues wrote:I've always thought the same. I would definitely loved more "Elvis" hits per se (wouldn't we all?), but when you look at the set-list...take June 21st, 1977 for example:

Also Sprach Zarathustra
C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
That's All Right
Are You Lonesome To-night?
Love Me
If You Love Me
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
O Sole Mio (by Sherrill Nielsen)/It's Now Or Never
Tryin' To Get To You
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
My Way
Band Introductions
Early Morning Rain
Solos
Hurt
Hound Dog
Unchained Melody
Cant Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

The ones I've bolded are considered by many, bonafide Presley hits. 14 out of the 18 or so songs sung that night are songs Elvis is associated with (not sure about other singers of Mountain). I Got A Woman goes back to his first album, That's All Right was of course his first record, Are You Lonesome? was a hit, Love Me was huge, Jailhouse Rock is maybe his most recognized song, It's Now Or Never was his biggest selling record, Tryin' To Get To You is a SUN classic, The Hawaiian Wedding Song is another widely recognized movie song, as is Teddy Bear. Don't Be Cruel was #1, he had been doing My Way for years, Hurt was good enough to be on The Essential Elvis Presley, Hound Dog we all know about, Unchained Melody was big after his death, and to round it out Can't Help Falling In Love, which, you guessed it, was a big movie song.

The problem isn't how many of his hits he sang in one night -- it's how he sung them.
The ones in blue are the actual, bonafide Elvis Presley hits, or signature songs. We see 10 / 21 fall into that category, and three are shoved in medleys. The rest are covers, and most poorly performed. Welcome to 1976-1977.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

SteamrollerBlues

Well...I was close.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Robert wrote:Interesting how a Larry Londin topic evolves in another 1969 live show thread.
Words such as 'opaque' are even used on an international message board to act smart, I love it;)

Fact is that FTD would soon be gone if only concentrated around Las Vegas 1969 gigs.
We also know Elvis still had an awful lot to offer beyond this particular showroom season.
Elvis' cord hasn't been pulled long enough yet. :)

Robert

Post by Robert »

SteamrollerBlues wrote:Well...I was close.
And even a bit closer, as My Way is an Elvis signature song. No question.

drjohncarpenter

Robert wrote:
SteamrollerBlues wrote:Well...I was close.
And even a bit closer, as My Way is an Elvis signature song. No question.
Not in the real world. "My Way" is a Frank Sinatra signature song. Period.

One really cannot have a serious discussion about this period in the Presley career if one lacks such basic information.

And the set list from the previous page, with just 10 numbers out of 21 performed, and three of those in medleys, is a terrible representation of Elvis and his stunning recording history.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Robert wrote:Interesting how a Larry Londin topic evolves in another 1969 live show thread.
Indeed, the forum is overrun with threads discussing Elvis' finer years.

'bout time for another 77er, wouldn't you say? :wink: