Re: It Hurts Me 63 or 68?

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

Amen.

Steve Binder saved his life!

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Xaykev »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Presley isn't singing about "fun," he's laying out the difference between life and death, about finding redemption. In June 1968, he chooses life.
Really?

I miss you, Elvis!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

r&b wrote:
fn2drive wrote:Whether they in general surpass the original masters isnt the story. What is imo is that over the days at Burbank, he fought off the straightjacket that had confined him for years and in toto created among the greatest rock and roll ever recorded. The sit down shows had 2 instruments and a guitar case and of course Elvis voice. Yet it feels as if there was a whole band because of his exhuberance and passion. There is no way to adequately describe just how much he needed to break free. Perhaps a more apt description was he was fighting for his soul.
Right and lets not forget it was the incredible creative Steve Binder who liked the idea of the sitdown after witnessing the dressing room rehearsals. He let Elvis out of his cage so to speak. Steve sometimes gets overlooked for what is perhaps the defining moment in Elvis' 1960's career. The raw talent was always there, but someone had to unleash it. Thank you Steve!
Yup. I've often cited Steve Binder as one of the great collaborations Presley ever had. He's right up there with Sam Phillips at Sun, and Chips Moman at American.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

r&b wrote:Right and lets not forget it was the incredible creative Steve Binder who liked the idea of the sitdown after witnessing the dressing room rehearsals. He let Elvis out of his cage so to speak.
Not really. Elvis never looked comfortable sat down, and was looking for an excuse to stand up, I think I'll put a strap around this and stand up. The stand up segments are the only parts that bear repeated watching.

It Hurts Me - 68 version. Compelling. One of only three songs on which Elvis bettered the originals in '68. Love Me Tender and Let Yourself Go being the other two.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Eggrert »

mike edwards66 wrote:Elvis never looked comfortable sat down, and was looking for an excuse to stand up, I think I'll put a strap around this and stand up. The stand up segments are the only parts that bear repeated watching.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way!

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

mike edwards66 wrote:
r&b wrote:Right and lets not forget it was the incredible creative Steve Binder who liked the idea of the sitdown after witnessing the dressing room rehearsals. He let Elvis out of his cage so to speak.
Not really. Elvis never looked comfortable sat down, and was looking for an excuse to stand up, I think I'll put a strap around this and stand up. The stand up segments are the only parts that bear repeated watching.

It Hurts Me - 68 version. Compelling. One of only three songs on which Elvis bettered the originals in '68. Love Me Tender and Let Yourself Go being the other two.
You mean compared to the fact that he looked pasty and was visibly shaking in Stand up 1 til about 3 nu,bers in. No confidence. Sheer terror. He was relaxed in both sit downs. They all bear up to repeated viewing.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
fn2drive wrote:Whether they in general surpass the original masters isnt the story. What is imo is that over the days at Burbank, he fought off the straightjacket that had confined him for years and in toto created among the greatest rock and roll ever recorded. The sit down shows had 2 instruments and a guitar case and of course Elvis voice. Yet it feels as if there was a whole band because of his exhuberance and passion. There is no way to adequately describe just how much he needed to break free. Perhaps a more apt description was he was fighting for his soul.
Right and lets not forget it was the incredible creative Steve Binder who liked the idea of the sitdown after witnessing the dressing room rehearsals. He let Elvis out of his cage so to speak. Steve sometimes gets overlooked for what is perhaps the defining moment in Elvis' 1960's career. The raw talent was always there, but someone had to unleash it. Thank you Steve!
Yup. I've often cited Steve Binder as one of the great collaborations Presley ever had. He's right up there with Sam Phillips at Sun, and Chips Moman at American.
Sam Phillips is up there by himself.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Juan Luis wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
Alongside Felton Jarvis.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

midnightx wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
Alongside Felton Jarvis.
No.

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

Steve Binder has given Elvis all the credit for the Special being perceived how it is today. The live segments anyway.

And I was more than a little surprised when Patti Parry stated in an interview some years back that Elvis didn't really get along with Steve Binder !

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

1964, when Elvis was still lean, mean & kickin' butt! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

He was even leaner, meaner & kickin' ASS!! in '68. Bye for now :smt006.

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
Yes you have given the man his just due over several different discussions.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
promiseland wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
Agree!, but 1964 was still a cool year for Elvis. 1964 January Nashville recordings, Roustabout & Girl Happy :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Fish
Registered for: 9 years

Post by Fish »

promiseland wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
Agree!, but 1964 was still a cool year for Elvis. 1964 January Nashville recordings, Roustabout & Girl Happy :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.
How is Girl Happy / Girl Happy soundtrack cool? And those January sessions hardly resulted in 12 great (cool) songs...

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I like both....one thing came to my mind..on the bootleg vinyl The 68 Comeback with have the version with this unique instrumental break..can someone shed some like on this..why was this done...is it from the soundtrack or an alternate scene..?

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

r&b

Post by r&b »

promiseland wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
1964 was anything but a cool year for Elvis. In fact, it was the year he became uncool in my school.

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

1964 unquestionably. That recording was the end of an era.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

elvisarsenal
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by elvisarsenal »

1964.... Elvis was near his peak for ballads (along with big love big heartache)..... Two tracks I would take to a desert island to listen to time and time again :-)

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I have always liked Big Love, Big Heartache too.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

fn2drive wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:Elvis never looked comfortable sat down, and was looking for an excuse to stand up, I think I'll put a strap around this and stand up. The stand up segments are the only parts that bear repeated watching.

You mean compared to the fact that he looked pasty and was visibly shaking in Stand up 1 til about 3 nu,bers in. No confidence. Sheer terror. He was relaxed in both sit downs. They all bear up to repeated viewing.
No. Binder badly missed a trick. What he should have done was put Elvis, for the first time in seven years, on a stage. Put the King on a stage, not a boxing ring, point a camera at him, and watch him find himself. That would have been your magic, right there.

As it played, it was a disjointed and jumbled affair. The sit-down segment should have been, could have been, pegged to five minutes maximum, and used in place of the lame production numbers to provide brief narrative. Instead of that, we know an uncomfortable Elvis resorted to reading his script, and asking for a strap, so he could stand up.

The only saving grace, the stand-up segment, whilst not without glaring flaws, offers a tantalizing glimpse of what might have been.

Eggrert wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way!
Thank you buddy!

>>>

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

There was great stuff from the sit-down shows. But, was he uncomfortable? No doubt.

Lohmax
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Lohmax »

Image Image Image

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

mike edwards66 wrote:
fn2drive wrote:You mean compared to the fact that he looked pasty and was visibly shaking in Stand up 1 til about 3 nu,bers in. No confidence. Sheer terror. He was relaxed in both sit downs. They all bear up to repeated viewing.
No. Binder badly missed a trick. ...

As it played, it was a disjointed and jumbled affair. The sit-down segment should have been, could have been, pegged to five minutes maximum ...
If only Felton Jarvis had been at NBC Burbank in June 1968. :D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
fn2drive wrote:You mean compared to the fact that he looked pasty and was visibly shaking in Stand up 1 til about 3 nu,bers in. No confidence. Sheer terror. He was relaxed in both sit downs. They all bear up to repeated viewing.
No. Binder badly missed a trick. ...

As it played, it was a disjointed and jumbled affair. The sit-down segment should have been, could have been, pegged to five minutes maximum ...
If only Felton Jarvis had been at NBC Burbank in June 1968.

What is your point, brother? Felton? Couldn't a hurt any. We might have ended up with a show we occasionally watch.

>>>