More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Matthew

Re: Let Us Now Praise Lincoln Wayne "Chips" Moman

Post by Matthew »

Humbug!

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

In the last few years the majesty of the AMERICAN SOUND SESSIONS HAS become something of a complete revelation for me due to the excellent FTD trilogy of releases and indeed the FEIM Legacy...

Previously I never went near it due to the muddy sounding nature of the material, but now, Wow!

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

a mess of polk salad wrote:In the last few years the majesty of the AMERICAN SOUND SESSIONS HAS become something of a complete revelation for me due to the excellent FTD trilogy of releases and indeed the FEIM Legacy...

Previously I never went near it due to the muddy sounding nature of the material, but now, Wow!
The praise to FTD/Legacy FEIM is very well founded. The main reason being true sounding versions on CD, of the original master recordings. That being said, the original vinyl releases of 1969 in my opinion, sound just fine.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Let Us Now Praise Lincoln Wayne

Post by drjohncarpenter »

jurasic1968 wrote:To me it's very clear: if Elvis recorded in Nashville in January 1969, instead of Suspicious Minds and In the Ghetto we could have average songs, highly unlikely to hit Top 10.
I cannot disagree. What happened at American was a breath of fresh air, and publishing was one of the areas where change was apparent.

Matthew wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:It's great Elvis had Chips Moman in 1969. But nothing was going to stop him in 1969. Yes! "he was up for it"!
There's no doubt in my mind that had Jan (and Feb) 1969 been more Nashville dates the bar would be lower than what he produced at American Sound. And it's questionable that we'd have a series of singles on the level of In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, Don't Cry Daddy, and Kentucky Rain, contemporary peer rivalling quality releases, and an album as well rounded as From Elvis In Memphis.
Indeed, any implication that Presley's enthusiasm alone would have carried the day has forgotten the subsequent March 1969 sessions at Decca Universal Studio in Universal City, helmed by musical director Billy Goldenberg. Elvis was indeed "up for it," but the "Change of Habit" material was spotty, and the musicianship and direction far less creative than in Memphis just weeks before.

American Sound was a very special situation for Elvis. Anyone who questions its unique qualities needs to revisit page 1 of this topic.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

No. The material recorded for "Change Of Habit" In March 1969 was chained to a script. Cannot and should not be compared with the freedom for regular sessions in Memphis and Nashville. I wager no one had guessed that "A Little Bit Of Green" had Elvis completely redo his vocals come September 1969 in Nashville! He was up for it in 1969. And nothing would stop him. Elvis was back!
Last edited by Juan Luis on Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Juan Luis wrote:No. The material recorded for "Change Of Habit" I'm March 1969 was chained to a script. Cannot and should not be compared with the freedom for regular sessions in Memphis and Nashville. I wager no one had guessed that "A Little Bit Of Green" had Elvis completely redo his vocals come September 1969 in Nashville! He was up for it in 1969. And nothing would stop him. Elvis was back!
Yes for one year. Things back to normal in 1970 with a lot of substandard material, same old producer, musicians, and publishing issues. It showed in the massive 1970 Studio B sessions output. A mix of good and mediocre material, with nothing even close to Suspicious Minds, Kentucky Rain, etc. and nothing even close to the chart success he had in 1969. One good album came out of it, with country songs mostly done before by others and no top 10 hit singles. I see that as a big difference from those 69 sessions. Elvis was back but it should have lasted longer than 1 year for great studio work and It got worse from there.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:No. The material recorded for "Change Of Habit" I'm March 1969 was chained to a script. Cannot and should not be compared with the freedom for regular sessions in Memphis and Nashville. I wager no one had guessed that "A Little Bit Of Green" had Elvis completely redo his vocals come September 1969 in Nashville! He was up for it in 1969. And nothing would stop him. Elvis was back!
Yes for one year.
Thank you.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

r&b wrote:
Yes for one year. Things back to normal in 1970 with a lot of substandard material, same old producer, musicians, and publishing issues. It showed in the massive 1970 Studio B sessions output. A mix of good and mediocre material, with nothing even close to Suspicious Minds, Kentucky Rain, etc. and nothing even close to the chart success he had in 1969. One good album came out of it, with country songs mostly done before by others and no top 10 hit singles. I see that as a big difference from those 69 sessions. Elvis was back but it should have lasted longer than 1 year for great studio work and It got worse from there.
The only hit that came from the summer 1970 sessions was You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (number 11 in US and number 9 in UK).

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

r&b wrote:
Indeed, and that one super year was provided for by the release of the American Sound material, starting with "In The Ghetto," a Billboard #3 and Cash Box #1 hit. Notice also the shifting of the goalposts yet again in the "argument." First, it's "Elvis was back" and the venue or producer don''t matter, and now the venue and producer do matter. Again, these are weak, silly comments that do not change the history of what occurred in Memphis in January and February 1969. It's all on page 1, and some people need to read it again.

And it's unclear what the point is about "A Little Bit Of Green." Elvis went to Nashville for a quick overdub session on both live and studio numbers. He did not "completely redo his vocals" on "A Little Bit Of Green," the final master is a mix of the original live vocal and some overdubbing. It gets tiresome having to constantly correct flawed commentary like that, but it's a big world, I guess.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
And it's unclear what the point is about "A Little Bit Of Green." Elvis went to Nashville for a quick overdub session on both live and studio numbers. He did not "completely redo his vocals" on "A Little Bit Of Green," the final master is a mix of the original live vocal and some overdubbing. It gets tiresome having to constantly correct flawed commentary like that, but it's a big world, I guess.
I have the understanding that Elvis made a full vocal replacement of this song in September 1969 and afterwards in the same session some overdubbing was done.

http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/690926.html

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Indeed, and that one super year was provided for by the release of the American Sound material, starting with "In The Ghetto," a Billboard #3 and Cash Box #1 hit. Notice also the shifting of the goalposts yet again in the "argument." First, it's "Elvis was back" and the venue or producer don''t matter, and now the venue and producer do matter. Again, these are weak, silly comments that do not change the history of what occurred in Memphis in January and February 1969. It's all on page 1, and some people need to read it again.

I have the understanding that Elvis made a full vocal replacement of this song in September 1969 and afterwards in the same session some overdubbing was done.

Then that makes you wrong as well. If you owned a copy of Back In Memphis, one-third of the "Memphis American Trilogy" deluxe albums from Follow That Dream, which I discuss on page 1, you would have clearly read this in the booklet notes:

XPA5 1148-03 A Little Bit Of Green
(live and overdubbed vocal)
ORIGINAL ALBUM

Knowing the facts before posting declarative statements helps not only in a discussion, but also in making educated suggestions about other aspects of Elvis' career. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Indeed, and that one super year was provided for by the release of the American Sound material, starting with "In The Ghetto," a Billboard #3 and Cash Box #1 hit. Notice also the shifting of the goalposts yet again in the "argument." First, it's "Elvis was back" and the venue or producer don''t matter, and now the venue and producer do matter. Again, these are weak, silly comments that do not change the history of what occurred in Memphis in January and February 1969. It's all on page 1, and some people need to read it again.

Then that makes you wrong as well. If you owned a copy of Back In Memphis, one-third of the "Memphis American Trilogy" deluxe albums from Follow That Dream, which I discuss on page 1, you would have clearly read this in the booklet notes:

ORIGINAL ALBUM

Knowing the facts before posting declarative statements helps not only in a discussion, but also in making educated suggestions about other aspects of Elvis' career. :smt023
John..I still got the understanding that Elvis re-did his vocals "live" and more overdubbings were done afterwards. Here's the site you trust for ages....just also read the notes...

http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s690925.htm

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:

ORIGINAL ALBUM

John..I still got the understanding that Elvis re-did his vocals "live" and more overdubbings were done afterwards. Here's the site you trust for ages....just also read the notes...

http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s690925.htm
Yes. The vocal was COMPLETELY redone. Also Charlie Hodge added harmony at that session. Doc is INCORRECT.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

ORIGINAL ALBUM

I think the reason why Elvis had to re-do his vocal track completely was because he had a sore throat that day. And it was not the only song he had to re-do. Just read "A Life In Music" by E. Joergensen.

I think you got it wrong, John......not me.

"Live and overdubbed vocal" means that Elvis sang live in the studio (the vocal replacement) and overdubs (by Charlie Hodge) were done shortly afterwards in the same session.

Oh..I own all 3 parts of the Memphis Anthology and read the booklets.

When Keith Flynn is reading these lines he could shed some more light into these vocal replacements. He is the man when it comes to such things.
Last edited by Ciscoking on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Ciscoking wrote:I think the reason why Elvis had to re-do his vocal track completely was because he had a sore throat that day. And it was not the only song he had to re-do.
The song was abandoned and not worked on until September. Whereas other songs vocals by Elvis were fixed, repaired. It seems this wasn't a Chips cup of tea song. But Elvis liked it enough to work it out to his satisfaction before it became a worthy cut of the double album. At the end of the day. It was Elvis' call in 1969.

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

Indeed, and that one super year
was provided for by the release of the American Sound material, starting with "In The Ghetto," a Billboard #3 and Cash Box #1 hit. Notice also the shifting of the goalposts yet again in the "argument." First, it's "Elvis was back" and the venue or producer don''t matter, and now the venue and producer do matter. Again, these are weak, silly comments that do not change the history of what occurred in Memphis in January and February 1969. It's all on page 1, and some people need to read it again.

Indeed it was. There was a feeling in the air since the TV Special and In The Ghetto that every single from now on was going to be worthy and a possible hit, a feeling that hadnt been in many a year. One of the baffling things about 1969 however , is the failure of Clean Up Your Own Backyard. When it came out I thought it might have even been part of those historic sessions. It had the soul and feel to the American songs and it had dynamite lyrics for the time period. I thought it was going to be a smash. One of the flops in an otherwise stellar year and one of the mysteries to this day. Song should be more well known (although a bit dated now).

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

a mess of polk salad wrote:In the last few years the majesty of the AMERICAN SOUND SESSIONS HAS become something of a complete revelation for me due to the excellent FTD trilogy of releases and indeed the FEIM Legacy...

The original singles and LPs never sounded muddy to these ears, but the FTD "Memphis American Trilogy" is just so darned good it blows away all the releases that came before. If you want to hear the magic Elvis, Chips and the American musicians made in 1969 in best-ever sound, go back to page 1, write down the titles of those FTD releases, and get them asap!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

dn39sed
Registered for: 13 years

Post by dn39sed »

Hi John -- enjoyed your post about American. I maintain a blog about the American Studio Rhythm section at http://soulfulmusic.blogspot.com/. Couple of things re your post -- Roben Jones is a she not a he -- I did an interview with her several years back that you can read on my blog (http://soulfulmusic.blogspot.com/2009/11/roben-jones-interview.html). Also, the interview of mine that you reference at http://www.georgiamusic.info/2008/11/lagrange-native-chips-moman-talks-about.html was done in 2001 although not posted on georgiamusic.info (another site of mine) site until 2008. I originally did the interview for an online magazine in summer of 2001.

Take care and keep up the good work!

-Allen

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

dn39sed wrote:Hi John -- enjoyed your post about American. I maintain a blog about the American Studio Rhythm section at http://soulfulmusic.blogspot.com/. Couple of things re your post -- Roben Jones is a she not a he -- I did an interview with her several years back that you can read on my blog (http://soulfulmusic.blogspot.com/2009/11/roben-jones-interview.html). Also, the interview of mine that you reference at http://www.georgiamusic.info/2008/11/lagrange-native-chips-moman-talks-about.html was done in 2001 although not posted on georgiamusic.info (another site of mine) site until 2008. I originally did the interview for an online magazine in summer of 2001.

Take care and keep up the good work!

-Allen
Thank you so much for the kind words. I have updated my original posting, and I encourage everyone to check out your wonderful American Sound blog, especially the latest entry:

http://soulfulmusic.blogspot.com/2015/07/let-us-now-praise-lincoln-wayne-moman.html

:D

Here's a nice video from 2011 of Ms. Roben Jones discussing her wonderful book:

Roben Jones - The Memphis Boys

Hope you have time to enjoy this forum, there are tons of excellent topics on Elvis' music and career. Some are even revelatory.

::rocks

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by promiseland »

Juan Luis wrote:

The praise to FTD/Legacy FEIM is very well founded. The main reason being true sounding versions on CD, of the original master recordings. That being said, the original vinyl releases of 1969 in my opinion, sound just fine.
I couldn't agree more, and as I said before the Back In Memphis FTD (just to name one) sounds just soo damn good! Just about all the USA official vinyl releases sound excellent, I spin them frequently.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
Indeed, and that one super year was provided for by the release of the American Sound material, starting with "In The Ghetto," a Billboard #3 and Cash Box #1 hit. Notice also the shifting of the goalposts yet again in the "argument." First, it's "Elvis was back" and the venue or producer don''t matter, and now the venue and producer do matter. Again, these are weak, silly comments that do not change the history of what occurred in Memphis in January and February 1969. It's all on page 1, and some people need to read it again.

John....you agree now that it was a full vocal replacement and not like you said a partly one..?
I want to get this straight. I am no sessions expert.
Last edited by Ciscoking on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

promiseland wrote:I couldn't agree more, and as I said before the Back In Memphis FTD (just to name one) sounds just soo damn good!
Indeed!

Sebastian Jeansson and Vic Anesini are to be praised for their top-notch audio work on the three FTD Memphis releases!

From Elvis In Memphis: Mastered by Sebastian Jeansson. Mixes by Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson.

Back In Memphis: Mastered by Sebastian Jeansson. Mixes by Vic Anesini.

At American Sound Studio: Mixed and Mastered by Sebastian Jeansson and Vic Anesini.

It's awesome to have a dedicated, deep fan along with a world-class mixing and mastering engineer working on so many Presley releases!

:smt023

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by promiseland »

Matthew wrote:
promiseland wrote:I couldn't agree more, and as I said before the Back In Memphis FTD (just to name one) sounds just soo damn good!
Indeed!

Sebastian Jeansson and Vic Anesini are to be praised for their top-notch audio work on the three FTD Memphis releases!

From Elvis In Memphis: Mastered by Sebastian Jeansson. Mixes by Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson.

Back In Memphis: Mastered by Sebastian Jeansson. Mixes by Vic Anesini.

At American Sound Studio: Mixed and Mastered by Sebastian Jeansson and Vic Anesini.

It's awesome to have a dedicated, deep fan along with a world-class mixing and mastering engineer working on so many Presley releases!

:smt023
Just $19.95 :wink:
Pot-stirrer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

ORIGINAL ALBUM

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

John....you agree now that it was a full vocal replacement and not like you said a partly one..?
I want to get this straight. I am no sessions expert.
John..?......Your answer is greatly appreciated ..

James27

Post by James27 »

Thanks for another superb topic, Doc! ::rocks It is heartwarming that some people still care enough about Elvis and about music to invest their time and energy into bringing interesting facts, articles, pictures etc. together for other fans to enjoy.
Last edited by James27 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.