Mama Liked The Roses Single Cover

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

skatterbrane

Re: Mama Liked The Roses Single Cover

Post by skatterbrane »

It is good to know my memory has not played tricks on me in this case. Thank you Keith.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I do not like Mama Liked The Roses, either. The Wonder Of You is a much better pick by the DJs.

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there! :D :D :D.
Keith wrote:
Listing Notice - Mama Liked The Roses-The Wonder Of You.JPG
Live Session Log - The Wonder Of You-01.JPG
Keith
Thank you Keith, once again you have the facts right, no bullying just straight answers! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by joshferrell »

we all know that The Col blurred out the last supper so he wouldn't have to pay Leonardo Da Vinci any royalties....lol...

joshferrell

Post by joshferrell »

sundial77 wrote:Does anyone remember the laughable newspaper article from '77 where P.J.Proby made a whole song and dance about this very photograph?? From what I recall, he was claming the photo was taken in Graceland in August '77 and was given to him by Vernon..anyone remember this??
so they posed his body with his eyes open for a photo after he died? basically that's what he's hinting at? lol

joshferrell

Post by joshferrell »

joshferrell wrote:
sundial77 wrote:Does anyone remember the laughable newspaper article from '77 where P.J.Proby made a whole song and dance about this very photograph?? From what I recall, he was claming the photo was taken in Graceland in August '77 and was given to him by Vernon..anyone remember this??
so they posed his body with his eyes open for a photo after he died? basically that's what he's hinting at? lol
Like this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2450832/Victorian-photographs-relatives-posing-alongside-dead-bodies.html

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

skatterbrane wrote:Stay Away was also the intended A side. Sorry I have no documentation on hand, only my memory.

Don't Cry Daddy (maudlin ballad) won out over the intended A side, Rubberneckin'.
That's too bad. And "Don't Cry Daddy" is far from a "maudlin ballad," being perhaps the most popular of his American Sound single A-sides, worldwide.

Keith wrote:Image

Keith
I am familiar with these RCA forms. What exactly do we learn from these scans by reading carefully? The one typed up on March 20 shows any number of edits and changes after that date, including a handwritten notation by the live track. Who wrote this, when, and why? We do not know. The page from April 13, made after the final overdubs for "The Wonder Of You," shows no designations, but is obviously something prepared just before release of the single.

As I mentioned earlier, common sense tells us which track would be considered best for promotion, and definitive evidence would be trade ads RCA placed for the release, likely during late April 1970. Can anyone help with this? Such an RCA ad might be found in one of these issues, for example:

Billboard
April 18, 1970
April 25, 1970
May 2, 1970
May 9, 1970

Cash Box
April 18, 1970
April 25, 1970
May 2, 1970
May 9, 1970

If I uncover something more, I will post it to this topic. I'll be very surprised if I find RCA promoting "Mama Liked The Roses" at retail and radio in April 1970, though. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Keith
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by Keith »

If you are indeed familiar with these RCA forms John, you will also be familiar with what they are.

The listing notice shows that 'Mama Liked The Roses' was chosen by RCA to be the A-Side of the single 47-9835 as it is listed before 'The Wonder Of You' on the listing, this is also confirmed on the recording information page as 'The Wonder Of You' is shown as being released on "47-9835-B" (the B-Side). It also shows it's release on Greatest Hits Volume 1 (AHL1 2347).

Regardless of what eventually became the best selling side or what was promoted as the A and B sides, RCA originally intended 'Mama Liked The Roses' to be the A-Side of this single.

Keith

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Well it is true, strictly speaking Don't Cry Daddy is not maudlin, but rather it is sad, maybe even tragic. However a song's popularity does not depend on its not being maudlin. I do not have the proof, but maybe Keith does, I am pretty sure Rubberneckin' was originally intended as the A side too.

Now, "originally intended" does not mean they could not have changed their mind at the last minute. Once you change your mind, it is no longer what you originally intended.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:Dont like this cover at all,looks very amaturish and it has nothing to do with the A side that is the main selling point of this single.
A testimony to the graphic design skills of Tom Parker!
I

In the midst of the comeback we get this garbage to front theWonder of You. As pathetic as the back cover of From Elvis In Memphis. Parker was devoid of any talent save bullying. Sadly he wasnt a good bully where it mattered.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

Billboard: May 16, 1970
Billboard-5.16.70.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Post by Keith »

Here is a review of the single from Elvis Monthly (Issue 125 - June 1970), also stating that 'The Wonder Of You' was the B-Side of the new stateside single
EM-125-June-1970.jpg
Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Post by Keith »

skatterbrane wrote:Well it is true, strictly speaking Don't Cry Daddy is not maudlin, but rather it is sad, maybe even tragic. However a song's popularity does not depend on its not being maudlin. I do not have the proof, but maybe Keith does, I am pretty sure Rubberneckin' was originally intended as the A side too.

Now, "originally intended" does not mean they could not have changed their mind at the last minute. Once you change your mind, it is no longer what you originally intended.
'Don't Cry Daddy' was RCA's choice for the A-Side of the single 47-9768, as the listing notice below shows
Listing Notice - Dont Cry Daddy-Rubberneckin.jpg
Keith

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Thank you Keith.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by George Smith »

I'm in the minority but I've always liked the semi-classical effect of the cover image.

Not outstanding design but striking and effective in a non-spectacular fashion.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Keith

Post by Keith »

Regarding the cover of the single, look at the original undoctored image used - can anyone see any roses in that picture? I can't!
Mama Liked The Roses-Original Photo.jpg
Why would anyone alter and paint in roses to promote 'The Wonder Of You'?
47-9835.jpg
I think the cover itself makes it clear what the intended A-Side was!

Keith

drjohncarpenter

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Billboard: May 16, 1970

Thanks. Unfortunately, the ad doesn't advance the argument one way or another. It does show the incredible design skills of Tom Parker, though. Do you have anything from the dates I suggested, articles perhaps discussing RCA's plans regarding the release?

Keith wrote:I think the cover itself makes it clear what the intended A-Side was!

Keith
I already posted the picture sleeves on page 1, and they don't make anything clear regarding the A-side. The type-set is just as large for "The Wonder Of You."

In lieu of anything else, common sense needs to be our guide, it seems.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Keith

Post by Keith »

drjohncarpenter wrote:common sense needs to be our guide, it seems.
Is that all the research you could come up with on this matter, John? 70,000 posts on this forum - I expected so much more from you!

After the official paper work, doctored images on the cover of the single, and review I've shown, some people still cannot seem to grasp reality - 'Mama Liked The Roses' was the A-Side RCA intended. Their loss I suppose, but its expected on this forum

Keith

drjohncarpenter

Keith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:common sense needs to be our guide, it seems.
Is that all the research you could come up with on this matter, John? 70,000 posts on this forum - I expected so much more from you!

After the official paper work, doctored images on the cover of the single, and review I've shown, some people still cannot seem to grasp reality - 'Mama Liked The Roses' was the A-Side RCA intended. Their loss I suppose, but its expected on this forum

Keith
Thank you for the compliments. I just do not see anything of a convincing nature regarding this crucial matter, as I have clearly stated.

Somehow, though, I am not going to lose any sleep over it, and I trust you will not, either. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Keith

Post by Keith »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thank you for the compliments. I just do not see anything of a convincing nature regarding this crucial matter, as I have clearly stated.

Somehow, though, I am not going to lose any sleep over it, and I trust you will not, either. ;-)
I won't lose any sleep over this either John, I just come on here and show true facts now and again - something others don't take the time, or the research, to do - or perhaps they don't have the right sources to begin with!

Food for thought :wink:

Keith

drjohncarpenter

Keith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thank you for the compliments. I just do not see anything of a convincing nature regarding this crucial matter, as I have clearly stated.

I won't lose any sleep over this either John, I just come on here and show true facts now and again - something others don't take the time, or the research, to do - or perhaps they don't have the right sources to begin with!
FECC is certainly a place for both fact and hearsay, like any discussion forum on the internet. Fortunately, the wheat gets separated from the chaff more often than not, thanks to many good members like yourself who try to share knowledge when possible, following the standard I set with those "70,000 posts on this forum" you so smartly cited. Here is a small sample, just a thousand examples across a dozen years of membership.

Read and enjoy:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=drjohncarpenter

And keep aiming high, whenever you have time away from your excellent web site. We appreciate it. :smt023

::rocks

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

The cut outs on the picture sleeve showing disc is usually the front side or A-sides I have seen. There are probably exceptions. Haven't checked thoroughly.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

I don't really think Fool was the "A" side over Steamroller Blues, that Mama could have been picked over Wonder Of You or Rubberneckin was picked over Don't Cry Daddy. If so, those decisions seem lousy today and shows the public to be smarter than the promotional geniuses at RCA.

BTW, in my town, Steamroller got a lot of play on top 40 stations and Fool got nice play on an easy listening channel we had on at the office.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Keith wrote:

I just come on here and show true facts now and again - something others don't take the time,...

Keith
You are so right..facts nowadays dont count any more..."common sense"...is the fitting word here now that is used when facts are missing...please visit more often Keith. Its a pleasure for me reading post by someone who is also interested in facts, records and dates and not in "common sense" as a substitude for missing facts, errors, mis-interpretations, speculations and yes....utter nonsense.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D-
drjohncarpenter wrote:And keep aiming high, whenever you have time away from your excellent web site. We appreciate it :smt023.
If you appreciate so much Keith´s website why do you keep praising the dead, old & outdated website: http://www.elvisrecordings.com/, and use it as your main Elvis recording website?. :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.