Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
CountCanada
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Suspicion

Post by CountCanada »

Elvis or Terry Stafford...which do you prefer?
Did Elvis hear Terry's version?

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Re: Suspicion

Post by Dan_T »

One of my fav's since I was a Kid....God only knows why it wasn't a Single at the time.

I like Terry Stafford's version, but, imo, Elvis' is the real deal. :)

jbnva58
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by jbnva58 »

From the underrated "Pot Luck" album-this should have been Elvis' second single of 1962.I love "Shes Not You",but this song is superior,possibly No. 1.
Staffords effort,to me was an exaggerated Elvis knock off,just listen to Elvis' understated vocal compared to Staffords.
A lost chance at a Gold number one.

OnStage55
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Mood:

Post by OnStage55 »

jbnva58 wrote:From the underrated "Pot Luck" album-this should have been Elvis' second single of 1962.I love "Shes Not You",but this song is superior,possibly No. 1.
Staffords effort,to me was an exaggerated Elvis knock off,just listen to Elvis' understated vocal compared to Staffords.
A lost chance at a Gold number one.
I agree. :smt023

Elvis version is the best hands down, one of my favorites, love it. :D

Shoulda Coulda Woulda been a hit as a single if released in 62 i think. Elvis vocal on this song is wonderful.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I like the female backup singers when they sing the word "suspicion" on Stafford's. But as for the lead vocal, Elvis' version wins handily.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

ELVIS!

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Fish
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Fish »

skatterbrane wrote:I like the female backup singers when they sing the word "suspicion" on Stafford's. But as for the lead vocal, Elvis' version wins handily.
Haha, that is the one thing I think ruins the song.
Elvis' version is indeed much better; understated and would have been a definite winner if released as a single.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

ELVIS.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Elvis version all the way,not a fan of a certain instrument during the song though.......

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

CountCanada wrote:Elvis or Terry Stafford...which do you prefer?
Did Elvis hear Terry's version?
:facep:

londonflash
Registered for: 21 years

Post by londonflash »

Without question, Elvis.

It's a gorgeous recording.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by matilda »

If only he had sung it in 1968 with his "out of the cage vocal approach" nobody would have talked about the original master of suspicion anyway.....because than it had to be inferior to 1968.

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

Elvis' version is the definitive version for me and it amazes me when you go onto say youtube, the amount of comments where people think that Stafford's version is the original just cause it was released as a single in '64 and Elvis' version wasn't in '62 and these are from so-called Elvis fans.

The master take of Elvis' version has a slight mistake in it and don't understand why it was missed.

In the second verse Elvis stutters the word 'Just' in the line 'Why should our romance just keep on causing me such sorrow?'

r&b

Post by r&b »

Elvis by a mile. This song was better than any single Elvis release of 1962. If Elvis surely chose the songs for single releases, I cant see how he didnt think this was more radio friendly than She's Not You for a summer release. Missed chance for a number one.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Bodie wrote:Elvis' version is the definitive version for me
agree
Bodie wrote:and it amazes me when you go onto say youtube, the amount of comments where people think that Stafford's version is the original just cause it was released as a single in '64 and Elvis' version wasn't in '62 and these are from so-called Elvis fans.
...the fact that it was released as a single is clearly the reason why...there is no "just cause" (at a time when singles were dominate with radio airplay) it makes total sense...sadly Elvis, RCA or whoever made a big mistake!!

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Elvis made the decision to go with She's not you over Suspicion as a single in 1962. It would have allegedly been Such an easy question as the B-side if Elvis had chosen Suspicion.

I agree a potential #1 hit.

RonBaker2003
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by RonBaker2003 »

Elvis followed by Bobby Russell (Ed Hardin was his pseudonym on Hit Records) and then Terry.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

brian wrote:Elvis made the decision to go with She's not you over Suspicion as a single in 1962. It would have allegedly been Such an easy question as the B-side if Elvis had chosen Suspicion.

'She's Not You was a commercial hit, especially in the UK where it reached No.1

Then Elvis' only Christmas No.1 was 'Return To Sender released at the end of 1962.

Maybe 'Suspicion' could have been released as a A-side single in early 1963 as Elvis only released 3 singles in that year. The first being 'One Broken Heart For Sale' which failed to get in the top 10.

It was released as the B-side to 'Kiss Me Quick' in 1964 which i think is a much more weaker song.

brian

Post by brian »

Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:Elvis made the decision to go with She's not you over Suspicion as a single in 1962. It would have allegedly been Such an easy question as the B-side if Elvis had chosen Suspicion.

Then Elvis' only Christmas No.1 was 'Return To Sender released at the end of 1962.

Maybe 'Suspicion' could have been released as a A-side single in early 1963 as Elvis only released 3 singles in that year. The first being 'One Broken Heart For Sale' which failed to get in the top 10.

It was released as the B-side to 'Kiss Me Quick' in 1964 which i think is a much more weaker song.
In the United States it only reached #5 and it wasn't a million seller.

Fans from the United States point out that Suspicion was the more commercial of the two and more likely to sell a million copies and hit #1.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:

In the United States it only reached #5 and it wasn't a million seller.

Fans from the United States point out that Suspicion was the more commercial of the two and more likely to sell a million copies and hit #1.
I do agree.
Even though 'She's Not You' was a hit, it didn't do as well as other singles around that time.

'Suspicion' would have been the better choice and i feel that as much as 'She's Not You' went to No. 1 in the UK, that 'Suspicion' would have also reached the top spot in the UK.

brian

Post by brian »

Perhaps in the U.K. both She's not you and Suspicion could have been released as singles in 1962.

I say that because in the U.K. they always found a way to squeeze in more single releases than they did in America.

I don't know how but they often did it.

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

r&b wrote:Elvis by a mile. This song was better than any single Elvis release of 1962. If Elvis surely chose the songs for single releases, I cant see how he didnt think this was more radio friendly than She's Not You for a summer release. Missed chance for a number one.
I personally enjoy "She's Not You" more than "Suspicion".

As for the topic in hand, I can't stand Stafford's cover, it's horrible.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

Elfan
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Elfan »

I like both 'She's Not You' and 'Suspicion'. Ideally 'Suspicion' should have been released instead of 'One Broken Heart For Sale' but I guess they wanted to promote the movie.
'Suspicion' was eventually released as a single in the U.K in 1976 and peaked at #9 on the chart.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

No matter how great Suspicion is, I still believe that She's Not You coupled with Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello was a wonderful single. There was clearly a quality drop right after it.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

jeanno wrote:No matter how great Suspicion is, I still believe that She's Not You coupled with Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello was a wonderful single. There was clearly a quality drop right after it.
I wouldn't say Return To Sender was a quality drop from She's Not You.