Nashville, Johnny Cash & Elvis

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
r&b

Nashville, Johnny Cash & Elvis

Post by r&b »

I have just returned from a 4 day trip to Nashville. Last time I was there was 20 years ago. To say the city has changed is an understatement. I hardly recognized it except for Broadway. The honky-tonks and bars are still there. The city is booming and in 10 years they except 100,000 more people to be living there. Anyway here are my thoughts. 20 years ago Elvis was a major presence there. His picture was everywhere. Music Row even had a tacky Elvis museum. It’s all different now. Much of Nashville caters to the current country music, even the Country Music Hall of Fame, (yes his gold Caddy is still in there). This brings me to Johnny Cash. He has a museum there. I must say it is one of the finest displays of anyone I have ever seen. I think everything Johnny owned is in there. Elvis is represented in there as well in a room devoted to Sun record artists. There was his recording contract for Heartbreak Hotel signed by the 3 ‘song writers’. There was a photo of him from the 50’s which I had never seen wearing a shirt, with the shirt right next to it. Very cool. There were all the vintage Sun publicity photos and the actual records. Other stuff included a pair of Perkins Blue Suede Shoes and a pair of Orbison’s glasses. Videos constantly playing of all the major Sun artists. I enjoyed that room very much. It’s the most Elvis I had seen in Nashville. Getting back to Cash, a full room was devoted to his TV/movie career. I didn’t realize he starred in movies with Kirk Douglas, Robert Redford, and Gregory Peck. He may not have been a great actor, but that resume outshines Elvis’ film career in a way. The most interesting room was Cash thru the years from the 50’s to the 2000s with headphones. Guess what had the longest line? The 2000s! People under 40 flocked to that to listen to his American recordings and the video for ‘Hurt’. I guess that says a lot to who is considered cooler to the younger generation. I bring this up because there was a recent topic about the difference between the image of Cash and Elvis to younger people. A guy singing a bare bones Nine Inch Nails song or a guy in a Sun dial. You be the judge. From what I saw, I think I know.

srovenstine

Re: Nashville, Johnny Cash & Elvis

Post by srovenstine »

Interesting take but comparing Cash's roles in movies to Elvis starring in Movies is at best a leap. Cash did some good parts on TV I remember in a Columbo and Little House on the Prairie. I guess he may have been as good an actor as Elvis but he wasn't a movie star in the sense Elvis was. As far as the hip part for the younger generation that may have been 10 years ago but I really don't see a hankering for Johnny Cash in today's youth. Now as I stated before I like Cash and Jerry Lee a lot but I have to be in the mood for it and in short time periods. I use my wife as a judge on music and she hates almost all my music and doesn't like Elvis, Johnny or Jerry Lee but she will listen to Elvis because of his voice she says the other two just grate at her. Just a poll of one but I'll take her word on it.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

srovenstine wrote:Interesting take but comparing Cash's roles in movies to Elvis starring in Movies is at best a leap. Cash did some good parts on TV I remember in a Columbo and Little House on the Prairie. I guess he may have been as good an actor as Elvis but he wasn't a movie star in the sense Elvis was. As far as the hip part for the younger generation that may have been 10 years ago but I really don't see a hankering for Johnny Cash in today's youth. Now as I stated before I like Cash and Jerry Lee a lot but I have to be in the mood for it and in short time periods. I use my wife as a judge on music and she hates almost all my music and doesn't like Elvis, Johnny or Jerry Lee but she will listen to Elvis because of his voice she says the other two just grate at her. Just a poll of one but I'll take her word on it.
Elvis was the bigger movie star, no doubt, but it would have been nice for him to have starred in movies with big names like that. It would have added a little credence to his film career which is seen as mostly a joke to many people. Yes Cash had some nice TV roles also, and they were represented as well.

brian

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:
srovenstine wrote:Interesting take but comparing Cash's roles in movies to Elvis starring in Movies is at best a leap. Cash did some good parts on TV I remember in a Columbo and Little House on the Prairie. I guess he may have been as good an actor as Elvis but he wasn't a movie star in the sense Elvis was. As far as the hip part for the younger generation that may have been 10 years ago but I really don't see a hankering for Johnny Cash in today's youth. Now as I stated before I like Cash and Jerry Lee a lot but I have to be in the mood for it and in short time periods. I use my wife as a judge on music and she hates almost all my music and doesn't like Elvis, Johnny or Jerry Lee but she will listen to Elvis because of his voice she says the other two just grate at her. Just a poll of one but I'll take her word on it.
Elvis was the bigger movie star, no doubt, but it would have been nice for him to have starred in movies with big names like that. It would have added a little credence to his film career which is seen as mostly a joke to many people. Yes Cash had some nice TV roles also, and they were represented as well.
Johnny Cash played in movies with Robert Redford and Gregory Peck?

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
Yup. The posters were hanging up. With Redford in Little Fauss and Big Halsy. With Peck in Walk The Line (also Tuesday Weld), 1970

brian

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
Yup. The posters were hanging up. With Redford in Little Fauss and Big Halsy. With Peck in Walk The Line (also Tuesday Weld), 1970
I don't think Johnny Cash appeared in either film.

I think he just contributed to the soundtracks.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
I don't think Johnny Cash appeared in either film.

I think he just contributed to the soundtracks.
OK. I was not familiar with them, I just saw the posters in the media room. I knew about the one with Kirk Douglas.

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

r&b wrote:I have just returned from a 4 day trip to Nashville. Last time I was there was 20 years ago. To say the city has changed is an understatement. I hardly recognized it except for Broadway. The honky-tonks and bars are still there. The city is booming and in 10 years they except 100,000 more people to be living there. Anyway here are my thoughts. 20 years ago Elvis was a major presence there. His picture was everywhere. Music Row even had a tacky Elvis museum. It’s all different now. Much of Nashville caters to the current country music, even the Country Music Hall of Fame, (yes his gold Caddy is still in there). This brings me to Johnny Cash. He has a museum there. I must say it is one of the finest displays of anyone I have ever seen. I think everything Johnny owned is in there. Elvis is represented in there as well in a room devoted to Sun record artists. There was his recording contract for Heartbreak Hotel signed by the 3 ‘song writers’. There was a photo of him from the 50’s which I had never seen wearing a shirt, with the shirt right next to it. Very cool. There were all the vintage Sun publicity photos and the actual records. Other stuff included a pair of Perkins Blue Suede Shoes and a pair of Orbison’s glasses. Videos constantly playing of all the major Sun artists. I enjoyed that room very much. It’s the most Elvis I had seen in Nashville. Getting back to Cash, a full room was devoted to his TV/movie career. I didn’t realize he starred in movies with Kirk Douglas, Robert Redford, and Gregory Peck. He may not have been a great actor, but that resume outshines Elvis’ film career in a way. The most interesting room was Cash thru the years from the 50’s to the 2000s with headphones. Guess what had the longest line? The 2000s! People under 40 flocked to that to listen to his American recordings and the video for ‘Hurt’. I guess that says a lot to who is considered cooler to the younger generation. I bring this up because there was a recent topic about the difference between the image of Cash and Elvis to younger people. A guy singing a bare bones Nine Inch Nails song or a guy in a Sun dial. You be the judge. From what I saw, I think I know.
I hear your point. I do think that Johnny Cash appeals more than Elvis to many younger Americans… but Johnny Cash lived into the '90s and the new millennium to make new music and to be a living (literally speaking) artistic presence in the marketplace and on the charts. That is obviously not the case with Elvis. He died almost 38 years ago, and given how long it has been since there has been any truly new music from him, I think that he is holding his appeal with music fans, both younger and older, quite well.

I do fervently wish that Elvis were as widely appreciated in the U.S. as he seems to be in the U.K. and Europe, but for some reason, much great American music (soul, blues, early rock and roll, etc.) has long been more appreciated by music fans outside of the U.S. than by most American listeners. As an American, this fact frustrates me to no end (in that it makes me embarrassed for my own country), but there's not much that I can do about it. I just continue to enjoy Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Howlin' Wolf, Otis Redding, and many others, and I try to tell my fellow countrymen about them as I can (when they are open to hearing about them!).

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild »

Well said elvisistheman..i agree & i am American also.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

r&b wrote:I have just returned from a 4 day trip to Nashville. Last time I was there was 20 years ago. To say the city has changed is an understatement. I hardly recognized it except for Broadway. The honky-tonks and bars are still there. The city is booming and in 10 years they except 100,000 more people to be living there. Anyway here are my thoughts. 20 years ago Elvis was a major presence there. His picture was everywhere. Music Row even had a tacky Elvis museum. It’s all different now. Much of Nashville caters to the current country music, even the Country Music Hall of Fame, (yes his gold Caddy is still in there). This brings me to Johnny Cash. He has a museum there. I must say it is one of the finest displays of anyone I have ever seen. I think everything Johnny owned is in there. Elvis is represented in there as well in a room devoted to Sun record artists. There was his recording contract for Heartbreak Hotel signed by the 3 ‘song writers’. There was a photo of him from the 50’s which I had never seen wearing a shirt, with the shirt right next to it. Very cool. There were all the vintage Sun publicity photos and the actual records. Other stuff included a pair of Perkins Blue Suede Shoes and a pair of Orbison’s glasses. Videos constantly playing of all the major Sun artists. I enjoyed that room very much. It’s the most Elvis I had seen in Nashville. Getting back to Cash, a full room was devoted to his TV/movie career. I didn’t realize he starred in movies with Kirk Douglas, Robert Redford, and Gregory Peck. He may not have been a great actor, but that resume outshines Elvis’ film career in a way. The most interesting room was Cash thru the years from the 50’s to the 2000s with headphones. Guess what had the longest line? The 2000s! People under 40 flocked to that to listen to his American recordings and the video for ‘Hurt’. I guess that says a lot to who is considered cooler to the younger generation. I bring this up because there was a recent topic about the difference between the image of Cash and Elvis to younger people. A guy singing a bare bones Nine Inch Nails song or a guy in a Sun dial. You be the judge. From what I saw, I think I know.
Nice post, but to compare the "guy in a Sun dial" you need to recall the Cash career circa 1974, not 2003.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

Swan Song is one of the most entertaining Columbo's ever. Cash was very good in it.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

I enjoyed Cash's "The Pride of Jesse Hallam" very much.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

stevelecher wrote:Swan Song is one of the most entertaining Columbo's ever. Cash was very good in it.
Agreed. They showed it on TV over here recently one Sunday afternoon and I caught some of it visiting my parents. We used to watch a lot of Columbo as kids.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

stevelecher wrote:Swan Song is one of the most entertaining Columbo's ever. Cash was very good in it.
Yes, he was very good. Maybe if Elvis had a chance to play a detective or a policeman he could be good also in such a role.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Nice post, but to compare the "guy in a Sun dial" you need to recall the Cash career circa 1974, not 2003.
Perhaps. They were pretty similar in 1974, Elvis giving concerts in his jumpsuits and Johnny always in black. Both catered mostly to country music record buyers at that point, with Cash the more hardcore country artist. What I was really trying to convey in my post, was, that except for Studio B where Elvis is still a major presence, he is almost a non entity in Nashville these days as opposed to the last time I visited in 1994, Elvis was everywhere back then, as the song goes. Not true today.

brian

Post by brian »

Wait until Johnny Cash has been gone for 38 years.

Topic author
Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

Johnny Cash got marketed right, they focus on his Folsom prison era, if people where reminded on 75% of his 70's crap and horrible 80's stuff, most people would shy away.

TheKingisthething

Post by TheKingisthething »

brian wrote:Wait until Johnny Cash has been gone for 38 years.
Yes, indeed!

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Dnorman90 wrote:Johnny Cash got marketed right, they focus on his Folsom prison era, if people where reminded on 75% of his 70's crap and horrible 80's stuff, most people would shy away.
Not really. Yes they do have a display on that for sure, but if you read my original post a lot was focused on his last great American recordings and videos. People remember how you went out, and the difference is, Cash went out on a much higher level of quality with those recordings than Elvis did. He was respected for thos recordings as much as he was for the prison gigs.

Topic author
Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

True, I personally I don't really care for the American recordings. It was mainly covers and I can't stand to hear his frail old voice. Not my cup of tea. Give me the sun years or Folsom era anyday. I don't really get the whole comparing Elvis to him, different genres completely. Same with Micheal Jackson and even the Beatles.

brian

Post by brian »

Dnorman90 wrote:True, I personally I don't really care for the American recordings. It was mainly covers and I can't stand to hear his frail old voice. Not my cup of tea. Give me the sun years or Folsom era anyday. I don't really get the whole comparing Elvis to him, different genres completely. Same with Micheal Jackson and even the Beatles.
I suppose it's because Cash is around the same age as Elvis and they both started out at around the same time.

There are a lot of fans that want to see Elvis marketed like Johnny Cash is.

But yeah not really a good comparison to compare their careers.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:
Dnorman90 wrote:True, I personally I don't really care for the American recordings. It was mainly covers and I can't stand to hear his frail old voice. Not my cup of tea. Give me the sun years or Folsom era anyday. I don't really get the whole comparing Elvis to him, different genres completely. Same with Micheal Jackson and even the Beatles.
I suppose it's because Cash is around the same age as Elvis and they both started out at around the same time.

And I didnt mean for that to happen. All I was giving is my observance of Nashville today than when I was there in 1994. Less of Elvis is evident and lot more Cash is. There is also a feature in the Country Music HOF on Dylan/Cash and their connection and how Nashville Skyline came about. Clearly in 2015, Johnny Cash seems the hipper artist in the city of Nashville.

brian

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:

And I didnt mean for that to happen. All I was giving is my observance of Nashville today than when I was there in 1994. Less of Elvis is evident and lot more Cash is. There is also a feature in the Country Music HOF on Dylan/Cash and their connection and how Nashville Skyline came about. Clearly in 2015, Johnny Cash seems the hipper artist in the city of Nashville.
I didn't mean you it's that I've seen Elvis fans compare Elvis and Johnny Cash quite a bit over the years.

Johnny Cash should be more hip than Elvis in Nashville because he was an actual country singer while Elvis wasn't.

I don't think they should have been including him so much in the history of the Nashville country music scene.

Topic author
Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:

I didn't mean you it's that I've seen Elvis fans compare Elvis and Johnny Cash quite a bit over the years.

Johnny Cash should be more hip than Elvis in Nashville because he was an actual country singer while Elvis wasn't.

I don't think they should have been including him so much in the history of the Nashville country music scene.
This... Completely different genres of music. Elvis was rock.

Topic author
Claus

Post by Claus »

Dnorman90 wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:

This... Completely different genres of music. Elvis was rock.
He was, but only for a few years.