Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

DAE- Holding Back The Years - Larrie Londin

Post by promiseland »

I have just popped in this CD for the first time in about 10 years and I have to say !WOW! the sound on the disc is sooo good! :shock: Being recorded straight from the mixing deck this thing straight up rocks for a late '76 concert.
Larrie Londin on drums seems to bring this show to life, no disrespect to Ronnie Tutt but Larry has some hard hitting rock n' roll going on here. I didn't realise he was this good , although it's only obvious he had to be good to make the audition for Elvis Presley.
larrielondinelvis.jpg
I don't know if it's just the mix or that Jerry Scheff just naturally blends in with Larrie like butter! The music/band sounds better on here than just about any other show I have heard at least from 73 on. Larrie Londin and Jerry Scheff go together like peanut butter and jelly at this show.
Larrie_Londin.jpg
Is there any other Soundboard releases that have Larrie on drums I would love to hear them? He just seems to give that hard hitting rock n roll sound.
I ripped track 2 "See See Rider" for those who haven't heard Larrie's playing he kicks ass for sure Listen to those fast hard hitting runs during See See Rider. :smt007
Listen:
http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/H76vBlNt/file.html
2015-07-22_041421.jpg
2015-07-22_041651.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrie_Londin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomek
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Re: DAE- Holding Back The Years - Larrie Londin

Post by Tomek »

Try Springtime Tours 76.
There's Johnson City show from the same tour, with Larry on drums. Sound is not as good at on DAE to my ears thou.

The fool
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by The fool »

Just a few days ago I found this on YouTube, which I thought was very interesting.

Topic author
promiseland

Post by promiseland »

The fool wrote:Just a few days ago I found this on YouTube, which I thought was very interesting.
Thanks The fool that was nice!

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Considering the amount of shows on FTD from this year, it seems odd that this tour is yet to be documented, and yet is, arguably, the best of the year (certainly on the basis of this disc). The DAE edition is one of the best-sounding soundboards yet released, and Elvis is on "good form for the period."

Vince_Everett
Formerly Dutch Fireworks
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by Vince_Everett »

It's fascinating how a different drummer (Larrie Londin/Bob Lanning) can make for a completely different concert experience for a listener. Larrie seems like a real nice guy and you can definitely tell why he was allowed to play for Elvis: Polk Salad Annie's just on fire!

By the way, I never got to pick this CD up (I wasn't even born yet when it was released :smt002 ). Anyone know where I can get it?
Last edited by Vince_Everett on Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mama she done told me, Papa done told me too: 'Son, that gal you're foolin' with, she ain't no good for you!'

Tomek
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Tomek »

Hell even "Love Me" and "Love Me Tender" sound good on that DAE show.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It's an early 1976 performance and the sound on the DAE is typical of the DAE/Luxor series, with added stereo digital reverb on top of the mono soundboard (i.e. Guaranteed to Blow Your Mind aka FTD's 48 Hours to Memphis).

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

The CD ''Running For President'' Is another nice show, with probably an even better version of let me be there then on the DAE show. It's worth listening to and also in great sound.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

I don't like HOLDING BACK THE YEARS, because Elvis seems to be under the influence of some stuff. RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT is much better, even though the recording is running a tad too fast.

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by charro1971 »

Larrie Londin's drums are awesome. It gives all the songs a different, refreshing sound. Holding Back The Years is the Elvis show I listen to most often from 1976 for this reason.

I like the changes in band-members. In some ways I wish Elvis switched band-members more often. It's great to hear Larry Muhoberac, Bob Lanning and Emory Gordy for a change. The addition of David Briggs in March 1975 similarly created a refreshing sound. As much as I like James Burton, it would have been interesting to hear Elvis backed by another lead guitarist.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It's kinda sad that the occasional changing of band members is what brought a slight freshness to Elvis' act in 1976.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

Holding Back The Years features my favorite performances of America and And I Love You So.

Larrie, and to a lesser degree, Shane Keister, brought a fresh feel to the rhythm section. Notice the false start on Love Me, as Elvis tells Larrie he is playing too slow. Actually, Larrie is playing it more like it was meant to be played (as a 50s doo-wop-styled ballad), rather than as a music bed for scarf-tossing. I would imagine that Burton, Scheff and Wilkinson felt the need to be more on their toes, with two new guys in the mix (three, if you count Briggs).

Historically, Elvis raised his game when surrounded by new people. He did it when Felton first started producing him. He did it with the Wrecking Crew/Western Recorders outfit for the TV special, the American band in '69 and with the stage group in '69 and '70.

He bored easily, and would get stale. That's why he needed creative management around him, to mix things up and offer him new challenges, instead of bleeding everything dry.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

The DAE is one of the best sounding shows, period.
Larry is cooking and unlike most soundboards, drums are upfront sounding!

Make no mistake, Ronnie was still a better and more versatile drummer.

I remember being totally being blown away when it came out.
It was hard to believe it was only a semi pro recording.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

To be honest the only live Ronnie drumming I really care for is August 1969. When he returned to the band 1 year later his playing seems more in your face and over busy.

During the first engagement he is locked in and all about laying a solid foundation for the songs, which is what any good drummer should do.

Bob Lanning continued this trend for the 2nd Vegas engagement, which serves the music well.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

Matthew wrote:To be honest the only live Ronnie drumming I really care for is August 1969. When he returned to the band 1 year later his playing seems more in your face and over busy.

During the first engagement he is locked in and all about laying a solid foundation for the songs, which is what any good drummer should do.

Bob Lanning continued this trend for the 2nd Vegas engagement, which serves the music well.
I think Ronnie developed tremendously after 69.
He really started to master the double kick drum and also the double stroke technique.
The Omaha solo is showing that.

I would say that Elvis setlist wasn't really demanding enough for Ronnie.
He did slip a bit as the 70's progressed but then again, it wasn't easy to elevate the backing based on a declining performance from Elvis side..

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

Johnny2523 wrote:The CD ''Running For President'' Is another nice show, with probably an even better version of let me be there then on the DAE show. It's worth listening to and also in great sound.

medleyofcostumes
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by medleyofcostumes »

Cd's start with 2 shows with Londin on drums. Despite Elvis' shows showing signs of slowing down, Londin really kicked a## making the first tour of 1976 really enjoyable to listen. Ron Tutt's drumming at the time was less powerful and incendiary (compared to say 1972), so Londin was a breath of fresh air. Londin was a giant (no pun intended) in the music industry having a very good reputation as a sessionman playing a variety of styles including jazz, country and even hard rock. RIP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

medleyofcostumes
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by medleyofcostumes »

A Larrie Londin tread I started some time back: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82644

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

I think we need to take a big of a deep breath here. A new drummer does not a great show make. While I'm the first to say I find the show in question enjoyable, this is actually the lowest level of performance that was acceptable from a performer such as Elvis (or any "star"). This is not a great show or a very good show - it just seems that way when heard alongside some of the tripe Elvis delivered in the coming months.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

poormadpeter wrote:Considering the amount of shows on FTD from this year, it seems odd that this tour is yet to be documented, and yet is, arguably, the best of the year (certainly on the basis of this disc). The DAE edition is one of the best-sounding soundboards yet released, and Elvis is on "good form for the period."
Exactly my thoughts also... FTD do have soundboards from this tour AND some unreleased ones and it DOES need documentation -so please FTD put out a disc!~ :x

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Robert wrote:The DAE is one of the best sounding shows, period.
Larry is cooking and unlike most soundboards, drums are upfront sounding!

Make no mistake, Ronnie was still a better and more versatile drummer.

I remember being totally being blown away when it came out.
It was hard to believe it was only a semi pro recording.
Not even Ron Tutt would be so audacious as to make that assertion. You must know very little about Larrie Londin (aka Ralph Gallant).

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
promiseland

Post by promiseland »

Matthew wrote:It's kinda sad that the occasional changing of band members is what brought a slight freshness to Elvis' act in 1976.
This was exactly my thoughts also. After hearing Larrie in the mix you can just tell how burned out Ronnie Tutt must have been getting with these same set lists of Olivia Newton John covers and the dive bombs night after night, after night. It was enough to make me post a topic of just what difference one new musician made in '76.

Topic author
promiseland

Post by promiseland »

Robert wrote: Make no mistake, Ronnie was still a better and more versatile drummer.
You are really just joking right?
Please lay the crack pipe down and click on this link for just a minute or two. :wink:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrie_Londin

Larrie is one of the most listened to drummers in the world. He played on more hit records during his career than any other drummer, with the exception of the legendary session drummer Hal Blaine, and his work covers the complete musical spectrum.
James Byron Fox, 1991

Topic author
promiseland

Post by promiseland »

Tomek wrote:Hell even "Love Me" and "Love Me Tender" sound good on that DAE show.
That's also what I noticed - even Teddy Bear, Don't Be Cruel, Love Me, and all the original catalogue hits that are usually just throw-a-ways he did live even sound great with Larrie beating on them! :smt020

Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel -Track 9 DAE CD

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/H3RLL3N5/file.html