Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Bill Tanner
Registered for: 12 years

Elvis' 1961 musical plan?

Post by Bill Tanner »

At the beginning of the 1962-64 ('The Formula') chapter of Ernst's recording sessions, he offers an interesting snippet that might be worth looking into.

... the previous year, along with Red & Charlie ... Elvis had been planning to rework some old public domain songs for which Freddy would have little trouble obtaining new copyrights.
p166 of my hardback A Life In Music

Ernst says, it's around this time that Elvis, Charlie and Red wrote new words to Begin The Beguine, (only to have the Cole Porter guys say no to the releasing/publishing of it), so they re-worked it as You'll Be Gone.

Given that Begin The Beguine certainly wasn't public domain, I can only imagine Elvis' plan meant writing words to classical and traditional pieces, (in the way Love Me Tender, It's Now Or Never, Surrender and (possibly) Can't Help Falling In Love were written).

It seems like Red and Charlie were in on Elvis' musical plan. There's only Red left, I wonder if he remembers any specific classical or traditional tunes Elvis worked on?

"Christ - I miss the cold war"

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Elvis' 1961 musical plan?

Post by brian »

You know Elvis Presley would come up with ideas but then lose interest in them.

Topic author
Bill Tanner

Post by Bill Tanner »

brian wrote:You know Elvis Presley would come up with ideas but then lose interest in them.
Thanks for that, Brian.

"Christ - I miss the cold war"

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

Bill Tanner wrote:... the previous year, along with Red & Charlie ... Elvis had been planning to rework some old public domain songs for which Freddy would have little trouble obtaining new copyrights.

Ernst says, it's around this time that Elvis, Charlie and Red wrote new words to Begin The Beguine, (only to have the Cole Porter guys say no to the releasing/publishing of it), so they re-worked it as You'll Be Gone.

Given that Begin The Beguine certainly wasn't public domain, I can only imagine Elvis' plan meant writing words to classical and traditional pieces, (in the way Love Me Tender, It's Now Or Never, Surrender and (possibly) Can't Help Falling In Love were written).

It seems like Red and Charlie were in on Elvis' musical plan.
If there was such a plan, they would be the guys. Interesting possibility.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I haven't read any interview with Red West about this. Would be very good idea for someone that has access to him to ask if he remembers. And while at it, to remind him of some tapes he maybe had not gotten around to checking.

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

Juan Luis wrote:I haven't read any interview with Red West about this. Would be very good idea for someone that has access to him to ask if he remembers. And while at it, to remind him of some tapes he maybe had not gotten around to checking.
Well, on the 11th July, Red West will be in London doing an event thanks to Essential Elvis and im sure there will be chance to ask Red some questions.

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by EPA4368 »

Bodie wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:I haven't read any interview with Red West about this. Would be very good idea for someone that has access to him to ask if he remembers. And while at it, to remind him of some tapes he maybe had not gotten around to checking.
Well, on the 11th July, Red West will be in London doing an event thanks to Essential Elvis and im sure there will be chance to ask Red some questions.

That would be great Bodie :smt023

'61 was a pivotal year for Elvis! It would be interesting to know what career direction Elvis was thinking from someone like Red.

CONFEDERATELVIS
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by CONFEDERATELVIS »

Anyone going to Essential Elvis' Saturday Night with Red at Canary Wharf - maybe they could ask him

You're a doctor too so your three doctors - Basil Fawlty