Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Re: As you've never heard him before?

Post by joshferrell »

Matthew wrote:
Hound Dawg wrote:So the duets album is good?
I wouldn't say that, but it was relatively more successful than Viva Elvis.
Viva Elvis (The CD) was doomed from the start, a bare minimum CD with only 9 songs and a short instrumental...while MJ's cd of the same stuff was a two disc set with close to 30 songs, some in medley form.. :wtf:

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

I enjoyed Viva Elvis (even though there were "duets" on it). But the idea of a whole album of duets with a dead person doesn't appeal to me. I probably wouldn't be interested in the singers, whoever they are.

Is the duet album generally considered better than Viva Elvis? Maybe I should check it out after all...?

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

The duets album sold somewhere around 500,000 didn't it? Viva Elvis didn't get anywhere near that. The duets album or at least some content from it will also no doubt be recycled for years.

Collectors want things like the wire recording of course, but that's a separate issue really. The wire recording will not make a release appeal to the wider public and so is not on the agenda for a big mainstream release. This duets project could be interesting if done very well and with suitable partners. At the very least, every fan of each of those partners will know about the release and some might think about Elvis a little more favourably if their fave artist wanted to be involved. It also means a lot of free publicity for the project. Imagine how many combined Facebook followers those who are taking part will have.

If dealing only with audio, and Sony is, it's getting tough to think of what they can release to keep things fresh and interesting. We have FTD for rarities and have had outtakes coming out of our ears for years now. The "I'm an Elvis Fan" project didn't go as well as was hoped, so they probably weren't in a rush to try another greatest hits type release and, with the best will in the world, a legacy issue of one of the better sessions is not going to make the kind of sales that they are probably expecting for the duets project. In recent years, the only album to make really significant sales in the UK was the Nations Favourite Elvis Songs, which hit 300,000 or so. That's no mean feat for yet another greatest hits type release, but there was a pretty decent advertising budget, as well as the publicity from the tv show itself. A standalone greatest hits is not going to create any buzz at all really, but a duets project just might if done well.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:I would never write a release off until it is released but Im not much tempted by this either and I am not upset anymore. We have to face reality here. The man is long gone. Unless something gets discovered buried in someone's basement, there is nothing left to release besides attempts like this. Lets give credit that they are at least trying to make a release that may be of interest to some. I know it is frustrating when proper blu-rays of movies & TV shows have yet been released or full recordings from EOT shows but hey, I have given up waiting. Id like to know which market is deader for Elvis right now, CDs or video. I would say video at this point as nothing interesting has come out in a while.
I think the issue here is that there is plenty of material that has only been released on FTD that could be pulled together for a retail-level "80th anniversary" boxed set. Add in a handful of unreleased numbers from Vegas 69, On Tour and outtakes from the 60s (all of which exist) and the 1955 live song, and hardcore fans would shell out for the box as well. That's all that was needed.

Problem is, I think ONLY hardcore fans will shell out for such a release. I think this has been proven with the various Elvis outtakes & live boxsets the label has released over the years (Close-Up, Las Vegas box, etc). This other idea has a more mainstream appeal, but less hardcore appeal. The label is probably catering to the mainstream this time.
I think it depends what the new product actually is - is it Elvis with orchestra and a couple of guest spots, or is it a full duets album? If it's a full duets album then it could reach a wider audience IF the artists involved are actually well known, which wasn't the case outside of the US for the Christmas duets CD. Duets albums using old recordings CAN sound very good - technology has improved a great deal, and the Barry Manilow duets album that came out last year is a case in point. Technically, it sounds very good. The same isn't true of the Streisand/Elvis duet. But the people involved need to be household names across the world, and that wasn't the case on the last effort. Buble seems to be almost expected on such endeavours these days - and there's nothing wrong with that as he has a wide appeal from teens to grannies and is quite adaptable musically - plus he has recorded fine versions of Can't Help Falling in Love and Always on my Mind as well as other songs Elvis sang but are not associated with him. But beyond that, we shall just have to wait and see. A simple orchestrated Elvis CD without duets on each track will, most likely, bomb, no matter how well it's done.

gantonicel@aol.com
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by gantonicel@aol.com »

Viva Elvis had sold 80,000 copies in the US, and reached #44 on the Billboard Chart . those sales were a couple of years ago, so it might be a little higher now . According to Essential Elvis magazine , the Viva Elvis CD received certification in the UK. Since the remix was probably funded by Circe De Solee, Sony likely made a small profit from it . For me it was a disappointment , skimpy at 9 tracks. I did like a few of the remixes , especially Bossa Nova Baby. Then again some of the tracks I didn't care for at all.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I am expecting a COMPLETE and proper reissue of his entire USA LP catalog from 1956-1977 on both CD and Bluray spec. Box set or sets would be just fine. I am not expecting any new material.

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Now that we know the title of the cd and more or less what it is going to be, I hope they use a really cool catching-eye picture for the cover of the cd 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Never listened to neither the Duets nor the Viva Elvis CD... :wink:

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

elvisland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Mood:

Post by elvisland »

If this is the special release they can keep it not interested in the bloody least

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

I understand the idea of Viva Elvis, It's the Cirque du Soleil "soundtrack". I was excited because i bought The Beatles "Love" and was amazed by it. They just didn't take the same approach and it was just awful, I listened to 2 tracks off it and sold it to a friend. I had listened to the x-mas duets and vowed to never listen to any more of that rubbish. If this is the big surprise, I am done wishing for cool mainstream releases. I am aware FTD is running out as well, but am I pleased with the releases still. It's unfortunate that the mainstream don't get to see Elvis in light we see him with FTD, but for years there has been nothing anyone can do. Old people are in charge and are catering to other old people.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Dnorman90 wrote:I understand the idea of Viva Elvis, It's the Cirque du Soleil "soundtrack". I was excited because i bought The Beatles "Love" and was amazed by it. They just didn't take the same approach and it was just awful, I listened to 2 tracks off it and sold it to a friend. I had listened to the x-mas duets and vowed to never listen to any more of that rubbish. If this is the big surprise, I am done wishing for cool mainstream releases. I am aware FTD is running out as well, but am I pleased with the releases still. It's unfortunate that the mainstream don't get to see Elvis in light we see him with FTD, but for years there has been nothing anyone can do. Old people are in charge and are catering to other old people.
The only thing good on that ''Christmas Duets'' album were the overdubs to
- Winter Wonderland
- If I Get Home On Christmas Day
- The First Noel

All of which feautured no duets.. but just beautiful arrangements, keeping the mood of the originals yet, upgrading them tastefully.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild »

Yea hes been dead 38 years and hes not making new music..you need to tell Sony/EPE this so they can stop forcing and trying to make new music!! They should be working with whats in the vault or private collectors! I at least thought an On Tour Box would be a no-brainer this year..just like I thought a mainstream Sun release would be released last year.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Moonchild wrote:Yea hes been dead 38 years and hes not making new music..you need to tell Sony/EPE this so they can stop forcing and trying to make new music!! They should be working with whats in the vault or private collectors! I at least thought an On Tour Box would be a no-brainer this year..just like I thought a mainstream Sun release would be released last year.
An on tour project could still be released.. i very much doubt that a overdub released is considered a legacy release.

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild »

I hope your right Johnny2523..I doubt Ernst would come to Elvis Week to promote this trash! I was able to talk to Ernst for a few minutes last year at Elvis Week..and he did say some nice releases coming for 2015.
Last edited by Moonchild on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary1
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Gary1 »

keninlincs wrote:i shall wait till i hear it before i pull it to pieces
Same here. It's a shame others don't.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Moonchild wrote:I hope your right Johnny2523..I doubt Ernst would come to Elvis Week to promote this trash! I was able to talk to Ernst for a few minutes last year at Elvis Week..and he did say some nice releases coming for 2015.
it would not make sence for ernst and a guy from sony legacy to show up to promote a overdub release thats not part of elvis his legacy releases, i'm still hopeful that an on tour project will be released this year

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Moonchild wrote:I hope your right Johnny2523..I doubt Ernst would come to Elvis Week to promote this trash! I was able to talk to Ernst for a few minutes last year at Elvis Week..and he did say some nice releases coming for 2015.
And what were those nice releases coming....? :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

sgoodyear62
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by sgoodyear62 »

When I read this thread the first thing I thought was "Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!" Now I have calmed down and will take a wait and see attitude when this is released. Not what I was expecting or hoping for this year...but..we shall see.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

sgoodyear62 wrote:When I read this thread the first thing I thought was "Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!" Now I have calmed down and will take a wait and see attitude when this is released. Not what I was expecting or hoping for this year...but..we shall see.
Precisely.

I would say that while the odds are against it being compelling in any way, I do want to wait to hear it before passing such judgment. You never can tell.

What they need is a very raw gem like the version of ALLC that they found and fully produced as essentially a brand new record. It was something that needed production; it wasn't something that was re-produced by tearing it apart.

I don't know if they can find something that perfect again, much less produce it perfectly. So, these experiments are about all we're going to get.

I want to hear it. Sure, we could hope for something unusual turned up in an attic, and that may happen over the next 20 years or so because people don't live forever. But until then, we'll just pretend.

rjm

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
And what were those nice releases coming....? :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.
Hello there..he didnt say. I mentioned the wire recording and he said ill have to wait and see..

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Hound Dawg wrote:So the duets album is good?
Damn good.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by billyblues »

garyt wrote:Do you remember Vic Corona(?) said he heard one of the new songs and he was blown away!
He wasn't referring to this. The Vic Colona stuff was the Hayride '56 rehearsal.

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Moonchild wrote:Yea hes been dead 38 years and hes not making new music..you need to tell Sony/EPE this so they can stop forcing and trying to make new music!! They should be working with whats in the vault or private collectors! I at least thought an On Tour Box would be a no-brainer this year..just like I thought a mainstream Sun release would be released last year.

Sony is a business. Their goal is to make money. An On Tour box really would have no appeal anymore to the masses. It would make a profit but not move many units. This release has more mass appeal to the consumer & would sell more, Im almost positive. Its all about the bottom line. With all the hoopla about the massive TTWII box last year, how many did they sell, especially to the casual CD buyer? I even know hardcore collectors who passed it up. A mainstream Sun release again? Really? After Sunrise and Elvis At Sun , how many times can u go to the well for the same water? Give them credit for trying something unique. I probably wont buy it however. I think my Elvis CD buying days are over,,,unless...of course

those lost 50's outtakes somehow appear
a 1957 live show - the same as above
Memphis 1961 Charity Show - see above again
Thats about it

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by MaryAnn »

luckyjackson1 wrote:Never listened to neither the Duets nor the Viva Elvis CD... :wink:
Your name fits. You are lucky.

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

Excuse my ignorance but what is this "wire recording"?