Are we gonna get a Nov. '76 soundboard from FTD?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Are we gonna get a Nov. '76 soundboard from FTD?

Post by memphisound »

If these shows from 1976 November are considered great, what do you call the On tour shows, or Aloha, or even TTWII? :facep:

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Kenneth wrote:Nov 71! Nov 76??? Hmm...
Personally, I'll take all of the soundboards from 1971 and 1976! I just like Elvis. It's important to me that my Elvis catalogue reflect him and his work at each stage of his career.

Trying to compare shows from 1971 to 1976 is not fair, IMHO. Each show should be evaluated on its own merits. There are many factors which impact each show, factors which the general public may not have knowledge of. Many factors have been reported over the years and some sources are probably more reliable than others. Nevertheless, for this fan, the man gave us what he gave us, and I appreciate his efforts.

rlj

StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

rlj4ep wrote:
Kenneth wrote:Nov 71! Nov 76??? Hmm...
Personally, I'll take all of the soundboards from 1971 and 1976! I just like Elvis. It's important to me that my Elvis catalogue reflect him and his work at each stage of his career.

Trying to compare shows from 1971 to 1976 is not fair, IMHO. Each show should be evaluated on its own merits. There are many factors which impact each show, factors which the general public may not have knowledge of. Many factors have been reported over the years and some sources are probably more reliable than others. Nevertheless, for this fan, the man gave us what he gave us, and I appreciate his efforts.

rlj
I agree on most points, but why wouldn't it be fair to compare a 1976 performance to a 1971 performance ? It's not like they are decades apart. Comparing 1976 to 1956 wouldn't be fair, but comparing any concert given between 1969 - 1977 is fair game in my opinion.

I'd also like to see a November 1976 soundboard released by FTD to fill a gap, but I'd prefer FTD to first release some more '71 - '73 material.

YDKM
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by YDKM »

:? the trouble about 71-73 material is i believe its basic unavailability!~
why surely in the future the only way for FTD to fill in some missing tours will be to re-release more of VERY BEST AUDIENCE recordings if nothing is available!~
however 74,76 they do have PLENTY of material!! 8) :lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Matthew wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Indeed this November tour was great....
Utter nonsense.

:wink:
Good one...Matthew.. :lol: ..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years

Post by vinelvis »

Ciscoking wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Indeed this November tour was great....
Utter nonsense.

:wink:
Good one...Matthew.. :lol: ..
LOL. I completely agree with Ciscoking.

OnTourCam

Post by OnTourCam »

what about the Hawaii shows from 1972 any word if these gigs got recorded on soundboard or multi track what do fans think of these shows good bad average ?

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by robbie »

OnTourCam wrote:what about the Hawaii shows from 1972 any word if these gigs got recorded on soundboard or multi track what do fans think of these shows good bad average ?
Soundboards are believed to be in private hands

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

There's plenty of Anaheim footage: perhaps FTD can package up another "Prince" CD/DVD combo? Hint, Ernst!

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Sergio Luiz

Post by Sergio Luiz »

I would love something like prince from another planet format.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

rlj4ep wrote:Trying to compare shows from 1971 to 1976 is not fair, IMHO.
I don't agree. One the 36 year old star is performing to a generally high standard, the other the (only) 41 year old star is performing the worst shows ever.

Only 5 years separate these.

And it is not like we're talking about a star at the end of his expected natural life. Elvis passed at the young age of 42.

He wasn't terminally ill.

He wasn't elderly.

He succumbed to his own lifestyle.

When Elvis takes to the stage in 1976 the witness experiences Elvis' drug issues right there, every single time. It's written all over his face, his physique, and sadly, and most tellingly his voice.

His voice didn't develop that thin, wavering, difficult to control quality through overuse. It hadn't "matured", it was ravaged by his health.

Elvis is my favourite vocalist, and I feel sad for him every single time I listen to a show from this period. That's not the real Elvis.

He's lost his joy, he's lost his passion, and for the most part he has just given up.

elvisistheman
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by elvisistheman »

Matthew wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:Trying to compare shows from 1971 to 1976 is not fair, IMHO.
I don't agree. One the 36 year old star is performing to a generally high standard, the other the (only) 41 year old star is performing the worst shows ever.

Only 5 years separate these.

And it is not like we're talking about a star at the end of his expected natural life. Elvis passed at the young age of 42.

He wasn't terminally ill.

He wasn't elderly.

He succumbed to his own lifestyle.

When Elvis takes to the stage in 1976 the witness experiences Elvis' drug issues right there, every single time. It's written all over his face, his physique, and sadly, and most tellingly his voice.

His voice didn't develop that thin, wavering, difficult to control quality through overuse. It hadn't "matured", it was ravaged by his health.

Elvis is my favourite vocalist, and I feel sad for him every single time I listen to a show from this period. That's not the real Elvis.

He's lost his joy, he's lost his passion, and for the most part he has just given up.
I agree with almost everything that you wrote here, Matthew-- and yet, I still buy concert recordings of Elvis in '76 (and I even have the "Spring Tours '77" FTD). I know (because it is glaringly obvious) that such concerts don't come close to giving us Elvis at his best, or his second-best, or third-best. Sometimes, they can make for difficult listening. However, they are still a real part of the Elvis story.

I respectfully disagree with you on a '76 show not being the "real Elvis." That is Elvis-- in rough shape, and with diminished vocal ability, to be sure, but still Elvis. Even with "Elvis in Concert," I enjoy his versions of "You Gave Me A Mountain" and "How Great Thou Art." Most of the rest is very hard for me to listen to (and I almost never do listen to it), but even in his lowest moments, at times, the vocal power and brilliance come through.

I'm not a "last-two-years" Elvis apologist. I would never say that his shows from this period are "great." Even the New Years' Eve show, while very good by the poor standards of that year, utterly pales in comparison to his shows of '69-'72. I'm also not much of a fan of the "From Elvis Presley Boulevard" album. However, I still do collect concerts from the last two years, because as I wrote above, they are a real part of the Elvis story, and, at times, his vocal ability does shine through in them.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

They may be (tragic) parts of Elvis' story, but they sure don't represent the "real Elvis."

We know what the real Elvis was capable of, sans extreme drug impairment. Elvis in 1976 after proper rehabilitation and want, could have easily shone his true talent on the world. The guy was still young.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Ciscoking is well aware of THE show to release from that November tour!!! Am I right Ciscoking?? :wink:

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

A blank CD?

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

Matthew wrote:They may be (tragic) parts of Elvis' story, but they sure don't represent the "real Elvis."

We know what the real Elvis was capable of, sans extreme drug impairment. Elvis in 1976 after proper rehabilitation and want, could have easily shone his true talent on the world. The guy was still young.
I agree with you. No argument from me here. I'm only saying that where Elvis was at in '76 (often extremely impaired by drugs) is the real story, and therefore, that was the "real Elvis" at that time. It's certainly not the Elvis that we wish to have been on-stage at that time, giving consistently great, committed performances, but it is the real Elvis of that time.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Elvis struggled. Did not give-up during a time rehab was virtually unknown and shrinks were still for crazy people. And that even doesn't stop people from dying today. I understand why other pop/rock acts dying much younger get a free pass. Their youth is what prevented them from us seeing the slower decline of Elvis in them. But Elvis reached heights greater than all of them put together by age 21. And we thankfully never saw Elvis in his twenties sloppily high and or a drunken mess. 42 was way too young for Elvis. But these kids dying before thirty was a travesty! And not cool! Too sad.
I am happy to have everything he gave us right to the end. Everything. I Wish he would have overcome his demons and still be around.

G.I. Blues
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by G.I. Blues »

elvis-fan wrote:Ciscoking is well aware of THE show to release from that November tour!!! Am I right Ciscoking?? :wink:
As we are talking FTD, I would bet it will then be the show that is already out for ages: San Francisco November 28 :mrgreen:

Daddy has left the Wohnzimmer!
Thank You and Good Night!

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

Juan Luis wrote:Elvis struggled. Did not give-up during a time rehab was virtually unknown and shrinks were still for crazy people. And that even doesn't stop people from dying today. I understand why other pop/rock acts dying much younger get a free pass. Their youth is what prevented them from us seeing the slower decline of Elvis in them. But Elvis reached heights greater than all of them put together by age 21. And we thankfully never saw Elvis in his twenties sloppily high and or a drunken mess. 42 was way too young for Elvis. But these kids dying before thirty was a travesty! And not cool! Too sad.
I am happy to have everything he gave us right to the end. Everything. I Wish he would have overcome his demons and still be around.
I agree with you on all counts, Juan. Thank you for this thoughtful comment. ::rocks

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisistheman wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Elvis struggled. Did not give-up during a time rehab was virtually unknown and shrinks were still for crazy people. And that even doesn't stop people from dying today. I understand why other pop/rock acts dying much younger get a free pass. Their youth is what prevented them from us seeing the slower decline of Elvis in them. But Elvis reached heights greater than all of them put together by age 21. And we thankfully never saw Elvis in his twenties sloppily high and or a drunken mess. 42 was way too young for Elvis. But these kids dying before thirty was a travesty! And not cool! Too sad.
I agree with you on all counts, Juan. Thank you for this thoughtful comment. ::rocks
The comment is well-meant, but reads like someone making excuses. Which "pop/rock acts dying much younger" got a "free pass"? And to try and hypocritically argue that Elvis should get a free pass because he lived into his forties while showing a marked decline in his public work is absurd. I'm not even going to address in depth the "we thankfully never saw Elvis in his twenties sloppily high." Really, how is that a strong argument for Presley?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

G.I. Blues wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Ciscoking is well aware of THE show to release from that November tour!!! Am I right Ciscoking?? :wink:
As we are talking FTD, I would bet it will then be the show that is already out for ages: San Francisco November 28 :mrgreen:
Nope... wouldn't make much sense to release that show...

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I purposely left that one blank. This being an Elvis board, I don't have the need to defend or make excuses for the others and will not mention them by name. And the only excuse for addiction is that it IS recognised disease by the AMA. As for "free Pass". If you read carefully you would have come to the conclusion I meant no one should get a free pass. And is for the wrong reasons when they do, a lot of the times I have observed. As for the drunken high argument. I also enjoy looking at the 1950's Elvis as a young, clean, mean, rocking machine. Shouldn't everyone? It's just sadder to lose the kids at an even younger age that way. Get's to me.

Doc said:
"The comment is well-meant, but reads like someone making excuses. Which "pop/rock acts dying much younger" got a "free pass"? And to try and hypocritically argue that Elvis should get a free pass because he lived into his forties while showing a marked decline in his public work is absurd. I'm not even going to address in depth the "we thankfully never saw Elvis in his twenties sloppily high." Really, how is that a strong argument for Presley?"

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisistheman wrote:
The comment is well-meant, but reads like someone making excuses. Which "pop/rock acts dying much younger" got a "free pass"? And to try and hypocritically argue that Elvis should get a free pass because he lived into his forties while showing a marked decline in his public work is absurd. I'm not even going to address in depth the "we thankfully never saw Elvis in his twenties sloppily high." Really, how is that a strong argument for Presley?
I don't see Juan making excuses for Elvis (as he explains above). I definitely don't make excuses for Elvis. The hard reality is, he achieved perhaps the most incredible, world-wide fame of any popular music singer ever (though Frank Sinatra and Michael Jackson come close on an international level), but he decidedly did not ever, in his entire lifetime, achieve the emotional and psychological maturity that is necessary to healthily navigate that fame-- a fame which is unimaginable to regular Joes and Janes, such as all of us on this board.

The longer that I read and learn about Elvis and his major life decisions, the more shocked that I am, at times, to see just how very, very poor some of those decisions were. (I do think that he was a wonderful human being in many ways; I don't want anyone to think that I'm turning into an Elvis-basher here either!!) The reasons for why Elvis made those poor decisions are widely varied.

I believe that some of them had to do with an unhealthily intense and enduring emotional attachment to his mother, which he never overcame, and which helped to wreck his marriage and which led to problems in his relations with women in general, and quite possibly, other emotional and psychological problems. (My own mother died suddenly, and violently, when I was nine years old, so I do perhaps have more sympathy for Elvis in his bad relationship decisions than some people would, but I still don't want to make excuses for him. I've never been a serial philanderer as he was to be sure!)

In retrospect, it seems that Elvis could have done so many things differently. It frustrates me to no end, sometimes, to think of him surrounding himself with the insular environment of the Memphis Mafia, and living with some of the ways of a much younger (and foolish) man, well into his thirties and even his early forties, and constantly taking heavy medications to go to sleep and to get up, and regularly seeing other women, even when he was married or in serious relationships, and not breaking away from the Colonel and being more of an independent, fearless person (artistically and otherwise), and having incredibly poor eating habits. I have no blinders on about Elvis, and I see all of these flaws in him, and I see how they terribly affected his studio recording career, his concerts, and his personal life. I see how, together, these flaws led him to a tragically early grave. It was an incredible shame.

At the very same time, though (and this is part of the tension that I personally live with, as a serious Elvis fan and collector), I can't stop wanting to hear the man, at all points of his career (even the heartbreaking points!), because for me, 1974-77 are just as much a part of the story of the "real Elvis" as 1954-58. The "real Elvis," i.e. not the one we wish for, but the real, actual Elvis, was obviously in a bad way in '74-77. In that vein, I have to honestly ask myself, is the work of '74-77 as artistically vibrant and compelling as '54-58? On-stage, definitely not, for the most part. In the studio, also not, really… but it's a bit of a loaded question for me, because while nothing is more purely exciting and life-affirming than the young Elvis at his peak, I do also truly love the latter-day, more emotionally complex Elvis which one hears in songs such as "Loving Arms" and Good Time Charlies' Got the Blues." I do wish that he would have regularly sung these songs, and others like them, live!! Ahh, the tension of being an Elvis fan!! :-)

If only he could have turned his life around in the mid-to-late '70s, we might have many more great albums and thrilling concerts to enjoy from him. He obviously didn't turn it around though, so we have what we have, and so much of it is either great or very good, and even when it's not, I'll take it, because I love the man's voice and charisma, and because it's what we do have from him.

Tim C
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by Tim C »

Elvistheman, love it, great post

When someone has an audience, do not disrupt them with the purpose of stealing their audience.
When you do a favor do not make others notice your effort.
Do not be impressed by strong personalities.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

elvisistheman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisistheman wrote:
I don't see Juan making excuses for Elvis (as he explains above). I definitely don't make excuses for Elvis. The hard reality is, he achieved perhaps the most incredible, world-wide fame of any popular music singer ever (though Frank Sinatra and Michael Jackson come close on an international level), but he decidedly did not ever, in his entire lifetime, achieve the emotional and psychological maturity that is necessary to healthily navigate that fame-- a fame which is unimaginable to regular Joes and Janes, such as all of us on this board.

The longer that I read and learn about Elvis and his major life decisions, the more shocked that I am, at times, to see just how very, very poor some of those decisions were. (I do think that he was a wonderful human being in many ways; I don't want anyone to think that I'm turning into an Elvis-basher here either!!) The reasons for why Elvis made those poor decisions are widely varied.

I believe that some of them had to do with an unhealthily intense and enduring emotional attachment to his mother, which he never overcame, and which helped to wreck his marriage and which led to problems in his relations with women in general, and quite possibly, other emotional and psychological problems. (My own mother died suddenly, and violently, when I was nine years old, so I do perhaps have more sympathy for Elvis in his bad relationship decisions than some people would, but I still don't want to make excuses for him. I've never been a serial philanderer as he was to be sure!)

In retrospect, it seems that Elvis could have done so many things differently. It frustrates me to no end, sometimes, to think of him surrounding himself with the insular environment of the Memphis Mafia, and living with some of the ways of a much younger (and foolish) man, well into his thirties and even his early forties, and constantly taking heavy medications to go to sleep and to get up, and regularly seeing other women, even when he was married or in serious relationships, and not breaking away from the Colonel and being more of an independent, fearless person (artistically and otherwise), and having incredibly poor eating habits. I have no blinders on about Elvis, and I see all of these flaws in him, and I see how they terribly affected his studio recording career, his concerts, and his personal life. I see how, together, these flaws led him to a tragically early grave. It was an incredible shame.

At the very same time, though (and this is part of the tension that I personally live with, as a serious Elvis fan and collector), I can't stop wanting to hear the man, at all points of his career (even the heartbreaking points!), because for me, 1974-77 are just as much a part of the story of the "real Elvis" as 1954-58. The "real Elvis," i.e. not the one we wish for, but the real, actual Elvis, was obviously in a bad way in '74-77. In that vein, I have to honestly ask myself, is the work of '74-77 as artistically vibrant and compelling as '54-58? On-stage, definitely not, for the most part. In the studio, also not, really… but it's a bit of a loaded question for me, because while nothing is more purely exciting and life-affirming than the young Elvis at his peak, I do also truly love the latter-day, more emotionally complex Elvis which one hears in songs such as "Loving Arms" and Good Time Charlies' Got the Blues." I do wish that he would have regularly sung these songs, and others like them, live!! Ahh, the tension of being an Elvis fan!! :-)

If only he could have turned his life around in the mid-to-late '70s, we might have many more great albums and thrilling concerts to enjoy from him. He obviously didn't turn it around though, so we have what we have, and so much of it is either great or very good, and even when it's not, I'll take it, because I love the man's voice and charisma, and because it's what we do have from him.
Thank you. I could never say it like that! ::rocks